• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

While i'm enjoying the new what i'm sad about is that the footage i saw for the dark elves CA seemed to have changed malekith voice; to me he sounds like gelt now.

Sadly this is a thing they do, they use high quality voice acting for the trailers and stuff and then generic VAs for the ingame stuff. Wulfrik is the same actually. So yeah that kinda sucks.

Skavens look pretty awesome though, some people are complaining about the missing units and other stuff and while it could have been better to be completely faithful to the tabletop, it still looks to be really fun to play especially if you're not a purist.

karnage10

Banned
Sadly this is a thing they do, they use high quality voice acting for the trailers and stuff and then generic VAs for the ingame stuff. Wulfrik is the same actually. So yeah that kinda sucks.

Skavens look pretty awesome though, some people are complaining about the missing units and other stuff and while it could have been better to be completely faithful to the tabletop, it still looks to be really fun to play especially if you're not a purist.

I don't get that at all. We know that skaven will at least get a lord pack so at least 3 more units will be added. I can't help but see the skaven as the VC of this game, by which i mean that they will probably be the target for many FLC because they are the only new world race that affect both the old world and the new world at the same time.

VC got 3LL, "6" new units + around 10 RoR. The possibility to expand skaven roster is clear. I think it is more important that skaven feels right then what their roster has.

The Dark Elves will be my first race to play.

don't do this to me. The choosing part is killing me... this thread doesn't help at all! here was my nightmare a few months ago; i haven't forgotten any of you!

don't be silly, you pick Skaven of course

That's a weird way to spell Lizardmen, friendo.

Dark Elves, though.

Pretty sure everyone forgot about the High Elves because it's the most obvious first pick.

osirisob

Neo Member
I picked it to stir some shit because there's a bit of long-running sniping between the fans of the two series. I'm willing to bet the audiences of both series were similar until World of Warcraft took off and then the Warcraft universe gained a bunch of new fans that know nothing about Warhammer (like me until this game) which inflames some people. I think a lot of Warhammer fans feel that Blizzard reaped huge benefits for aping a franchise they love (multiple times if you include Starcraft and 40k). The title plays both sides because some Warhammer fans are miffed at Blizzard so I called the game Warcraft 4 while Warcraft fans who fell in love with the series and its roots as an RTS are stuck with the word and lore being told in the MMO with no Warcraft 4 in sight at this point. There's my over-explanation of the thread title lol.

I'd also throw in that at some point people started to think it was Warhammer ripping off Warcraft, which was frustrating if you knew which came first. Personally I like both franchises, but about the time of Warhammer Online there was quite a bit of back and forth about which side was "stealing" from the other side.

Maledict

Whilst the link to Starcraft is obvious, the links between warhammer and Warcraft are non existant. Warcraft 1 was a very standard high fantasy game - if that's a copy off warhammer then every fantasy product is. It didn't have any of the main traits we associate with warhammer - chaos, Germanic human forces, etc.

loki0wn

Probably start with Lizardmen and then Skaven after I see how they interact on the map. They have enough 'odd' mechanics, I don't want to have my first campaign be hamstrung by ineptness.

Starting with Skaven is not an option. They are ugly and disgusting. Just look at that hell pit abomination thing. No way.

High elves are a bit boring. They have some monster units but remind me of the Empire otherwise.

So the real choice is Lizardmen or Dark Elves. Hmm, I just can't decide yet.

Nezzhil

Something is wrong here...
Wpnx37Y.jpg

Apparently the DOW3 50% off coupon is received if you own DOW2. Someone in SteamGAF mentioned it.
I see you don't use Starting Trait Remastered. Shame! ;)

Oh, this is a niiice mod. I hope CA takes some inspiration from it, because traits have that same mathy feel that the old leaders' skills did, where it's a very dry statistical bonus instead of something more flavourful or interesting.

Should also be done to those passive traits units get. They don't always make sense, particularly with the newer factions. (e.g. some kind of "politics" or "diplomat" trait for Norsca lords, which is all kinds of mystifying.)

Maledict

Oh I know that Warcraft was initially designed as a warhammer game. I'm just saying conceptually, Warcraft 1 was a very bland high fantasy RTS that you could accuse of being a rip off of almost any fantasy story. Whilst they originally wanted to make a warhammer game, their end product didn't really reflect that and was lacking the main design factors that differentiate Warhammer from other fantasy worlds.

Starcraft on the hand, on face value, *really* looks like 40k at a distance... ;-)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Have they said anything else about the shared map? Pre-ordered 2 on Wednesday, really excited for it

BibiMaghoo

Something is wrong here...

But it isn't what you think. The main thing wrong with that is using a famous Necrarchs first name with the surname of the house turned into the first Von Carsteins for a Strigoi ghoul. As a nerd of warhammer lore, this is an abomination.

Have they said anything else about the shared map? Pre-ordered 2 on Wednesday, really excited for it

The shared map is coming a few weeks after TW:W2 launch, so it's unlikely they'll say much about it until then I think. Maybe but they haven't really discussed much.

Violet_0

Banned
playing Norsca for the first as the Troll. I lost all my settements in the North but captured the one in Troll country - and it seems like you only need one large settlement anyway? Since you are technically a horde army, so all your income comes from plundering. I just hit tier 3 with my town on turn 50 again, all the other ones I had were small settlements and my entire army so far has only been berserkers and spearthrowers. But as it turned out, the berserkers are so good that you don't need much else anyway

playing Norsca for the first as the Troll. I lost all my settements in the North but captured the one in Troll country - and it seems like you only need one large settlement anyway? Since you are technically a horde army, so all your income comes from plundering. I just hit tier 3 with my town on turn 50 again, all the other ones I had were small settlements and my entire army so far has only been berserkers and spearthrowers. But as it turned out, the berserkers are so good that you don't need much else anyway
That is odd.

Violet_0

Banned
That is odd.

on very hard, I started a war with Kraka Drak turn 1, and captured the Norsca settlements close by. Subjugated the east-most tribe, meanwhile lost the starting town to a rebellion while eliminating the Dwarfs. Started a war with Kislev, Ostland and now Ostermark, while razing Kislev's unprotected cities in the west they sent two stacks up North and I didn't have the funds to upgrade my second army up there. They took my Norsca cities, I took back Troll Country, Kislev and Ostland are on their last legs and I'm known as Throgg, leader of the very many decidedly non-Troll Berserkers and current #10 military power with one city. I'd say everything turned out alright

picked Nurgle as my god because I want to see what the plague does. I only wish I had could afford the time to go on a damn hunt

Speaking of Norsca god rewards, the Eagle reward, a Lord of Change, kinda sucks and feels underbaked. It cannot permanently die, costs no upkeep, and starts at level 30, but you can never inspect it to see abilities or stats, or to shape its skills to suit your needs; it also doesn't gain traits AFAIK. Just kinda jarring compared to literally every other unit in the game.

I'm hoping the other ones are better.

Machina

Banned
Speaking of Norsca god rewards, the Eagle reward, a Lord of Change, kinda sucks and feels underbaked. It cannot permanently die, costs no upkeep, and starts at level 30, but you can never inspect it to see abilities or stats, or to shape its skills to suit your needs; it also doesn't gain traits AFAIK. Just kinda jarring compared to literally every other unit in the game.

I'm hoping the other ones are better.

Go with the Serpent. 30% less upkeep for your armies at level 3 is priceless for the Norsca

Violet_0

Banned
haha, I beat Wulfrik in a pretty tough battle and confederated and now I go from one town to controlling the entire North

I'd say that's a fine postion to be in on turn 62. The one other tribe left is a vassal. You're a pal, Wolfrik, thanks for taking care of conquering and upgrading everything for me
the conferation requirement for the Norsca can be pretty ridicules

Violet_0

Banned
the story event for
total devotion is bullshit. All my forces are around Altdorf, I'd lose a number of fully-upgraded cities. Good thing I could reload my autosave, I want to see the plague but I also don't want to lose my entire economy to an unforseeable event

also, the Norsca snowball like crazy with the "defeat faction" tech tree unlocks and global army upkeep reduction

the story event for
total devotion is bullshit. All my forces are around Altdorf, I'd lose a number of fully-upgraded cities. Good thing I could reload my autosave, I want to see the plague but I also don't want to lose my entire economy to an unforseeable event

also, the Norsca snowball like crazy with the "defeat faction" tech tree unlocks and global army upkeep reduction

Those full devotion factions/armies that show up don't even go for your settlements, they will bee line straight towards your closest army.

This is good advice. Occupying capitals is a huge power boost--the thing the game doesn't tell you is that on top of the locked research, the capital itself gives some good benefits. (e.g. Altdorf increases global recruitment capacity and gives a nice chunk of income.)

I would have focused more on conquering capitals, but the game was over after Chaos arrived. The AI is totally unprepared for the new Chaos, which now seems to cluster together and destroy everything one province at a time. (Reinforcement armies will spread out, increasing the ruination.) Very nice changes... though it's kiiinda easy for Norsca since, like before, virtually no one can enter Norscan lands--with their provinces being so independant of their economy that it's not really harmful to lose anything, anyways.

Dwarves were the only faction with a chance in my game. As usual, they effortlessly confederated and conquered the Greenskins, and were, eh, dwarfed in power only by Chaos itself. But they're not relevant to a Norsca victory at all, so I'll never know.

Violet_0

Banned
Those full devotion factions/armies that show up don't even go for your settlements, they will bee line straight towards your closest army.

oh
neat, unleash the plague then! (I still don't know what it actually does)
This is good advice. Occupying capitals is a huge power boost--the thing the game doesn't tell you is that on top of the locked research, the capital itself gives some good benefits. (e.g. Altdorf increases global recruitment capacity and gives a nice chunk of income.)

I would have focused more on conquering capitals, but the game was over after Chaos arrived. The AI is totally unprepared for the new Chaos, which now seems to cluster together and destroy everything one province at a time. (Reinforcement armies will spread out, increasing the ruination.) Very nice changes... though it's kiiinda easy for Norsca since, like before, virtually no one can enter Norscan lands--with their provinces being so independant of their economy that it's not really harmful to lose anything, anyways.

Dwarves were the only faction with a chance in my game. As usual, they effortlessly confederated and conquered the Greenskins, and were, eh, dwarfed in power only by Chaos itself. But they're not relevant to a Norsca victory at all, so I'll never know.
ah, I didn't know that the capitols themself give you boni as well

I'm on turn 80-something right now and Chaos hasn't showed up yet, but I pretty much did all the work for them. There's nothing but Chaos-infested wasteland between their spawn point and Altdorf, which I just conquered. Still haven't done a single hunt or quest, I feel like this game will be over before I have even started digging into the Norsca side content. I haven't controlled anything but trolls and barbarians on the battlefield yet, the last time I battled myself was near the start of the game. I don't even have a hero yet, but it seems like it won't matter now anyway. 4 lvl 20-30 generals + armies autobattles take care of anything, there's no resistance

I guess I'll finally start using the Stainless Steel mod in TW2. After roughly turn 30 or so in a campaign I'm mostly on auto-pilot

e: well, to be fair, the entire Norsca region was just handed over to me, I suppose that made things a little easier for me. Poor Wolfrik should have just let that siege slide

Forgot to mention, in the Norsca campaign I finished there was no final battle, and only one victory tier -- Ultimate. Kinda assumed the 3 victory tiers and quest battle finale were standard by now. The whole Norscan endgame feels like it ends with Chaos' arrival rather than their actual victory conditions--it's weird.

Also, I just started Skarsnik's campaign and man does he have a rough start. I don't even know how to approach it; he has some great bonuses, but the territory you start with is so isolated, and charging into the dwarven fortress is suicide. The problem is, Skarsnik's start isn't in a capital, so there's this huge time pressure on expanding before the AI outpaces you.

I'll have to mess around in the beginning more to find something that works. Might just charge right in at the start, I suppose that would give me more of an edge than the altnerative of facing even more dwarven warriors vs. my gobbos.
ah, I didn't know that the capitols themself give you boni as well

I'm on turn 80-something right now and Chaos hasn't showed up yet, but I pretty much did all the work for them. There's nothing but Chaos-infested wasteland between their spawn point and Altdorf, which I just conquered. Still haven't done a single hunt or quest, I feel like this game will be over before I have even started digging into the Norsca side content. I haven't controlled anything but trolls and barbarians on the battlefield yet, the last time I battled myself was near the start of the game. I don't even have a hero yet, but it seems like it won't matter now anyway. 4 lvl 20-30 generals + armies autobattles take care of anything, there's no resistance

I guess I'll finally start using the Stainless Steel mod in TW2. After roughly turn 30 or so in a campaign I'm mostly on auto-pilot

e: well, to be fair, the entire Norsca region was just handed over to me, I suppose that made things a little easier for me. Poor Wolfrik should have just let that siege slide

I'm kinda glad the Norsca confederates this way--fighting in Norscan territory is just the worst. Although it'd be more interesting if it worked in reverse or something, feels too one-sided for the player otherwise.

And re: the hunts, they kinda suck. The army you face is only half the story--each one has weird map gimmicks and super units that make it harder. So it's a game of going in once to see what you need, then reloading and going in again with the proper army/approach.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm kinda glad the Norsca confederates this way--fighting in Norscan territory is just the worst. Although it'd be more interesting if it worked in reverse or something, feels too one-sided for the player otherwise.

And re: the hunts, they kinda suck. The army you face is only half the story--each one has weird map gimmicks and super units that make it harder. So it's a game of going in once to see what you need, then reloading and going in again with the proper army/approach.

not when you bring an uber army :p

Chaos sucks, I won the campaign before they showed up. The last battle was easy, but I came in with a pretty high-end army. I only ended up doing the first two hunts and couldn't proceed with my leader quests because the Empire was already gone at that point

the Norse are pretty nice, but there's not much variety in their army composition. All their monster units kind of fill the same role. As far as monsters armies go, I prefer VC. The mammoths might be the strongest regular units in the game? (RoR Spider Queen still takes the crown for overall best unit, though)

not sure if the Nurgle plague is all that useful. I watched the computer, and none of their armies ever took damage despite walking though Chaos attrition all the time. Could be pretty fun in the Grand Campaign, though, since it never stops spreading. Although I think there's a limit to how many settlements it can hit at a time

So I'm playing the Chaos campaign for the first time. Even with the latest changes (using the beta patch) it becomes boring pretty fast.
And damn, most units are really bland. Chosen and Chaos knights are hollow shells without any interesting mechanics or abilities. Basically Empire Swordsmen and Knights with better stats.

Violet_0

Banned
So I'm playing the Chaos campaign for the first time. Even with the latest changes (using the beta patch) it becomes boring pretty fast.
And damn, most units are really bland. Chosen and Chaos knights are hollow shells without any interesting mechanics or abilities. Basically Empire Swordsmen and Knights with better stats.

Chaos is basically just the Shaggoth, Hellcannons and vanilla Chaos Warriors faction for me. Although the Forsaken are fine too

but yeah, they have the worst campaign by far, followed closely by Beastmen. The pure horde armies are a bit of a misstep, the WE and Norsca are horde armies done right

played a norsca campaign and the useless settlements + metahorde aspect is cool

add to that the various hunt campaigns and it has a good spin

i really liked the armored werewolf especially against the cavalry

Violet_0

Banned
WE are not a horde army.

once you maxed out the forest, your economy stagnates. You get most of your income from sacking settlements afterwards. I operate on negative income from that point onward. iirc they can unlock some boni for sacking. I don't mean that WE or Norsca are literally horde armies, but they are forced to play aggressively due to their low passive income from buildings. Well, and later on you can global recruit everything in 1-2 turns at any outpost as WE, so they pretty much end up playing pretty similar :p

I did a couple of custome battles and double mammoth seems very hard to beat. Even 3 outrider units together need a long time take one down

Gorger

So without having read to much about this title as I want to remain blind and surprised, but one thing I have heard is that Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2 will somehow blend together in one huge package? Which means that DLC and extra content from WH1 will also enhance WH2. I just want confirmation that this is true, because to me that sounds like a really nice feature, and I can monitor WH1 DLC for good sales and deals and have the ultimate package for when WH2 is released.

Violet_0

Banned
So without having read to much about this title as I want to remain blind and surprised, but one thing I have heard is that Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2 will somehow blend together in one huge package? Which means that DLC and extra content from WH1 will also enhance WH2. I just want confirmation that this is true, because to me that sounds like a really nice feature, and I can monitor WH1 DLC for good sales and deals and have the ultimate package for when WH2 is released.

yes, and I'll put that in spoiler just in case, how it works is that
there will be a new campaign mode that combines map 1 and most of map 2

once you maxed out the forest, your economy stagnates. You get most of your income from sacking settlements afterwards. I operate on negative income from that point onward. iirc they can unlock some boni for sacking. I don't mean that WE or Norsca are literally horde armies, but they are forced to play aggressively due to their low passive income from buildings. Well, and later on you can global recruit everything in 1-2 turns at any outpost as WE, so they pretty much end up playing pretty similar :p

I did a couple of custome battles and double mammoth seems very hard to beat. Even 3 outrider units together need a long time take one down

I usually build income buildings in providences that do not border other races and that is how I usually get around that.

Gorger

yes, and I'll put that in spoiler just in case, how it works is that
there will be a new campaign mode that combines map 1 and most of map 2

Cool my expectations for the game just increased a lot. This is a really cool idea, and all the DLC you have bought for the first game doesn't seem to be a waste now.

karnage10

Banned
I am really liking the information for warhammer 2. It is starting to feel more like a sequel then an expansion. Have you guys seen the animations between the hellpit abomination and the carnasour?

I just want to add that you don't *need* to buy the DLC. Let's look at the beastmen, if you don't buy that DLC there will still beastmen for you to fight on the campaign. You only need the DLC if you want to play with that race.
CA has also not given much information on the mega campaign map, i'll just add that CA has said that the map is coming weeks after the release of warhammer 2.

Lastly i want to say that the DLC for warhammer 1 is already benefiting game 2; game 2 has all races added by warhammer 1 DLC as enemies. Again you don't need any DLC to play against said faction.

Top Bottom