• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS unboxing photos - 6 of AR card Revealed~(Interesting)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was really worried that Nintendo would somehow overlook that AR could be the 3DS most impressive feature, but from the sounds of it they recognize that if handled right they've got a game-changer here.

Pokemon TCG 3DS. That's all they have to do. It will sell a millionty gajillion copies.

WillyFive

Gravijah said:
Man, I'm totally gonna end up losing these fucking cards.

I still have the e-cards that came with Super Mario Bros. 3 for GBA. They had extra levels and free power ups, but I never used them because I didn't have the e-reader.

MisterHero

Londa said:
I actually bought the eReader for all the animal crossing cards.
Awesome.

I was actually thinking that I wish 3DS AR was produced alongside the Pokemon TCG when it was new lol

because it was e-capable for a bit, but like the e-reader itself, didn't catch on

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Gravijah said:
I actually really like the box. Can't wait to have it sitting... somewhere. Maybe a closet.
I've got a whole corner in my closet full of boxes to Nintendo handhelds.

I'm not a packrat, but I just can't part with my cardboard babies

Barkley's Justice said:
delectably archaic looking.

also, box is quite un-sexy, yea?

metalgear.jpg

LordAlu

Dammit, we were told by Head Office our demo units would be in store this week and we still don't have them. Now I know why! They've kept them all for themselves to play with and do this unboxing rubbish!

seat

Neat stuff, but I'm distracted by that long, dirty thumbnail and nasty cuticle in the last pic. Ew! Couldn't the guy have cleaned up a little before taking the photos?

The_Technomancer said:
What Metal Gear is that? When did it come out?

Because if its post-2007 its a great reference, and if its pre-2007 its one hell of a coincidence.

It's the tanker from MGS2, so 2000-2001. I'm not following you..

That looks beautiful... it's making me wish I ordered the blue one instead of the black one... Only reason I got the black one was because the top area is black even on the blue one and I wanted a uniform color.

moozoom

Gravijah said:
Those changed who was on the island, didn't they?
I hope the 3DS version has the island again.

From what I remember, each card had a different character on it, some were villagers, some were merchants or special guests, and each card contained a gift that was sent to you by mail when you scanned it. There was a limit to how many cards you could scan every day, but it made collecting items and earning money much easier... You could collect some Nes games too with some rare cards, those were my favorites. Too bad they charge us money to play retro games, nowadays... In the gamecube game they were free, and fun to collect.

I bought many, many cards at the time... But I was an hardcore animal crossing fan at the time. I Hope they do many changes to the gameplay for the 3ds version, cause I'm burnt out after the Wii and Ds games. (And make the grass re-grow faster!)

The short 3d movie I saw at the nintendo event was sweet, though. I hope they won't make buying cards mandatory to collect items in games...

[Nintex]

polyh3dron said:
That looks beautiful... it's making me wish I ordered the blue one instead of the black one... Only reason I got the black one was because the top area is black even on the blue one and I wanted a uniform color.
The black one looks different in real life, the color difference isn't that noticable.

- J - D -

polyh3dron said:

What all these pics don't show you is the day-glo teal bottom plate of the blue 3DS.

The_Technomancer said:
I was really worried that Nintendo would somehow overlook that AR could be the 3DS most impressive feature, but from the sounds of it they recognize that if handled right they've got a game-changer here.

Pokemon TCG 3DS. That's all they have to do. It will sell a millionty gajillion copies.

They're comparing the AR games to WiiSports. They're going to push this feature in a big way, and I couldn't be happier. Lots of room for gaming growth in AR when handled right.

Have a PAL 3DS now, and can say, for those confused:

The ? card launches the program in AR games. You're then given six options for six games. One of thsoe games places Miis into the real world. You can move them around with the stick and change their pose with face buttons. Sadly there's no animation - it's like static statues. You can also move around in real space to change the angle of the look you have on them, and then take photos of the Miis.

There's also a program which lets you do the same. All those cards do is bring Samus, Kirby, Mario etc out into the world. Again - static statues, and you can change their pose with the fact buttons. You can also take pictures. I managed to get all the cards/characters to appear at once, which I thought was quite cool. There's some cool sound effects from their games when the characters appear, too.

So, that's what they do. The character cards aren't games, but the character card bit - I think it's called "Star Viewer" - is one of the 'six' AR games.

moozoom

The bottom part of the blue 3ds is very sparkly and shiny, but after a little surprise, I found it nice. It won't be everyone's cup of tea for sure.

APZonerunner said:

The ? card launches the program in AR games. You're then given six options for six games. One of thsoe games places Miis into the real world. You can move them around with the stick and change their pose with face buttons. Sadly there's no animation - it's like static statues. You can also move around in real space to change the angle of the look you have on them, and then take photos of the Miis.

There's also a program which lets you do the same. All those cards do is bring Samus, Kirby, Mario etc out into the world. Again - static statues, and you can change their pose with the fact buttons. You can also take pictures. I managed to get all the cards/characters to appear at once, which I thought was quite cool. There's some cool sound effects from their games when the characters appear, too.

So, that's what they do. The character cards aren't games, but the character card bit - I think it's called "Star Viewer" - is one of the 'six' AR games.

Aww, that's disappointing. They should be animated at the very least. Oh well, hopefully the other 4 games are good.

DarkWish

So basically it's like this...

AR Game #1: Target Shooting
- Uses the ? Card
- Shoot targets that appear; move around in real space to hit them

AR Game #2: Star Viewer
- Uses any AR Card
- Pose static figures of various Nintendo characters (or Mii's if you use the ? Card) and take photos

AR Games #3-6 are unknown.

EDIT: Wait... APZonerunner, since you have a 3DS, could you tell us what the other AR Games are? Or are you not allowed to say?

APZonerunner said:

This should be placed on the OP so people don't get carried away dreaming up stuff these cards can do.

I was blown away that Nintendogs was animated so I wonder why they could not Animate the Star Viewer cards? Not enough time? or not enough memory on the hardware?

still pretty cool

Top Bottom