• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial Average Median Income Per State

Note that the youngest millennials are college-aged and may only be working part time, which may skew the median downward.

������

That's one way to skew numbers, I'd much rather see the numbers for those who work/are available to work full time

Seriously.

Hmmmm, millennials come pretty cheap.

I should hire one to be my foot stool.

jbMvyws.jpg

tokkun

I just feel like the digital/internet/mobile age and 9/11 really skews things. Someone born in the mid 1980s is going to have a completely different childhood than those born in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Although at least the mid 1990s isn't as bad.

And if using the standard 20-25 year mark, that would mean someone born in 1985 is in the same generation as someone born in 2005-2010. It just doesn't work here I don't think.

And you don't feel like watershed moments existed for previous generations? Moon landing, Vietnam, Kennedy assassination are not culturally important enough compared to cell phones?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Then why not do the same for all previous generations? Break up the boomers and gen x into two different groups.

I didn't make the chart, Spork4000. And yes, absolutely. You now seem to be a arguing with your own comment i was responding to. Congrats.

RDreamer

And you don't feel like watershed moments existed for previous generations? Moon landing, Vietnam, Kennedy assassination are not culturally important enough compared to cell phones?

Generations probably could use to be more granular, but yes cell phones and 100% connection is kind of a big deal change for people.

the trick is to live in a cheap terrible area with no hope of leaving

I just got a job where I make $13hr and I feel like I'm swimming in gold

Doran902

So this includes people like me (89) and people like my brother (96) as the same average but hes in 3rd year uni and has only worked part time work and I have been working full time for like 7 years. Makes sense why the number is so low.

Then why not do the same for all previous generations? Break up the boomers and gen x into two different groups.

If Boomers were roughly from 1943/44 to the early 1960s, was there that much of a revolutionary change that affected the population at large in that time like what internet/mobile devices have done? I guess you had the rise of TV, but even then, it wasn't exactly widespread.

For Gen X, being the early 1960s to early 1980s might be a better case due to Civil Rights, but even then, those issues were still being dealt with into the 1970s and 1980s. And even further. But as far as how people interacted with others and the world, I'm not sure if there was a massive shift like we see now.

Shauni

From TN, I made just under 21k last year, so I guess I'm on the line. But I'm "part-time" and work around 45-50 hours a week, on average, and have only gotten a ten cent raise in two years of working so there's that.

tokkun

If Boomers were roughly from 1943/44 to the early 1960s, was there that much of a revolutionary change that affected the population at large in that time like what internet/mobile devices have done? I guess you had the rise of TV, but even then, it wasn't exactly widespread.

How about the fact that some of them were of an age to be drafted and sent off to kill or be killed in a jungle?

I would hazard to say that might be a bigger difference than whether you got your first cell phone at age 10 or age 20.

Obviously major events happened in every generation. But not all of those major events redefined how people interacted with each other. How they interacted with the world. How they communicated. Not every one redefined geopolitical issues and long-term attitudes in the US. Berlin Wall/USSR collapse did. 9/11 did and we're still feeling the effects of it.

You say it's just a cell phone, but it's more than that. It's the connectivity, the communication, sharing of information, literally how children now perceive the world versus others. Kennedy didn't cause that. Vietnam didn't either. I think that is a very understated effect on the Millennial generation. What a generation was exposed to as they came of age is very important.

RDreamer

How about the fact that some of them were of an age to be drafted and sent off to kill or be killed in a jungle?

I would hazard to say that might be a bigger difference than whether you got your first cell phone at age 10 or age 20.

That's probably why Wikipedia even has this to say:

In the U.S., the generation can be segmented into two broadly defined cohorts: The Leading-Edge Baby Boomers are individuals born between 1946 and 1955, those who came of age during the Vietnam War era. This group represents slightly more than half of the generation, or roughly 38,002,000 people of all races. The other half of the generation was born between 1956 and 1964. Called Late Boomers, or Trailing-Edge Boomers, this second cohort includes about 37,818,000 individuals, according to Live Births by Age and Mother and Race, 1933–98, published by the Center for Disease Control's National Center for Health Statistics.[11]

So yeah something like Vietnam should probably split the generation. Cell phone dominance should also split the generation.

I really think you're underestimating what the cell phone and always connected life did for growing up.

You make $8500 a year working full-time?

I make a little over $9000 but no not full time, I also live in one of the lowest median income cities in my state so housing is much lower then average. A 3 Bedroom apartment everything including can be found for $600 pretty easily, nothing else is cheap though =/

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Damn what state are you in?

Yea, owning a house is like a pipe dream right now. House prices have risen a lot in the past few years. I work my ass off too lol it sucks.

Central New Jersey. Its by no mean's a big or extravagant house and I'm putting a large down payment on it which offsets things. I also paid off my student loans in a few years and was able to save up a lot thanks to a job that didn't require me to have a car or rent and gave my health insurance. I wouldn't call my situation typical by any means.

I make double that working in philly and I'm barely making it with my student loans I don't know how anyone else making less is able to

I feel for you all. This shit ain't right.

That's probably why Wikipedia even has this to say:

So yeah something like Vietnam should probably split the generation. Cell phone dominance should also split the generation.

I really think you're underestimating what the cell phone and always connected life did for growing up.

And that's fair too. I shouldn't have said Vietnam didn't redefine the larger US culture - it obviously did. At least at the time. I feel like the current effect now is just there isn't a realistic option of a draft. But the US government has responded in kind by maintaining a massive standing/reserve voluntary military with technology to assist.

I have heard of the notions of making sub-generations, which use Vietnam as a dividing point.

Shadybiz

I remember what it was like to make around $25k in NJ...it fucking sucked. Property taxes, student loan payments...wretched. Hopefully a lot of these younger people get to see advancements in their careers/roles.

Shauni

I mean, at this point, what even are options for high paying work? It feels like there's almost no real opportunities unless you're in engineering or IT or something like that

I mean, at this point, what even are options for high paying work? It feels like there's almost no real opportunities unless you're in engineering or IT or something like that

It's bad and getting worse. I know people with 4 year college degrees that are currently working at Domino's

Automation will only leave less and less jobs over the next decade.

Don't worry guys. Just stay the course. Appeal to old suburban republicans in 2018. Young people don't vote and don't matter. They are totally fine and just a bunch of lazy fucks. It's not like they have been justifiably disallusioned and need some sort of ray of hope or anything. They just suck and eat too much avacado toast. Get and line and vote D regardless of whatever corrupt shit heads the party puts out. Please be excited.

The old part-time workload has become volunteer/intern work.

The old full-time workload has become part-time work.

A full-time, 30k+ job is now something to aspire to, rather than a starting point.

zashga

Those numbers are incredibly low. How is our consumerist culture supposed to sustain itself if no one can afford to buy anything?

Top Bottom