• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread |OT2|

enkaisu

Banned
All the immense negativity for this game is making me feel crazy for still being excited to play it tonight. I've loved all of BioWare's games since the first Mass Effect, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy Andromeda despite the flaws.

Renekton

I will try for a bit then wait for 2 more patches.

Based the reviews I read, there are a lot of bugs which took off probably 5+ points from the scores.

Big Nikus

https://apexhq.masseffectarchives.com/en/

Still not available for me over here in Belgium though.

You're from Belgium ?
I'd be curious to know the location of other regular posters in this thread ! (France here)

Slightly off-topic, but I was particularly invested in my work these past few months, it put my health in jeopardy and I was really late for some stuff I had to turn in. I apologized to my boss, and his answer was basically : "you've done a better job than I expected, here's a 75 euros bonus for Andromeda, you've earned it and thanks for everything".
I did not expect that. I should make a thread in OT : "Have your boss already moved you to tears ?". Should go well.

JeffG

All the immense negativity for this game is making me feel crazy for still being excited to play it tonight. I've loved all of BioWare's games since the first Mass Effect, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy Andromeda despite the flaws.

Having played 10 hrs (and wanting more). I think it is safe to say that if you are a Mass Effect fan, the worst you will say about this game is that it is "Ok". It may stop you from playing multiple times, but you will get your moneys worth. Best case scenario...you will love it.

It may not be the game to win over disgruntled fans or brand new fans though.

You're from Belgium ?
I'd be curious to know the location of other regular posters in this thread ! (France here)

Slightly off-topic, but I was particularly invested in my work these past few months, it put my health in jeopardy and I was really late for some stuff I had to turn in. I apologized to my boss, and his answer was basically : "you've done a better job than I expected, here's a 75 euros bonus for Andromeda, you've earned it and thanks for everything".
I did not expect that. I should make a thread in OT : "Have your boss already moved you to tears ?". Should go well.
Your boss sounds like a cool guy :)

Also, Pakistan here!

Dany

Banned
The reviews are disappointing but not unexpected from what we've seen from the pre release footage. Whatever lofty expectations people had on the game has been getting incrementally lower, perhaps rightfully, the closer we got to release.

Just got done wrapping up the ME3 5 years later video from Raycevick, and man. As much as I wanted it ASAP, I wonder what could have been if they'd had ideal conditions, and another year to stew and let it all come together a little better. I loved the first 95% of the game, but that video made me open up to a lot of the flaws I glossed over the first time.

Finally had the time last night to sit down and dig through all the SP stuff in the trial, and I'm waiting for the Apex HQ stuff to go live in the US, because I sideloaded the app, but other than sending people on missions, everything that needs to go hit the servers makes the app crash for me. I'm looking forward to having a bunch more boxes and whatnot when I get into the game for real tomorrow.

I love that Origin is fine with VPNing to unlock the game early. Just gotta download the pre-order/deluxe goodies and then I'm in :)

Kindred spirits, kyudai!

Also I've always meant to ask. Is the Son of Sparda supposed to be Dante or Vergil (or both)?
LJqNFABw4.gif

And my username is definitely for Vergil :)

Ridesh

Banned
Related but unrelated, how do you guys think that DA4 will be?

I have the idea that it's going to be like The Witcher 3 Velen, just one open world, not too massive but really varied, with one big city like Novigrad, Minrathous.

DA2 done right, if you want to call it that.

You're from Belgium ?

Belgium baby!

That's a great story, too.

I have the idea that it's going to be like The Witcher 3 Velen, just one open world, not too massive but really varied, with one big city like Novigrad, Minrathous.

Doesn't sound like they're doing a DA4? Based on that link above, sounds like Edmonton is doing a MP Destiny-like game. I did ask Mike Laidlaw awhile back if he was working on Bioware's new Ip and I think he said no so I guess it's a possibility the Edmonton DA team is not working on that. Hard to believe to be honest because it's probably going to take all their teams/studios to do a game like that in an effort to compete against Destiny. I know Patrick Weekes is now the lead writer on the DA universe. Good choice as he's probably the best writer at Bioware anyway seeing as David Gaider left.

Hopefully Montreal is never allowed to do another Bioware game again. That's all I care about. If I was them I'd do a single project at a time and just allow all my studios to satellite help build them up while their A team leads production. A B team with rookies just kills your image as it seems to be doing here. They didn't seem to learn their lesson with DAI when they made ME:A so I don't know if DA4 would be like that. Honestly, Bioware use to be pioneers in RPGs now it seems everyone is passing them up. They're no longer the innovators but rather look at what everyone else does better than them then try to catch up...

Bioware's open-world games are like Ubisoft. They just fill these big ass worlds with meaningless content just for the sake of trying to keep the player playing just because. They need to take lesson from other games. Bigger is not better if it's not quality. Hell, Horizon has tons of flaws but because the world is smaller and doesn't have like 50 cauldron quests you don't really recognize the flaws as much. A Destiny game seems right up their alley because they're obsessed with the SP MMO formula now. It's okay to make a smaller more contained open-world that's not overwhelming and has less content that's considered more meaningful.

emag

Hopefully a more focused game set in the Red Wizards of Thay Tevinter Imperium and dealing with the fallout from Trespasser.

Bubble

Neo Member

I'd prefer no open-world at all, but that probably ain't happening.

Honestly, I'd take a city. Trespasser hinted at Tevinter, so I guess the main capital/city. Something similar to Kirkwall would be pretty good to me.

What I don't want are any worlds similar to the ones in Inquisition. No Hinterlands, no desert maps, no forests, etc. Just make one city and leave it at that.

Tevinter should've been where DAI was cast. I remember when they were drawing concepts up and they asked the community where they want to explore. The vast majority replied with Tevinter Imperium. It's by far the most interesting place when you look at the lore. They're like our Roman Empire. Their influence is everywhere and they seem to turn everything upside down based on what we know like openly practicing blood magic is not forbidden. That combined with their constant war with Qunari make that place by far the most interesting.

I don't have a problem with open-world. In fact, if done correctly it could blow minds especially with their lore. Bioware is just not very good at it right now.

JeffG

Tevinter should've been where DAI was cast. I remember when they were drawing concepts up and they asked the community where they want to explore. The vast majority replied with Tevinter Imperium. It's by far the most interesting place when you look at the lore. They're like our Roman Empire. Their influence is everywhere and they seem to turn everything upside down based on what we know like openly practicing blood magic is not forbidden. That combined with their constant war with Qunari make that place by far the most interesting.

I don't have a problem with open-world. In fact, if done correctly it could blow minds especially with their lore. Bioware is just not very good at it right now.

Thats where they are going next

Weird time for Mass Effect and Bioware.

Just when we have seen months of stellar releases and have a 2017 looking like its going to be the next 2010, here comes a gen defining series' latest game taking it to the chin.

NPD should be interesting.

Can we ask for a modern DA:O or is that too much for current Bioware?

I'm from Iran btw.

what?

the game may have been rushed in the end, but that doesn't point to "troubled" development.
if it was rushed then i would certainly say it falls under troubled development.
I'm blaming it on the lack of polish. We as Mass Effect fans can ignore the horrible animations and bugs but for other people it's unacceptable for a AAA game to release in that state in 2017 and they're right. Bioware needs to kick itself in the ass and wake the fuck up, people don't expect just a good story and characters nowadays. You have no idea how much the animation thrashing is going to hurt the sales of this game. I have many friends who aren't into gaming and they've never heard of Mass Effect before but when I casually mentioned that I couldn't wait for Andromeda to come out they were like, "isn't that the game with the horrible graphics and animations"? Again, I don't wanna start a discussion about graphics and animations because I love this franchise too much that I can look past it, but other people wont tolerate that and I honestly can't blame them.
whoa, your friend not into gaming knew Me4 infamously as the game with bad facial animations? not a good sign. but yeah, i'll speak for at least myself when I say that Me2 was such a great game that all the problems riddled with it including the facial animations, were outweighed by how incredible the game was itself. i guess this generation it is not getting a pass, and it is kind of understandable since it is a new generation.
It's just a bad game filled with grinding, empty worlds, and shallow fetch quests to check boxes for those fans who kept complaining about the loss of "RPG" elements in ME2.
a whole lot of Me3 was nothing but fuckin fetch quests too though, yet that ends up with a 93?

Ralemont

not me
Almost none of ME3 was fetch questing. Out of a 35 hour game, 2-3 hours was probably scanning planets and running the finds to NPCs on the Citadel. The rest was a quality combination of main missions, lots of dialogues, unique, story-driven side quests, and combat.

That's what kills me about this open world stuff, because I feel (and always have, way before DAI or MEA) that tight 40 hour RPGs are way more in BWs wheelhouse than open world.

I'd prefer no open-world at all, but that probably ain't happening.

Honestly, I'd take a city. Trespasser hinted at Tevinter, so I guess the main capital/city. Something similar to Kirkwall would be pretty good to me.

What I don't want are any worlds similar to the ones in Inquisition. No Hinterlands, no desert maps, no forests, etc. Just make one city and leave it at that.

Man, I need to play that DLC.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
a whole lot of Me3 was nothing but fuckin fetch quests too though, yet that ends up with a 93?

ME3 cashes in (to a varying extent, depending on your personal attitude towards the narrative in comparison to the rest of the technical limitations and other potential issues people have with the game) on the 'payoff' for 2 games of setup dealing with various things from both an overarching narrative perspective as well as how it impacts your Shepard and his/her friends.

Almost none of ME3 was fetch questing. Out of a 35 hour game, 2-3 hours was probably scanning planets and running the finds to NPCs on the Citadel. The rest was a quality combination of main missions, lots of dialogues, unique, story-driven side quests, and combat.

Isn't it infuriating they have so many past examples on how to do this properly but they don't do it anymore? Hell, go back to Baldur's Gate 2. People point to TW3 as a golden example but Bioware has their own examples yet they forget they existed....

Phamit

I don't think they are going to do a much different route. Maybe less smaller Regions, so fewer but bigger regions. Similar to Velen and Skellige in Witcher 3. I expect their going to Nevarra, Tevinter, and maybe Antiva or Anderfels

Man, I need to play that DLC.
It's really good. Some people say that they shipped the real ending as the DLC, but imo it's more of explanation of Inquisitions ending and a teaser for the next one.

Ralemont

not me
Isn't it infuriating they have so many past examples on how to do this properly but they don't do it anymore? Hell, go back to Baldur's Gate 2. People point to TW3 as a golden example but Bioware has their own examples yet they forget they existed....

They are trying to do BG2 and that's the problem. They can't. They aren't staffed for it. They don't have the animators, they don't have the quest designers, they don't have the VA budget for that scope of a game. What modern BW can do well are games like KOTOR and ME2/3: hub-based games with smaller explorable worlds filled with quality content and max out at 40 hours for a COMPLETIONIST playthrough.

They are setting the degree of difficulty at 10 when they don't need to and it might be hindering them to do so.

And btw, I'm not a Chicken Little and I could still love Andromeda for what it is, but this is how I've felt since 2013 when BW first said they wanted ME to go back to the exploration of ME1. My reaction: nooooooo!

lol, going down the "let's bang" routes with everyone is pretty funny
BroRyder: "Liam, let's bang"
Liam: "I'm not into guys, but I'm curious if it'd be a short term or a long commitment"
BroRyder: "One night, all night"

GeorgeTakeiOhMy.gif

No way that's happening. That ship has sailed. Old Bioware is gone. The vast majority of the dev team is gone too. Pretty soon they'll have no devs left from the original Bioware.
Yeah, I should know better by now...

It's really good. Some people say that they shipped the real ending as the DLC, but imo it's more of explanation of Inquisitions ending and a teaser for the next one.

I'm not a fan of it being the true ending, but people say that it's good an act as a prologue for next game. So I think I should definitely play it.

ViciousDS

Banned
damn, I'm gone only till lunch come back to the review thread locked for a mod edit new one.

Dear god......I don't even want to read the review thread.

How's the OT fairing at least? Mostly legit game talk?

Buzzbrad

Using a VPN and the play button is grayed out also. Any solutions?

EDIT: Had to give it about 5 minutes then it allowed me to play

X-Frame

8 hours in so far, loving it. But please EA remaster the original trilogy while you're at it :p

What build are you going for? What did you start with?

Any tips when starting out? Looking at the beginning trainings the one that gives Cloak first seems the most valuable to me. Also Technician since Overload seems to be a very useful ability.

SliChillax

What build are you going for? What did you start with?

Any tips when starting out? Looking at the beginning trainings the one that gives Cloak first seems the most valuable to me. Also Technician since Overload seems to be a very useful ability.
Stock Scott and putting skill points into biotic powers like Nova and Shockwave. I'm playing on easy though cause I just wanna enjoy the story and environments.

I love how the Eos outpost has shuttles flying out all the time, makes the place feel alive with all that movement.

That's what kills me about this open world stuff, because I feel (and always have, way before DAI or MEA) that tight 40 hour RPGs are way more in BWs wheelhouse than open world.
it really did just feel like do this for this person, do this for that person, do this and that so that you get what you want and what you need, etc.
ME3 cashes in (to a varying extent, depending on your personal attitude towards the narrative in comparison to the rest of the technical limitations and other potential issues people have with the game) on the 'payoff' for 2 games of setup dealing with various things from both an overarching narrative perspective as well as how it impacts your Shepard and his/her friends.
right, which is why I expected so much more out of Me3. most people were satisfied other than the ending.

HaloRose

Banned
I believe you mean Bioware Montreal. If anything, this will likely mean that Edmonton is going to take the lead for all Bioware games, while Montreal gets reduced to simply a production factory and DLC studio.[/QUOTE]

If they do make another mass effect game they need learn from this or just get some upcoming young develops who will be passion about the project like old mass effect team. only problem if they're develops they've not good experience for big project like mass effect so next game might be same thing but it's learning curve.

Mediking

Anybody here know how fast a sex scene happens in the game? Just wondering... I kinda wanna see a gif or a brief glimpse of how it is.

Top Bottom