• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

GP Orlando was officially a success, except for being sick and congested the entire weekend. That was pretty shitty. I left with a box of Conspiracy 2 from the prize wall, and a cool new artist playmat. The Boros burn build some of you suggested was explosive and beat two different Jund players. I also picked up some Hareruya sleeves for limited, since they came in packs of 50.

V9Esqgu.jpg

bigkrev

I thought Enchantments were what we were getting for Masterpieces this block. They get to fill 20 slots between the 2 sets with the 15 Theros gods and the 5 new Gods!

Santiako

They can't put the theros gods in there since they're limiting themselves into fitting the masterpieces within the flavour of the set.

Yeef

Odds that we get a green value creature with both cycling and embalm?
Maybe. I'd estimate that embalm is primarily in black and white (and the BW draft archetype).

This is my guess on the mechanic breakdown

Cycling: All Colors
Embalm: White/Black with a bit in Green
Exert: Red/Green with a bit in Black
Consequence/Aftermath: All colors, primarily Blue/Red
Brick Counters: Green/Blue and Colorless

Based on some of the commons that were spoiled, I expect this to be a slower limited format. Even red gets a 3/4 at 2RR instead of the bog-standard 4/3.

en_t8tHfSE2LY.png
en_ZSqT7xMvI8.png
en_cOlP2Za8vZ.png
en_oM2mZpj1MG.png

Well, I'm betting the Shard theme is out 100% now. We have Giant Spider at 166 and Oracle Vault at 239. There's no way that we'd get anything significant in Gold by this ordering. Khans ended Green at 158 and Alara at 152.

Well, I'm betting the Shard theme is out 100% now. We have Giant Spider at 166 and Oracle Vault at 239. There's no way that we'd get anything significant in Gold by this ordering. Khans ended Green at 158 and Alara at 152.

Yeah, we'd be looking at an absolute max of about 30 gold cards in the set, assuming a weirdly low number of artifacts; Khans, in comparison, has 56. We also know that none of the set promos are gold, which almost certainly wouldn't happen if multicolor was a significant theme.

Guys, that artifact is the only thing that uses "brick" counters. It's probably not a mechanic.

Like Thing In the Ice, and Dark Depths, it has it's own unique counters. Six distinct mechanics, two of which involving counters would be too much even for a large set.

They're on every one of the punchout cards they're including in packs. It's a mechanic.

Eh, you might be right.

Sometimes though, they overcompensate with an abundance of unique tokens distributed in packs that only one card makes. Ragavan is a good example of this. Those bricks might just be an instance of this.

Eh, you might be right.

Sometimes though, they overcompensate with an abundance of unique tokens distributed in packs that only one card makes. Ragavan is a good example of this. Those bricks might just be an instance of this.

The article does also say that the brick counters "help you build things like" the Vault, rather than only it.

This is what I'm talking about, correct me if I'm wrong but this is a left arm

It's blurry but if you look close you can see that the thumb's on the front and you can see the handle underneath it in front of the hand.

Yeah, we'd be looking at an absolute max of about 30 gold cards in the set, assuming a weirdly low number of artifacts; Khans, in comparison, has 56. We also know that none of the set promos are gold, which almost certainly wouldn't happen if multicolor was a significant theme.
The question I'm left wondering is how Bolas fits into this. It's weird to print what will probably be a pushed for competitive Bolas potentially not see play at all because Shards aren't really a thing right now

OnPoint

I'm expecting the new Bolas to come in at a cost of (5)(U)(B)(R).

I would think you could swing 3 colors by turn 8 if you needed.

It's blurry but if you look close you can see that the thumb's on the front and you can see the handle underneath it in front of the hand.
Aw yeah makes sense, still looks a bit off but that could be due to the blurriness.
The question I'm left wondering is how Bolas fits into this. It's weird to print what will probably be a pushed for competitive Bolas potentially not see play at all because Shards aren't really a thing right now
you can play 4 colours very easily right now, vehicles has done it in the past and it's even easier if you are base green. I don't even bother with evolving wilds.

bigkrev

I'm expecting the new Bolas to come in at a cost of (5)(U)(B)(R).

I would think you could swing 3 colors by turn 8 if you needed.

You forgot to add the G in his mana cost, because Bolas, like Urza, is obviously green

There is some Simic in him or something!

y2dvd

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...I got fooled again. DX

Absolutely pathetic box. I got the 4 worst mythics in the set lol. Please convince me from ever purchasing a master box again. That's twice in a row now lol.

Alright, time to cover everything.

* Punch cards for counters is great. Hopefully that becomes a thing.
* Brick counters being a theme, instead of just a thing for that one card, is unexpected.
* Embalm is interesting. As for why the mummies are white, the fact that the creatures have embalm means they are probably willingly allowing themselves to be mummified, as society expects from them. I do imagine the reminder text will be quite long, but even if it was short, the nature of embalm's recursion would favor simpler abilities on the creature. It's really interesting that each embalm creature gets its own token; I wonder what this could mean for future mechanics.
* So exert really is "double tap" after all. I wonder how that mechanically fits in with everything else. It certainly doesn't have a particularly Egyptian flavor.
* Giant Spider is back!
* Tattered Mummy has the creature type Jackal, not Hound!
en_mbVorMDziL.png

* Surprised the black Welcome Deck uses Raise Dead instead of Disentomb.
* Huh, so I guess the set is actually monocolor. Didn't see that coming.
* The high toughness common creatures makes me think that in addition to the other mechanics, we'll still see wither.

OnPoint

I'm waiting for the NWO-style heel turn where he schools the entire Gatewatch, flies into the center of their beaten, bloody bodies, rips off his Bolas-mask and reveals Urza underneath.

"It was me all along, Jace!"

traveler

Not Wario
A prominent streamer, when discussing how they little they could talk about the invocations ahead of time, mentioned that their preferences were given some weight in terms of who got which spoiler. He mentioned they asked if he liked draw spells, removal spells, counterspells, etc. so it's pretty much confirmed both instants and sorceries are included.

I'm waiting for the NWO-style heel turn where he schools the entire Gatewatch, flies into the center of their beaten, bloody bodies, rips off his Bolas-mask and reveals Urza underneath.

"It was me all along, Jace!"
You're forgetting the Grand reveal that he's the Father of all of the Gatewatch, even Ajani.

"I CREATED YOU SO YOU CAN HELP ME STOP THE TRUE THREAT: NEW PHYREXIA"

Yeef

We already know that Bolas won't show up in card form until Hour of Devastation based on the packaging we've seen.

Guys, that artifact is the only thing that uses "brick" counters. It's probably not a mechanic.

Like Thing In the Ice, and Dark Depths, it has it's own unique counters. Six distinct mechanics, two of which involving counters would be too much even for a large set.
-1/-1 counters isn't really a mechanic in this sense. Cycling is also simple enough that it could be evergreen if they really wanted it to be.

Exert and Embalm both have memory issues, which is likely why they're trying the punch cards here. The brick counters likely just came along for the ride.

I don't expect Aftermath to be on any commons, so its complexity issues aren't as big a deal.

Son1x

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...I got fooled again. DX

Absolutely pathetic box. I got the 4 worst mythics in the set lol. Please convince me from ever purchasing a master box again. That's twice in a row now lol.

That does look pretty bad.

At least its not like the box a local player opened

Tunoku

So what's the plan for spoilers today? Tomorrow we're getting all the masterpiece regardless, but some of them are being previewed by streamers? So I guess TCC, Mana Source, etc.?

bigkrev

So what's the plan for spoilers today? Tomorrow we're getting all the masterpiece regardless, but some of them are being previewed by streamers? So I guess TCC, Mana Source, etc.?

Streamers are going to have a card or 2 to give out, and we are probably going to see them trickle out through the day, cause streamers live in different time zones and stream at different times. I wouldn't look for anything before 8 AM PDT, which is when the mothership updates, though

y2dvd

Went and bought the remaining fetches I needed for commander. It sucks just how expensive lands are but fetches are just too good.

Yeah I'm trying to collect a set of the rest. I didn't own any Marsh Flats before this box opening so that was a silver lining I suppose. Just weird having to pay this much for these set of fetches when the others saw a standard reprint, dropping them as low as $10 iirc.

I was hoping for a Conspiracy reprint but oh well, take what we can get.

bigkrev

I have a Playset of Khans Fetches, a Playset of MM17 Misty, 1 Verdant, and i'm planning on picking up a set of Arid Mesa or Scalding Tarn, depending on how the prices move.

Should allow me to play any Modern deck I'd want to.

Malvolio

Got lucky with MM so far. Only opened three packs but I managed to get a foil Scalding Tarn. Wife opened three as well and pulled a Snapcaster Mage and a Cavern of Souls. We've got three more packs paid for and to be opened at our next group gathering, but I'd say we're in the positive for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom