• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe Closed Beta Giveaway

Ishmae1

Huge ME3 MP fan, but I'm not feeling the synergy with multiple players in this one. The classes are hard to tell apart visually and the powers on many frames serve the same roles (augment, single target dmg, AE, group power) The blueprint / collection flow is completely nonexistent. It's great that I have plans for a new frame... and no idea or hints as to how to find the armor pieces I need to build it.

The card system reset was a big disruption; from soloing mid level runs no problem to getting worked over on early ones multiple times. Ah, beta.

Xanathus

I haven't really had this game on my radar till now since it's coming out on Steam, but is this game still just as nickle-and-dimey as this guy posted? I'm a big fan of the ME3 multiplayer but if they're going to squeeze the shit out of you for money in this game then I don't think I'm even going to try it.

I'm fine with the helmet prices because they're completely optional (at least for now?), but everything else is tied to a highly exploitative "free to play" scheme. Being allowed to pay for unlocks if you're impatient is a fine f2p tradition, but the alternative here has clearly been designed to waste your time, and A LOT of it.
And then there are the one time use upgrade items without which your frame will be significantly gimped, with the alternative to paying being playing the game at exactly the right time when these items become available for half an hour once a week or two.

The process of acquiring a new warframe:
Buy it using platinum
OR
Repeat one boss fight dozens of times for three blueprints.
Repeat some relevant missions a bunch more times for materials.
Start crafting the components.
Come back next day.
Buy the warframe blueprint, start crafting (assuming you have the materials)
Come back in three days.

Congratulations, you now own a new warframe, but if you've been playing for a while, you're likely to have filled both free warframe slots. Use platinum to expand your storage... every time you buy a new warframe using platinum? Also be sure to buy some reactors, otherwise you'll only have access to half of that warframe's upgrade tree. You wouldn't want that!

I've been thinking of buying some platinum because the core game here is really quite good, but every time I look at the platinum market, I just get grossed out, so for now I took my free to play money to Path of Exile where I will never be asked to pay for access to half of my character's skill tree. Also, I now have a pet frog. Can you own a (space) frog in Warframe? I THINK NOT!

jdl

Banned
is anyone else seeing a performance hit after the update? The game is chuggy now and I can't even play it :(

jdl

Banned
I haven't really had this game on my radar till now since it's coming out on Steam, but is this game still just as nickle-and-dimey as this guy posted? I'm a big fan of the ME3 multiplayer but if they're going to squeeze the shit out of you for money in this game then I don't think I'm even going to try it.

Well, I've put 12 hours into the game and enjoyed it all without paying a dime. But his complaints about acquiring new warframes is valid. The game basically gives you a very blatant choice - either fork over a couple bucks or face a mountain of grinding. But realistically, the entire game is basically a grind regardless, with the focus being a string of dungeony instances, collecting loot, and leveling.

Xanathus

Well, I've put 12 hours into the game and enjoyed it all without paying a dime. But his complaints about acquiring new warframes is valid. The game basically gives you a very blatant choice - either fork over a couple bucks or face a mountain of grinding. But realistically, the entire game is basically a grind regardless, with the focus being a string of dungeony instances, collecting loot, and leveling.
I think I'll still give it a shot when it comes out on Steam, worst sounding thing is how you have to wait for real time in order to craft things. That's 90's html online games bullshit right there.

Bombless

The "Wait til completion" while annoying doesn't stop you from playing. And since you want credits you need to keep playing anyway.

Also unlike ME3 your strenght is entirely dependant on your weapons, not powers (and most if not all weapons are craftable). Besides looks Warframes matter little. Especially now with the new upgrade system. Yes, some of those warframes are more efficient killers than others (due to AoE damage powers, also 90% of the "support" powers are pointless) but the energy system makes it impossible to rely only on powers.

Tip : The Excalibur warframe is (imo) a very good starting class with a good mix of damage/utility powers.

FloatOn

I've been watching some gameplay videos on this today and it looks great. At the very least it will provide a solid distraction between bigger games.

Will download.

Top Bottom