• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Blizzard
Nicest LoL player, tallest midget
(10-12-2017, 07:08 AM)
Tech I never knew about: You can carry a green shell up a vine by throwing it upwards and having it touch you as you climb. You'll then either carry or kick it when you climb off the vine.
KeRaSh
(10-12-2017, 07:17 AM)
Damnit, seeing all these orb glitches makes me want to revisit the game and go for it myself...
Blizzard
(10-12-2017, 08:53 AM)
Without even using save states, I just got 8 flowers in the bonus game, so I'm finally remembering the timing. Sadly the middle item was a mushroom. Even more sadly, lives are meaningless without using save states. :P
nabe_shogun
(10-12-2017, 08:59 AM)
Still working towards 96 exits. Taking longer than I thought. Though I am trying to do it the suggested intended way and saving the switch palaces for last.
Blizzard
(10-12-2017, 09:01 AM)

Originally Posted by nabe_shogun

Still working towards 96 exits. Taking longer than I thought. Though I am trying to do it the suggested intended way and saving the switch palaces for last.

I don't think that way is intended, it's just Cyan torturing us because he hates everything good and right. :(

*edit* The forest fortress in particular is one giant series of "screw you" scenarios after another without the switches.
Last edited by Blizzard; 10-12-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Beren the Empty-Handed
(10-12-2017, 09:02 AM)

Nah. The game throws the Yellow Switch at you right away.
Barrylocke
(10-12-2017, 12:10 PM)

I believe in you! How many exits have you done? How far along are you?
neoemonk
(10-12-2017, 01:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Blizzard

Without even using save states, I just got 8 flowers in the bonus game, so I'm finally remembering the timing. Sadly the middle item was a mushroom. Even more sadly, lives are meaningless without using save states. :P

This is one thing I really like about the Virtual Console version. I can exit to the Wii menu and it creates a save state, so playing through the game is just one continuous playthrough.

Except for the few times where I turned the Wii off directly before exiting to the menu...

BRING ON SUPER PUNCH OUT! I'm more excited than I probably should be for the next challenge to begin.
Beren the Empty-Handed
(10-12-2017, 01:58 PM)
Hopefully I can finish up Yoshi's Island before the Super Punch-Out challenges go up. I still got a couple of days...
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(10-12-2017, 04:34 PM)
Stuck on 94 exits and I can't find the two I didn't do.

Kinsei
(10-12-2017, 04:36 PM)

Originally Posted by alr1ght

Try Forest Ghost House and Valley Ghost House. If they aren;t there then try and get all of the normal exits in Star Road.
nabe_shogun
(10-12-2017, 05:24 PM)

*edit* The forest fortress in particular is one giant series of "screw you" scenarios after another without the switches.

lol, thats actually the one I'm having trouble with right now.

Originally Posted by Barrylocke

I believe in you! How many exits have you done? How far along are you?

I don't remember the number, but I just beat all of forest of illusion except for the forest fortress. And I'm trying to fully beat every area before moving on, mostly so I don't forget one.
alr1ght
(10-12-2017, 05:57 PM)
Is there any yellow levels that are skippable? I swear I've done all of the alternate exits.
RockmanBN
(10-12-2017, 06:23 PM)
Don't think my edit earlier counted for the postcard. Had the 96 exits.

#morton
#luigi
alr1ght
(10-12-2017, 08:33 PM)
I deed it. One of the ones I was missing was the Forest Ghost House. The other may have been the regular exit for it (if that was possible), I don't know.

Played it on VC/CRT, but did use the new controller from the mini

#morton
#luigi
spad3
(10-12-2017, 08:47 PM)
About halfway there.

I finished Star Road and the 8 Special Stages before even getting anywhere near Bowser. Found the first Star Road entrance in Donut Plains, used the secret exits to get around Star Road and up into the Special Zone, now going back to finish the rest of the game to get to Bowser.
Barrylocke
(10-12-2017, 09:15 PM)

lol, thats actually the one I'm having trouble with right now.

I don't remember the number, but I just beat all of forest of illusion except for the forest fortress. And I'm trying to fully beat every area before moving on, mostly so I don't forget one.

Without switches, you need to balance when to hold back and when to rush past the jumps in the first area. If you can finish the 1st area, you're basically done with the hard part!
KayMote
(10-12-2017, 10:50 PM)
I am sitting at 93 exits right now, after beating Bowser. I entered through the back door, so should I beat him again using the main entrance now to get another exit done? Does beating Bowser even count towards the exit counter? Since I had to reset the console after the credits, I'm not sure it does.

Also, what the hell happened with my game? I just beat the Special World for the very first time and suddenly the look of the overworld changed?
Kinsei
(10-12-2017, 10:54 PM)

Originally Posted by KayMote

I am sitting at 93 exits right now, after beating Bowser. I entered through the back door, so should I beat him again using the main entrance now to get another exit done? Does beating Bowser even count towards the exit counter? Since I had to reset the console after the credits, I'm not sure it does.

Also, what the hell happened with my game? I just beat the Special World for the very first time and suddenly the look of the overworld changed?

Nah, the final level doesn't count towards the exit count.

Time changed from summer to fall. Some of the enemies also change like the koopas wearing Halloween costumes and the piranha plants being replaced with jack o lanterns.
jholmes
(10-12-2017, 11:01 PM)

That's very much not the intended way but getting all exits except the switch palaces is a really neat challenge. There are some exits you have to be crafty about and some levels, especially some of the castles, become a lot harder. I've done these no-palace 100% runs twice and they're a great way to ramp up the difficulty.

Me, I just gotta clear out Valley of Bowser to get 96*, I didn't think I would bother but what can I say, I know the game well and I still love it.
Blizzard
(10-12-2017, 11:17 PM)
People aren't beating Bowser both ways? That's lame, you gotta swing both ways.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(10-13-2017, 12:34 AM)
Anyone ever watch the Super Mario World cartoon? It gets less attention than the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon or the Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon but it's still pretty good 80s cheese. I loved the theme song as a kid. The animation is so bad. It uses the music directly from the game, which is awesome. To me the cool thing about it is that it tries to take all of the mechanics of the game as canon in the world of the cartoon so a lot of the scenarios make no sense except in game logic.

Here's a playlist of all the episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgS...9A88911148633F

"Send in the Clowns" is the episode I remember the most.

The complete series is $6.83 on DVD:
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-W...dp/B00DOZRSPI/
SparksterMeta0
(10-13-2017, 02:03 AM)

#morton

Been putting this off for so long, I doubt I can do the second goal. So I did the Star Road run to get it out of the way.
Last edited by SparksterMeta0; 10-13-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(10-13-2017, 02:14 AM)

Originally Posted by SparksterMeta0

Been putting this off for so long, I doubt I can do the second goal. So I did the Star Road run to get it out of the way.

You can always do it later. There's no strict timeline. The club will be focusing on a new game in a few days but you can still turn in older goals!
SparksterMeta0
(10-13-2017, 02:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

You can always do it later. There's no strict timeline. The club will be focusing on a new game in a few days but you can still turn in older goals!

Oh OK. Thanks.
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 02:38 AM)
I have 70 stars including half the special world, and no switches. I -might- make 96 in time, but the later levels become really annoying.
Barrylocke
(10-13-2017, 02:41 AM)

I have 70 stars including half the special world, and no switches. I -might- make 96 in time, but the later levels become really annoying.

Just 22 more! Keep it up! Did you beat the Forest Fortress?
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Barrylocke

Just 22 more! Keep it up! Did you beat the Forest Fortress?

Yeah, I just have 5 special worlds and the hell that is chocolate land + bowser's valley + both bowser's castle entrances to go.
Pellegri Testament
(10-13-2017, 03:34 AM)

Yeah, I just have 5 special worlds and the hell that is chocolate land + bowser's valley + both bowser's castle entrances to go.

Bowser's castle doesn't actually count for anything other than beating the game, you don't get a star for either entrance.
QFNS
(10-13-2017, 03:40 AM)
I assume that it's cool to keep posting to here even when the game club moves on to the next game? Or will the thread stay the same and the title will just update?
Dad
(10-13-2017, 03:42 AM)
Are Yoshi's orange arms some sort of SNES color palette limitation? Because they make me irrationally upset
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Pellegri Testament

Bowser's castle doesn't actually count for anything other than beating the game, you don't get a star for either entrance.

Yeah but I have to beat both to prove myself.
TheUnknownForce
(10-13-2017, 05:53 AM)
Cape makes the first goal and most of the second rather easy. I had trouble with some Special world and later Bowser stages, but otherwise, it was a solid romp. Never got the 96 exit before, so that's cool. My brother also did it, too.

Screenshot:

#morton
#luigi
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 06:18 AM)
Going for 96 exits has made me detest a whole bunch of things in the game.

I hate:
  • Pretty much any water level.
  • Pretty much any ghost level.
  • Any autoscrolling level.
  • Any ice floor level.
  • Any time a charging chuck shows up in all his various forms.
  • Yoshi's AI forcing him to race for the nearest pit while simultaneously giving you instant damage due to whatever hit you.
  • That you can't disable the top-of-screen item drop, since special levels essentially require perfection or you're guaranteed to lose BOTH items because the second item drops even if you were going to lose the level anyway.
  • Cyan for forcing me to do the no-switch route.

I shall become a bitter old man whenever I remember this game now. :P
Geraldo_Ray
(10-13-2017, 06:22 AM)
Note to self, don't quote or edit posts to get stamps. Really screwed that up.

#luigi

People aren't beating Bowser both ways? That's lame, you gotta swing both ways.

I did. Went through the back door (didn't know this was a thing until now) during my 96 exit run, then went through the front when using the orb glitch.
Cyan
Red
(10-13-2017, 06:45 AM)

• Cyan for forcing me to do the no-switch route.

<3
Watcher of the Skies
(10-13-2017, 06:54 AM)
Just finished the game still one of the best.
#morton
Kinsei
(10-13-2017, 07:06 AM)

Going for 96 exits has made me detest a whole bunch of things in the game.

I hate:

• Pretty much any water level.
  • Pretty much any ghost level.

I shall become a bitter old man whenever I remember this game now. :P

:( I love both of those level types.
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 07:06 AM)
I'm calling it a night at 76 because Wendy's castle is too much of a pain to continue. That should be 12 valley exits, 4 special levels, and 4 switches remaining.

Originally Posted by Kinsei

:( I love both of those level types.

Then do I ever have a level for you! :P
shaneskim
(10-13-2017, 07:16 AM)

Originally Posted by alr1ght

Try choco island 2 (I think). It has two regular exits and one secret one depending on the time you take and the coins you collect.

Each star road has two exits.
Blizzard
(10-13-2017, 07:23 AM)

Originally Posted by shaneskim

Try choco island 2 (I think). It has two regular exits and one secret one depending on the time you take and the coins you collect.

I thought that choco island level only has 1 regular exit and 1 secret exit, and either giant gate gives you the same outcome? I could be wrong though.
Barrylocke
(10-13-2017, 07:40 AM)

Originally Posted by shaneskim

Choco Island 2 only has 2 exits, the regular one and the secret one based on time/coins.
lsslave
Jew Gamer
(10-13-2017, 07:54 AM)
Two more days until Super Punch Out!

I've practiced a little while waiting and playing Secret of Mana. Might just full replay SoM again when the time comes for that (or not with the remake coming out. Please Lord don't let it suck)

Waiting for the official SoM thread but I'm compiling a few notes to help first timers through the game. Not sure if we have any, but boy are they in for a hell of an adventure and possibly the best OST in gaming history!
traveler
Not Wario
(10-13-2017, 08:20 AM)

#morton

This was my first ever playthrough of the game. I've played bits and pieces in the past and completed literally every other Mario platformer (aside from maybe Land 1?) yet despite growing up with and loving the series, somehow never got around to finishing this one.

While I still prefer the pure platforming of 3 more and the creativity of Yoshi's Island more- its two nearest relatives by release date- there's a lot I didn't appreciate here in the past that I see now. The sense of exploration feels makes the game almost feel like a 2d predecessor to 64 and Sunshine, with exits standing in place of stars or shines. The game has a great difficulty curve that starts out easier but much more regularly climbs in difficulty than modern Mario efforts. Finally got the hang of the cape and it's not as "skip level" as I recall criticizing it as before. Most levels either account for the fact that you can have a cape and block you, or make it part of the challenge of finding a secret exit. It's definitely a worthy addition to the stable of mario powerups.

Really enjoyed this. I'll dive back in for the secret exits now. Still got a long way to go on those. Depending on how much time I have after doing those, may shoot for the glitch objective too. Thanks for putting this together Stump
RaginRoss
(10-13-2017, 10:22 AM)

Done! #luigi

Such an incredible game.

Last exit I needed was the secret on Valley Ghost House that takes you to Larry's castle. Took a good few trips around the entire world map to figure out that was where it was.
Randam
(10-13-2017, 12:33 PM)
Stuck at 95 exists.

Did Bowser from front and back door.
Do you have to reset after the credits?
Robin64
(10-13-2017, 12:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Randam

Stuck at 95 exists.

Nope. They don't even count as exits, I got *96 before killing Bowser in either door.

I would suggest beat all the Star Road levels again the normal way, and giving Forest of Illusion another once over. Several levels there make the same path appear.
jennetics
(10-13-2017, 02:43 PM)
I've never beaten a side scrolling Mario game in my life, and I've never played Super Mario World before this. I hate to admit it but this game is kicking my ass!
RaginRoss
(10-13-2017, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Randam

Stuck at 95 exists.

You got Top Secret Area, above the Donut Ghost House?

Final one for me as I'd mentioned above was Valley Ghost House to Larry's Castle. Got that?
Vuapol
(10-13-2017, 07:41 PM)
I played the hell outta Super Mario World Advance as a kid. This was a nice trip down memory lane, though I definitely flew through this quicker now than back then for obvious reasons. However, so many of the secret exits are so dastardly. I don't like how completing the game effectively bricks the save state, I enjoyed being able to keep track of my play time. Had to continue on with a new one. Still an incredibly fun game and one of the best controlling platformers out there.

Still prefer Yoshi's Island. ;)

#morton
#luigi