• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online 11

Kirito ought to wear shorts more often, pretty memorable even if quick and kind of the only good moment in the episode. The episode was just really boring and such and felt kind of filler inspired of sorts (even that time spent with that elderly senior citizen, which I guess I didnt think people out of the 20's played SAO).

Didnt care that much for Kirito Weaksuna relations or her desire to mount him which was so awkward and an odd use of the STR Paramator.. Not really into these type of romance stories so it just didnt relate to me in anyway so I just cared nothing for it. Yui was more interesting for the sake of the fact that it feels like some glitch in the program, which I liked when the screen did that thing with the sound and what not end of episode. Though I am curious of her backstory and how she lost her memory as well as regressed to a baby. Oh and also kudos to Weaksunafor managing to not loss a match, though unfortunately if only it was a character that mattered and not a grunt at floor one in the starter town :/

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online 11

Kirito ought to wear shorts more often, pretty memorable even if quick and kind of the only good moment in the episode. The episode was just really boring and such and felt kind of filler inspired of sorts (even that time spent with that elderly senior citizen, which I guess I didnt think people out of the 20's played SAO).

Didnt care that much for Kirito Weaksuna relations or her desire to mount him which was so awkward and an odd use of the STR Paramator.. Not really into these type of romance stories so it just didnt relate to me in anyway so I just cared nothing for it. Yui was more interesting for the sake of the fact that it feels like some glitch in the program, which I liked when the screen did that thing with the sound and what not end of episode. Though I am curious of her backstory and how she lost her memory as well as regressed to a baby. Oh and also kudos to Weaksunafor managing to not loss a match, though unfortunately if only it was a character that mattered and not a grunt at floor one in the starter town :/

Weaksuna, I like that. Its a good name.

duckroll

Ikuhara directed the new Kokoro Connect ED? Lol.

feseo.jpg

Storyboard: Kunihiko Ikuhara, Tomohiro Furukawa
Direction: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Animation Director: Takashi Kojima
Key Animation: Takashi Kojima

All Penguin Drum staff.

jman2050

Saimoe Round 1 - Group H, Day 2 Results

H02
1st 197 Minko Tsurugi @ Hanasaku Iroha
2nd 179 Shouko Kirishima @ Baka To Test To Shoukanjuu
3rd 82 Kirie Konoe @ Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia

H06
1st 244 Nano Shinonome @ Nichijou
2nd 124 Henrietta De Tristain @ Zero's Familiar
3rd 119 Ako Shirabe @ Suite Pretty Cure

H10
1st 209 Elucia De Lute Irma @ The World God Only Knows
2nd 198 Kana Ikeda @ Saki
3rd 112 Eucliwood Hellscythe @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?

-----------------------------

Today's match preview
Mayaka's time to shine.

Not with Poplar domination to worry about.

All Penguin Drum staff.

wait, Kokoro Connect is even staff whores approved now?

Can't wait to start the show in the time between the old and the new season.

SAO 11

Did Asuna grow randomly this eps? Seems a lot... bigger this eps?

And I would have liked the eps more... if there wasn't that
retarded loli

trejo

Hyouka 21

That was okay, I guess. As usual, Valentine's day chocolate is some super serious business.

I gotta say Fukube comes up with some pretty nonsensical reasoning. Mayaka is most definitely too good for that idiot.

Jarmel

Banned

All Penguin Drum staff.

Lol what? Didn't expect that. There are definitely some amazing sequences in there so my hat goes off to Ikuhara for that. The symbolism also makes perfect sense for him.

Damn this show has been the sleeper hit of the season for me and this amazing ED is the icing on the cake.

If that's
Inaba's
hand, then yes, that would easily be the best choice.

Yep, her right hand.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
To a certain extent, I can't wait until SAO is over because at least then everyone will shut the hell up about it.

The discussion is often cyclical, but I try not to begrudge anyone their right to discuss what they enjoy here at any length at which they wish to discuss it.

Dat familiar was the only pillar of support she got and the only way of relieve stress she had ( by talking to him ). You bet she got attached.

As long as the floors are accesible , anyone can visit . There is usually an event when a new floor get accesible where many players go to the new floor to see it ( as the town are safe zones ) and then go back to their hunting grounds . after the few days , the new town is populated by the front liners

Kirito is a solo player , he need at least that kind of ressourcefullness to survive by itself otherwise it wouldn't be believable at all

Kirito being a solo player is fairly dull in and of itself, though. It gives the show an easy way to flush other characters down the drain at will and because Kirito himself isn't a compelling character, the show should be extra-reliant on building up a colorful permanent supporting cast but apart from what I presume are the eventual waifus I don't see it happening.

About Pena, the episode didn't depict it as being particularly pet-like so I personally have a hard time seeing it as a significant loss beyond its utility as something that can regenerate HP, but I guess people do keep birds and snakes and fish as pets and those are basically vegetables with a nervous system that offer nothing in terms of companionship so everyone's different, I guess.

Come on bro, Lord of the Flies and shit.

bububu anime is supposed to be a perfect utopian vision of society or something

Right, I think there's nothing inherently ridiculous about people killing each other despite the fact that if they all cooperated they'd all benefit. It would be odd if they didn't.

I wasn't stating the presence of PKs as a criticism, of course the whole spectrum of human nature is going to be brought out by present circumstances. It was just a statement of "wow, these people are morons", nothing more.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sword Art Online 11

I never asked for this...

[Sword Art Online] - 4

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this episode was designed to cater to people who are sexually aroused by 'little sisters' getting nailed by their big brothers. I find that to be most unwholesome.

People who are fans of this must, therefore, be perverts. I'm looking at you, Silica fans.

I suppose it is impressive that they can cram this many varieties of otaku-bait into a single series. Everyone gets a chance to have their particular niche catered to.

No, because Silica is a little girl.

Yes. Silica fans are sickening.

Ginga e Kickoff 18
tumblr_m9ilelBEyW1r4xmkko1_250.jpg

The triplets are just so great together, used to favor Kota, but Ouzou and Ryouji are also great too.

Whoa, whoa whoa whoa whoa, whoa whoa whoa...but am so glad to have this back in the line up, definitely complements Area no Kishi so well, Yoi, the Big Three and the Demon Triplets, and even the 3U (Reverse Three), and some Kota/Aoto, Im so pleased.

Ah and Ryouji's own goals never gets old, I find them interesting! Wonder how the match against Heavenly will play out, they seemed stunned by Aoto's abilities.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange - 22

Dude. Holy shit this episode. Not only was the story progression really awesome, but this episode really delivered on the entire audio/visual package. Dat art! Dat music! One of the more outstanding episodes in the series for me so far incorporating all those elements. Superb all around!

One thing I really love this season is that instead of trying to incorporate all the elements they wanted to in every single episode, they've taken way better care of separating the SoL and Action/Battle/Fuckawesome stuff, giving them each fair breath, and resulting in a lot less disjointedness on an episode-by-episode basis.

Good stuff all around this season, and I love robots fighting.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
https://twitter.com/n_shiotani/status/247059049097621504

Director Shiotani was talking up the world design in Psycho-Pass and how exciting it is, and he mentions that the art setting design is being led by Shuichi Hirata. He is one of the art department veterans at Production IG, and the art director of Metropolis, both Ghost in the Shell movies, and the recent Musashi movie by Oshii.

Sounds perfect for the seedy urban environments that the show will (presumably) frequently take place in.

Andrew J.

Sword Art Online 11

As I recall, last week Jexhius said that Eureka Seven AO 19 was an episode where a bunch of stuff happened. He meant it disparagingly, but I personally like it when things happen in a story. This week's SAO has just confirmed for me that an episode where stuff happens is infinitely preferable to an episode where nothing happens.

Jarmel

Banned

Director Shiotani was talking up the world design in Psycho-Pass and how exciting it is, and he mentions that the art setting design is being led by Shuichi Hirata. He is one of the art department veterans at Production IG, and the art director of Metropolis, both Ghost in the Shell movies, and the recent Musashi movie by Oshii.

I'm not familiar enough with his work to comment if this is a positive or not. He does seem to have extensive experience though and seeing some screenshots seem to imply that he's pretty good at 'making' a city. I do think some of the larger shots and background art will almost certainly be fantastic, the big question again goes back to the character designs and animation.

I also wonder if this could be taken as an implication of the production values they are going for as it seems Hirata mainly works with movies.

I wish I spoke Japanese so I could ask if Syd Mead was an influence in regards to the setting or tone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

All Penguin Drum staff.

The ED was basically out of Pendrum anyway.

/XX/

So there are really Production I.G veterans involved on this after all! Going all out I see...

I wish I spoke Japanese so I could ask if Syd Mead was an influence in regards to the setting or tone.
Syd Mead should be/is an influence to anyone dealing with designs for settings showing a rendition of the future.

Branduil

Birdy the Mighty:Decode 02 - 7

iuDioTBQdPMSp.gif

Well, that was probably the best episode of this entire series so far.

Birdy, and by extension, the alien federation, really is far more interesting than any of the earth-bound characters. And it's not just because the scenario and characters are far more intriguing than on Earth, although that's true; the alien world is well-designed and is just more fun to look at.

It makes me wish we could get a good sci-fi show unchained from the strictures of high school life.

/XX/

http://i.minus.com/iuDioTBQdPMSp.gif

Well, that was probably the best episode of this entire series so far.
TBD2 - animatic 04 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM17EQOM5E0

It was such a bold attempt to stand out giving liberties to the animators as well. It is a shame that they had to backtrack and "correct" some of that for the digital disc release after the bickering. I remember seeing image comparisons between the more 'extreme' cuts and the 'softened' version. It was in part, only in part a good change but... it maybe wasn't the intended result.

Now that I see videos of the later release (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSDtH67q7E) I think it wasn't as modified as I previously thought. Good to know.

Branduil

TBD2 - animatic 04 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM17EQOM5E0

It was such a bold attempt to stand out giving liberties to the animators as well. It is a shame that they had to backtrack and "correct" some of that for the digital disc release after the bickering. I remember seeing image comparisons between the more 'extreme' cuts and the 'softened' version. It was in part, only in part a good change but... it maybe wasn't the intended result.

Now that I see videos of the later release (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgSDtH67q7E) I think it wasn't as modified as I previously thought. Good to know.

It still looked pretty stylish to me. It's been a while since I've seen images from the TV airing, but I seem to remember that looked almost abstract in some cases.

/XX/

That's like all he does in between major productions. That and weird manga/LN projects that get scrapped and/or go untranslated.
Yeah. And still waiting for this (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30219016&postcount=16081). I only want a re-edition at this moment, not even a translation now, nothing more than a simple new edition.

It still looked pretty stylish to me. It's been a while since I've seen images from the TV airing, but I seem to remember that looked almost abstract in some cases.
Of course it did. 'True art', man...
don't take this seriously, please.

Kuroko's Basketball 24
tumblr_maew88UqHU1r877bvo1_500.gif

Kise's really great and I like how theyve given him extensive focus. That was a really great episode. I really hope Kise and his team manage to pull through and win but this episode had so many shocking moments. May have to give the last three episodes a quick run through again once its over.
I liked how they did this part right near when he nearly mastered a copy of Aomine. Kise is really epic.
Will legit cry if Kise loses and what not, final episode cant come soon enough.

Soma

Kokoro Kinect Episode 11

D'awww. That was pretty cute.

Not gonna lie I'm kind of liking where this arc is going. Of course relevant issues just happen to pop up as soon as this new power is introduced but I think it's got potential. Good to see Aoki finally get some sort of focus too. At this point, to me
Inaba X Taichi
is pretty much set in stone and I feel like there's gonna be a definite jumping off point in this arc where that development will smoothly transition into that. Pretty good episode and I really like the new ED/OP.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think the original broadcast version conveys a better sense of
muddled flashback of memories

That's why the abstract art & animation works. In any case, I think there are valid cases to be made for the superiority of both the broadcast and DVD version. Don't let the cries of those whose delicate sensibilities are offended by the abstract animation in the original version convince you that the broadcast version is a waste.

wonzo

Banned

That's why the abstract art & animation works. In any case, I think there are valid cases to be made for the superiority of both the broadcast and DVD version. Don't let the cries of those whose delicate sensibilities are offended by the abstract animation in the original version convince you that the broadcast version is a waste.
Did they include the broadcast version on the R2 DVD's?

Branduil

I don't have a problem with that in theory, but I think it'd need to be more consistently applied if that's what they were going for. Birdy is a narrative work, so part of the animation director's job is to make sure the visuals serve the story. I think the DVD version does a better job of balancing consistency and still giving the animators freedom. This works especially well in the scene where
Birdy goes berserk
because the looser animation mirrors Birdy's state of mind.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't have a problem with that in theory, but I think it'd need to be more consistently applied if that's what they were going for. Birdy is a narrative work, so part of the animation director's job is to make sure the visuals serve the story. I think the DVD version does a better job of balancing consistency and still giving the animators freedom. This works especially well in the scene where
Birdy goes berserk
Yeah, that's why I agree there's a case for the DVD version. It's too drastic a shift in visual style, but I think it worked in the context of the episode, narratively even.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Birdy goes berserk
You're not supposed to actually have your own opinion on this. Just nod your head, marvel at their creative genius, and pat yourself on the back for being one of the rare few enlightened enough to appreciate it.

/XX/

Hmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vi-GRL7qPs

I think I'm okay with them fixing this scene.
I'm O.K. with that, but you can't fix what ain't broken. In my opinion change would be a more appropriate word.

Valid point to me you raised here, and I'm glad you said this, pizzaroll.

Birdy goes berserk
Yeah, it all comes down to what their original intentions for this were. Seeing the opinions of the staff involved would be nice, because sometimes you can take what you ultimately want as what is learned or conveyed from any experience like this one.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You're not supposed to actually have your own opinion on this. Just nod your head, marvel at their creative genius, and pat yourself on the back for being one of the rare few enlightened enough to appreciate it.
Yeah, it's not like I said their were valid points for both versions of it even if I prefer one myself. Because saying that it shouldn't be discounted entirely (which is what you do) is equivalent to "YOU MUST LIKE THIS I AM RIGHT" -- not, perhaps, that maybe there are merits to that one version of the episode that put it over the other for me, but in there are reasons to prefer the other version as well, and that the preference is subjective and liking either is valid?

Please keep your selective-reading-induced projection to yourself.

Kazzy

K-ON!! Episode 1

QlGLz.jpg

The more things change...

Good opening episode, and it contained quite a few of those idle moments that KyoAni seem to do so well. Yui featured heavily in this regard, both in the opening scene, with her practising alone in the music room, as well as the shots of her stopping to gather the cherry blossoms. There was a nice sense of melancholy throughout the episode, with there being notice given to the fleetingness of their time spent together. The end of the first season gave a little indication that the show can get serious when it wants to, and it seems like that carries over here.

K-ON! has always been a ridiculously pretty show to look at, but I'm noticing an animation bump between the seasons, which they seem all too aware of, highlighting this very fact with the flashback scene to the original freshman concert.

For as big a franchise as this is, its remarkably breezy in terms of its pacing. It's crazy to think that the original line-up is already in their third and final high-school year, where it could have been so tempting to otherwise drag the series on.

ErDkh.jpg

I just thought this was a nice shot.

By all accounts, this is the superior of the two seasons, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play around with the greater freedom here.

Also I may have missed it, but this may have been the only episode (based in the school) that there wasn't a transition shot showing the school statue.

I'm not sold on the new OP/ED'S yet.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Rinne no Lagrange - 22

Dude. Holy shit this episode. Not only was the story progression really awesome, but this episode really delivered on the entire audio/visual package. Dat art! Dat music! One of the more outstanding episodes in the series for me so far incorporating all those elements. Superb all around!

One thing I really love this season is that instead of trying to incorporate all the elements they wanted to in every single episode, they've taken way better care of separating the SoL and Action/Battle/Fuckawesome stuff, giving them each fair breath, and resulting in a lot less disjointedness on an episode-by-episode basis.

Good stuff all around this season, and I love robots fighting.

So... It got better, huh?

Good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom