• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Mael

StuBurns said:
I like it.

But they were wrong as far as we know. The additional shoulder buttons have me even more convinced this is not going to be integrated into the revision.

You know you won't lose your manhood if you admit you're wrong one in a while....

Or you could...you know point where they were wrong because really :
01Net said:
Un oubli lourd de conséquences
Cela peut paraître invraisemblable, mais les pontes de Nintendo ont fini par réaliser, après la production en masse et la sortie de la console, qu'ils avaient fait une omission de taille : le stick analogique droit. Initialement jugé superflu, il apparaît désormais indispensable pour offrir une expérience de jeu supérieure, tant et si bien que Nintendo travaille d'arrache-pied à un palliatif.
Selon notre source, ce grand oublié sortira bientôt sous la forme d'un périphérique supplémentaire, vendu à part aux alentours de 10 dollars. On ne sait pas encore précisément quelle forme il prendra, mais le système de fixation devra arrimer fermement ce nouvel appendice sur la partie droite de la portable. Et faudra-t-il l'enlever à chaque fois que l'on désire fermer la console ? Une chose est sûre : les ingénieurs de Nintendo ne comptent plus leurs nuits blanches en ce moment.

Nothing there is wrong.
And that's the part about the 3DS right analog dongle

StuBurns

Banned
Mael said:
You know you won't lose your manhood if you admit you're wrong one in a while....

Nothing there is wrong.
The rumour was a 3DS revision with a second stick was coming. I said I bet my dick it's not. Right now, we don't know they're correct.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong if and when I am.

dyergram said:
I think im buying the 'its just for that one game angle', cant help but think why the fuck would they not just put an extra stick on it in the first place.

Because they couldn't fit it in the case.

Nintendo-3DS-Disassembled.jpg

It's pretty damn cramped in there. Where a right stick/buttons would go is where the battery is now.

Edit: In other words, are you willing to sacrifice even more battery life for another slide pad?

inner-G said:
Someone needs to reverse the order of the frames on ItPrintsMoney.gif so that the DS sucks money back in.

Makes more sense anyway, considering how much of my money Nintendo's taking this Christmas.

Mael

StuBurns said:
The rumour was a 3DS revision with a second stick was coming. I said I bet my dick it's not. Right now, we don't know they're correct.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong if and when I am.

Actually they don't say that :
01Net said:
Ces informations corroborent par ailleurs certains propos, que nous ont laissé entendre différentes autres sources [MàJ : dont nous n'avons pas jusqu'ici pu vérifier la fiabilité]. A savoir que Nintendo travaillerait à un nouveau modèle de 3DS pour 2012. Une nouvelle console qui abandonnerait le positionnement 3D, ce qui impliquerait sans doute un nouveau design et probablement un nouveau nom. Dès lors, la baisse de prix de la 3DS actuelle viserait à écouler les stocks de 3DS première du nom…

Actually this means that the new dongle is inline with what they heard from other sources[Update : whose reliability they still couldn't check]. In short Nintendo would be working on a new 3DS and blablabla.

In short, their sources gave them the new dongle and from that they say that it is inline with current rumours.
They never say that the rumours are true or anything unlike the 3DS dongle.

Hand over your appendix, 01Net was right.

Vamphuntr

StuBurns said:
I like it.

But they were wrong as far as we know. The additional shoulder buttons have me even more convinced this is not going to be integrated into the revision.

Why? It's not like using the extra shoulder button would be mandatory or bring much possibilities. On the other hand, many 3D games would benefit from a second stick. MGS 3 for instance would control much better with a second stick for the camera. Same for Resident Evil Revelations.

It's an add on made by Nintendo so I would expect it to be usable on more than one game (lol Wiispeak). It could be a Wii Motion + situation where they integrated the technology directly in the wiimote later on.

goldenpp72

People seem to forget this has happened before, sony adding a dual shock or sega adding the 6 button pad, games worked without them, they just worked better when customized to use it. I'm sure this will be the same instance, but if a redesign occurs soon and is a big success, devs will use those features.

goldenpp72 said:
People seem to forget this has happened before, sony adding a dual shock or sega adding the 6 button pad, games worked without them, they just worked better when customized to use it. I'm sure this will be the same instance, but if a redesign occurs soon and is a big success, devs will use those features.

That's not the problem. Most people are upset at how bulky it makes the 3DS. The controllers had no effect on what the system looked like, plus it really didn't matter since it was a home console. The 3DS, on the other hand, is a handheld, so who wants to be forced to use a huge add-on just to play games? If it isn't required on any game, then it's fine honestly.

Interfectum

goldenpp72 said:

I think the biggest problem is how fast it's happening and how hilariously clunky the entire thing looks coupled with the already botched over-priced launch with barely any good games. Nintendo has fumbled with the 3DS since it has come out.

goldenpp72

StickSoldier said:
That's not the problem. Most people are upset at how bulky it makes the 3DS. The controllers had no effect on what the system looked like, plus it really didn't matter since it was a home console. The 3DS, on the other hand, is a handheld, so who wants to be forced to use a huge add-on just to play games? If it isn't required on any game, then it's fine honestly.

I fully understand that complaint, it's the people saying there is no way developers will use it or something, far from the truth, this is just another case of people being foolish in buying yet another crappy first gen nintendo handheld.

Maybe opinion but i'd consider every first gen nintendo handheld to be a turd next to the second versions they do.

Replicant

I didn't think this was real so I kept passing the thread. Then I looked at the picture and still can't believe it was real. It's so fugly and non-functional. Who actually thought this is a good idea? How am I going to press those buttons with the right stick on the way? Oh well, not my business but my brother is going to be livid. He bought the handheld day one when it's available here.

I can understand the meltdown that is happening here right now. This just looks ridiculous all around. And who'd implement the game to use this? It requires a leap of faith that the customers will buy the peripheral.

AngryMoth

I think if they were planning on adding a 2nd stick for the revision they wouldn't have made the add on so horrendously ugly. Its probably just intended for monster hunter and they don't plan on making a big deal out of it. I just can't believe that they make it looks so bad if they were going to push 2 sticks as the future for 3DS

theBishop

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
:lol

An XL 3DS would be pretty neat, using the DSiXL as a base, it would make the top screen 4.9 inches!
8lHnu.jpg

And the right analog would still be small just to annoy people.

That mockup might be the best possible outcome. Bonus points if they make the right-stick look like this:

gamecube_analog_cap_yellow_right.jpg

Veal

Graphics Horse said:

An XL 3DS would be pretty neat, using the DSiXL as a base, it would make the top screen 4.9 inches!
8lHnu.jpg

that's hot

Magnus

As an 'ambassador', I didn't honestly feel any regret over my purchase until the last couple of days. The ambassador program and price drop didn't get to me at all, but this does. Oh well.

Graphics Horse said:

8lHnu.jpg

You'd also be able to fit a battery the size of a whole DSlite in there.

Absolutely :)

Not too sure about the right slide pad's positioning, but it looks pretty sexy otherwise.

Yeah, so i'm a bit late on this but... wtf!?

The problem is not so much that it's a dongle attachment, it's that it transforms the device into some sort of Atari Lynx creature. It really should not be so bulky - the Vita size is already something that leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it isn't that much bigger than a PSP, but this is massive in comparison. Perhaps Nintendo should have left out all the shoulder buttons and the battery/wifi stuff if it's in there, as I would have been happy to have just the original mockups of a clip-on pad, or hell, even some sort of touch pad to cut down on the mechanics of it.

That 3DS XL looks hot, i'd buy that instead.

markot

Banned
They need to improve the 3d whatever they do, its too limiting, you cant move at all really, and the shadowing....

Hopefully the 3d screen tech has improved enough and become cost effective enough for them to be able to improve it.

markot said:
They need to improve the 3d whatever they do, its too limiting, you cant move at all really, and the shadowing....

Hopefully the 3d screen tech has improved enough and become cost effective enough for them to be able to improve it.

There's not a whole lot they can do, though, with the 3D sweet spot.

watershed

Banned
The mock up looks sweet but the tiny right slider might present issues for some people or some games. Love the size of the screens, the top screen in particular would be amazing to have.

markot

Banned
AceBandage said:
There's not a whole lot they can do, though, with the 3D sweet spot.
I heard that the new tech 'blends' the screens together so its not too jarring when the angles change >.< But it might be too expensive...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Graphics Horse said:

8lHnu.jpg

You'd also be able to fit a battery the size of a whole DSlite in there.

Absolutely :)
I'd sell my 3DS in a heart beat and get that.

The great thing about a potential 3DS XL is that it can scale up the native resolution of DS games to twice the size. That's the one of my biggest upsets about the 3DS; 1:1 BC is sharp but too tiny, stretched BC is icky and blurry compared to the DS.

BurntPork

Banned
Mael said:

Nothing there is wrong.
You just pointed out something wrong about it. That ain't no dongle, you can close the system when it's in use, and no way will that be only $10.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Prediction for next week :

They're going to unveil a NEW DS, not a new 3DS per se..... a NEW DS.

It's going to be called DSXL++ or something similar. It'll have the DS XL form factor, but with the 3DS controls + a second analogue stick and the ability to play 3DS games but only in 2D. It will have Wifi built in. "Large" internal storage (16gig). Promise to ramp up GBA/GB/NES/SNES game downloads - they'll show off an initial library of about 25 games per system coming by the end of the year.

"Ultimate Nintendo family machine - spanning years of gaming in the palm of your hand" etc.

$250

DCharlie said:

It's going to be called DSXL++ or something similar. It'll have the DS XL form factor, but with the 3DS controls + a second analogue stick and the ability to play 3DS games but only in 2D. It will have Wifi built in. "Large" internal storage (16gig). Promise to ramp up GBA/GB/NES/SNES game downloads - they'll show off an initial library of about 25 games per system coming by the end of the year.

"Ultimate Nintendo family machine - spanning years of gaming in the palm of your hand" etc.

$250

Yeah... that really makes no sense at all. They didn't have the time to make that in the last couple of months, let alone do R&D on it, and why would they make it 2D only?

qq more

DCharlie said:

$250
Are you actually serious? I have a hard time telling apart from joke and serious posts sometimes since there's people who genuinely believes it's a good idea.

DCharlie

Are you actually serious? I have a hard time telling apart from joke and serious posts sometimes since there's people who genuinely believes it's a good idea.

i am deadly serious yes - and i never said that i thought it was a good idea!!!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
See, I had hoped your post DCharlie was just the joke of releasing what some have been asking for in a revision to "improve" the 3DS with the added "but it's just be a DS then". Shame.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DCharlie said:

$250
This sounds crazy stupid.

Which means it's totally going to happen.

DCharlie

3DS isn't going anywhere.

it wouldn't with a revision that has no 3d either. 3D hasn't really set the world alight, a non-3D version doesn't hurt Nintendo either.

the 3D machine can still play non-3D games and, as seen with games like DOA, they look and perform amazing in 2D only.

Nintendo get to say "well, you can support 3D if you want, but now you don't have to" , release a revised model with new control method and make some extra "modern" tweaks along the way.

It also resolves the issue with marketting - you can't show the 3D effect easily but you can easily show the improvement in performance of a 2D only machine with the 3DS's internals.

This sounds crazy stupid.

Which means it's totally going to happen.

yup - like i say - i don't think this is what they should do, neither do i think this is how they should get out of things, but it's exactly the sort of thing that this last few weeks of madness might just end with.

Maybe this is why foreigners aren't invited to the show on tuesday? if people are going to throw shoes, you want petite Japanese sized boots, not the US / Euro size 14+

This is what will happen in the conference, they will announce a new game or two, explain the add on, and then talk about their fall/winter lineup that we already know of.

qq more

-Pyromaniac- said:
This is what will happen in the conference, they will announce a new game or two, explain the add on, and then talk about their fall/winter lineup that we already know of.
The most realistic prediction so far in this thread.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DCharlie said:

$250
Well that's a bold prediction, but let's examine it nonetheless:
- 3D is downplayed.
- Two sliders.
- A total rebrand.

Our 01Net overlords approve.

Top Bottom