• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

No, there's a legitimate problem with using fully-auto weapons. They should have their own ammo type that has a reduced resource cost. As is, single shot weapons are significantly better.
So many games make this same mistake and it frustrates the hell out of me. Most recent that I played was Fallout 4.

Tei

Neo Member
I like all the cars in the game. Is a love letter to america cars. The game is hilarious and amazing and grindy.

Is going to need "double XP weekends" to help people find the meat of the game master. Kind of of.

So many games make this same mistake and it frustrates the hell out of me. Most recent that I played was Fallout 4.

Yea, but all weapons feel good. Thats a nice achievement.

Anyway if you want to shot bullets, thats what the soldier is for. Ninjas blade. Kill creep before they get to the traps.

Outlander is kind of a guy that help the builder. Maybe should be the guy creating traps?

I am curious how this game works in the long term. I have a intense Dungeon Defenders vibe here. In the bad and the good sense.

The one thing that's bothering me the most is all mission's are basically the same. Don't know if they change up later on. Got a pure assault mission yesterday so maybe I'm judging to early tho.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yea, but all weapons feel good. Thats a nice achievement.

Anyway if you want to shot bullets, thats what the soldier is for.
I picked a soldier because I wanted to shoot bullets but the novelty of the good weapon feel wears off quickly when you feel like you waste resources on auto guns when you could do much more with a pistol that share the same ammo...

Tei

Neo Member
I picked a soldier because I wanted to shoot bullets but the novelty of the good weapon feel wears off quickly when you feel like you waste resources on auto guns when you could do much more with a pistol that share the same ammo...

I seen the soldier have a lot of skills that are based on hits. Like "adds a debuff, stack to 5". You will get 5 stacks of a debuff faster with a auto weapon than with hand pistol.

Also this game is kind of group vs horde. You can oneshot heads all day when the horde is small, but once we get in the meat of the game with huge hordes, I don't think single shot weapons will work has well. Has for snipers, maybe they are to kill witches and special mobs?

We don't really know what the game will look like with high end weapons vs high end hordes.

tl:dr
I do too find single shot weapons kind of much more efficient, but I don't expect it to last.

Maximus P

I'm getting a weird error. I'm getting zero xp for my missions. Despite completing them and being in them from the begginging.

I know there was maintenence earlier, but I'm not getting any skill points at all now.

I'm getting a weird error. I'm getting zero xp for my missions. Despite completing them and being in them from the begginging.

I know there was maintenence earlier, but I'm not getting any skill points at all now.

That's happened to me before but I thought it depended on the mission type and whether I was joining someone else's game as a bug. It was happening before maintenance.

Maximus P

That's happened to me before but I thought it depended on the mission type and whether I was joining someone else's game as a bug. It was happening before maintenance.

Mine is slightly different. I didn't realise before but I am actually getting xp and skill points which show in the menu after I close the match. It just shows as zero after the match, it also shows everyone in the lobby has having zero for every stat too, such as building and combat. It's OK, as I seem to still be getting the rewards but I did like to look at my contribution after the match ends.

If we had access to the beta for this do we still have access to the early access launch? A gaffer gave me a code a while back but I wasn't actually on the mailing list myself.

Just curious since I'm tempted to jump in but don't really wanna put £40 down when it's gonna be free to play.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
If we had access to the beta for this do we still have access to the early access launch? A gaffer gave me a code a while back but I wasn't actually on the mailing list myself.

Just curious since I'm tempted to jump in but don't really wanna put £40 down when it's gonna be free to play.

No, it's not the same code. There are free codes with the deluxe edition though, if you know someone.

FeD.nL

It took some time but it's finally clicking for me. Had a blast the past couple of missions, just had to wade through all the menus and figuring out what's what, but it was certainly worth it. This is gonna get a lot of playtime.

Tei

Neo Member
Another reason to get zero experience is trough the option to join other people game.

Is kind of shitty. Not only you don't progress the story (?), that in this game is moot point, but you don't get any experience for playing... this I can't understand.

Maybe the bug is mistaking modes and the people getting zero experience appears as joining trough this option to the server.

Also, I would not mind a way to control how to wait for more players in the defense waves mission. The game is kind of lazy in matchmaking players for this mission, and they are mostly unplayable alone once you get in the meat of the game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Another reason to get zero experience is trough the option to join other people game.

Is kind of shitty. Not only you don't progress the story (?), that in this game is moot point, but you don't get any experience for playing... this I can't understand.

Maybe the bug is mistaking modes and the people getting zero experience appears as joining trough this option to the server.

Also, I would not mind a way to control how to wait for more players in the defense waves mission. The game is kind of lazy in matchmaking players for this mission, and they are mostly unplayable alone once you get in the meat of the game.
Homebase matchmaking is terrible. If you ask for help and nobody comes in 1:30 it'll start anyway so all you can do is quite and repeat until people show up 💩

I'm loving the game. I like the skill tree and the different collectible schematics - scratches that itch for me.

I'm a bit of a loss as to what all of the stat boosts from the survivor's teams do but I'll get there.

Snorlaxin14

Neo Member
So sans filling up your collection because I am already on I think level 55 on that, how the hell do you get Pure Rain Water. I need it to upgrade and I can't find it or have it drop ever.

Maximus P

So sans filling up your collection because I am already on I think level 55 on that, how the hell do you get Pure Rain Water. I need it to upgrade and I can't find it or have it drop ever.

There are various mission that offer rain water as a reward. There are a couple showing for me right now. I've also collected a fair bit from quests.

Homebase matchmaking is terrible. If you ask for help and nobody comes in 1:30 it'll start anyway so all you can do is quite and repeat until people show up ��

Usually asking in chat gets people. Anyone who helps you finish a OD gets 2 mini pinatas and progress on their next related quest which gives 50 v bucks each completion. I wouldn't depend on the help request thing to get someone though it has worked a few times for me.

There are various mission that offer rain water as a reward. There are a couple showing for me right now. I've also collected a fair bit from quests.

You can also get rain water from recycling schematics. That is the main way to get rain water. Whenever there is a mat you don't know how to get inspect the item and it should give an idea on how it is obtained.

when i go into other peoples home base. if they allow it i upgrade some of their buildings guarding the amplifiers to lvl 3. some people leave it at lvl 1. lol.

No, it's not the same code. There are free codes with the deluxe edition though, if you know someone.

Thanks. Hmmm guess I will likely end up having to buy a copy. So which edition and version do I need to grab to get PS4 and PC together?

Edit: Ok I see I've got to get the founder's pack for cross play, but there's no founders pack listed online?

I don't understand the people who waste the build limit on shit like this:

I4cnWhR.jpg

Why not? I am already in the 2th zone, and I have never run beyond the limit. And I am usually the one building, and I make a point to make huge bases with many layers of defenses and weird fun stuff like that.

I play on the PS4. Maybe the building limits are lower in PC? on the PS4 it would be hard to hit them.
Outer defenses are what are important though. Buildings with layers serve no purpose if the thing you're defending is on the bottom floor.

Tei

Neo Member

Why not? I am already in the 2th zone, and I have never run beyond the limit. And I am usually the one building, and I make a point to make huge bases with many layers of defenses and weird fun stuff like that.

I play on the PS4. Maybe the building limits are lower in PC? on the PS4 it would be hard to hit them.

Anastasis

Thanks. Hmmm guess I will likely end up having to buy a copy. So which edition and version do I need to grab to get PS4 and PC together?

Edit: Ok I see I've got to get the founder's pack for cross play, but there's no founders pack listed online?

Any edition should work as long as you link your epic and PSN accounts on epics website. I saw some folks on the b/s/t thread selling some codes for $25 yesterday.

Any edition should work as long as you link your epic and PSN accounts on epics website. I saw some folks on the b/s/t thread selling some codes for $25 yesterday.

Unfortunately seems I'm gonna be shit out of luck for a while anyway. On closer inspection it turns out I lost my debit card while out at the weekend so I've had to cancel that. Hopefully the founders pack is still a thing after the 25th.

I've never had trouble staying within the build limit either and usually what is built is a little excessive anyway. Some people build up to get the platinum build badge though it's not a big deal.

Tei

Neo Member
I like the part of Starship Troopers where they defend a tiny outposts and the zerg is coming from every hole.

I also like the design of spanish castles on the conquerors era, these with star shape.

I can't wait to go home and try some new crazy base designs :D

Grisby

Yeah go for the rarer character always, they level up further then the previous versions.

A rare will last you a good while until you get a legendary version with good rolls.
You earn hero XP that you can spend at your leisure, so it doesn't matter what hero you're using at the time. The hero XP you earn can be spent on whatever hero you want, regardless of the hero you choose to play as.
Good deal. Thanks fellas.

Couple of questions:

- Feeling a little overwhelmed with the inventory limit. I'm only carrying a couple of guns, mostly I'm filling up on crafting materials. But I have no idea how to judge what is safe to discard.

- Weapon schematics... How is it possible to have a gun that I don't have the schematic for? When this gun breaks, it's just gone and I can't make a new one? I thought anytime you picked up a weapon you learned how to craft it.

- Filling out the collection, I've encountered instances where I definitely had an item, but couldn't place it. Simple stuff like grey weapons. Are there other requirements, like the item has to have certain stats or something for it to "match"?

Sness

Banned
I'm really on the fence about this game, but I've got a friend who is pretty hyped about it, so I'll play it on PC. Should I buy the Standard or Deluxe Edition? Money isn't that tight, just wondering what the best deal is.

Tei

Neo Member
Couple of questions:

- Feeling a little overwhelmed with the inventory limit. I'm only carrying a couple of guns, mostly I'm filling up on crafting materials. But I have no idea how to judge what is safe to discard.

Heres a idea:
only have 1 weapon of every type, if you get worse one, dissasemble the other one (so you get the mats)

higher quality is probably always better than lower quality.

if you are really that low of space, only have the better weapon of the subtypes you actually use/enjoy.

Crafting a new weapon is actually fast, so you can craft another one of your favorite weapons if the equipped one is breaking.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm really on the fence about this game, but I've got a friend who is pretty hyped about it, so I'll play it on PC. Should I buy the Standard or Deluxe Edition? Money isn't that tight, just wondering what the best deal is.

The difference between Standard and Deluxe isn't that great, and you can upgrade after the fact.

I'd get the $40 edition and then decide if you want to upgrade.

Outer defenses are what are important though. Buildings with layers serve no purpose if the thing you're defending is on the bottom floor.

if it's not not near the atlas or whatever. you can build. i think they just want to get the platinum medal for building.

---

also unlocked the skill to expand my inventory +5.

Because building stuff is fun.

I totally wasn't paying attention to the build limit when I was first playing. At least now when I play with randoms I pay attention to it. Though, playing with friends....we don't give a shit, we are just wasting time creating crazy stuff. lol.

R0ckman

Saw an outlander who had a sparkling animation. Thought it was the mytic variation but it wasn't, it was the "main" male one. Anyone know what this is about?

Edit: oh its the Limited Ed, exclusive one.

I really like Assasin Sarah btw, I think she's adorable from design to personality during missions.

adversarial

Is there a progression system that stays with you or do all the xp and skill unlocks get reset after each game? Is this game sort of like Orcs Must Die where you set up a location, place traps and kills mobs until the match is over and then port to another area. That is the game-play loop correct?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is there a progression system that stays with you or do all the xp and skill unlocks get reset after each game? Is this game sort of like Orcs Must Die where you set up a location, place traps and kills mobs until the match is over and then port to another area. That is the game-play loop correct?

Definitely progression that stays. You level your characters, gear, and skills.

Maximus P

Couple of questions:

- Weapon schematics... How is it possible to have a gun that I don't have the schematic for? When this gun breaks, it's just gone and I can't make a new one? I thought anytime you picked up a weapon you learned how to craft it.

- Filling out the collection, I've encountered instances where I definitely had an item, but couldn't place it. Simple stuff like grey weapons. Are there other requirements, like the item has to have certain stats or something for it to "match"?

Make sure to clear out your traps. Early game traps are pretty much useless as the game is tremendously easy and the enemies won't get anywhere near your Base. Use them all on your homebase or alternatively, recycle them for mats.

Weapons can be picked up and gained as rewards in certain missions, schematics are a separate thing and, yes, you do lose weapons that break that you have no schematics for. You can also upgrade schematics but not physical weapons, which was confusing for me at first and wasnt explained fully.(like alot of things in this game!)

You can't add things to the collection if they are in use, such as survivors and defenders in teams. Collection isn't something I used alot tbh, I accidentally sent my levelled up solider there when I had a dupe so I'm not going on again until I'm sure what I want to deposit.

Maximus P

Saw an outlander who had a sparkling animation. Thought it was the mytic variation but it wasn't, it was the "main" male one. Anyone know what this is about?

I believe outlanders sparkle for a while when they have the 'in the zone' perk activated. Maybe that's what you saw?

Only just now realized that blue circle when destroying objects is a crit spot. Wtf

Yeah. I said the same thing yesterday. Game doesn't teach you, but when I realized, my harvesting speed was so much faster.

There is a quest that teaches this early on, it's a whole thing about having to invest a point in getting it.

I think alot of people are just not reading everything, but it's because the game is info overload, it tosses so much shit at you, the UI is awful, and it's also loud and obnoxious. While you are learning and trying to figure stuff out, the game is tossing multiple screens at you, loot rewards flying at your face, and you have the game playing out "funny" dialogue. It's really hard to focus on what anything does with how much is dumped on you.

Redshirt

Banned
There is a quest that teaches this early on, it's a whole thing about having to invest a point in getting it.

I think alot of people are just not reading everything, but it's because the game is info overload, it tosses so much shit at you, the UI is awful, and it's also loud and obnoxious. While you are learning and trying to figure stuff out, the game is tossing multiple screens at you, loot rewards flying at your face, and you have the game playing out "funny" dialogue. It's really hard to focus on what anything does with how much is dumped on you.

Must have missed it then, which I'll blame on Epic locking the friend codes behind the tutorial. :p

Oh wow, that 5 wave Storm Shield defense is crazy. After how difficult the 4 wave one before it was, I searched for randoms. Dumb game gave me some level 6 dude who just kept dying.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of dumb that the main base of operations doesn't have much in terms of resources surrounding it. Can you return there whenever you want solely to improve on the base and then leave? I haven't tried that yet.

Edit: Inventory management is dumb when most of your inventory is ingredients. They should really stack to 999 or not take up inventory space.

KodaRuss

Is everyone's base in the same spot geographically (like the same map)? I feel like I am kinda locked into a crappy situation with the inclines/ledges surrounding my base.

Oh wow, that 5 wave Storm Shield defense is crazy. After how difficult the 4 wave one before it was, I searched for randoms. Dumb game gave me some level 6 dude who just kept dying.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of dumb that the main base of operations doesn't have much in terms of resources surrounding it. Can you return there whenever you want solely to improve on the base and then leave? I haven't tried that yet.

Yes, you can visit and leave your base as you want for whatever reason outside of doing defenses.

Is everyone's base in the same spot geographically (like the same map)? I feel like I am kinda locked into a crappy situation with the inclines/ledges surrounding my base.

I think bases are the exception in that they are not proc gen'd.

R0ckman

Edit: Inventory management is dumb when most of your inventory is ingredients. They should really stack to 999 or not take up inventory space.

Once you learn better building techniques they are pretty fun to solo with Defenders who are really good if you have lengendary ones. I solo'd everything up to 6 and need to start building for 7.

KodaRuss

Yes, you can visit and leave your base as you want for whatever reason outside of doing defenses.

I think bases are the exception in that they are not proc gen'd.

That makes sense but maybe I am just missing something, I havent spent hardly anytime messing with it much yet.

Has anyone tried first person mode? How does it feel?

Tei

Neo Member
Anyone knows flaws in the way mobs navigate levels?

Something I noticed is that If you put a ramp, and in the intersection it touchs a ceiling, players can use the ramp, but mobs kind of drop below. Maybe that can be used to trick mobs into some hole or force them into a infinite loop.

I must make some experiments about this today.

The main quest pacing is incredibly off. Jumping back and forth between level 15 and level 19 missions for some reason.

Still testing this out, but is it true that as long as you have a path for the husks to get to your base they won't destroy walls if they aren't relevant to the thing you are protecting and aren't blocking them? Thus you can create a funnel of traps to weaken them so they can quickly die once reaching your base? Tried it in a few areas on my base and it made some waves almost as easy as the first time encounter.
Nah, they destroy whatever the hell they want to. It's really random.

R0ckman

Still testing this out, but is it true that as long as you have a path for the husks to get to your base they won't destroy walls if they aren't relevant to the thing you are protecting and aren't blocking them? Thus you can create a funnel of traps to weaken them so they can quickly die once reaching your base? Tried it in a few areas on my base and it made some waves almost as easy as the first time encounter.

Top Bottom