• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

The art style is incredible but I really wish the gameplay was a bit more involving.

Damn, mate. I felt like that game constantly evolved in the gameplay department throughout the game, probably one of the most creative games I've played in a long time (played it last year).

I mean, yeah, it doesn't move past being a platformer and its core but all the drawing/cutting and different level/combat design really kept me playing. I love The Lab level, especially.

The biggest issue I had with the game as a whole is the pacing. The amount of times it makes you think you're at the end of the game before yanking it away isn't endearing, it's very annoying.

I wonder what type the new IP from Sucker Punch will be. They always innovate in gameplay in every new IP. Their next game will be open world no doubt since Kojima chose their engine for the first trailer of Death Stranding before he chose Decima Engine seeing that he was looking for an engine suited for open world.

Dabi

I wonder what type the new IP from Sucker Punch will be. They always innovate in gameplay in every new IP. Their next game will be open world no doubt since Kojima chose their engine for the first trailer of Death Stranding before he chose Decima Engine seeing that he was looking for an engine suited for open world.

Only two more months friend

The art style is incredible but I really wish the gameplay was a bit more involving.

The involving and evolving gameplay is actually what I've been loving about the game. It's made very good use of the DualShock 4. First I'm using the light to lead enemies off cliffs. Then I'm using the touch pad to bounce to ledges and bounce objects into my grasp. Then I'm swiping on it to control the wind and open bridges and rotate platforms. And in between, I get to use the controller to create new butterfly wings or crowns, drawing that I see for the remainder of the game.

Almost no way. Stay strong, I've been asking after suckerpunch for a minute, I'm beyond (BEYOND) ready for their reveal.

Yeah, Sucker Punch is hype, especially if New IP.

I mean Sony kept all their upcoming blockbuster games secret so far until last year, yet they revealed Days Gone, Spider-Man, and even Death Stranding and God Of War which were some of the biggest surprises this gen and later they even revealed The Last Of Us 2 which was another unexpected reveal for a secret game (they were still hesitating whether to reveal it at that time or not). I wonder why they keep Sucker Punch game so secret so far. Is it more ambitious than all the other games? The curiosity is unbearable. :p

I mean Sony kept all their upcoming blockbuster games secret so far until last year, yet they revealed Days Gone, Spider-Man, and even Death Stranding and God Of War which were some of the biggest surprises this gen and later they even revealed The Last Of Us 2 which was another unexpected reveal for a secret game (they were still hesitating whether to reveal it at that time or not). I wonder why they keep Sucker Punch game so secret so far. Is it more ambitious than all the other games? The curiosity is unbearable. :p

Probably wanted to make sure its going to be a real game and not something they work on for a little while and have to cancel.

Probably wanted to make sure its going to be a real game and not something they work on for a little while and have to cancel.

We are hopefully long past that stage of development.

I think they've just had plenty other games to show and didn't need to play that card yet.

I have ridiculously high expectations for the reveal at this stage though.

No pressure SP ;)

Icolin

Banned
It's cool that Spider-Man, my most anticipated game, is coming out this year, but I feel like it isn't necessary and a little too soon tbh.

Not really complaining though. Day one whenever it releases.

yurinka

Anyway, I just read that a retailer leaked a possible launch date for Days Gone for August 22 this year... have people talked about that here?
It's way too early. Considering what they said in interviews and the fact it wasn't included in their 2017 games reel, sounds more like a 2018/2019 game to me.

In addition to this, I doubt Sony would launch a big AAA like this in August and if it would be the case they already would have been to market it hard because it's like 4 months from now.
I don't know if this is old news but I thought it was interesting that Sony Santa Monica is hiring a Senior Multiplayer Programmer when it has been said that GoW does not have any multiplayer elements.
So what do you think it's for?
  • Change of plans. Multiplayer is in.
  • Future GoW title
  • General system online integration
  • Second project unrelated to GoW
  • Something else
Personally I think it's most likely that they are starting to do some early testing for multiplayer elements in the sequel. The reason I think it's this is that when I googled "God of War multiplayer job" I came upon an article from 30/04/2008 that speculated that GoW3 would have multiplayer based on a job opening. Two years later GoW3 shipped without multiplayer but then Ascension (2013) had it.
I bet it's this one:
  • Supporting in the server side one of these small indie games they publish and sometimes help in the tech side.

I'd prefer to see them focused on inmersive single player AAA experiences and to don't spend time on (subpar) multiplayer for God of War.

DKHF

shinobi teased God of War's Norse setting almost a year ago to the day. And teased Days Gone (Dead Don't Ride at the time) in mid-April last year. I wonder if he will tease a E3 Sony project around this time again. Not saying I want him to but I'm curious if he will again.

If Spider-Man and God of War and Dreams and Detroit all came out this year and lived up to expectations, then 2017 would officially be the greatest year in PlayStation history.

Not that they will. I don't see any of them doing so in all honesty (well... maybe one might).

jmaine_ph

Seems like that Spider-Man story is making the rounds. Really hope it's true. Either that or God of War for 2017 would be awesome. Both would be better.

Icolin

Banned
shinobi teased God of War's Norse setting almost a year ago to the day. And teased Days Gone (Dead Don't Ride at the time) in mid-April last year. I wonder if he will tease a E3 Sony project around this time again. Not saying I want him to but I'm curious if he will again.

Does he go on GAF anymore? Thought I heard he left, but I could be wrong.

Pachimari

I've constantly said Spider-Man would be this year, and hopefully it rings true.

I also hope their next showing of Days Gone is gonna involve some new mechanics because I don't see a million-seller in what they've shown so far. They haven't shown much to be fair though.

Lady Gaia

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232179231&postcount=19526

His point is very valid. And it's evidently not solely because of Andromeda, even though the sheer scope of the negativity before release was pretty damn shameful.

It's a shame. He was one of the members whose posts I always read with affection and interest because it was so evident he loved this industry. Hopefully the moderator crew takes his concern to heart and thinks about what tweaks might make this a healthier community again.

FelipeMGM

Someone level with me...

Is there any chance this new Spider-Man game will actually be good?

I think that if we look back the developer history, its the reverse of what you seem to think, the expected is at beeing good and the slim chances are on beeing bad...

Insomniac has delivered bigtime with it latest projects in terms of quality

Dabi

I've constantly said Spider-Man would be this year, and hopefully it rings true.

I also hope their next showing of Days Gone is gonna involve some new mechanics because I don't see a million-seller in what they've shown so far. They haven't shown much to be fair though.

From what I've read on the game, it's shaping up to be a great game. They just need a memorable demo. The one shown at E3 2016 was meh

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's a shame. He was one of the members whose posts I always read with affection and interest because it was so evident he loved this industry. Hopefully the moderator crew takes his concern to heart and thinks about what tweaks might make this a healthier community again.

Mods can't change human nature and the internet.

Top Bottom