• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Relics Of Humanity just annnounced that AJ Magana (Disgorge, Defeated Sanity) is their new vocalist

Fuckin hell their new album is gonna level everything

22382113_1576526552406585_6380721356087129278_o.jpg

For the uninitiated

Quikies83

Yep good stuff.

This sucked me in after 10 seconds. Love it.

Listening to this now and its great. Prob the best of the bunch for me.

I didn't pay that much attention to Scorn, but I'm really digging this one. I should go back to their first one while I'm at it.

Never heard of them but looked them up on MA and listened to both albums today, really love it (fan of doom myself, that and black metal are my two main genres). Thanks for mentioning.

Glad you all enjoy. Really can't wait to see these guys live with Bell Witch in a few weeks!

SOME-MIST

I was in this metal funk where I've been listening to the same shit as always and not trying anything new. Ended up coming across Artificial Brain on YouTube related videos list...Holy shit they're amazing. Been listening to both of their albums on repeat. Any recommendations for similar bands?
How about pyyrhon and coma cluster void?

Pyrrhon - what passes for survival

Coma Cluster Void - Mind Cemeteries

There's actually an insane show in New York that I wanted to go to soon with pyyrhon, yatuja, krallice, and I think yowie. None of them really sound like each other but holy shot what a lineup.

Arkaik's new album just released too

Nachtmaer

Glad you all enjoy. Really can't wait to see these guys live with Bell Witch in a few weeks!

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I've been listening to Caustic pretty much non-stop and this thing fucking slays. I'm still kicking myself for not being able to go see them with Bongripper back in June.

Guru-Guru

Banned
How about pyyrhon and coma cluster void?

Pyrrhon - what passes for survival

Coma Cluster Void - Mind Cemeteries

There's actually an insane show in New York that I wanted to go to soon with pyyrhon, yatuja, krallice, and I think yowie. None of them really sound like each other but holy shot what a lineup.

Arkaik's new album just released too
Sweet, I'll check out these bands too.

Speaking of which, fortunes have it that just as I get into Artificial Brain they are going to be doing a concert in Vancouver. Anybody seen them live before? Just $25 for tickets.

This is great, never thought of that. Thanks for sharing!

Adding some more on that list, a band called Daedric tales. It's like a perfect mix of power metal and TES lore.
I'm usually not super big on power metal but what the fuck this is so good, i guess it's because of the context. They got an entire album based on the events in Morrowind.

The chorus on Planes of Oblivion is masterful
https://daedrictales.bandcamp.com/album/the-divine-menace-2

This entire album is some really great stuff, anyone who likes power metal (or dont) should check this, like jesus.

Iunno its probably generic as fuck or something for longtime listeners but im hooked.

Should note that i found these bands from a reddit post a friend linked me from the TES reddit, there's probably a bunch more.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Melt Banana tomorrow, almost 10 years since I saw them! Can't wait to experience their lite setup live.

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice tonight, waiting for the openers to play. Saw BI earlier this year but I was a bit drunk so don't remember much, won't be making that mistake again.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice tonight, waiting for the openers to play. Saw BI earlier this year but I was a bit drunk so don't remember much, won't be making that mistake again.
That's a great show. I really dig that Spectral Voice LP.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck Melt-Banana still is insane, even with just Yako and Agata. Dude is just a damn wizard on guitar (but he's getting old, totally has a Japanese geezer thing going on underneath his mask) AND IT WAS SO FUCKING LOUD
I mean it has more of an art project vibe than before what with Yako and her MIDI controller, but still, what a party.

Holy fuck Melt-Banana still is insane, even with just Yako and Agata. Dude is just a damn wizard on guitar (but he's getting old, totally has a Japanese geezer thing going on underneath his mask) AND IT WAS SO FUCKING LOUD
I mean it has more of an art project vibe than before what with Yako and her MIDI controller, but still, what a party.
Consistently one of the best live bands around.

robinsxe

New August Burns Red album "Phantom Anthem" is a certified banger, especially recommend the last 3 tracks of the album. What a great fucking band.

blahness

The new Bell Witch album is a fucking masterpiece. EPIC. So many feels with the use of Adrians unused vocal tracks from Four Phantoms and Erik Moggridge of Aerial Ruin being featured again so prominently again on the last half. My AOTY by a mile.

Quikies83

The new Bell Witch album is a fucking masterpiece. EPIC. So many feels with the use of Adrians unused vocal tracks from Four Phantoms and Erik Moggridge of Aerial Ruin being featured again so prominently again on the last half. My AOTY by a mile.

How did you get a listen???

Scottify

New August Burns Red album "Phantom Anthem" is a certified banger, especially recommend the last 3 tracks of the album. What a great fucking band.

I second this. I had a listen yesterday, it showed up on my recommended new releases. I had never listened to them before but this album really put its hooks into me.

New Samael album dropped today. Gave it a listen on Spotify and enjoyed it well enough, but I kind of expected more based on the songs released ahead of time. It kind of all runs together by the end.

Quikies83

About to hit the road for Between the Buried and Me in New Orleans. Can't believe it has been 10 years since I last saw them during the original Colors tour.
And I'm extremely excited to see The Contortionist for the second time this year.
Hoping for a great crowd tonight and some good merch :)

WHITE WALLS!!

Gray Matter

About to hit the road for Between the Buried and Me in New Orleans. Can't believe it has been 10 years since I last saw them during the original Colors tour.
And I'm extremely excited to see The Contortionist for the second time this year.
Hoping for a great crowd tonight and some good merch :)

WHITE WALLS!!

10 years since you last saw them? Wow I bet they’re just as good, if not better.

DemWalls

1) At the Heart of Winter
2) Sons of Northern Darkness
3) All Shall Fall
4) Battles in the North
5) Damned in Black
6) Blizzard Beasts
7) Pure Holocaust
8) Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

Spwn

Enslaved - E is even better than I expected. The vocals on Feathers of Eolh are so great.

Definitely digging this album. I've had tons of respect for Enslaved for years, but aside from RIITIIR their music hasn't stuck despite the fact that I've liked it. E sounds like something I can see myself listening to again and again. It sounds like a mix of the golden era of Opeth and Solstafir. Also there's a sick saxophone solo. Definitely in the top 5 of 2017 releases.

Another interesting BM (if E can be classified as black metal) release this year is definitely Chaos Moon's Eschaton Mémoire. Lot's of shoegaze influence can be heard there too.

Chaos Moon - The Pillar, The Fall, and The Key I

Quikies83

10 years since you last saw them? Wow I bet they're just as good, if not better.

Yup. I honestly don't care for any of their work past Colors - so I really made no effort to go see them (my fav album of theirs is their self-titled, btw). They killed this set. Dusty is the most underrated rhythm guitarist... dude was just a machine.
Fantastic crowd too.
Glad I got to catch this one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7ogCIeIYqXSEcJj1

And I continue to love The Contortionist.

choodi

Banned
New Samael album dropped today. Gave it a listen on Spotify and enjoyed it well enough, but I kind of expected more based on the songs released ahead of time. It kind of all runs together by the end.

Not on Google Music yet. Fuck.

Edit: yes it is, but for some stupid reason it is listed separately to the rest of their stuff.

Pillorian and Wolves in the Throne Room were good last night, though the volume was honestly too high for the latter.
Guess I'm getting old.

Gray Matter

Yup. I honestly don't care for any of their work past Colors - so I really made no effort to go see them (my fav album of theirs is their self-titled, btw). They killed this set. Dusty is the most underrated rhythm guitarist... dude was just a machine.
Fantastic crowd too.
Glad I got to catch this one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7ogCIeIYqXSEcJj1

And I continue to love The Contortionist.

Huh, wonder why you don’t listen to post-colors BTBAM?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the new Bell Witch might well be my AotY, that or Celeste (with Converge still coming up). Holy fuck from like the last third of the first track onwards this shit is divine. Second track legit made me... sad.

Quikies83

Huh, wonder why you don’t listen to post-colors BTBAM?
Not my style anymore. I like progressive rock/metal but it seemed they were just trying to push prog to the extreme and I fell off. Also, Tommy's vocals have just gotten worse with each album - he has really gotten hard to listen to, IMO.
I also just fell hard into the sludge, doom scene a few years back, so BTBAM fell off the earth to me.
Sucks because they were my favorite band through 2007.

And I agree with the above user - the new Bell Witch release may be AOTY

Any newer bands keeping up with that 2000's prog metal sound at all?

I've been binging on some classics lately and am looking for something fresh.

Anything that sounds similar to...

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
Isis - Wavering Radiant
Mastodon - Crack the Skye

I know these are all classics, just wondering who's carrying the torch for this particular sound in 2017. Ty metalgaf.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Isis - Wavering Radiant

I know these are all classics, just wondering who's carrying the torch for this particular sound in 2017. Ty metalgaf.
Elder

RDreamer

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Isis - Wavering Radiant

Plenty: Ne Obliviscaris, Black Crown Initiate, The Ocean, Leprous, Flight of Sleipnir, Elder, Persefone, Anciients, Dvne, Cult of Luna, Ihsahn, Mouth of the Architect, Between the Buried and Me, Intronaut, etc

Yes, Elder rules. I love this album. Same goes for the new Pallbearer.

Plenty: Ne Obliviscaris, Black Crown Initiate, The Ocean, Leprous, Flight of Sleipnir, Elder, Persefone, Anciients, Dvne, Cult of Luna, Ihsahn, Mouth of the Architect, Between the Buried and Me, Intronaut, etc

Thank you! I'm only familiar with a few of these. Will definitely look into the rest asap. Keep the suggestions coming, please! =)

"2000's"
"classics"

...Yes?

And Crack the Skye isn't even a decade old, FFS

Does 'modern classics' tickle your fancy more? All the albums I mentioned are well known, critically beloved, and are considered to be the pinnacle of each band by many fans. There's no reason to split hairs here.

Top Bottom