• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Loz246789

Errr it's really that short?

Having done all of the meaningful content, I ended my normal playthrough at 48 hours. I could probably have shaved a couple hours off of that if I'd actually run away from battles, and a few more if Turbo had existed before a few days ago. And probably many more if I skipped side content, but it's (almost) all good stuff, so nah.

40 hours seems reasonable for the average player?

duckroll

Wow that's cool. I thought it was like 70 hours long or something. Guess I'll get started sooner rather than later then! Thanks!

Oreiller

53 hours with speedhack on my end. I spent a few hours grinding before the final dungeon though (which really wasn't necessary at all).

I'm slower than most of you and racked up just over 68 hours even with speedhack, but some of that might be idle time. Of course, I did everything except get a few of the rarest drops, so skipping things like the Arena battles will save time.

Squire

Banned
Eh, we have enough Bracers on the scene. Not sure what Estelle and Joshua are going to do that Agate, Sarah, and even Fie can't.

We have a large enough cast of characters to aid them if things go haywire, too.

PK Gaming

Eh, we have enough Bracers on the scene. Not sure what Estelle and Joshua are going to do that Agate, Sarah, and even Fie can't.

We have a large enough cast of characters to aid them if things go haywire, too.

But. imagine seeing Estelle show in 3D with a brand new design and a smug, confidant expression.

It would be the best. The best.

EDIT: God, just imagine the set up too.

There is no such thing as too much Bracers. Trails in the Sky has 23 of them!

Squire

Banned
But. imagine seeing Estelle show in 3D with a brand new design and a smug, confidant expression.

It would be the best. The best.

EDIT: God, just imagine the set up too.

It'd be nice, but I also see a potential stealing of thunder (so to speak) by bringing back characters with that much gravity to them. Lloyd is probably in this game already and notice they're not rushing to bring that up.

I don't know, I'm of two minds on it. It's a cool way to literally realize the title (Estelle is certainly legendary to fans) and it's just cool to see characters you like in a modern form. But this game is already juggling a lot and given that it's a climax, I expect anyone that appears to be of relative import to the immediate narrative.

Like, Estelle being in this game wouldn't be like running into Lechter in Nord. She's obviously a much grander character than him in general, but what I mean is the set-up phase of this series is over. Bring back Estelle and you need to do something big with her. But she had her moment already whereas plenty of other characters are still in waiting.

So yeah. It wouldn't be bad per se, I just really question the neccesitty of it. SC is so incredibly satisfying on the narrative front that Estelle already sits very high up on the metaphorical shelf for me.

There is no such thing as too much Bracers. Trails in the Sky has 23 of them!

Yeah, but they have a lot more, well, liberty in Liberl. Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but from a writing standpoint it makes much more sense to funnel them into Calvard, where the guild still has good relations, rather than sending all he big names to Erebonia where they're more or less enemies of the state and there are plenty of natives already working on the issues there.

Nyoro SF

I love Estelle and Joshua but I have to agree with Squire, their appearance would be a major thunder stealer.

It would be like the Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney 4 situation, if you're going to put a character in, you have to realize they come with a lot of weight and established plot threads.

Aters

Estelle and Joshua are gonna steal the thunder for sure. But is it really a bad thing? Would you mind swapping "good guy Rean" for Mrs and Mr Awesome? I certainly wouldn't. Hell for me Agate and Tita are already stealing the thunder from Class VII, and I don't mind it at all.

Estelle and Joshua are gonna steal the thunder for sure. But is it really a bad thing? Would you mind swapping "good guy Rean" for Mrs and Mr Awesome? I certainly wouldn't. Hell for me Agate and Tita are already stealing the thunder from Class VII, and I don't mind it at all.

I dunno, I feel like having a prior character steal the spotlight from the character whose story this is supposed to be is bad storytelling.

Say what you want about which protagonist is better, but this is supposed to be Rean's story, and this is supposed to be the end, too.

You can tell more stories about Estelle and Joshua after the Erebonia arc is done.

sbs2601

Neo Member
They're probably going to show up if
Hamel
ends up being an important part of the story. Cameos are the last of my worries though; Falcom has proven themselves capable of weaving these type of MC cameos into the main story of a game without being intrusive or superfluous (Cagesong of the Ocean, Zero no Kiseki)

Lloyd is the one that will have to show up, one way or another. It will be interesting seeing him interact with class VII and Juna.

Kevin, I doubt it. Too many clergymen in Erebonia, but I guess Ein might appear. Even if it's just in a flashback for Gaius.

Squire

Banned
They're probably going to show up if
Hamel
ends up being an important part of the story. Cameos are the last of my worries though; Falcom has proven themselves capable of weaving these type of MC cameos into the main story of a game without being intrusive or superfluous (Cagesong of the Ocean, Zero no Kiseki)

You don't need them for that
when Leowe might be in the game.

Lloyd is the one that will have to show up, one way or another. It will be interesting seeing him interact with class VII and Juna.

Kevin, I doubt it. Too many clergymen in Erebonia, but I guess Ein might appear. Even if it's just in a flashback for Gaius.

I'm guessing no Kevin or Barkhorn since (major CS2 spoiler)
Thomas and Rosine are already there.

To be honest, I don't really understand the "thunder-stealing" apprehension, apart from how plausible any cameo could happen. After all, [CS 2, Sky 3rd]
Lloyd gets into Rean's game and Estelle gets into Lloyd and Kevin's games just fine.

Some like the current cast, though. And I prefer that characters would actually go through a complete character arc - divorced from whether I like them or not - instead of being replaced willy-nilly like it's some kind of a popularity contest.

preta

You don't need them for that
when Leowe might be in the game.

I'm guessing no Kevin or Barkhorn since (major CS2 spoiler)
Thomas and Rosine are already there.

Barkhorn has been confirmed for months since he appeared in the Cold Steel III artbook that came with Ys VIII PS4. And I would have been very surprised if he didn't appear.

Kevin, probably not.

Erheller

Okay, this is really bothering me.

Does The Final Choice from the 3rd show up in CS1/CS2? CS2's Awakening Will is pretty similar (and probably a callback to The Final Choice), but the instrumentation of The Final Choice feels too familiar to have been that.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Squire

Banned

Does The Final Choice from the 3rd show up in CS1/CS2? CS2's Awakening Will is pretty similar (and probably a callback to The Final Choice), but the instrumentation of The Final Choice feels too familiar to have been that.

Or maybe I'm just crazy.

"The Final Choice" is literally in CS2 towards the end of the game, so any similarities you've noticed are probably intentional.

Gu4n

Or maybe I'm just crazy.
You're not crazy: https://youtu.be/VVmwqgfiImw?t=19m29s

Heimdallr's background music is also re-arrangement of The Final Choice, as is the (CS2 spoiler)
Infernal Castle music (called Phantasmal Blaze)

As for the church's presence in Erebonia: it has been confirmed by CS2 that
Thomas, Dominion 2, is operating in East Erebonia and that Barkhorn, Dominion 8, is operating in West Erebonia
. Ao taught us that
Wazy, Dominion 9, is returning to Crossbell around the time of its liberation in S.1207, which is how far Sen III will go
. Kevin won't show up since his areas of jurisdiction are Liberl and Calvard. Ein might show up since she was last seen in Alster, East Erebonia (Ring of Judgment, before the start of Zero/Cold Steel) and was wearing not her usual Gralsritter uniform during the final scene in The 3rd, which omgfloofy thinks it might be a Erebonian Provincial Army uniform. With nothing else to go by, I think she's in the Heimdallr Cathedral we heard in Cold Steel's fourth chapter. That leaves us with a number of supporting Gralsritter, including Gaius.

The Old Schoolhouse behind the Thors Military Academy is out of the Church's jurisdiction, however. That's where the Hexen Clan and Gnomes come in. To cover all territory, a highly unexpected collaboration is happening in Sen III.

So I'm really only playing at night and I've been so stressed looking for work I've barely gotten to play Trails in the sky but I agree with who ever called the series "comfy". I don't know where any of this is going, I think I'll hold on on cold steel until after they (hopefully) translate the 2 games in-between but I'm loving the feel.

I don't know what it exactly is that's working so well for me, combats pretty fun and the story is simple enough. This is one of the few games that has really drawn me in but I can't quite put my finger on what it is that does it. Character writing is certainly great but these characters (so far) aren't the most complex.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
So I'm really only playing at night and I've been so stressed looking for work I've barely gotten to play Trails in the sky but I agree with who ever called the series "comfy". I don't know where any of this is going, I think I'll hold on on cold steel until after they (hopefully) translate the 2 games in-between but I'm loving the feel.

I don't know what it exactly is that's working so well for me, combats pretty fun and the story is simple enough. This is one of the few games that has really drawn me in but I can't quite put my finger on what it is that does it. Character writing is certainly great but these characters (so far) aren't the most complex.

I find "slow burn" stories to be some of my favorite, because they take their time to let you get to know the characters in more laid-back situations. That's why I liked Steins;Gate's intro despite some people considering it "slow." You get to know the characters, whereas in a lot of games you only really see characters in the context of constant action and plot development so it's hard to envision who they are when things aren't insane.

Where the "comfy" comes in for me is just how enjoyable that slice of life writing is. It's fun watching Estelle and Joshua tromp from town to town, Estelle being a bit of a brash tomboy with Joshua occasionally yanking her leash so she doesn't do something dumb, while Estelle plays kind of a "the heart" role for Joshua in turn. That hotheaded girl, cool guy dynamic really works for them. And the side characters they meet are equally amusing to watch since they change the dynamics of the group.

The story in FC might seem kind of episodic and content-light at first, and it is in some ways, but just about everything that happens has a purpose. 50-80 hours from now you'll be looking back and going "Oh, so that's what that means," or "Oh, I didn't even notice that."

I find "slow burn" stories to be some of my favorite, because they take their time to let you get to know the characters in more laid-back situations. That's why I liked Steins;Gate's intro despite some people considering it "slow..."

That's a good comparison right there. I'm also on the slow-burn gang when it comes to stories, I think most of my favorites are slow burn.
Then again, not everyone likes this kind of storytelling and prefer something more frontloaded.

That's [CS2]
Thomas Lysander.

Ahh, those damn
glasses
. Really interesting indeed.

Debating on whether or not to get the limited box set. What's the likelihood of there being a fair bit of interesting stuff written in the art book?

Gu4n

Ahh, those damn
glasses
. Really interesting indeed.
Who do you think this gentleman is?

Debating on whether or not to get the limited box set. What's the likelihood of there being a fair bit of interesting stuff written in the art book?
Hard to say...We haven't had a Falcom-published Kiseki game with an artbook since The 3rd, I think. That one was pretty amazing, but mostly for the concept art. After I finish the game, I will translate whatever is in there and add it to the Kiseki Wiki. :)

Rhapsody

Banned
I finally beat Ao no Kiseki and what a game. There's so many things I could say but I'll refrain, it would just go on for too long. The game definitely exceeded my expectations and then some. At the moment my ranking would probably be something like:

Ao > Zero >= 3rd > SC=CS2 > FC > CS1

Something like that, but I enjoyed them all. The momentum from Ao has me wanting to import Sen 3 which I'll probably end up doing. I'm excited for September.

The Yodobashi page doesn't have the box art up yet, so it's just the logo. But looking at the logo, and noticing again how it's on fire ...

In terms of fireworks, we're heading for another Ao, aren't we? Maybe we haven't seen a new trailer because they've still been working on a few of them ...

Who do you think this gentleman is?

Thomas again?
This guy is going to appear out of nowhere a lot of times in this games, is he? Kinda weird that
they left his reveal for CS2 NG+ now

I gave up and watch that 15 second trailer they posted a while ago. Legit chills when
Juna screams "give our crossbell back" or something like that
I didn't think the situation will be that bad.

I finally beat Ao no Kiseki and what a game. There's so many things I could say but I'll refrain, it would just go on for too long. The game definitely exceeded my expectations and then some. At the moment my ranking would probably be something like:

Ao > Zero >= 3rd > SC=CS2 > FC > CS1

Something like that, but I enjoyed them all. The momentum from Ao has me wanting to import Sen 3 which I'll probably end up doing. I'm excited for September.

I envy that you can understand japanese. Just starting to learn now and it's really difficult

Gu4n

The Yodobashi page doesn't have the box art up yet, so it's just the logo. But looking at the logo, and noticing again how it's on fire ...

In terms of fireworks, we're heading for another Ao, aren't we? Maybe we haven't seen a new trailer because they've still been working on a few of them ...
The trailers used to drop late July, but Tokyo Xanadu's trailer came on August 21st. With no Dengeki next week and only the Derfflinger update for the website next week, August 17th would be a good moment to drop it.

Screenshots added to the website yesterday were made with an old build, since the dialogue boxes still have the lose space on the left side (where the face should be).

Thomas again?
This guy is going to appear out of nowhere a lot of times in this games, is he? Kinda weird that
they left his reveal for CS2 NG+ now
Yes. So now we have a tag-team of (CS1/2 spoilers)
- the second-strongest Dominion and right hand of the Gralsritter's Grand Master (not to be confused with Ouroboros' Grandmaster, lol)
- an Anguis and witch of the Hexen Clan who doesn't hesitate to resort to forbidden techniques of her bloodline
- an undead vampire, the last remaining one because she murdered all others

I think I've started to warm up to the recent reveals for Sen III. If you are going to bother bringing back all this guys, then go crazy, don't hold any punches.
I'm going to also bet that
they are going to dissappear by the end of the game eitherway, lol

There's also the fact (Ao big spoilers)
Technically the SSS shouldn't exist after Zero, but they are all alive and kicking and you are not going to see me whining about it. Probably the best plost twist for me, specially after Zero's prologue

Jiraiza

Zero, Chapter 3, Day 4:

God damn it, the story with Renne and her parents, and then the tears that were shed from Renne, Estelle, and Joshua killed me inside.
This is quality stuff. My only complaint would be the hammed-in lines from Lloyd, as you would expect from a harem MC.

In any case, the Zero game not being localized yet has to be an absolute travesty for the English audience; not being able to see Renne's story wrapped up is just cruel, especially after getting to learn about her in the Third.

The trailers used to drop late July, but Tokyo Xanadu's trailer came on August 21st. With no Dengeki next week and only the Derfflinger update for the website next week, August 17th would be a good moment to drop it.

Screenshots added to the website yesterday were made with an old build, since the dialogue boxes still have the lose space on the left side (where the face should be).

- the second-strongest Dominion and right hand of the Gralsritter's Grand Master (not to be confused with Ouroboros' Grandmaster, lol)
- an Anguis and witch of the Hexen Clan who doesn't hesitate to resort to forbidden techniques of her bloodline

Is Falcom down to the wire?

Rhapsody

Banned
I envy that you can understand japanese. Just starting to learn now and it's really difficult

It's pretty hard starting out. I'm still far from the point where I can just get through all the story dialogue without a lot of checking through the dictionary, but I'm at where I'm probably satisfied enough to import Sen 3. I did use the translation doc to help speed things up on what I didn't know though.

If you're able to get your hands on a JP game later, I'd recommend just going through it and playing as much as you can (especially if it's a game you've already played in english or something). Way back, I wasn't concerned on trying to 100 percent translate everything as they came on screen. Being able to just familiarize with the shapes and words that appear often was a helpful start without feeling like a chore.

Taruranto

This reminds me,
Red Moon Rose was pretty much a parody of Tsukihime down to the vampire terminology, it feels a bit weird discover the story was all true, eh.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just started Trails 3rd. I played FC/SC on Normal and I think it was fine, but CS1 was too easy. I played CS2 on Hard and it was perfect.

Based on that, what difficulty should I pick for 3rd?

Also, I'm having an issue, maybe related to my controller (using a DS4): in battle, the camera is constantly rotating, and I can't seem to stop it. Any idea?

jb1234

Just started Trails 3rd. I played FC/SC on Normal and I think it was fine, but CS1 was too easy. I played CS2 on Hard and it was perfect.

Based on that, what difficulty should I pick for 3rd?

Also, I'm having an issue, maybe related to my controller (using a DS4): in battle, the camera is constantly rotating, and I can't seem to stop it. Any idea?

I also have a DS4 and don't have that issue (but I use InputMapper).

I'd go with Normal, honestly. 3rd is definitely more challenging than FC and SC on that difficulty setting.

Top Bottom