• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo Punk

^^^ That scene was b-e-a-utiful.

Please Please! make a She-Hulk film and include her in Avengers 2. If there is one marvel character I like after Wolverine(Xmen) it is She Hulk. I am hoping Joss Whedon is lurking here.

Maximus.

Saw it this afternoon.

It was very good. The script worked. The banter and dynamics worked. The action was great.

But in the end I subjectively didn't like it. I mean, I get summer popcorn blockbusters, but I just felt nothing after watching it. It felt like a waste of time to me - the same kind of feeling that I get after playing video games for 2 hours sometimes. I guess I'm growing old.

I also wondered if this movie needed to exist. It seems like this story would've been fun in a comic book or a cartoon - did we really to translate it to the big screen with humans? I'm not sure.

By the way, the costumes, monsters, and especially the Leviathans all looked like they belong in Kamen Rider.

Wow this post is like the perfect example of a pompous-over the top-expects lifes answers to be presented to them in film. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but really? You didnt think this movie needed to exist? This movie was a PERFECT example of a comic book movie. If you didnt think this type of movie needs to exist, why watch it, or any super hero movie, or even anything with any sort of extra ordinary characters. You claim that this is worse than the norm summer blockbuster? How in hell is this worse than most of the shit pumped out???? I cant even put my thoughts into words nicely because of how ridiculous I think your post is.

Luthos

hulk_smash_loki.gif

Surprised at the quality of this. Sorry if posted already...

Yup, definitely the best part of the movie.

GG-Duo

Wow this post is like the perfect example of a pompous-over the top-expects lifes answers to be presented to them in film. You are more than welcome to your opinion, but really? You didnt think this movie needed to exist? This movie was a PERFECT example of a comic book movie. If you didnt think this type of movie needs to exist, why watch it, or any super hero movie, or even anything with any sort of extra ordinary characters. You claim that this is worse than the norm summer blockbuster? How in hell is this worse than most of the shit pumped out???? I cant even put my thoughts into words nicely because of how ridiculous I think your post is.

Hey, calm down. I didn't say that. Yeesh.

It was good, I didn't love it. Life goes on.

My point was that the characters and the story may be better in comic/cartoon form than with humans. *shrug* I don't think that's such a novel opinion -- there's appropriate mediums for everything.

Maximus.

Hey, calm down. I didn't say that. Yeesh.

It was good, I didn't love it. Life goes on.

My point was that the characters and the story may be better in comic/cartoon form than with humans. *shrug* I don't think that's such a novel opinion -- there's appropriate mediums for everything.

I do admit that the highlighted area was incorrect and apologize for that sentence. To clarify, I feel that this movie did a MUCH greater job than the normal summer blockbuster at creating a solid team and giving each character a distinct personality and allowing everyone their own moment to shine. If anything, this movie was a great example of how to translate a comic into a movie. Watchmen is an example of a comic that did not work well as a movie(maybe due to the direct translation from page to screen).

Fry

This would be a great ban gif.

Have it say "BANNED" at first, and then when he pauses to look at Loki, make it "PERMABANNED" for the next two slams.

Great gif no matter what though.

I think that would look better in this gif:

ibgvOIBIMN3UFx.gif

He even says 'banned' in the end. :p

I absolutely hated Transformers 2.

Say wha???

You didn't like Devastator balls? Or shia dying and being brought back to life by the primes from the robot afterlife? Or the twins?

I loved it for the comedy factor alone, some of that shit was beyond hilarious.

Say wha???

You didn't like Devastator balls? Or shia dying and being brought back to life by the primes from the robot afterlife? Or the twins?

Robot Heaven was awesome. It made no sense, and literally did nothing to advance the plot, but fuck, it gave me a glimpse into the rich mythology of the transformer universe. Bay is a genius.

Dilly

Banned
Say wha???

It was stupid beyond the point of being "funny because it's stupid".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Watched it tonight. Loved it. Not a life changing experience.. but top tier popcorn movie, no doubt.

Then my girl and I watched The Incredible Hulk afterward, it being the last of the recent Marvel movieverse flicks that we have not seen.

This is us ---> :/

Not a bad movie. But not good either. Utterly forgettable. In retrospect it's perfectly fine that they went with a new actor + take on Banner/Hulk in Avengers.

Log4Girlz

With all the complaints lately of high ticket prices, its always our highest price tickets which sell out. IMAX, D-Box (we are consistenly #1 nationwide for D-Box sales) always sells out way ahead of showtime.

With all the complaints lately of high ticket prices, its always our highest price tickets which sell out. IMAX, D-Box (we are consistenly #1 nationwide for D-Box sales) always sells out way ahead of showtime.

People like dumb shit. That is directed at 3D and D-Box, not the movie itself.

BocoDragon

People like dumb shit. That is directed at 3D and D-Box, not the movie itself.

Watching Avengers tonight was my first 3D movie in theaters... which is kinda ironic because I have a 3DS and a 3D TV.

Whaddya know.... headaches for half the film. The haters were right :p

I like the effect... I just wish it didn't do that to me. I think the problem is that with 3D movies, you are seeing cuts between frames, and your eyes/brain are forced to re-adjust focus all the time. That doesn't happen in the 3D of everyday life.... or even 3D games so much.

Watching Avengers tonight was my first 3D movie in theaters... which is kinda ironic because I have a 3DS and a 3D TV.

Whaddya know.... headaches for half the film. The haters were right :p

I like the effect... I just wish it didn't do that to me. I think the problem is that with 3D movies, you are seeing cuts between frames, and you are forced to adjust focus all the time. That doesn't happen in the 3D of everyday life.... or even 3D games so much.

Honestly, other than like two spots in the movie, I could not tell this was a 3D movie. Shit was lazy Post conversion(is there any other kind?). The Spiderman trailer had better 3D than what was in Avengers. It sucked that to see it in IMAX i had to see it in 3D...I fucking hate this fad and I wish eternal hell on Cameron for making it popular. Such a stupid thing.

Tabris

Saw it. Great popcorn flick with witty dialogue. Not even close to being on the level of Dark Knight though but no "superhero" movie touches that.... or Tim Burton's Batman (which is better than Batman Begins but doesn't touch Dark Knight)

EDIT - I also saw it in 3D due to the times available at the theatre. I'm tired of 3D, it's good for gimmick movies where the intention is to watch 3D, but the "darkened view" and eye strain just isn't worth the occasional cool 3D scenes.

honestly with these shitty 3D movies i've kinda gotten used to it so i don't even get headaches anymore, only sore eyes and shitty contrast, that's all... oh i almost forgot i have to shell out more cash yay!

shame this movie was not available in 2D here, so we're being force fed this crap :(

Saw it. Great popcorn flick with witty dialogue. Not even close to being on the level of Dark Knight though but no "superhero" movie touches that.... or Tim Burton's Batman (which is better than Batman Begins but doesn't touch Dark Knight)

You...you just started another 10 pages of shit. Whether or not I agree with you, you are about to get flamed to hell and back.

BocoDragon

Honestly, other than like two spots in the movie, I could not tell this was a 3D movie. Shit was lazy Post conversion(is there any other kind?). The Spiderman trailer had better 3D than what was in Avengers. It sucked that to see it in IMAX i had to see it in 3D...I fucking hate this fad and I wish eternal hell on Cameron for making it popular. Such a stupid thing.

I really like the idea of 3D so I'm not quite in the same boat as you.... but if it consistently gives me headaches as it did tonight, then it's all a moot point.

I did like the feeling of Spidey swinging through the air in 3D.

Tabris

You...you just started another 10 pages of shit. Whether or not I agree with you, you are about to get flamed to hell and back.

Yeah, I can see that. I probably alienated all the Marvel fans but even worse, all the Nolan fans by saying Tim Burton's Batman is better than Batman Begins. It's true though (well that it's my opinion but it's a good opinion)

Yeah, I can see that. I probably alienated all the Marvel fans but even worse, all the Nolan fans by saying Tim Burton's Batman is better than Batman Begins. It's true though (well that it's my opinion but it's a good opinion)

Tim Burton only made one above average batman film, and it isnt the 1989 film. Burton has gone on record saying he has never read a comic book in his life, so, yeah, not exactly hard to see why those two films werent stellar.

Log4Girlz

This would be a great ban gif.

Have it say "BANNED" at first, and then when he pauses to look at Loki, make it "PERMABANNED" for the next two slams.

Great gif no matter what though.

I'll work on it eventually, in the mean time check out my amateurish attempt at another scene.

imBIW.gif

I didn't know that piracy was endorsed on GAF in order to make Gifs. Good to know.

Not really. There's no indication anyone here has downloaded the movie to make gifs. If they had, I suspect we'd see a lot more gifs as there are a number of pretty great moments that deserve to be immortalized in gif form.

I suspect the majority of gifs posted have come from tumblr, GFAQ, IGN, etc.

FStop7

Banned
This movie was amazing. It took me back to my childhood. It took me back to my favorite issues of The Avengers, X-Men, and Marvel Team Up from the late 80s in which there were massive battles fought in NYC. It felt.. good to see that kind of battle successfully realized in a movie. Very little shaky cam. Very little in the way of awkward animation. Some of cap's moves looked a little reminiscent of the janky Legolas CGI, but pretty much everything else looked great. Some of the textures were jaw dropping. Those translucent alien hands.

And more than anything else, Tom Hiddleston just killed it.

Will definitely be seeing this again. Though next time I want to see it in 2D. The 3D gave me a headache toward the end. It looked post converted to me, though some sequences were obviously shot with 3D in mind.

Tom_Cody

Is there -any- reason to see this in 3D?

I'm going to go for the second time today and kind of I want to check out the trailers for Prometheus and The Amazing Spider-man in 3D. I can kind of justify the upcharge in order to check out those trailers (and get a sense if I want to see those in 3D when they are released), but I don't want to ruin the experience of the Avengers.

Tizoc

Getting a pirated, shitty cam quality is not worth it for a great movie like this.
...and I'm sure GAFfers agree with me on this ;D

BigDes

Is there -any- reason to see this in 3D?

I'm going to go for the second time today and kind of I want to check out the trailers for Prometheus and The Amazing Spider-man in 3D. I can kind of justify the upcharge in order to check out those trailers (and get a sense if I want to see those in 3D when they are released), but I don't want to ruin the experience of the Avengers.

I thought the 3d was terrible

Far too dark and it made the action sequences incredidbly hard to see

msv

honestly with these shitty 3D movies i've kinda gotten used to it so i don't even get headaches anymore, only sore eyes and shitty contrast, that's all... oh i almost forgot i have to shell out more cash yay!

shame this movie was not available in 2D here, so we're being force fed this crap :(
I'm in the exact same scenario :( No 2D showings anywhere. I just can't believe they did that. For a movie with post production 3D, why would you ever do that? Maybe limited 2D showings if you really want people to go to 3D, but 3D only, in the entire country?! Holy crap.

Some scenes were just straight up ruined by 3D, like the one looking out over NY, Iron Man comes in the screen, shuts down his repulsors for a split sec to get in position and then fires em, flying towards the city. In the trailers, it looked awesome, in 3D it was a blur.

I liked the 3D, and I'm not generally a person who likes 3D. I mean, I'd be just as happy to see it in 2D but the 3D was fine.
Watched it tonight. Loved it. Not a life changing experience.. but top tier popcorn movie, no doubt.

Then my girl and I watched The Incredible Hulk afterward, it being the last of the recent Marvel movieverse flicks that we have not seen.

This is us ---> :/

Not a bad movie. But not good either. Utterly forgettable. In retrospect it's perfectly fine that they went with a new actor + take on Banner/Hulk in Avengers.

I did the same thing, and felt kinda the same way. Compared to Ruffalo, Norton's Banner had very little personality. The movie just felt like a lot of running and explosions...

Seth C

I'm in the exact same scenario :( No 2D showings anywhere. I just can't believe they did that. For a movie with post production 3D, why would you ever do that? Maybe limited 2D showings if you really want people to go to 3D, but 3D only, in the entire country?! Holy crap.

Are you not in the US? It definitely is not only 3D in this entire country. I saw it in 2D in Chicago and several theaters in Lexington, KY have it in 2D also.

Awesome movie. Here are a few disorganized thoughts I had:

I'm not a Whedon fan. Typically, I think his dialog is self aware and tries way too hard. I don't know if it was the higher caliber of actors or that he's honed his skill, but I actually enjoyed it in this film. It was a good mix of (comic book) drama and aloofness, neither direction overdone.

The imagery was great, especially the hulk, as everyone has already said. S.H.I.E.L.D., Stark Tower, New York - everything was cool to look at.

One drawback is that I never felt tension during the action sequences. I know the characters are not going to die, but I'm more talking about the way it was filmed/drawn: every jump was too perfect, every punch too easy, many of the hits were too lightweight.

Basically I don't remember the protagonists struggling. I know they did, but it wasn't memorable and I didn't really feel their pain. As a result, I was less emotionally invested and was just enjoying the visuals most of the time.

Also, RDJ is fun to watch. I really like him as an actor but I hope he takes some different and more difficult roles soon. He's created a "RDJ" character and if he keeps playing him, he'll get into self-parody territory like Johnny Depp has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom