• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Fredrik
Banned
(10-10-2017, 05:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Colbert

Interesting tidbit. The Xbox One X version we currently use as a base for all the comparisons is alpha code!

Where did you hear that?? The game is already looking amazing as it is
Colbert
Member
(10-10-2017, 09:25 PM)
Colbert's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fredrik

Where did you hear that?? The game is already looking amazing as it is

Dev interview.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(10-10-2017, 09:48 PM)
Oblivion's Avatar

Why does the PS4 Pro version look so blurry and lack as much detail as the Xbox1X? I thought PS4 Pro was supposed to be significantly more powerful a system?
Rellik
Banned
(10-10-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Why does the PS4 Pro version look so blurry and lack as much detail as the X1S? I thought PS4 Pro was supposed to be significantly more powerful a system?

I think it's your eyes that are blurry. It says X not S.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(10-10-2017, 10:01 PM)
Oblivion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rellik

I think it's your eyes that are blurry. It says X not S.

Okay, I got the wrong model, but the original question still stands.
Orca
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:03 PM)
Orca's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Why does the PS4 Pro version look so blurry and lack as much detail as the Xbox1X? I thought PS4 Pro was supposed to be significantly more powerful a system?

It's more powerful than the Xbox One or S, but it's not as powerful as the Xbox One X.
EvB
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:03 PM)
EvB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Okay, I got the wrong model, but the original question still stands.

Xbox One X is significantly more powerful than PS4 Pro, which is why it looks better.

Also the screenshot is at native 4K vs a checkerboard render in that picture.
Qassim
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:04 PM)
Qassim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Okay, I got the wrong model, but the original question still stands.

Well then, no - the Xbox One X is a fair chunk more powerful than the PS4 Pro.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(10-10-2017, 10:05 PM)
Oblivion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orca

It's more powerful than the Xbox One or S, but it's not as powerful as the Xbox One X.

Originally Posted by EvB

Xbox One X is significantly more powerful than PS4 Pro, which is why it looks better.

Oh shit, really? Guess I'm out of the loop.
Dictator93
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:09 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Colbert

Dev interview.

Whicg one? Link please ! :D
shandy706
Member
(10-10-2017, 10:18 PM)
shandy706's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Oh shit, really? Guess I'm out of the loop.

Must have fell off the loop and got lost for a few months.

Just picking, haha.
Colbert
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:48 PM)
Colbert's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

Whicg one? Link please ! :D

You lazy bastards ;)

https://www.dualshockers.com/rise-of...e-x-interview/
mocoworm
ignore my opinion
on everything ever
(10-11-2017, 05:08 PM)
mocoworm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Colbert

You lazy bastards ;)

https://www.dualshockers.com/rise-of...e-x-interview/


Cannot wait!

"Interestingly, the version that is being currently showcased is still alpha code, and developers are continuing to improve it. Crystal Dynamics believes the game will be an “incredibly rich, very vibrant and beautiful looking world, and the best-looking version of Lara when it releases on November 7th” because what we’re seeing today isn’t even the final code, and developers are continuing to add polish to it."

Interestingly, Brigs doesn’t think there really were any specific challenges in creating the Xbox One X version. The team at Crystal Dynamics worked really closely with Nixxes, and he never heard about any blockers from them.

That being said, there were challenges that developers set for themselves, like how to get Lara’s cinematic hair on her 3D model at all times through the game. The increased memory allowed them to achieve it. Basically, Lara’s hair will look as it does in the cutscenes all the time.

Briggs believes that it’a difficult to predict whether the era of consoles generations has ended, replaced by incremental console updates. That said, he’d be surprised if this current trend did not continue. He feels that consoles are getting closer to the PC landscape allowing players to feel like they’re constantly on the cutting edge of tech, and to have something for everyone with different models. According to Briggs this is working really well, and he feels that it’s going to continue.

Christocolus
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:16 PM)
Christocolus's Avatar

Originally Posted by mocoworm

Cannot wait!

Nice
KageMaru
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:37 PM)
KageMaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Colbert

You lazy bastards ;)

https://www.dualshockers.com/rise-of...e-x-interview/

Thanks. I really hope they bring HDR support to the other versions. There's no reason it shouldn't appear on the PS4 and PC.
jelly
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:44 PM)
Kinda wish they would go back to TR2013 and give that a brush up as well.
Space_nut
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:50 PM)
Space_nut's Avatar

Originally Posted by mocoworm

Cannot wait!

Omg the cinamatic cutscenes hair is going to be used in game 100%!!!!!

O.o this gun be good
FZW
Member
(10-11-2017, 06:38 PM)
FZW's Avatar

Originally Posted by KageMaru

Thanks. I really hope they bring HDR support to the other versions. There's no reason it shouldn't appear on the PS4 and PC.

It's possible that there are technical reasons HDR isn't on PS4.
KageMaru
Member
(10-11-2017, 08:00 PM)
KageMaru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Space_nut

Omg the cinamatic cutscenes hair is going to be used in game 100%!!!!!

O.o this gun be good

This isn't really that big of a deal. The difference in quality isn't that noticeable when you're playing.

Originally Posted by FZW

It's possible that there are technical reasons HDR isn't on PS4.

It's possible but highly unlikely. It's definitely possible on the PC.
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(10-11-2017, 08:03 PM)
DR2K's Avatar
I don’t remember the PS4 pro version being that blurry. Of course I played it on a 1080p set.
Lady Gaia
Member
(10-11-2017, 08:26 PM)
Lady Gaia's Avatar

Originally Posted by EvB

Also the screenshot is at native 4K vs a checkerboard render in that picture.

Those aren’t typical checkerboard artifacts. I wish I could remember or find definitive proof offhand, but I thought RotR ran at 1800p checkerboarded and scaled, which would add some softness. More importantly:

“the Gamescom build of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X runs with depth of field disabled, giving the illusion of further detail resolved in the scene even though it's an important effect in the post-process pipeline that has actually been removed (for now, at least).”

If this scene is supposed to use soft focus on Lara then complaining about the lack of crisp detail is silly. Some of the comparisons done turned off depth of field on the PC to try to compare with the Xbox One X version, not to demonstrate the superiority of the two to the intended effect.
Colbert
Member
(10-11-2017, 11:50 PM)
Colbert's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lady Gaia

Those aren’t typical checkerboard artifacts. I wish I could remember or find definitive proof offhand, but I thought RotR ran at 1800p checkerboarded and scaled, which would add some softness. More importantly:

“the Gamescom build of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X runs with depth of field disabled, giving the illusion of further detail resolved in the scene even though it's an important effect in the post-process pipeline that has actually been removed (for now, at least).”

If this scene is supposed to use soft focus on Lara then complaining about the lack of crisp detail is silly. Some of the comparisons done turned off depth of field on the PC to try to compare with the Xbox One X version, not to demonstrate the superiority of the two to the intended effect.

RotTR runs in 3 modes on the Pro: high-res Mode with 2160c, enriched with 1080p and performance with 1080p where the Xbox one X version will run high-res with native 2160p, enriched with 2160c and performance with 1080p.
Lady Gaia
Member
(10-12-2017, 06:27 AM)
Lady Gaia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Colbert

RotTR runs in 3 modes on the Pro: high-res Mode with 2160c, enriched with 1080p and performance with 1080p where the Xbox one X version will run high-res with native 2160p, enriched with 2160c and performance with 1080p.

In that case it seems likely the difference is largely due to depth of field effects, though lower resolution textures could also be a contributing factor. Even in worst-case scenarios you shouldn’t see images that soft from 2160c.
Liliana Eileen
Banned
(10-13-2017, 03:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Oh shit, really? Guess I'm out of the loop.

You seriously thought that? 😂

Thread Tools