• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Updated my predictions:
qkFaMNB.png

What does Guarantee/Planning/Invited mean? Are they just your confidence levels in those predictions?

Only one new first party announcement?

Bloodborne 2 and Sucker Punch's New IP is two.

Though Bloodborne 2 is a silly prediction anyway, I don't know why so many people completely ignore what Miyazaki has said.

Pixelopus new game for me is almost a guarantee too.

That's a pretty good prediction. I think a couple of new VR announcements is a near certainty too. And, you know, that niche Call of Duty franchise.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't think we're getting TLOU2 gameplay just yet. Has to be a while before we get to that.

Now, God of War is what I'm looking forward to the most. Do you all want to see an extended demo again or something leaner and to the point?

They seem to have a lot more in development that some are expecting. Here's Yoshida commenting on it

http://gematsu.com/2017/01/atlus-sq...re-2017-ambitions-famitsu-dengeki-playstation

Japan Studio producers

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/4gamer-interviews-japanese-creators-2017-ambitions

But would they be first party or collab like Bloodborne. Internally they are still working on Everybody's Golf, Knack 2 and just released TLG and GR2. I dunno if they have anything other major internally, not that smaller projects are bad.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Guarantee - I'm sure it will be there.
Planning - Hopefully it will be there.
Invited - Wild Dreams.
i think you're nuts if you're expecting anything on TLOU2 this year. At PSX they went out of their way to say it was way early. Wouldn't be surprised at all if it skipped the show completely and they focused on Uncharted

Edit: I guess I could see them doing another CG trailer but gameplay is PSX 2017 at the earliest, and I still think that's a stretch

Zukkoyaki

But would they be first party or collab like Bloodborne. Internally they are still working on Everybody's Golf, Knack 2 and just released TLG and GR2. I dunno if they have anything other major internally, not that smaller projects are bad.
Golf is external with Clap Hanz. As for your question, probably external because, as you said, they just wrapped TLG and GR2.

I'd imagine Naughty Dog will be there to show more of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and its release date, but I'm thinking Last of Us Part II will go dark since it's in early development.

What other first party can even announce stuff? Sucker Punch is the only one that has had time to develop anything new. Maybe some small project from the guys that made Entwined. Mayyyyyybe something small from Japan Studio but they have their hands kinda full.

SP is the only studio that can show anything big that is tangible.

Their hands are full? The only announced thing is Knack 2 as The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 released in recent months, and hundreds of people work at the studio. They're not all working on Knack 2. =P

I also wonder if Insomniac is working on another Ratchet in this new universe. They're always working on multiple projects.

Puppeteer is underrated. I enjoyed that game.

My younger sister was staying at my place a couple months ago, and as the PS3 still has so many more co-op games I booted it up and went through the list of PS+ titles I'd acrued. Puppeteer stood out and having not seen anything of it before, we downloaded it and had a blast!

Auctopus

8 min of live demo for bb2? Nah. If there will be a bb2 they will announce it with a trailer.

I don't think BB2 is coming at E3 but I think the setup is pretty familiar to fans so they could probably announce it with a cold-open gameplay video at PSX.

Probably big setpiece time.

Yeah, I think last year was to show its new direction but this year could be a "It's still a God of War game" show-off.

Sure is... i'd gladly re-purchase it for my PS4.

My younger sister was staying at my place a couple months ago, and as the PS3 still has so many more co-op games I booted it up and went through the list of PS+ titles I'd acrued. Puppeteer stood out and having not seen anything of it before, we downloaded it and had a blast!
Yep, I played it through PS+ and I really liked it. Charming and unique.

Let it return so it can bomb out harder than teraway and gravity rush? Meh!

Now freedom wars on the other hand

I'm sorry drifting Xp
Dammit, Sanji!

I do want more Vita stuff on PS4 though.

Fhtagn

I think this might be it but instead of Bloodborne 2 it will be a new IP from From.

I hope this is the case; I strongly prefer their non-sequel work lately.

I also hope they realize they are on a roll these days and make a game that makes narrative sense for there to even be a sequel... DS2 and 3 suffer greatly because DS1 is so totally wrapped up by the end there's not really anywhere to satisfyingly go. Bloodborne is also largely self-contained.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Updated my predictions:
qkFaMNB.png

- Bloodborne 2...Agree. Debut trailer followed by gameplay trailer.
- Sucker Punch new IP...Disagree. I think Sony holds it until E3 2018.
- Dreams...Agree. Short trailer. Nothing special. I still think it will bomb badly.
- Spider Man...Agree. Debut trailer followed by gameplay trailer.
- Don't see MVCI or DMC 5 being at Sony's E3 press conference. Think PSX is way more likely.
- Wild...Somewhat agree. If it's shown, I think that it will be part of an Indie/PSN multi-game trailer.
- Katamari VR...Somewhat agree. If it's shown, I think that it will be part of a PSVR multi-game trailer.
- Star Wars Battlefront 2...Does Sony have the marketing deal for this game?
- Final Fantasy VII Remake...Agree. Short gameplay trailer only.
- Kingdom Hearts III...Disagree. Not a chance in hell.
- Death Stranding...Agree. Third cinematic trailer. I wish Kojima and this game would go away.
- Red Dead Redemption 2...Agree. Long gameplay trailer. No way will it only be three minutes long. I think this will be Sony's biggest and longest segment outside of God of War IV and Days Gone.
- Destiny 2...Agree. Debut trailer followed by a gameplay trailer.
- God of War IV...Agree. Gameplay trailer. March 2018 release date.
- The Last of Us Part II...Disagree. I don't think that you'll see it at all.

Missing some games though. Definitely see Knack 2, Days Gone, Detroit, COD 2017 and GT Sport gameplay videos and release dates at E3. Also, final push for Crash.

Yeah, I think last year was to show its new direction but this year could be a "It's still a God of War game" show-off.
I am on blackout but it is going to be so damn hard if they do go that route.

FUUUUUU!

I hope this is the case; I strongly prefer their non-sequel work lately.

I also hope they realize they are on a roll these days and make a game that makes narrative sense for there to even be a sequel... DS2 and 3 suffer greatly because DS1 is so totally wrapped up by the end there's not really anywhere to satisfyingly go. Bloodborne is also largely self-contained.
Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time and Bloodborne 2 would be day 1 but I think I agree with you. There is just something so thrilling about "From Software new IP".

Elfstruck

SP is 50/50. Last E3, Scott Rhode said that SP is a bit behind Bend, but then Bend has only what? 100 employee? So yeh, maybe we will see SP's new IP this year.

SP is 50/50. Last E3, Scott Rhode said that SP is a bit behind Bend, but then Bend has only what? 100 employee? So yeh, maybe we will see SP's new IP this year.
It should still be ready to be announced though.

What makes everyone so sure that there is "guaranteed" bloodborne 2 trailers. Did I miss some news?
I don't think it is BB2 that is guaranteed. I think people feel confident in From Software being there and they are just discussing the possibility of BB2.

I don't think we see any TLOU2 gameplay at E3. Maybe PSX.

It should still be ready to be announced though.

I don't think it is BB2 that is guaranteed. I think people feel confident in From Software being there and they are just discussing the possibility of BB2.

I strongly believe a From Software exclusive will be there. Bloodborne 2 just seems like the safe choice.

Zukkoyaki

We're getting due for the next wave of meaningful VR games as well. If we don't see at least a few compelling ones announced at E3, I would legit be worried about PSVR.

I wonder if Northwest Studio is ready to show their first VR game. Also Sony London is pretty big and one would think they had more than VR Worlds in development. And lately I've been thinking that PixelOpus could be working on a VR game as well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The pie in the sky part of that list is 8 minutes of TLOU II gameplay. You won't see that game again until Lost Legacy is out.

DMC5 is happening!

DMC5 is 100% happening but no one can figure out when it's going to debut. It's been such a long wait (9 years since DMC4) that whenever it does surface, I hope the release date is soon after.

Dabi

I don't think we're getting TLOU2 gameplay just yet. Has to be a while before we get to that.

Now, God of War is what I'm looking forward to the most. Do you all want to see an extended demo again or something leaner and to the point?

They did a good job showing what was different from previous instalments with the last demo. This one should have a set piece and Kratos wiping the floor with 3 dozen enemies at once lol

I'm not hopeful on TLoU Part II gameplay being shown, but honestly I would not be surprised if they do appear.

For what it's worth, ND has always been the studio known for its fast iteration & we know that the UC4 gameplay vertical slice came down to the last moments in terms of being made and ready to show.

Personally I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the game has no Game Director attached to the project.

In the same way they announced the game without initially commenting on Bruce Straley's lack of involvement until Kotaku forced their response, I would suspect that any confirmation of new directorship/etc supporting Neil (or not) would come out in the next media cycle, once they're ready to talk gameplay.

I mean, it's pretty pointless if the new game director ( or if Neil is solo-director) can't comment about how Bruce's lack of involvement in the project isn't going to be an issue or share his/her personal vision of the gameplay is for the TLoU Part II.

FelipeMGM

So, at E3 2015 Sony announced 4 first party IP games

-TLG (I think it counts as an announcement)
-Horizon: ZD
-Dreams
-RIGS

In 2016, they announced 5 at the keynote (and one out of that, which was Here They Lie)

-GoW
-Days Gone
-Farpoint
-Spider-Man
-Death Stranding

So I guess we will have something around that 4-5 first party IP games announcements again

-Sucker Punch
-Something FS-JP Studio
-PixelOpus
-SIE Manchester VR game?
-Sony London next VR game?
-Some ''2nd party'' deal we dont know of?

Or maybe since they have a lot of stuff announced already, they will naturally tone down the number of new stuff

That's a pretty good prediction. I think a couple of new VR announcements is a near certainty too. And, you know, that niche Call of Duty franchise.

oh yeah, that CoD needs all the help it can get lol

Also think VR will have a bigger presence this year than previous ones, which might not mean much since they didnt dedicate a lot of time for VR in any recent keynotes really.

Wozman23

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen anything from Sucker Punch yet. I fully expected something last E3, considering Infamous was released in 2014 and should have helped familiarize them with PS4 development.

I seriously doubt we'd get a playable demo for TLoU 2 until at least next year. That teaser trailer felt like they finally decided to make a sequel 10 minutes before they showed it.

Puppeteer was great! One of my favorite platformers in a while. Sadly, I don't see that IP going anywhere. Director Gavin Moore said he's concentrating on smaller games. I'd be elated to be proved wrong with a sequel or even a spiritual successor.

It'd also be great to see if Insomniac's NC studio has plans for a new Ratchet & Clank, or what Queasy Games has been up to since Sound Shapes in 2012.

Dabi

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen anything from Sucker Punch yet. I fully expected something last E3, considering Infamous was released in 2014 and should have helped familiarize them with PS4 development.

I seriously doubt we'd get a playable demo for TLoU 2 until at least next year. That teaser trailer felt like they finally decided to make a sequel 10 minutes before they showed it.

That teaser was conceptualized for over a year from the date it was showed.

Top Bottom