• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

caliph95

I can already predict the Double Toasted video for Black Panther

"I know people will call me a marvel bitch …"

"Marvel won't let DC have the spotlight…"

SArcher

Banned
"Disney strategically undercut the Justice League trailer with Star Wars"

Like c'mon son just admit you have a bias lol

They don't have a pro-DC bias, like at all. And when you look at the timing of some of Disney's trailer drops then it really does feel like they've been trying to one-up WB at every turn.

caliph95

They don't have a pro-DC bias, like at all. And when you look at the timing of some of Disney's trailer drops then it really does feel like they've been trying to one-up WB at every turn.
It's probably the crazy person in me but that sounds like something studios would do

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I do think Marvel is smart about their announcements and trailer drops, moreso than the other studios. Like I said earlier, Fox releasing the New Mutants trailer on Friday (dumb) at 3am (even dumber) doesn't do them any favors. You could get away with that it you're Star Wars, but not a new property. That's why it never even got into the Top 5 US Twitter trends on Friday.

Fox obviously wanted to do a midnight trailer drop on Friday the 13th but...who fucking cares? You're burying your marketing trying to be cute.

It's probably the crazy person in me but that sounds like something studios would do

Generally these things are timed well in advance. Like Star Wars 8's was timed to ticket preorders and some sports event. Thor Ragnarok's were for SDCC, also why JL has a new trailer then. This new Black Panther trailer is in part to attach to Thor, which is releasing in a week internationally.

I get why people entrenched in the comic tribalism like the conspiracy theories, but the attitude for people making these movies tends to be "a rising tide lifts all boats." Because it's true. Movies like Logan and Wonder Woman ultimately help Marvel Studios, and vice versa. It's a case where everyone can win.

I can already predict the Double Toasted video for Black Panther

"I know people will call me a marvel bitch …"

"Marvel won't let DC have the spotlight…"

It blows my mind that they think DC's CW shows are a waste of time and not worth mentioning. Sometimes I think someone needs to remind them that DC is kicking Marvel's ass at everything outside of movies.

Magwik

Banned

I mean not really. Trailers drop at events, NYCC was on the weekend. Months of planning probably go into when tickets go on sale with the theater chains as well.

caliph95

Shhhhh
Martin brings up an interesting point about Wakanda not helping other African countries. Is that addressed in the comics?
Yes the answer is a combination of not wanting to be exploited by invaders and them being Isolationist dicks

Or signal the Slayven signal

The only that could match them is Atlantis and Doom

America does have Tony and Reed

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Man, Korey did not want to say anything negative about that. When Martin was right on the money with Marvel doing another villain fight, the evil version of himself.

I also like how in this and the New Mutants, they were bringing up Blade a lot. Both for being the first major black lead comic book film and how well in blended horror into it.

Amazing, they were pretty positive on The Foreigner. Martin gave it a full price, which I had to agree upon. Alongside Gritz enjoying it a lot. The Koreys not as much.

Kreed

Yeah, Wakanda is an very insular country which works for and against them in different situations. It has been a fairly major plot point in stories.

This doesn't even need explaining. Just point at the US and how they treat "neighbors" for a real life example. Shit, not even neighbors, US territories.

Dereck

mA4lOBb.gif

Glass Rebel

Man, Korey did not want to say anything negative about that. When Martin was right on the money with Marvel doing another villain fight, the evil version of himself.

The "evil version of himself" criticism is pretty meaningless without having seen the movie. Hundreds of works in literature and film managed to make this work without problem, some movies botching it (Man of Steel, Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk...) doesn't mean it's an inherently flawed concept.

Farsi

TONIGHT

We're getting reviews for both Madea and Geostorm. Korey mentioned it being a drunk review show on Tuesday.

double_toasted_korey_drunk_by_digi_matrix-davm4hv.gif

♫~it's the most wonderful time of the year~♫

Lijik

every time i see a billboard for Madea (and down here in Atlanta, theres a ton of em) i get excited just anticipating the DT review, cant wait

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The "evil version of himself" criticism is pretty meaningless without having seen the movie. Hundreds of works in literature and film managed to make this work without problem, some movies botching it (Man of Steel, Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk...) doesn't mean it's an inherently flawed concept.

No, but it's something the MCU has done several times over already as they pointed out. Sometimes it works out well like WS, other times not as much; Hulk, Ironman, Antman, Dr. Strange, etc.

caliph95

You know the origin of Madea Halloween

Tyler wasn't planning to make it but after in Top Five (amazing film by Chris Rock) made a joke about a Halloween Madea film that was released in the movie story

The studios like that joke and decided to make it for real by approaching Tyler

So it's Chris Rock fault

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Supposedly Boo 2 isn't even as good as the first one. And Geostorm is Geostorm. Fuel for the fire

diaspora

Yeah, Girtz/Goodwin's ignorance on games is kind of astounding and the reason I don't tune in. They need to bring in some actually knowledgeable people onto the show. The high score crew would have to be completely replaced unless you want the conflict of hardcore/non-hardcore conflict to go on.

Sammy and Ian's retro film analysis IMO makes this especially stark.

No, but it's something the MCU has done several times over already as they pointed out. Sometimes it works out well like WS, other times not as much; Hulk, Ironman, Antman, Dr. Strange, etc.

I think we can give Hulk a pass since a lot of fans have wanted to see Hulk throwdown against another villain as powerful as him. Same for Man of Steel which was mentioned by Oz.

Glass Rebel

Yes but how is that a negative about a movie that isn't even out yet? It's a superficial observation at best.

diaspora

Weird. It feels like this is the first time in a while I've seen Martin and Korey situated on the same side in the Boo 2 review and it's tripping me out.

Top Bottom