• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PersonaGAF- which Persona to buy?

Mario007

So there's a big sale on Persona, Persona 2 and Persona 3 portable going on PSN right now for the PSP/Vita. I've missed out on this franchise during the PS2 era and would like to get in as I've heard a lot of good things. I wanted to know which Persona is the best to jump into though. I've heard that prior to P3 those games were grindy as fuck and unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to simply grind my way through a game.

Looking at the prices right now:
Persona 1: 5 euro
Persona 2 and 3: 25 euro
and I can also find P4 Golden online for about 25 euro.

I can only really spend 25-30 euro at most. So GAF with which game to start?

cj_iwakura

Well, they're all grindy to an extent. P2 has the best story, and you can get through it MUCH quicker than P3/4, and it hits the ground running.
(P2: 30-40 hours, P3: 70-90), P4: 50-60)

Also, you may find it unplayable once you play 3/4 like most, so I say start with P2.

P1 is good, but very alienating since it's a dated first person dungeon crawler with weird formation-based combat.

Soulflarz

Banned
All of em.

If you dont like grindy?
Skip right ahead to 3 and then 4, no relation to 1/2 IIRC. 3 and 4 are canon to each other (same world, connected moreso in p4arena)

*i havent played 2
And i didnt like 1. Its very awkward nowadays. And whoever hurts the most gets the most xp
So if person1 is strong against most enemies in a dungeon, he'll be way higher than the "useless for the moment" guy in the dungeon, leaving an awkward space
I beat p1 with 2 characters way overpowered and 3 very underpowered. Prob just me

Akihidas

3, 4 Golden and then play Arena if you're into fighting games.
I've yet to play 2 but it's there waiting on my vita, I've heard good things but the first 2 are much different from 3 and 4.

Soulflarz

Banned
3 really is a solid game though! 4 is really good but its more mechanically...er
Balanced
So id say 3 then 4, its easier to go forward than backwards

NotLiquid

I say start with 3 so you can appreciate 4 once you get into it all the more. The latter is the best in the series if you ask me, but 3 still feels like it went against a lot of conventions in the JRPG genre for it's time which makes it pretty interesting.

That and, mechanically, 4 changes certain things quite a lot. 3 is the basic and most purest form of it.

Asharakk

Start with Persona 3. Starting with Persona 4 just ain't fair to Persona 3 which will probably feel like a letdown after playing the superior one first. Persona 3 is however totally awesome in it's own right.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Personally I'm really fond of P2:EP, but I guess it depends on what you're after. P2 is a more traditional JRPG in many ways while P3 and P4 are focused on the social sim. and random-generated dungeouns.

If you dont like grindy?
Skip right ahead to 3 and then 4, no relation to 1/2 IIRC. 3 and 4 are canon to each other (same world, connected moreso in p4arena)

*i havent played 2
And i didnt like 1. Its very awkward nowadays. And whoever hurts the most gets the most xp
So if person1 is strong against most enemies in a dungeon, he'll be way higher than the "useless for the moment" guy in the dungeon, leaving an awkward space
I beat p1 with 2 characters way overpowered and 3 very underpowered. Prob just me

All 4/5 are connected, but the 1/2 connections to 3/4 are more subtle. P4 Arena sort of made them all connect due to circumstances in that game.

Forget about Persona 1, the story is non-existent and the combat is plain boring, game didn't age well.

Persona 2 has a good story if you play both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment and the combat is okay, although also feels a bit dated.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are up to you.
If you prefer darker tone, then Persona 3.
If not, go all for Persona 4.

PGHUpVw.png

LuchaShaq

Banned
Persona 4 golden BUY IT.

I prefer the female addition in P3p over the FES content, but that is a fine line.

Don't bother with P1-2.

So there's a big sale on Persona, Persona 2 and Persona 3 portable going on PSN right now for the PSP/Vita. I've missed out on this franchise during the PS2 era and would like to get in as I've heard a lot of good things. I wanted to know which Persona is the best to jump into though. I've heard that prior to P3 those games were grindy as fuck and unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to simply grind my way through a game.

The "Persona" experience that has had decent success isn't really found in Persona 1 or either of the Persona 2 games. They are much more like mainline SMT games (basically relatively pure dungeon crawlers).

Iif it's "good things you've heard about Persona" that has sparked your interest I'd recommend Persona 3 Portable or Persona 4 Golden.

I'd probably give the edge to Golden. Persona 3 Portable gives you more bang for the buck , since there's some decent differences between the stories for MC and FemC in P3P, but its missing some of the stuff found in the PS2 versions , some of the animated cutscenes are missing and the Answer from the FES version is also gone (but if grinding with little story isn't you thing this probably won't bother you much).

Golden has everything found in the PS2 version of Persona 4 and some extras, so its a much more definitive experience.

Mario007

If you dont like grindy?

*i havent played 2
How much canon is there between 3 and 4. Like if I play 4 first would it spoil much of 3 for me?
Forget about Persona 1, the story is non-existent and the combat is plain boring, game didn't age well.

Persona 2 has a good story if you play both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment and the combat is okay, although also feels a bit dated.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are up to you.
If you prefer darker tone, then Persona 3.
If not, go all for Persona 4.
I think only Innocent Sin is up for the Vita. Is it better than Eternal Punishment?
Persona 3 FES and P4 Golden
Can you get 3 FES on the EU PS store for the Vita, though?

Simzyy

Start with 3. I started with 4 and went back to play 3. The gameplay in 4 is better so going to 3 was slightly annoying at first (but it's not a big deal).

I also preferred the story in 3 to 4. But 4 has a better cast of characters.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
How much canon is there between 3 and 4. Like if I play 4 first would it spoil much of 3 for me?

No, not at all. There are just minor references between them, which aren't significant to the story.

I would suggest starting with P4 and take on P3 after that.

Soulflarz

Banned

I think only Innocent Sin is up for the Vita. Is it better than Eternal Punishment?

FES is the console version.

And it wont. However it will probably lead you to wanting to play arena. Im starting arena tomorrow
Apparently that spoils 3. Id hope it does for the sake of plot

It's kinda confusing but Persona 2 is a two part game.

Innocent Sin is Persona 2 Part 1 and Eternal Punishment is Persona 2 Part 2.

I personally prefer Innocent Sin as a game but EP has an amazing ending if you played Innocent Sin beforehand.

Do 3 and 4 first.

first 2 aren't as good

I kind of disagree with you here. I played the PSP version of Persona 1 , and its a solid game, if you're the sort of person, like me, who enjoys things like FFIV/V/VI Advance or the Dawn of Souls / PSP rereleases of FF / FFII or other retro (style) RPG games.

They really aren't what people are talking about when they say "Persona" though, so I pretty much agree, that 1 and 2 shouldn't really be used to see what you think of that experience.

No, not at all. There are just minor references between them, which aren't significant to the story.

I would suggest starting with P4 and take on P3 after that.

Unless you play Persona 4 Arena, which is really Persona 3: Arena Featuring Persona 4. That game ties the whole series together in a way.

cj_iwakura

Both IS and EP are playable on Vita, one's a PSP game the other's a PS1 classic.

EP is better, but you have to play IS first. EP spoils IS in the first five minutes.

And 4 doesn't spoil 3 at all, just some minor connections.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Skip the first one. It's really not a good game. I'd recommend starting with P3, either the FES or the PSP version.

Both IS and EP are playable on Vita, one's a PSP game the other's a PS1 classic.

EP's not on the EU store, though, which can be a problem on the Vita.

To answer this one. No P3 FES was the "extended edition" of P3, and as such its a PS2 game, so its not playable on the Vita. Not sure if they even did it as one of their emulated PS2 games on the PS3.

Dantis

Play 3 or 4. They're two of the best JRPGs ever made.

Unless you play Persona 4 Arena, which is really Persona 3: Arena Featuring Persona 4. That game ties the whole series together in a way.

Yeah, a really shitty, haphazard way.

Also, if you're in the EU, P3P is on sale right now.

How should I go about playing Persona 2? Surely going from the PSP version of Innocent Sin to the butchered PS1 version of Eternal Punishment would ruin things? Any chances of a localisation for EP?

cj_iwakura

How should I go about playing Persona 2? Surely going from the PSP version of Innocent Sin to the butchered PS1 version of Eternal Punishment would ruin things? Any chances of a localisation for EP?

EP PS1 is by no means butchered. It had a fantastic localization.

And EP PSP is never getting localized.

Dantis

Zero. Like, literally.

The PS1 version is okay though. The translation is alright, and the only other differences are the names of characters.

FluxWaveZ

It wouldn't really ruin anything, but there's a definite drop in refinement because of changes from the PSP version. I'd say what you'd miss the most is the localization and soundtrack.

However, there's no chance for a localization of the EP PSP version at all, so you have to play the PS1 version if you're going to play it at all.

Zero. Like, literally.

The PS1 version is okay though. The translation is alright, and the only other differences are the names of characters.

Yeah, that's how we ended up getting the PS1 version released on PSN at this ridiculously late date, they apparently tried to get the PSP version through but for some reason they can't talk about it didn't happen, so it was the best way to get the full game available.

Play 3 or 4. They're two of the best JRPGs ever made.

Yeah, a really shitty, haphazard way.

Also, if you're in the EU, P3P is on sale right now.

Of course you would show up right when I mention Arena.

BTW, if you can't deal with old school, dated game mechanics, old school graphics, random encounters, or maze like dungeons with traps, don't play either P1 or P2IS/EP

PERSONA 3!!! then P4G

fates

I kind of disagree with you here. I played the PSP version of Persona 1 , and its a solid game, if you're the sort of person, like me, who enjoys things like FFIV/V/VI Advance or the Dawn of Souls / PSP rereleases of FF / FFII or other retro (style) RPG games.

I found that Persona 1 has actually aged worse than most of the games you listed. The clunky battle system didn't help matters, especially when there is a really high encounter rate. There are a lot of great ideas in that game, but for me it became hard to appreciate them with the rest of the game.

But yeah I'd start with Persona 4. It's an entertaining entry point.

Dantis

Of course you would show up right when I mention Arena.

BTW, if you can't deal with old school, dated game mechanics, old school graphics, random encounters, or maze like dungeons with traps, don't play either P1 or P2IS/EP

My ears were burning. ;)

Top Bottom