• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Model (CECH-4000) Registered on FCC (Jeff_Rigby alert)

Cheech

I think the first batch of PS3 slims makes a little crack/pop sound at random. I used to have that on my first slim. My second however, is almost dead silent.

I have a newer slim (infamous 2 bundle) and the drive in it makes a ton of noise while seeking. I have a two year old standalone Sony BD player and it's worlds quieter. Makes me sad.

MYE

I think the first batch of PS3 slims makes a little crack/pop sound at random. I used to have that on my first slim. My second however, is almost dead silent.

Its the plastic expanding because of temperature changes. It also happens after you turn it off for the same reason, its cooling down.

Jawmuncher

I never understood the whole
PS3 is quieter than Xbox 360.

While my old 360 was loud, my PS3 get's really loud after it's been on for 30 minutes.
I have no clue why.

Anyway i'm down for a new model of the PS3, but considering they showed off that bundle with AC3 (Using a regular slim) they're either going to change that or this sucker isn't coming out until next year.

tsab

While my old 360 was loud, my PS3 get's really loud after it's been on for 30 minutes.
I have no clue why.

Anyway i'm down for a new model of the PS3, but considering they showed off that bundle with AC3 (Using a regular slim) they're either going to change that or this sucker isn't coming out until next year.

A 2nd or 3rd generation PS3Slim is very silent. My 1stGen Slim cracks and gets loud after 30 minutes too, thats when the fan kicks in.

Audioboxer

My attempt at a PS3 slim redesign

aat44LTz.jpg

edit: forgot the EJECT and POWER buttons lolol
It doesnt need them, my version is powered by YOUR MIND

I would buy.

Theonik

I have no clue why.

Dunno, can't hear my CECHL fat PS3 at all, whereas my 360 Slim is really loud in comparison even more so when spinning a disk which thankfully is rare as I install games on the HDD.

My attempt at a PS3 slim redesign

aat44LTz.jpg

edit: forgot the EJECT and POWER buttons lolol
It doesnt need them, my version is powered by YOUR MIND

niiice. very nice.

rotatable ps logo would be nice.

a more 'boxy' look of ps2 slim would be very very nice.

Jarnet87

All for a newer and cheaper PS3. I have one that came with Spiderman, and that PoS gives me a new problem everytime I boot the dam system. Should have just scrapped it when the Hard Drive and disc drive/reader died.

I have no clue why.

My 360 from 2006 sounds like a helicopter taking off in my room. In my small bedroom, it actually affects my television volume.

My PS3 is pretty damn quiet in comparison.

I have no clue why.

Or they wanted people to get excited without blowing their GC surprise.

denomes

My phat just went YLOD and I'm really torn between just picking up a current slim and waiting for this thing. What to do?

it looks like a kids toy.

I'll take a reliable console that looks like a kids toy anyday over a poorly made to last 3 years tops adult looking PS1.

*gamecube* ahem

and that mockup a poster in here did looks gorgeous. I have a feeling it won't look as good though :(

Theonik

It might not even stand vertically, the base isn't flush with the edge* Maybe they're wanting to sell mandatory stands for that..

*nvm that's true with the ps3 slim too.
Well they are already selling stands for the current slim. If it gets any thinner on this revision it might very well be mandatory to use one.

http://www.8bitbites.com/2012/07/11/ps3-5-leaked/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ps3-5-leaked said:
In the wake of disappointment over the lack of a PS4 release this year, it seems that Sony is going to give fans a consolation prize of sorts. Insider sources reveal that Sony has filed paperwork with the FCC indicating that a new-and improved PS3 is on it’s way!

Interviews with a Sony employee, who prefers to remain anonymous, have confirmed the rumors of a new PS3 release. The PS3.5, as it will be called, is scheduled to be released around the same time as the Wii U as a direct competitor to the next generation Nintendo console.

“Sony doesn’t feel the need to release a next-gen console at this point in time,” said the unnamed Sony employee with a chuckle. “Not with our current ‘competition,’ at any rate.”

The PS3.5 will feature the same specs as the PS3 Slim, except it will be even thinner and will feature full backwards compatibility. Technology-wise, it will still be way ahead of the curve with regards to the upcoming Wii U.

Expect to see a formal announcement of the PS3.5 at Gamescom 2012 next month.

No support for this so I don't know if it can be believed. <grin> I didn't write it.

Chris R

Why would it have full BC when Sony is making serious bank with the PS2 releases on PSN and the HD rereleases?

I'd have to upgrade if this was true though, jumped from a phat 60 to a slim last black friday...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Makes no sense to release model with BC now with all the PSN releases of PS2 collections and the like.
Seems like the author took the FCC information and then padded the article with some random rumours to get hits.

Elios83

Seems like the author took the FCC information and then padded the article with some random rumours to get hits.

Indeed. It's just the FCC news discovered on GAF with added (nonsensical) speculation by the author to get hits.
The typical news article you can find on N4G basically.

Why would it have full BC when Sony is making serious bank with the PS2 releases on PSN and the HD rereleases?

I'd have to upgrade if this was true though, jumped from a phat 60 to a slim last black friday...
If the PS3.5 has upgraded hardware it will have to emulate the older PS3 hardware even if it contains a Cell processor or 1 PPU and enough SPUs to run PS3 software.

Elios83 said:
Indeed. It's just the FCC news discovered on GAF with added (nonsensical) speculation by the author to get hits.
The typical news article you can find on N4G basically.
Yup, that seems the more reasonable theory.

I have a newer slim (infamous 2 bundle) and the drive in it makes a ton of noise while seeking. I have a two year old standalone Sony BD player and it's worlds quieter. Makes me sad.

Thought that was just me. My slim (prior to tumbling off the dresser and breaking) used to make these pop sounds all the tim.

Marco1

I think I will await this new PS3 as I am looking to jump back onto the playstation family.
MS have nothing to keep me there any more and I have a gut feeling they will disappoint me next-gen.

Boss Man

What was the version they gave to Kaz?
I think it had the power supply exposed. If there's any connection worth talking about, it's that this new slimmer PS3 might have an external power supply. Whatever it is, I just hope it's as cheap as possible. A paper thin $150 PS3 like what they did with PS2 would be pretty incredible.

My metal gear 80 gig bc phat is starting to feel the burn... The fan turns on almost instantly now and when it isn't on it just started making a sort of loan whining noise, I fear it isn't long for this world... Any idea when this is coming out?

Top Bottom