• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lena Headey Accuses Harvey Weinstein of Sexual Harassment

Slaythe

giphy.gif

Sigh

Can we have a list of anyone NOT an asshole in holywood ?

Gotta have at least 3 or 4 people left at this point. This is depressing.

Velcro Fly

Anyone who knew about this and said/did nothing should hang right along with him. You are complicit in his actions and are just as much at fault for them continuing.

liquidtmd

Banned
45 women?! How the hell did Harvey think he'd get away with this. Send him to jail for a lifetime.

And that's the ones we know about

That's why it's darkly fucking shit that he comes out with 'Everyone deserves a second chance'.

Dude. They do. This would be at least your 46th chance over the span of three decades. Fuck the fuck off

rudger

They have enough evidence, they should put him away. There needs to be a crack down on all these assholes.

Fortunately(?) unlike the Cosby situation I think many of these crimes happened recently enough to still be within the statute of limitations.

Just read it. That last part is terrifying. Poor girl :(

Never knew she had such a bad experience with Gilliam making Brother's Grimm.

I don't think equating bullying directors with sexual predators is a good idea.

I have no doubt Gilliam is an asshole, but there's nothing in that saying he's a predator.

Earth

Banned
He was mentioned in the same paragraph as Harvey Weinstein so people are now going to assume the worst when in reality he could have just yelled at Lena and stole her lunch money.

I have no doubt Gilliam is an asshole, but there's nothing in that saying he's a predator.

Gilliam signed the petition to pardon Polanski - personally I don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

EGM1966

Of course it's not a good idea but people will do it anyway. Which is a shame as it actually dilutes the issue and distracts from it: the issue being a serial abuser of women getting away with it for years before finally getting called out and how he's likely not the only one in the industry either.

Kubrick being a bit of a manic obsessive demanding 100 plus takes and using the old trick of isolating an actor who's role requires them to feel completely isolated or Gilliam being another obsessive who falls foul of putting the film ahead of the actors, while interesting to discuss in another thread, shouldn't be the focus here and really I'd argue is going off topic.

aliengmr

Sigh

Can we have a list of anyone NOT an asshole in holywood ?

Gotta have at least 3 or 4 people left at this point. This is depressing.

Depends on where you're placing the bar for asshole. If it's anyone not fitting your own personal definition of "normal", then it's potentially going to be a very short list.

If it's people like Weinstein, then the good will far outweigh the bad.

When you actually take a step back, Hollywood is mostly good people with extreme personalities.

eot

Banned
Are you kidding? Avatar has the worst acting I've ever seen, outside of obvious B movies. He can't even make a decent copy of his own Aliens, especially with a main character who can't stick to an accent.
How is Avatar trying to imitate Aliens?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Spielberg /jinx

Spielberg is a prick. If you're not Hollywood royalty then he doesn't even consider you to be human.
But he doesn't rape anyone that I know of.

Ash735

Terry Gilliam can be a bully to anyone though, dude is an OCD like perfectionist and if he can't get a scene EXACTLY how he imagines it then damn, prepare to be working long hours, read up on the Hamster incident during Twelve Monkeys.

Seems like a lot of people are happy to make excuses for Christian Bale being a volatile bully but a single line about Terry Gilliam has people bent out of shape.

Weird huh?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Spielberg is a prick. If you're not Hollywood royalty then he doesn't even consider you to be human.

Where'd you hear that? I know someone who met him and said he was very nice.

Replicant

Why is this guy so fucking desperate and pathetic? Not to mention scary.

Seems like a lot of people are happy to make excuses for Christian Bale being a volatile bully but a single line about Terry Gilliam has people bent out of shape.

Weird huh?

Yeah, people seems to get bent out of shape when it comes to their favorite actors. They're not Gods and deitys, guys. If they are pricks, call them out!

We really need to :

- put women in thr higher positions in this industry
- make sure actors and actresses are educated about this shit and are taught about how to fight back the mental approach these predators use

No, we have to go back to the beginning to the childhood education where little boys are taught that women are less than men. We need to stop acting like women are below men. This is what patriarchal society is based upon. Where women are looked down and seen as weaker, inferior being.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Where'd you hear that? I know someone who met him and said he was very nice.

I've heard it from all three people I know who worked under him. One is an Academy member. I've also heard it from other people.
A couple of the same people said that another person mentioned here, JJ, was very respectful.

James Cameron is the exception here. Dude is an absolute force of nature but gets spectacular results.

My mom dated James when he was mainly a photographer (I think this was the mid-late 70s?) and he apparently was nice but very full of himself even then. Offered my mom $500 to come move with him to Malibu (she didn't).

I would've.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Weinstein is a monster, but many of the people who are coming out of this looking bad are the people who put the creation of great art above basic human decency. That's what all the Polanski defenders are doing. That's what Bertolucci did, Kubrick etc.

banjo5150

This is just nuts, dude is a horrible disaster.

I was listening to the latest Hollywood Babble on Kevin Smith just about had a breakdown over it. As he was tied to Weinstein so much. He said he is going to donate $2,000 every month until he dies to a Women in Film organization. Over the guilt of receiving residuals from those movies still. It was an interesting listen.

Famassu

He was mentioned in the same paragraph as Harvey Weinstein so people are now going to assume the worst when in reality he could have just yelled at Lena and stole her lunch money.
It clearly says Gilliam was just a bully towards her. No one is making anything up or assuming anything.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Fortunately(?) unlike the Cosby situation I think many of these crimes happened recently enough to still be within the statute of limitations.

Most of what has been alleged is not a crime at all.

I'm as mad about what this guy was doing as the next (not directly involved) person. But you guys need to have realistic expectations of what the law is and what's going to happen to him. It's extremely unlikely Weinstein will be punished legally at all.

Maebe

Scary to think of all the other powerful criminals lurking around hollywood doing as they please because not enough people or no one at all could speak out against them and be believed.

Top Bottom