• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
Doesn't every Android phone slow down and lag in a year? Since updating your OS inevitably results in problems in addition to whatever havoc apps can cause over the same period, it just seems like an issue that impacts the OS as a whole, not just Samsung's stuff.

Every Android phone needs a factory reset periodically especially after big updates.

I think iPhone's don't need the full factory reset as often, but yes all phones do slow down and I think it's due to what you said as well as slow downs due to storage hitting near full capacity (at least on older phones due to TRIM issues).

The S7 I had never saw that slow down after a year. I think I did maybe one factory reset because of a major update? That phone still performed well and I was managing my storage, and wasn't running a ton of apps in the background. This was on non-rooted phone. I expect my S7 Edge to continue to run well into the future. Have plenty of apps and games on my phone that take up 13 GB, leaving another 12 free and the rest of everything else is saved to my SD. God bless expandable storage.

Are the recent Snapdragon 6xx chips like the 625 at least as powerful as the old 800 or 801? Thinking about getting a moto g4 or g5 plus to tide me over until later this year.

No Love

Banned
Are the recent Snapdragon 6xx chips like the 625 at least as powerful as the old 800 or 801? Thinking about getting a moto g4 or g5 plus to tide me over until later this year.

They're about the same in performance for day to day usage I believe. And way better battery life.

reKon

Banned
They're about the same in performance for day to day usage I believe. And way better battery life.

Strange how the Xperia Z3 Compact which had the 801 absolutely obliterated​ eveything else in battery including Sony's own phones today, which carry the 600 series...

They have either the same or similar battery capacity.

Jeffrey

If near stock android expect smooth performance. Anything else ymmv.

Moto G5 plus is apparently quite good, especially for the price.

LeleSocho

Banned
My shit is flawless because I'm not an idiot with my cell my phone. The amoled screen is brilliant on my phone. It was brilliant on my S7 Edge. And back when I bought myself my first flagship smart phone, the amoled screen on the Galaxy Nexus was brilliant. No burn in or image retention on any of those. Maybe I got lucky with Galaxy Nexus, I don't know. But maintaining these screens is not as nearly as hard as it was maintaining Plasma screens (from experience). Took a look at my brothers Nexus 6p, which typically stays brighter than my screen on average. Still looks amazing.
Bullcrap, peak Plasma sets are way more reliable than whatever the best OLED is right now; my 2007 Kuro panel still doesn't have a single pixel of burn-in or IR despite the fact that my mom sleeps with the tv on every single night, still amazed on how later Panasonic sets which i also owned were less reliable than Pioneer's despite them acquiring the technology.
As you pointed out you have to babysit your OLED panel if you want less chances of stuff looking horrible.

There are no pros and cons of AMOLED v. LCD. AMOLED is just objectively better. The only issue is potential burn in, IMO.
You are objectively wrong.

And both technologies have burn-in.
Technically correct but essentially a non issue unless your LCD panel is bottom of the barrel quality.

LeleSocho

Banned
Highly informative post.

Just as the one i quoted but yeah i can at least pull out the facts if you want.
OLED is not better than LCD in Peak luminance, Ghosting (you could use BFI to get rid of it but still present in every single panel nonetheless), Lifespan, all the eventual issues whatever subpixel array you chose (Pentile, S-Stripe, true RGB all have different problems) and last but not the least Burn-in and Image Retention.

I wonder if Panasonic will manage to deliver on that LCD tech that gives a per pixel precision for brightness, if that happens i guess a lot of OLED apologists will stay quiet for a while.

In any case the cycle is continuing, after all the "new OLEDs are essentially perfect!" comments images of burn-in/IR start to pop around.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Every phone slows down.

iPhone. Android. Windows Phone.

Everyone loses.

I think this post minimizes just how bad Samsung phones get. Yeah it's a problem overall but it's much more pronounced on Samsung phones. LG and HTC do a much better job of maintaining performance as you add apps and photos. Recent Apple phones only show down after the two year update when Apple wants you to buy a new phone.

reKon

Banned
Bullcrap, peak Plasma sets are way more reliable than whatever the best OLED is right now; my 2007 Kuro panel still doesn't have a single pixel of burn-in or IR despite the fact that my mom sleeps with the tv on every single night, still amazed on how later Panasonic sets which i also owned were less reliable than Pioneer's despite them acquiring the technology.
As you pointed out you have to babysit your OLED panel if you want less chances of stuff looking horrible.

You are objectively wrong.

Technically correct but essentially a non issue unless your LCD panel is bottom of the barrel quality.

This is just from personal experience, but my panasonic UT5055 had issues with image retention like non-stop. It probably didn't help that it doubled as PC monitor. No actual burn in though. I currently own three devices with OLED screens and I haven't seen one instance of even image retention. I know burn in is an actual legitimate problem, but I don't believe this is something that's widespread (at least not anymore).

You guys, I finally got my first Android phone.
After 4 years with my Lumia 920, I have now upgraded to an LG G6. My previous phone was an LG as well. This one looks great and has everything I need. The experience is really different, so it's going to take a while to get used to things. That's the worst part for me, really. Starting over and changes to my routine are difficult.

Oh man, it isn't for the S8+, the G6 would have been my purchase this month. Even price wise, it is priced almost $350 cheaper than the S8+ here. I've used a G2 in the past and currently using the G5. I love them both except for the image retention on my G5 kinda bothers me quite a bit.

May be I will buy the G6 when it goes on sale for cheaper as a pack up sometime this year. Enjoy your phone, LG makes great displays.

LeleSocho

Banned
This is just from personal experience, but my panasonic UT5055 had issues with image retention like non-stop. It probably didn't help that it doubled as PC monitor. No actual burn in though. I currently own three devices with OLED screens and I haven't seen one instance of even image retention. I know burn in is an actual legitimate problem, but I don't believe this is something that's widespread (at least not anymore).

For the Panasonic part i have no problem believing that since i have even seen modern panels that had still an incredible amount of buzzing (like actually audible) while all the much older Kuro i've seen had none.
As for the OLED sorry but i've stopped drinking the kool aid, until i've seen a generation of panels that passes the test of time i will not consider it a good technology if you want a stress free experience.

Jeffrey

I'm curious if they'll patch that to fix it the way they did on the S6/S7.

'speed tests' dont show the issue as much... but from my day to day usage... im more surprised when an app is retained than not lol.

Especially games or audio apps for some reason.

Like if I play a video, pocketcast completely closes some times. having no success finding any options in settings to fix this lol.

Phone has so many options but nothing to help this :/

reKon

Banned
Is Samsung's aggressive memory management a battery saving thing? It doesn't seem like most other phones have this problem.

I honestly think it does. One Plus puts good sized batteries in their phone and it doesn't translate to incredible battery life. But the performance on those phones are constantly amazing. If Huawei doesn't and Xiaomi are good with RAM management, then there's no excuse for Samsung's to be that aggressive. But as Jeffrey mentioned, this might be just with particular apps.

For games though, I don't think I had this problem. I loaded up Limbp 8 hours later picking up where I left of before...

Then again it's a lighter game.

Jeffrey

I honestly think it does. One Plus puts good sized batteries in their phone and it doesn't translate to incredible battery life. But the performance on those phones are constantly amazing. If Huawei doesn't and Xiaomi are good with RAM management, then there's no excuse for Samsung's to be that aggressive. But as Jeffrey mentioned, this might be just with particular apps.

For games though, I don't think I had this problem. I loaded up Limbp 8 hours later picking up where I left of before...

Then again it's a lighter game.

Hopefully future updates improve on this like they did with s6 and s7.

They really should make high performance mode better at multitasking though. Pretty much all it does is boost brightness lol.

clav

Is Samsung's aggressive memory management a battery saving thing? It doesn't seem like most other phones have this problem.

To a certain extent, yes.

Android has a Windows XP problem in that so many devices are still on Android 4.X, so most devs still target a build there and then see what they can use to scale up.

Consequentially, a lot of popular apps are still written in that old OS, so you have to consider the power standards then + possible complicated bugs with so many varied hardware setups.

the big question is with regards to One Plus/Redmi is will they release the perfect phone ie B28 and all the Bells and whistles for the markets that they might be targeting ?

the Aussie market is an interesting one

regardless running marshmallow ZUI on my ZUK Z2 for now and having problems going from it to Zui Nogouat could be because i used Mi flash

Might stick with what i have and go custom in the Near future when Android O hits

just what is the normal turn around time for a whole new OS to hit - haven't really followed the Smart phone Scene

Doesn't every Android phone slow down and lag in a year? Since updating your OS inevitably results in problems in addition to whatever havoc apps can cause over the same period, it just seems like an issue that impacts the OS as a whole, not just Samsung's stuff.

Every Android phone needs a factory reset periodically especially after big updates.

I thought that with all my heart, but that's not what my experience has been since I've had Huawei phones in the last year. I had a Huawei P9 for more than a year, updated it to 7 in January (through a test build) and later on the official update and honest to God I never saw that damned phone ever struggle for even half a second once. I was shocked as for me from what I was used to seeing, every flagship turned slow after a year. And that was a full year of pushing the cellphone to its limits. Mate 9 I've had it now for nearly 6 months and same story. At this point in time, when I'm handed a new Huawei flagship, I'm in the opposite side of where I was before. I know I can count on them to never slow down, and never fail me every day at work.

It's true that I have seen some customers complain about S7 speed, but I think there's less and less each year mentioning that.

That's my experience as well with Samsung customers with low end and mid end phones like the A series. Very few of them mentioning a slow phone, maybe none at all.

I think it's still an issue with flagship Android phones, but it's getting close to not being an issue.

reKon

Banned
I thought that with all my heart, but that's not what my experience has been since I've had Huawei phones in the last year. I had a Huawei P9 for more than a year, updated it to 7 in January (through a test build) and later on the official update and honest to God I never saw that damned phone ever struggle for even half a second once. I was shocked as for me from what I was used to seeing, every flagship turned slow after a year. And that was a full year of pushing the cellphone to its limits. Mate 9 I've had it now for nearly 6 months and same story. At this point in time, when I'm handed a new Huawei flagship, I'm in the opposite side of where I was before. I know I can count on them to never slow down, and never fail me every day at work.

It's true that I have seen some customers complain about S7 speed, but I think there's less and less each year mentioning that.

That's my experience as well with Samsung customers with low end and mid end phones like the A series. Very few of them mentioning a slow phone, maybe none at all.

I think it's still an issue with flagship Android phones, but it's getting close to not being an issue.

My friends S6 still flys. Dunno if it was because of the Exynos.

No Love

Banned

Perhaps Huawei has more optimized custom stuff in Android that isn't as heavy-handed as other OEMs? Not sure but I have yet to see a large scale test or in-depth analysis on why most Android phones have this issue at some point. It does seem to be less common though. My Axon 7 had those issues though where updating from 6.0 to 7.0-7.1 left the OS fucked up lol.

I have g3 that is still super fast. Never did anything to it. Still on factory software. I do not have many apps. I store everything on sd card. I would have to see what is considered lagging. My g3 is faster than my pc for browsing and watching YouTube video.

limination

Neo Member
What would you guys recommend, the Moto Z Droid or ZTE Axon 7? I'm leaning toward the Axon. Better battery, smaller bezel, better speakers, and potentially better compatibility with my carrier (Cricket). I can get either one for the same price.

I have no interest in moto mods, btw. Waaaaaay too expensive for me, though they seem neat.

Ty4on

color shift~
YHm5LeP.gif

Gives me TN vibes when looking head on and the top and bottom differ

Jeffrey

What would you guys recommend, the Moto Z Droid or ZTE Axon 7? I'm leaning toward the Axon. Better battery, smaller bezel, better speakers, and potentially better compatibility with my carrier (Cricket). I can get either one for the same price.

I have no interest in moto mods, btw. Waaaaaay too expensive for me, though they seem neat.

Maybe look at oneplus 3t as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can anyone explain to me why Google and Apple use a 'Rolodex' style overview (multitasking) screen?
Please don't say it's a performance issue
And while we're at it, why does Google no longer offer the option to show Chrome tabs in the overview screen (especially now that you can show two Chrome tabs side by side)?

Anyway here's a Blackberry KeyOne unboxing video. When do the reviews arrive?

Can anyone explain to me why Google and Apple use a 'Rolodex' style overview (multitasking) screen?

Please don't say it's a performance issue
And while we're at it, why does Google no longer offer the option to show Chrome tabs in the overview screen (especially now that you can show two Chrome tabs side by side)?

Anyway here's a Blackberry KeyOne unboxing video. When do the reviews arrive?
It's better for one handed use. That's why they do it. Hard to reach higher tiles.

Top Bottom