• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

BumRush

This might be slightly off topic, but does anyone know a good place to get the digital copies for a decent price? I can't afford a 4k tv yet, but I'm trying to build up my digital library in the meantime,

I've seen you posting over in the BST thread and I think the best idea is probably just to wait a bit. Especially since you don't have a 4K TV yet. UHD discs are very expensive since they're in the infant stage right now, but as they never more widely adopted the price will come down on physical discs and on digital copies. Also, you'll find a lot more people selling them once more people are buying them.

Westonian

This is what I thought while watching The Fifth Element. I actually got up and checked the disc to make sure it wasn't the regular Blu-ray I put in.

Some UHD's are seriously unimpressive.

Whoa now, The Fifth Element is an amazing UHD disc! Sure, it doesn't have that razor sharp look of some modern digitally filmed movies, but the UHD disc far surpasses the Blu-ray in detail levels. Do an A/B comparison between the Blu and UHD scenes of the Diva scene, and you'll immediately see a difference in the details of her face. Check out any scene during the shootout following and looks at debris in the background. Yes, the film has grain, but grain is not a bad thing.

Stanng243

I've seen you posting over in the BST thread and I think the best idea is probably just to wait a bit. Especially since you don't have a 4K TV yet. UHD discs are very expensive since they're in the infant stage right now, but as they never more widely adopted the price will come down on physical discs and on digital copies. Also, you'll find a lot more people selling them once more people are buying them.

I've gotten quite a few for 5-6$. It's really hit or miss. The issue is everyone seems to have the same ones for sale.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Whoa now, The Fifth Element is an amazing UHD disc! Sure, it doesn't have that razor sharp look of some modern digitally filmed movies, but the UHD disc far surpasses the Blu-ray in detail levels. Do an A/B comparison between the Blu and UHD scenes of the Diva scene, and you'll immediately see a difference in the details of her face. Check out any scene during the shootout following and looks at debris in the background. Yes, the film has grain, but grain is not a bad thing.

It's probably the least impressive UHD I've watched so far. IMO.

It was dark and the colours didn't seem to pop at all from the hdr. Also, the cgi doesn't look in 4k.

OSHAN

It was dark and the colours didn't seem to pop at all from the hdr. Also, the cgi doesn't look in 4k.

I thought the The Fifth Element was one of the most impressive UHD discs so far. It's up there with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for me.

BumRush

I've gotten quite a few for 5-6$. It's really hit or miss. The issue is everyone seems to have the same ones for sale.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that UHD movies aren't going away...chances are you'll be able to grab them on sale much more often in the future without having to work at it.

Vashetti

Banned

Nobody is doing modern CGI or re-rendering old CGI for 4K.

Native 4K releases are just the 4K film/4K digital video with 2K CGI laid on top.

What are the downsides of a One S as a player?

I understand that it's not going to go head to head with the top of the line players, but as something that will do HDR games + UHD Blurays, it's really tempting.

As I see it, I won't know any better if I haven't seen anything better and it will look as good as anything.

Also, any word on Netflix/Redbox offering UHD discs? I'm sure UHD is a ways off on Redbox (especially since they still make you verify you know you're renting a Bluray before you complete the transaction), but Netflix might be more forward thinking.

I've got the import Your Name 4K BD but no player nor 4K TV of my own (roommate has an LG 40" 4K TV in his room, but no player there either). Don't exactly have the cash to upgrade now, but maybe by Black Friday I'll be able to swing a good deal on a home theater upgrade... even if there are no rooms in my house suitable (yay open floor plans)

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
What are the downsides of a One S as a player?

I understand that it's not going to go head to head with the top of the line players, but as something that will do HDR games + UHD Blurays, it's really tempting.

As I see it, I won't know any better if I haven't seen anything better and it will look as good as anything.

Also, any word on Netflix/Redbox offering UHD discs? I'm sure UHD is a ways off on Redbox (especially since they still make you verify you know you're renting a Bluray before you complete the transaction), but Netflix might be more forward thinking.

From what I've read it plays 4k movies play as good as any other player on the market.

I use it, and it's fine. I'm not sure how another player can decode a digital file and play it better, if that's even possible.

I'm not a pro on the Oppo or other high end players though.

Stanng243

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that UHD movies aren't going away...chances are you'll be able to grab them on sale much more often in the future without having to work at it.

I understand that, but I don't want to buy movies twice. For example, Allied is 5$ for a HD code, but 10$ for the UHD code from one of the high priced sellers. I've seen it for sale for 7$ for UHD, but I was late to the party. For movies I don't own, I'd rather put in the effort to get the UHD copy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Yeah it's oversharpened but it's a gorgeous disc.

Eliciel

I just don't know if the Panasonic DMP-UB900 is worth its money...
I mean I have an LG C6 but still it is veeery expensive..

I thought the The Fifth Element was one of the most impressive UHD discs so far. It's up there with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for me.

To each their own. I was unimpressed by Crouching Tiger. I think right now I've only been blown away by The Revenant, Lucy, and the Lego Movie. I own about 15 UHD discs so far.

X-Frame

This is a great thread!

I have a KS8000 which I got primarily because of the PS4 Pro, however I do plan on slowly building a home theater system and I would assume it really starts with the receiver next, and then a good pair of 2.0 speakers to start, then sub, then more speakers, etc etc.

Regarding the receiver, I've been eyeing this seemingly heavily discounted Denon AVR-X3300W list price $999 and currently $599. I assume this is only going to last as long as there are old inventory. I assume the X3400W will be coming very soon?

Is this receiver a good investment for the next few years? Or is it missing anything significant that should be coming in the next year? Thank you!

Westonian

That is a really, really great mid-range AVR. It's as future proof as you'll need these days. It's getting a Dolby Vision firmware update sometime this fall.

I have the X3200 and I love everything about it.

I saw that Xbox is now selling UHD digital movies (saw Guardians 2). Anyone check the quality on those? $24.95 or whatever.. I'll wait for the disk.. But if the quality is good enough I might get a few since I have Xbox credit out the wazoo.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This is a great thread!

I have a KS8000 which I got primarily because of the PS4 Pro, however I do plan on slowly building a home theater system and I would assume it really starts with the receiver next, and then a good pair of 2.0 speakers to start, then sub, then more speakers, etc etc.

Regarding the receiver, I've been eyeing this seemingly heavily discounted Denon AVR-X3300W list price $999 and currently $599. I assume this is only going to last as long as there are old inventory. I assume the X3400W will be coming very soon?

Is this receiver a good investment for the next few years? Or is it missing anything significant that should be coming in the next year? Thank you!

3300 is a great pick, 3400 is out there and does have Dolby a vision out of the box but the 3300 is getting a firmware update to support.

Realistically there isn't much of a difference and 3300 is a terrific buy at 599 or 599 + 100 dollar gift card

Kyoufu

I saw that Xbox is now selling UHD digital movies (saw Guardians 2). Anyone check the quality on those? $24.95 or whatever.. I'll wait for the disk.. But if the quality is good enough I might get a few since I have Xbox credit out the wazoo.

How big are the downloads?

holygeesus

Banned
Manufacturers aren't allowed to sell players that are region free out of the box or they'll lose their Blu Ray license.

By 'out of the box' I meant by entering codes on the remote etc rather than hardware mods. I've bought a Sony BD player before that had the option of changing the region in a similar way.

Gitaroo

Disappointed that Ghost in the Shell 4K UHD seems to have a poor 4K PQ. One reviewer even said the Blu-ray is arguably better.

Weird I just watch mine today, clearly better than every other uhd bd I owned since most of them are 2k upscaled. Infact I just watch Dredd uhd right after too and it does not hold up against gits. Might have something to do with hdr calibration on their TV because it happen to me a few time when the xbone doesn't output hdr for some reason. I think the xbone s is not a very good uhd player, notice stuttering and weird video output issue far too often. i hope uhd drive for pc will come down in price soon.

holygeesus

Banned
By 'out of the box' I meant by entering codes on the remote etc rather than hardware mods. I've bought a Sony BD player before that had the option of changing the region in a similar way.

To answer my own question, it looks like hardware mods are the only way to go for BD multi-region, which then turns, for example, the Sony UHD player from one I can pick up for £250 into a £500 one, which puts me out, considering the lack of UHD disc titles in this country.

How good is Vudu 4K Dolby Vision?

Westonian

Disappointed that Ghost in the Shell 4K UHD seems to have a poor 4K PQ. One reviewer even said the Blu-ray is arguably better.

It's not ugly, but it definitely feels flat and lacks the HDR pop of other films with similar dark palettes like John Wick Chapter 2. I never saw it in theaters, so I can't say if it's the result of poor authoring or if it was the look the director intended.

Dave_6

I take Blu-ray.com's UHD reviews with a grain of salt. Not sure what's going on with them but they've had a habit of saying most 4K discs aren't big visual upgrades over the regular Blu-rays. Could be the person reviewing them and their setup but most folks on the forum (and me) agree that their UHD reviews are off the mark.

Anth0ny

oh my goodness:

91IUD%2BzWy3L._SL1500_.jpg

I really hope that's the final cover for the Homecoming steelbook. Love it.

Is it that hard to get some awesome looking concept art and use it for a steelbook cover? That looks great! I'm sure Wonder Woman could do the same if they wanted to...

Paganmoon

Anyone using a 4K projector? They're still pretty pricy but figure they will start coming down soonish.

Just a word of warning regarding the new 4K projectors that use the TI DLP chip, which includes the newly available affordable 4K projectors from Optoma, the UHD60 and UHD65 (and UHD550X in Europe). These projectors currently force playback at 60hz, which means they introduce judder on 24hz input (any Blu-ray pretty much), and also on 50hz input (Any TV broadcast in Europe, that means sports and such).

So I'd advice caution before taking the plung on these, specially if you're in Europe. There are rumors and speculations that there could be firmware updates that fix this, but until then, be wary of at least the UHD550X and UHD60 as they do not have frame interpolation to alleviate the issue (And personally I can't stand Frame interpolation, aka Pure Motion on some systems).
And for gamers, the UHD65 that does have frame interpolation, introduces a lot of input lag, between 80ms with all enhancements off, up to 140ms. that's bordering on unplayable.

Luckily CEDIA is around the corner (early September), and some new affordable 4K projectors might be announced there.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What is e-shift one mean? Sorry I'm a newb.

It means the chip in the projector is 2k but it takes the 4k source and for each frame projects half the pixels then shifts slightly and projects the other half. To the naked eye the difference between e-shift and true 4k should be almost imperceptible even side by side.

I have the JVC-RS400 and 4K video looks incredible (obviously depending on the movie), I wouldn't deter anyone from avoiding it just because it's not true 4K. It helps that the actual picture quality of the JVC is amazing, especially compared to my last projector which was the Benq W1070.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Finally getting around to 4K labyrinth - it's a new 4K scan of the 35mm Negative with an Atmos track

I don't think their encoding can handle some of the grain correctly - it ends up looking pretty noisey on the blue skies.

But otherwise the presentation is pretty damn awesome.

Returned my Samsung hw950 sound bar system as I hated basically everything about it and bought an onkyo home theatre In a box which includes some upward firing front speaker combos and a receiver that can do atmos as well as everything else, and the whole thing cost less than the sound bar with rears from Samsung.
It sounds much better, is louder, and everything works. The only hassle is the cable rat nest at the back, but whatever.

J_Viper

Scarlett in the Shell is the first 4k disc I've seen, and even on my mom's low budget non-HDR Vizio screen, it looks gorgeous

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fate of the furious 4k hdr digital is on sale for $10 at vudu.

I might rent king Arthur too. $10 is probably a bit too much but i still haven't seen a 4k hdr movie thanks to Sony making dumb decisions with the pro.

MrJames

Apollo 13 comes out on 10/17. Not sure why they updated the cover art when the anniversary BD version looked pretty good. Horrible...

pg6OwkQ.png

BumRush

Posted this in the TV OT but it's probably fitting for this thread as well:

I'm still (happily) rocking a Panasonic Plasma, but never had it calibrated. Grabbed a Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition 3D HD disc and holy shit, I am kicking myself for waiting this long.

The day I buy a 4K HDR TV I'm going to buy a calibration disc for it.

oh my goodness:

I really hope that's the final cover for the Homecoming steelbook. Love it.

Is it that hard to get some awesome looking concept art and use it for a steelbook cover? That looks great! I'm sure Wonder Woman could do the same if they wanted to...

Looks like it, since Best Buy doesn't usually have pre-release artwork, either.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/spider-...k-only--best-buy-2017/5916905.p?skuId=5916905

I always prefer to have different, ar least special, artwork compared to the normal case. It's always lazy when the same artwork is used on the steelbook, IMO. All of the Marvel and most DC (not DCAU) are good about this, at least.

I'm really glad 4k isn't a region specific thing, now, since that means for the few movies I care about getting like this I can order from Amazon overseas, should it come to that.

Top Bottom