• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Guzim

If you've got TCM, you may want to clear some space on your DVR and setup some recordings this week. Their lineup this week is INSANE.

Badlands
They Live By Night
Modern Times
Bon Voyage
The Searchers
The Letter
Othello
Psycho
Peeping Tom
The Night of the Hunter
A Face in the Crowd
Westworld
2001 A Space Odyssey

That's just today. It's pretty much like this for the rest of the week. You can find the schedule here.

TCM is great with adding stuff on demand too. I can't wait to watch these (again).

Few things are more annoying than trying to parse which label owns the rights to which movies, which region they're releasing in, and whether or not those rights will change in a year and a new 4K scan will be made.

Few things are more annoying than trying to parse which label owns the rights to which movies, which region they're releasing in, and whether or not those rights will change in a year and a new 4K scan will be made.
Now now, I think we can all agree radical color changes, poorly edited needless additional footage insertion, and pan and scan are much more worrisome. :p

But yes film distribution sure is funny in a global economy.

SeanC

Being There is out today. That one snuck up on me, it's one of my favorites. That being said, probably going to wait for the BN sale to stock up.

Also did not realize Chunking Express is streaming on Filmstruck. Nice.

Unless they are improvements from the prior disc, like Scream's The Thing transfer ;)
Even the disgrace that is pink flares does not compare to say, Friedkin's treatment of French Connection and The Exorcist or Coppolla's constant fuckery with both Apocalypse Now and The Godfather.

Certain elements? Hey, that's okay. But fucking entire color code shifts for a film's entirety, usually to the detriment of black levels? Fugging BLECH

Even the disgrace that is pink flares does not compare to say, Friedkin's treatment of French Connection and The Exorcist or Coppolla's constant fuckery with both Apocalypse Now and The Godfather.

Certain elements? Hey, that's okay. But fucking entire color code shifts for a film's entirety, usually to the detriment of black levels? Fugging BLECH

Wait...what's wrong with Apocalypse Now?? Don't tell me the theatrical cut has been tampered with...I haven't watched my set yet

was on vacation so I couldn't dvr yesterday. Only regret was not ctching Badlands.

Yeah I was at work when Badlands was on so I couldn't nab that one either

berzeli

Banned
Revisionist colour timing is such a weird thing, sometimes it's doubly weird because what is considered "revisionist" is actually going back to it's original appearance (see Ran (I was so tempted to continue shitposting about Suspiria here)).

Is there any revisionist colour timing which is universally seen as an improvement? I think Platoon got redone for its blu-ray but I can't really find any great sources on if/how it got changed and how those changes were perceived.
Wait...what's wrong with Apocalypse Now?? Don't tell me the theatrical cut has been tampered with...I haven't watched my set yet
I don't think there is anything wrong per se but from an interview with the cinematographer Vittorio Storaro:
When Coppola edited Apocalypse Now originally, the experience was too large. It was an extraordinary experience, part of our lives. I stopped shooting for a a year after Apocalypse Now and started to research colour. When he decided the audience was ready for Apocalypse Now Redux, he called me to say: "Vittorio, we need to duplicate the original." I started my tests and I discovered that, after 27 years, the original material had faded. We could not duplicate it. I discovered an old method, the original technicolour dry-transfer system. I was able to read all the material in the original and put it in a system that will not fade. I asked him: "Francis, in the future which version will you want to show your grandchildren?"

I don't think there is anything wrong per se but from an interview with the cinematographer Vittorio Storaro:

Allow me to nerd out for a second because it's one of my favorite films ever, one of the reasons I'm a filmmaker, etc. I can only account for North American releases, but so far I've found-

For Redux, Coppola and Vittorio introduced their first coordinated color changes. Not shown originally but bolder, beautiful, and in line with a technique that Vittorio was straight up experimenting with in terms of primary color usage. (He had / has this idea to use only two or three colors at the most in each shot of AP, and assigned each segment of the journey an overall hue set.) It's beautiful- but different! Aimed at stark contrasts and bold color depths.

For the recent Coppola Restoration BLU, FFC has since believed with time's passage that these color changes were a bit much in some areas and too much experimentation on others. He admits on one of several commentary tracks that he respected Vittorio so much he wanted to retain his expression, cooperation, and artistry with their work on Redux, but of course as any director has his own suggestions. Various, not drastic, but totally noticeable changes were then applied to his version of the Restored Theatrical cut, creating now a third set of color timing previously unseen.... Like some of his Godfather yellow cuts, I don't like them, but others' clarity is too much to be ignored.

Anyways. Keep your DVDs, film people are shifty. :p We'll also never see that original theatrical ending edited back in either, which is a total fucking shame but whatever.

Ok wait...so first the DP did a new color process for Redux, then for the bluray they kept that color timing as is for Redux, and Coppola regarded the theatrical cut to something entirely different AND changed the ending??

What's the ending change?

And in the full disclosure edition I have, the theatrical and Redux are on the same disc and use branching I'm assuming, do they really both have different color?

I'm also a bit confused. Aren't all DVD and blus with the OAR just straight up ports of the colour timing from Redux?
To the best of my limited knowledge the 1999 release of the Theatrical cut- while mastered from previous elements- is the same as it ever was on home video until Redux's 2001 release which started this whole divergent business.

Theatrical
Redux
Post Redux Theatrical

:p

I think afternoon delight is talking about the credits?
Yes, I am. Never attached to home video prints but seen in its original run, I think seeing the compound get orbital'd really sends home the 'kill the messenger' aspects of his mission, Kurtz's point, etc. You wouldn't have seen this ending if you didn't watch the extras on DVDs and BLU releases.

is redux even worth watching
No. Only a few of the added scenes are worth watching and certainly only 110% disrupt the original's incredible pace.

Apocalypse Now: revisit a classic today!

apocalypse-now.jpg

Ridley327

Redux is an interesting experiment, but it should not be anyone's first exposure to that film. Flaws and all, Coppola got it right the first time around.

berzeli

Banned
To the best of my limited knowledge the 1999 release of the Theatrical cut- while mastered from previous elements- is the same as it ever was on home video until Redux's 2001 release which started this whole divergent business.

Theatrical
Redux
Post Redux Theatrical

:p
The home releases were in either 1.33:1 with heavy pan&scan, or 2:1 with pan&scan pre-Redux. So they're not ideal either.

Post Redux are all in the full 2.35:1.
Yes, I am. Never attached to home video prints but seen in its original run, I think seeing the compound get orbital'd really sends home the 'kill the messenger' aspects of his mission, Kurtz's point, etc. You wouldn't have seen this ending if you didn't watch the extras on DVDs and BLU releases.
Well technically its original run was the 70 mm print one and that one had no credits whatsoever.
The credits got added for the wider release of the 35mm print.

Since I don't particularly care for it I can't say that I'm sad that it isn't in there, and tbh I buy this reasoning by Francis Ford Coppola.

The home releases were in either 1.33:1 with heavy pan&scan, or 2:1 with pan&scan pre-Redux. So they're not ideal either. Post Redux are all in the full 2.35:1.

Since I don't particularly care for it I can't say that I'm sad that it isn't in there, and tbh I buy this reasoning by Francis Ford Coppola.
Great point about the aspect ratios and the BLU correction. I think way too many people miss the fact that it's going to be bombed (despite the radio fade out) and such a conclusion shouldn't be so vague.

Been trying to order that Terminator remaster from Amazon that Afternoon Delight was raving about, but they sent me the old shitty bluray from 2012. Ordered a replacement and it was the same shitty disc. Like what do I gotta do to get this movie dudes lol.

berzeli

Banned
Are Criterion actively trying to make their UK operation fail?

Apparently one of the titles for this month is Diabolique (Les Diaboliques). Which is already available via Arrow, with the same master and comparatively same amount of extras. They are also releasing Solaris which is also available in the UK with the same master (but from Artificial Eye). And Black Orpheus is available from Screenbound. And 12 Angry Men available from Fox. And Cul-de-sac, also from Screenbound.

Yes, in one or two instances it's a clear upgrade. But e.g. Les Diaboliques is available from 8.99£, and Criterion is asking for 17.99£, why would I pay twice the amount for no real upgrade?

It's just baffling.

Been trying to order that Terminator remaster from Amazon that Afternoon Delight was raving about, but they sent me the old shitty bluray from 2012. Ordered a replacement and it was the same shitty disc. Like what do I gotta do to get this movie dudes lol.

Damn, it's only available from third parties on Amazon it looks like. You might have luck checking out some stores nearby. The Remastered version has been repackaged a few times now, but I usually find them at various Walmarts and Best Buy's. Pretty much, anything from 2013 and on should be good.

Also, it looks fantastic. I do wish that the original audio was included though. I miss the way the guns used to sound. Everytime I watch it I anticipate certain sounds that never happen. Like in the police station massacre when Arnie cuts the power to the building, the sounds of bullets ricocheting off him are completely different.

Finally

Out May 9th.

New restoration overseen by Mann.

Includes the panel reunited DeNiro, Pacino and Mann. Moderated by Christopher Nolan.

Where'd you get this image from? Every other region has gotten the same white background De Niro/Pacino/Kilmer cover. This one is way better.

SeanC

Where'd you get this image from? Every other region has gotten the same white background De Niro/Pacino/Kilmer cover. This one is way better.

It appears Film School Rejects / One Perfect Shot aren't sourcing the image, so I don't know its origins. I don't think they would tweet out some fake box art but there's no source so I don't know.

berzeli

Banned
I think this was announced before but it got a cover now, and what a cover it got (releases in June):

4CkYGMa.jpg

• Uncompressed PCM soundtrack (on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • A new interview with Tony Rayns
  • An interview with actor Michel Piccoli
  • An interview with film scholar Victor Fuentes
  • Masters of Cinema exclusive trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp, and archival imagery

berzeli

Banned
So do any of you actually watch your movies or do they just sit on a shelf, silently mocking you for spending all that money ;_;

The discs are not meant to be watched dammit.
All they are good for is shitposting about the transfer based on caps from a third party. And whine about the covers.

Ran rp

So do any of you actually watch your movies or do they just sit on a shelf, silently mocking you for spending all that money ;_;

I was ready to rip the last two unopened Blu-rays I have and start watching again since it's been a while. I go to my shelf and see seven Blus and two boxsets (Dekalog and Before) waiting to be ripped :/

It takes me a millenia to get around to films I want to watch. Doesn't help that lately I've been depressed so my already-low motivation to do anything is almost in the negative.

Fjordson

I watch everything, but I don't rewatch stuff as much as I'd like. I have some great ones that have been sitting on the shelf for years after one or two viewings.

Top Bottom