• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BrazilGAF |OT| of Samba, Carnaval... and letting GAF have a sample of it all!

CorvoSol

Brazil-GAF, why is your national anthem the best in the world but also the hardest to sing? We had to sing it every Sunday in the Training Center, and let me tell you, nothing made the task of learning Portuguese seem more daunting than singing that.

OH BRAZIL I MISS YOU WHY DID I HAVE TO LEAVE!?

Honestly I do think that Brazil hasn't been doing all that great in the olympics but I think the country has more things to worry about than the games right now.

Yes, but it's still awesome! and I know a great place in Ponta Grossa.

I hope they win their futbol run in London

Brazil-GAF, why is your national anthem the best in the world but also the hardest to sing? We had to sing it every Sunday in the Training Center, and let me tell you, nothing made the task of learning Portuguese seem more daunting than singing that.

I agree, the anthem is great. Can't stop humming it. From what I've read on it, it's illegal to sing some parts of it twice?

mantidor

guys...

so is Sergio Mendes not liked? he is internationally famous and for my "Garota de Ipanema" or "Magalenha" are Brasil, but very few brasilians even mention him. is like grandpas music for you guys?

Is he really that hated or unknown that he goes by unnoticed? is freaking Sergio Mendes, what the hell, even if you brasilians don't like him I'm going to quote his marvelous work, because is really great.

Garota de Ipanema

Magalenha

Mais que nada

Ezalc

Honestly I don't know that much in terms of Brazilian music since I was raised in the US. I don't even have a favorite artist from here. I need to catch up in some Brazilian bossa nova and etc for all the time I've been away.

Platy

so is Sergio Mendes not liked? he is internationally famous and for my "Garota de Ipanema" or "Magalenha" are Brasil, but very few brasilians even mention him. is like grandpas music for you guys?

"Garota de Ipanema" is NOT a song by him and his version is not even the most famous version of the song here.

I personaly only heard of him when he did the music with Black Eyed Peas, but then again i'm not exactly a huge Bossa Nova fan

Platy

I just want to say that I kinda want to kill the people behind the program Fantastico.

In the same show they had a Really good article about homophobia they show a REALLY bad article about transgender people that is the most wrong and offensive an article can be with still passing the idea that they imagined that they were doing good.

Starting an article with "Do you think this is a Man or a Woman ?", using "sex change" without mentioning ONCE that it is the worst name possible for it, using thousands of "was a man before", saying that there is a chance that there are lots of transgender on thailand BECAUSE IT IS EASY TO WIN MONEY IN PROSTITUTION, taking 1/5 of the time about people who don't want anymore and telling that there is the chance of regret it and after that telling that 41% of transgender people attempted suicide (wich most people will think it is BECAUSE of the surgery) and not even MENTIONING the HUGE news that was the fact that is not a psyquiatric condition anymore

Does people even CARE to do ANY research ?

[/rant]

Mumei

Can anyone from Brazil-GAF recommend me favorite authors (I am thinking more literary writing; whatever that means to you) who are (probably) translated into English?

red13th

Can anyone from Brazil-GAF recommend me favorite authors (I am thinking more literary writing; whatever that means to you) who are (probably) translated into English?

Guimarães Rosa (mid 20th century), The Devil to Pay in the Backlands is a classic.

The only one I could personally stand reading during school was Machado de Assis.
José de Alencar and Guimarães Rosa, were not so torturous either.
Literature classes were evil.

For poetry I'd say Cruz e Sousa and Fernando Pessoa, who was portuguese but still very important to our literary culture (and language).

mantidor

I've always mean to read Machado de Assis because I really need to improve my portuguese, but his writing is old and would probably not be a good guide to modern portuguese. However, everyone tells me that literature is a complete different deal to how people talk, and that I might not learn that much spoken portuguese that way, and that if I learn by reading I'm just going to sound odd or overly formal, is that true?

Ezalc

I've always mean to read Machado de Assis because I really need to improve my portuguese, but his writing is old and would probably not be a good guide to modern portuguese. However, everyone tells me that literature is a complete different deal to how people talk, and that I might not learn that much spoken portuguese that way, and that if I learn by reading I'm just going to sound odd or overly formal, is that true?

Honestly I feel like there's a small difference between formal and informal portuguese, at least when comparing it with something lik English where the difference is way more apparent. Then again my Portuguese sucks so I don't know if I am a good person to comment on it lol.

IceCold

Honestly I feel like there's a small difference between formal and informal portuguese, at least when comparing it with something lik English where the difference is way more apparent. Then again my Portuguese sucks so I don't know if I am a good person to comment on it lol.

I'd say there's a difference especially with informal Brazilian-Portuguese vs formal Portuguese, but this is the case with many languages, like French. I'd say the best way for Mantidor to learn spoken Portuguese is to watch movies or TV shows in the language, travel to Portuguese speaking countries or use skype with people living in such countries.

I don't think any English speaker would tell someone who wants to learn spoken English to learn by reading some Dickens lol.

mantidor

I'd say there's a difference especially with informal Brazilian-Portuguese vs formal Portuguese, but this is the case with many languages, like French. I'd say the best way for Mantidor to learn spoken Portuguese is to watch movies or TV shows in the language, travel to Portuguese speaking countries or use skype with people living in such countries.

I don't think any English speaker would tell someone who wants learn spoken English to learn by reading some Dickens lol.

heh pretty much. I do live in Brasil, so I already speak moderately well (I hope), but I want to improve it, I hate the television here but it is a good option. However, even "formal" conversations are very informal, so its a challenge, because things like newspapers are somewhat more formal, is just confusing, I guess I can go by by being informal and is not really a problem to most people, even at work.

LuuKyK

How comes your portuguese is bad if you live here? hahahha

heh pretty much. I do live in Brasil, so I already speak moderately well (I hope), but I want to improve it, I hate the television here but it is a good option. However, even "formal" conversations are very informal, so its a challenge, because things like newspapers are somewhat more formal, is just confusing, I guess I can go by by being informal and is not really a problem to most people, even at work.

Hmm. Did you try reading some websites? Something less formal than the news ones I mean.

Because really, Machado de Assis is not a good way to learn portuguese, it's a very archaic version of the language, very similar to the portuguese of Portugal. They are good books, but if you start talking with people the way you read on his books you will be laughed at. The newspapers are good tough. They are not THAT formal. Also, maybe you can read some books like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings in portuguese? Those are a good read and with an informal portuguese. Would be a nice start too.

Machado de Assis is probably the most well regarded brazilian writer. I read Brás Cubas, clever book with some very good chapters (although not the best thing I've read, as you would expect it to be based on the amount of praise he gets here). It would certainly get better if I reread it though,I feel like there was a lot I missed.

mantidor

Hmm. Did you try reading some websites? Something less formal than the news ones I mean.

Because really, Machado de Assis is not a good way to learn portuguese, it's a very archaic version of the language, very similar to the portuguese of Portugal. They are good books, but if you start talking with people the way you read on his books you will be laughed at. The newspapers are good tough. They are not THAT formal. Also, maybe you can read some books like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings in portuguese? Those are a good read and with an informal portuguese. Would be a nice start too.

Both of these are very good ideas, I'm going to read more blogs in portuguese to start.

Ezalc

How comes your portuguese is bad if you live here? hahahha

Lived in the US for 10 years (8-18) I barely ever wrote while I was there. I did talk with my parents in Portuguese but I still lost a bit of the language due to my time away, especially with writing. I hate writing in Portuguese, so many useless accents!

Question for all of you, what is your opinion of coraçãozinho? I love it, one of the best things to eat at a BBQ place. Sooo goood.

Ezalc

this thread, as beautiful as it is admittedly, severely lacks bikini pictures.

I would love this a lot, but I like this thread not being closed and having the ability to post more :D.

So, no comments about Brasileirão?

Once again, my extended stay in the US basically took away any kind of interest in state/city soccer teams. Only cheer for the national team now :p

IceCold

Lived in the US for 10 years (8-18) I barely ever wrote while I was there. I did talk with my parents in Portuguese but I still lost a bit of the language due to my time away, especially with writing. I hate writing in Portuguese, so many useless accents!

Question for all of you, what is your opinion of coraçãozinho? I love it, one of the best things to eat at a BBQ place. Sooo goood.

The accents are important though. Portuguese is a lot more phonetically rich than other languages like Spanish or Italian. Accents are sometimes the only way to know how to pronounce certain words and differentiate between words that have the same spelling but different definitions due to their pronunciation (e.g. avô vs avó). But yeah, due to them, typing in Portuguese is more of a pain in the ass than English. Although, English could have made good use of accents too since it's phonology is a bit of a mess.

Ezalc

The accents are important though. Portuguese is a lot more phonetically rich than other languages like Spanish or Italian. Accents are sometimes the only way to know how to pronounce certain words and differentiate between words that have the same spelling but different definitions due to their pronunciation (e.g. avô vs avó). But yeah, due to them, typing in Portuguese is more of a pain in the ass than English. Although, English could have made good use of accents too since it's phonology is a bit of a mess.

The fact that there are no accents in English only show that there are a lot of useless ones in Portuguese. In particular the ^ accent is basically pointless. You learn how to pronounce the word in school or from your parents. If a word is spelled the same and can result in two sentences looking the same but with different tenses, it is easy to know which way to read the word through the context. Some accents are necessary like e and é of course but there are others that don't need it at all that just make writing the word needlessly complicated. You naturally learn where to emphasize when speaking a word I don't see why you would need to make it so obvious in writing unless it's in a dictionary where it's actually something useful.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The fact that there are no accents in English only show that there are a lot of useless ones in Portuguese. In particular the ^ accent is basically pointless. You learn how to pronounce the word in school or from your parents. If a word is spelled the same and can result in two sentences looking the same but with different tenses, it is easy to know which way to read the word through the context. Some accents are necessary like e and é of course but there are others that don't need it at all that just make writing the word needlessly complicated. You naturally learn where to emphasize when speaking a word I don't see why you would need to make it so obvious in writing unless it's in a dictionary where it's actually something useful.

Portuguese accents are tame compared to some Eastern European idioms', haha.

IceCold

English is a very inconsistent language in terms of pronunciation and a bitch for non-natives to learn though.

Zeroth

First time here. Didn't knew that there were only three states in the southeast region.

Actually, there are 4 (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo), but I don't blame your for that mistake because no one really remembers about Espírito Santo.

Speaking of states, there are rumors of the southern states planning to take back Uruguay and proclaim themselves United States of South America.

I'm only half-joking

DD

Actually, there are 4 (São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo), but I don't blame your for that mistake because no one really remembers about Espírito Santo.

Speaking of states, there are rumors of the southern states planning to take back Uruguay and proclaim themselves United States of South America.

I'm only half-joking
I am from Espírito Santo, that's why I've said that. :p

People joke about the state of Acre being the end of the world, but being unknown just make them known (example: Acre is known for beein the worldwide leader in making flying saucers). But Espírito Santo is not even known for beeing unknown! o_ô We're like a matrix error.

Zeroth

People joke about the state of Acre being the end of the world, but being unknown just make them known (example: Acre is known for beein the worldwide leader in making flying saucers). But Espírito Santo is not even known for beeing unknown! o_ô We're like a matrix error.

Ah, got it :p Yeah, I always wonder about that. Everyone says how Acre doesn't exist, etc, but there are many states in Brazil that aren't mentioned anywhere. Well, being between Rio de Janeiro and Bahia (two very well-know states) surely plays some part on that :p

LuuKyK

haahahah I like your definition of it. lol

Lemming

Florianópolis-GAF! :)

fpolis.jpg

sambaew.jpg

itagua.jpg

DD

Ah, got it :p Yeah, I always wonder about that. Everyone says how Acre doesn't exist, etc, but there are many states in Brazil that aren't mentioned anywhere. Well, being between Rio de Janeiro and Bahia (two very well-know states) surely plays some part on that :p
haahahah I like your definition of it. lol

Well, since no one seems to know anything about ES, it seems it's my obligation to post some pictures here. These are some of my neighbourhood. They're fresh, I took 'em today's morning.

Praia da Costa

dsc08477idfd6.jpg

dsc085135uet4.jpg

dsc08492k9e9l.jpg

Top Bottom