• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

I was inspired by some of the photos on here and had an idea while putting together my series 7 minifigs...

trident.jpg

Saw Avengers yesterday. Now I want an UCS hellicarrier.

The Helicarrier and one of those giant alien worms are the two sets left I really want for Avengers.

I really hope Lego keeps making Marvel sets for a long time. I'd love a bunch more comic-based sets, and would kill for an X-Men set with a Sentinel.

Black-Box

Yeah it's beyond fucked, your post reminded me of something I was going to do up response to the marvel set prices...

pricedifference.jpg

you guys will get charged more because of location and population size. Canadians pay more for stuff because we have a small population compared to the US. BUT that might change in the near future!

how do you guys live down there knowing you gotta pay so much for things than anyone else, like dam that is expensive

ghostmind

I'm really looking forward to the Sopwith Camel. Metallic silver elements!

It's always fun to listen to Jamie Berard in these videos. He should do a regular video series on advanced build concepts, but I guess that would take time away from him building new sets.

I was googling for Spiderman LEGO & came across this....

http://i.imgur.com/naOrE.jpg

HANDSOME APPEARANCE!
GIS'd that Spidey pic and found this blog: http://www.reasonablyclever.com/blog/labels/Fail.html

Pretty funny how they seem to use actual Lego molds but apparently with no quality control.

Ah, yes, pesky rubber bands. How are they, quality wise? And am I correct in assuming that the strain comes primarily from having the wings open?
Ya, they are relaxed when the wings are closed. The quality seems very high and maybe they will last a long time. They feel more like plastic than rubber.

Anyone know from experience how long Lego rubber bands last?

neonglow

GIS'd that Spidey pic and found this blog: http://www.reasonablyclever.com/blog/labels/Fail.html

Pretty funny how they seem to use actual Lego molds but apparently with no quality control.

Ya, they are relaxed when the wings are closed. The quality seems very high and maybe they will last a long time. They feel more like plastic than rubber.

Anyone know from experience how long Lego rubber bands last?

My old rubberbands on Technic sets eventually dried up and became very brittle after a few years.

Black-Box

Can you explain this?

companies are charging Canadian's more for stuff because we don't have the population the same size as America.

and apparently they are just allowed to charge more just because we are a different country.

I can try to find links, but it was on the radio a month ago.

but as Canada dollar stays high this will just be a bigger and bigger issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just started building my bricklinkd cafe corner. It's ok so far, but I already bumped into a couple of pieces I somehow missed. Managed to substitute so far. One odd thing is that the entrance to upstairs has these lovely dark blue arches supporting the stairs, but they are completely covered up so you can't see them at all in the finished build. I'm tempted to mod a rear door just so you can use the space under the stairs as storage, and show the arch. There is also an odd gap either side of the stairs which seems out of place and eats into the space available for the main cafe. The corner door build seems over complicated too.

Nearly done the first floor, but stopped just before the grand decoration over the door and hotel sign.

PDF instructions are bloody awful though. Low contrast and jpeg blocking everywhere. Sometimes you can hardly see how many of a piece you need, and this build has lots of dark blue and dark grey. Nightmare. Entire modular instructions are only 14MB - could easily be 3-4x that size

I just started building my bricklinkd cafe corner. It's ok so far, but I already bumped into a couple of pieces I somehow missed. Managed to substitute so far. One odd thing is that the entrance to upstairs has these lovely dark blue arches supporting the stairs, but they are completely covered up so you can't see them at all in the finished build. I'm tempted to mod a rear door just so you can use the space under the stairs as storage, and show the arch. There is also an odd gap either side of the stairs which seems out of place and eats into the space available for the main cafe. The corner door build seems over complicated too.

Nearly done the first floor, but stopped just before the grand decoration over the door and hotel sign.

PDF instructions are bloody awful though. Low contrast and jpeg blocking everywhere. Sometimes you can hardly see how many of a piece you need, and this build has lots of dark blue and dark grey. Nightmare. Entire modular instructions are only 14MB - could easily be 3-4x that size

I've only recently become aware of BrickLink, but are you saying you're reconstructing sets by buying the parts individually rather than the set? How does that work?

Yeah, that goes for a lot of the Brickset instructions. When I was putting together a bunch of old Batman sets I bought in a huge lot, I finally gave up and just ordered the instructions from Bricklink and eBay. Even those instructions were often too dark to distinguish well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've only recently become aware of BrickLink, but are you saying you're reconstructing sets by buying the parts individually rather than the set? How does that work?

From bricklink up you can view the inventory of a set and add it to a wanted list. Then you can go through and see which stores have the most of the pieces you need and buy them.

In the case of cafe corner, I had about half the pieces already, the rest were either bought from bricklink, or from Lego.com (the roof slopes were very expensive on bricklink so I got those from Lego.com)

Others have done the UCS millennium falcon the same way for way less than the price of buying a full set

Christian

I'm crying bitter, bitter man tears. Picked up five more minifigures. No Evil Knight. Got the Computer Programmer, which I'm actually cool with getting. Got the Merman, the Valkyrie, the Hippie, and another friggin' Jungle Boy. I try to feel it out, but I lose patience and just grab a couple that I think it could be, then a couple randoms. If no one on here wants to trade, I'll probably just put the unwanted ones on eBay and try to win one on there. Can't waste money on these, I need to save for LotR sets. :'( <// Man tears

I'm crying bitter, bitter man tears. Picked up five more minifigures. No Evil Knight. Got the Computer Programmer, which I'm actually cool with getting. Got the Merman, the Valkyrie, the Hippie, and another friggin' Jungle Boy. I try to feel it out, but I lose patience and just grab a couple that I think it could be, then a couple randoms. If no one on here wants to trade, I'll probably just put the unwanted ones on eBay and try to win one on there. Can't waste money on these, I need to save for LotR sets. :'( <// Man tears

My five evil knights feel empathy for you.

Naka

It definitely requires patience. The evil knight isnt' too hard to feel out because of his shield.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got some series 7 figs today. Felt the bags and found Bunnyman, and Dark Knight. Kept trying to find Bagpipe man, got frustrated and just grabbed 3 random bags.

Got Bagpipe man :) . Also got Aztec warrior and Space Marine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
haha damn you. What are you feeling for? I've never bought a minifigure so I'm new to this. But I really want that evil knight and space marine.

The shield is a dead givaway for the Dark Knight. Space Marine can be found by the big armor piece. Only other piece that big in series 7 is the Aztec helmet.

depths20XX

I lose patience too, but luckily I've only gotten one duplicate which was the minotaur, and I like that minifig anyways. Got a bunch of series 6 and 5 ones that I didn't have today. All of series 7 was out at TRU someone really cleaned them out because they had a ton last week.

Edit: It doesn't help that the pile for them at TRU is right out there in the middle of the floor and the few times I've gone there I get comments about me feeling up the bags, haha. Not a huge deal though.

I lose patience too, but luckily I've only gotten one duplicate which was the minotaur, and I like that minifig anyways. Got a bunch of series 6 and 5 ones that I didn't have today. All of series 7 was out at TRU someone really cleaned them out because they had a ton last week.

How much do they cost at Toys R Us? OI was thinking of swinging by today but wasn't sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom