• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

danowat
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:11 PM)
danowat's Avatar
Kind of bad is an understatement for some of the bag of nails I've driven in PCars2!
pappakenoo
Junior Member
(09-23-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by kamspy

In heavy rain you don't want to use full acceleration. Try to feather the gas pedal (or trigger) and you'll find yourself keeping up with the traffic.

If you're using a controller, you'll want to turn the throttle deadzone down to about 2.

I'm using a wheel. And taking it reeeeeeally easy on the throttle it still throws the car all over the track. On a straight, at 60 mph. It feels more like driving on ice.

I'll try some more cars to see if it's just the Aston Martins acting up. I've never had this much trouble driving on a wet surface in any other racing sim. And I have tried most of them.
Bollocks
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:13 PM)
Bollocks's Avatar
Any wheel recommendations?
I want to, no I need to go all in.
FrankCanada97
Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
(09-23-2017, 10:14 PM)
FrankCanada97's Avatar
I still don't get how the online reputation works. Last night I was F1450, but when I logged in today it somehow went back to U1553. Then I drove one perfectly clean race and it changed to U1559. I still don't know if I am supposed to aim for a high or low number. The page detailing this feature on the website was vague.
danowat
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:17 PM)
danowat's Avatar

Originally Posted by pappakenoo

I'm using a wheel. And taking it reeeeeeally easy on the throttle it still throws the car all over the track. On a straight, at 60 mph. It feels more like driving on ice.

I'll try some more cars to see if it's just the Aston Martins acting up. I've never had this much trouble driving on a wet surface in any other racing sim. And I have tried most of them.

There is something up with the tyre physics somewhere, pretty sure I read on the forum that snow tyres were broken and need to be patched, wouldn't be surprised if rain tyres had issues too.
Bydobob
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:22 PM)
Bydobob's Avatar

Originally Posted by DivineRage002

G27 user here, I set the ffb to immersive, left everything by default and it's pretty good so far!

Thanks, confirms what I'm hearing elsewhere. I spent almost as much time faffing with the wheel as I did car setups in the first game.
Klocker
(09-23-2017, 10:26 PM)
Klocker's Avatar
i have to say, the sense of speed at Indy is the best I have ever seen, they nailed it.

it finally feels a little of what it might kind of be like. haha

but man, especially if you switch to bonnet cam at 115* fov
terrible
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:28 PM)
terrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bollocks

Any wheel recommendations?
I want to, no I need to go all in.

Thrustmaster T300 or TX with T3PA pedals vs G29. Those seem to be the most popular options. You'll need to buy a shifter as well if you want one unless you get a bundle that comes with one.

Originally Posted by Klocker

i have to say, the sense of speed at Indy is the best I have ever seen, they nailed it.

it finally feels a little of what it might kind of be like. haha

but man, especially if you switch to bonnet cam at 115* fov

I need to try this in VR but I should probably pick up some adult diapers first.
Last edited by terrible; 09-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.
FrankCanada97
Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
(09-23-2017, 10:30 PM)
FrankCanada97's Avatar

Originally Posted by Klocker

i have to say, the sense of speed at Indy is the best I have ever seen, they nailed it.

it finally feels a little of what it might kind of be like. haha

but man, especially if you switch to bonnet cam at 115* fov

Yeah, my palms actually got sweaty the first time I tried it. I've been waiting for a good IndyCar game for almost 20 years, this satisfied my needs quite nicely. Shame they couldn't work in a three-wide rolling start.
Vilix
I think Bayonetta and Samus are more iconic than Lara Croft.
(09-23-2017, 10:30 PM)
Vilix's Avatar
I'm looking for a good arcade racer. Is this more of a sim racer or an arcade racer?
terrible
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:31 PM)
terrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vilix

I'm looking for a good arcade racer. Is this more of a sim racer or an arcade racer?

It's firmly in the sim category. Anything arcade-like in the game would be unintentional.
Azzawon
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:34 PM)
Azzawon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vilix

I'm looking for a good arcade racer. Is this more of a sim racer or an arcade racer?

Neither really. It's trying to be sim but it's just a bit of a mess at the moment. If you're planning on getting it on a console I wouldn't bother at this point in time. Horizon 3 is probably the king of arcade racers at the moment.
Newlove
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:35 PM)
Newlove's Avatar
I'm getting very frustrated with the amount of times I'm losing the back end. No other racer has me restarting 50 times because it's pot luck on getting around one lap without a spin. Is there any way of recovering from them?
kamspy
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:38 PM)
kamspy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vilix

I'm looking for a good arcade racer. Is this more of a sim racer or an arcade racer?

Horizon 3 might be the best arcade racer ever.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(09-23-2017, 10:45 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Newlove

I'm getting very frustrated with the amount of times I'm losing the back end. No other racer has me restarting 50 times because it's pot luck on getting around one lap without a spin. Is there any way of recovering from them?

This was my experience with PC1 (on PS4 w/ controller) and PC2 is a thousand times better. Much, much more stable, at least for the cars I've tried.

Originally Posted by kamspy

Horizon 3 might be the best arcade racer ever.

+1 to this. You really can't go wrong with Horizon.

Originally Posted by HueyFreeman

Is the intro movie super washed out for anyone else? I love that trailer but it’s unwatchable. Weird bug if so.

Yeah, super washed out and super noticeably so. Had me worried about the game at first, but its only that cinematic.
Last edited by NullPointer; 09-23-2017 at 10:51 PM.
T Ghost
Member
(09-23-2017, 10:50 PM)
T Ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobnob

I have zero issues with my G920
, if they do a update and ruin the way it feels stock (for me anyway) i'm gonna be pissed.

PC or Xbone?
Klocker
(09-23-2017, 10:56 PM)
Klocker's Avatar
Good God the handling on some of these cars with a controller is horrible, Xbox by the way

the NSX GT3 holy crap it just drifts left and right willy-nilly like it has a mind of its own.

it's kind of ridiculous it must be a bug wouldn't doubt there are several cars that are acting this way. I even tried restarting the game and it is still there fighting the car the whole time.

then other cars handle like a dream so this is a jekyll-and-hyde game right now. it's a shame because I'm starting to settle in on the graphics, (weather and lighting is tops) the feel, the challenge and then something like this comes up
Louis Cyphre
Junior Member
(09-23-2017, 11:01 PM)
Louis Cyphre's Avatar
Can someobody explain to me how the A.I. can turn sharper than me using the same car and going at the same speed? I'm using an Xbox One controller, maybe I don't have the settings right but I followed the advice of that guy on YouTube.
Newlove
Member
(09-23-2017, 11:05 PM)
Newlove's Avatar

Originally Posted by NullPointer

This was my experience with PC1 (on PS4 w/ controller) and PC2 is a thousand times better. Much, much more stable, at least for the cars I've tried.


+1 to this. You really can't go wrong with Horizon.

Not sure what cars you're using but jump into any invitational event for the higher end cars, tight courses. I just tried the UK lightweight track challenge with rain. Can't keep it straight. Got lapped by the AI on a 4 lap race. They comfortably drive through it while there is absolutely no way to keep up with their pace. Keeping it straight and driving at a reasonable speed through unavoidable puddles is impossible. The game just isn't clicking with me sadly. I didn't spin this much in PC1. The frustrating part is that I can't accept being 'bad' as a reason for not keeping up with the pack in those conditions. The game would benefit from an optional rewind feature too.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(09-23-2017, 11:14 PM)
NullPointer's Avatar
Will do, but I'm definitely still coming to grips to driving even the slower cars in the rain at speed. Rain changes everything. I'm curious about which cars are considered the worst on the controller though because so far I've been able to handle the cars I've tried decently enough - not at leaderboard competitive levels mind you - I'm not that good ;p
Last edited by NullPointer; 09-23-2017 at 11:17 PM.
TylerDurden4321
Member
(09-23-2017, 11:21 PM)
TylerDurden4321's Avatar

Originally Posted by terrible

It's firmly in the sim category. Anything arcade-like in the game would be unintentional.

sim, but not up there with rFactor 2, iRacing, Automobilista and Assetto Corsa. It's very much on the easy side. And, please nobody tell me this "difficult doesn't mean realistic", we're talking about stuff that has Pro versions used by professional racing teams (AC and rF have, rFactor Pro is still used as the base for customized Formula 1 simulators used by all F1 teams).

Project CARS feels pretty damn awesome in my opinion though. The too fast lap times from Project CARS 1 are dialed down now too. It's easier to drive for me, mainly because the FFB is better, but I'm actually slower than in pCARS1.



-----------------------------

Now what I really wanted to say:
My biggest problem in pCARS1 was the braking. There were cars in pCARS1 that suffered from tremendous, insane understeer under braking even with a very rearward brake balance and even if no wheel actually locked up. Other cars were the other way round, the became super unstable and began to rotate with the slightest steering input under braking.
Half a year ago I wrote down 4 extreme incidences of this behavior with car/track/corner-name to check if this is still an issue in pCARS2. And actually they are either gone so very very dialed down, that my brain can believe them.

However, I just drove the McLaren P1 and that car was pretty unstable when trailbraking hard and become more unstable the further I shifted the brake balance to the front. It seems that when the inner front wheel locks up in a turn, the car turns in more, instead of less.

Also, electronic driving aids: The ABS (which I tried in the P1 as well) is working, but super low-tech and I found out that it's like that in all cars. Even race cars that have modern ABS. The traction control simulation is the same. Stability control is probably also more high tech now than what is presented in pCARS, but no other sim does that right, so that's forgiveable.
I think I'll keep all assists off in this one, even though I think it's stupid attitude in general and would never get this idea in Assetto Corsa for example. Maybe I'll keep a very low TCS in some cars, even with low-tech that can still make you faster in some cases I guess.
terrible
Member
(09-23-2017, 11:41 PM)
terrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by TylerDurden4321

sim, but not up there with rFactor 2, iRacing, Automobilista and Assetto Corsa. It's very much on the easy side. And, please nobody tell me this "difficult doesn't mean realistic", we're talking about stuff that has Pro versions used by professional racing teams (AC and rF have, rFactor Pro is still used as the base for customized Formula 1 simulators used by all F1 teams).

Project CARS feels pretty damn awesome in my opinion though. The too fast lap times from Project CARS 1 are dialed down now too. It's easier to drive for me, mainly because the FFB is better, but I'm actually slower than in pCARS1.

It's almost as forgiving as R3E when "real" assists are on I feel. It's still completely trying to be a sim and any shortcomings are probably unintentional though, just like with R3E. I like both games a lot even if they are "too easy".
TylerDurden4321
Member
(09-23-2017, 11:49 PM)
TylerDurden4321's Avatar

Originally Posted by terrible

It's almost as forgiving as R3E when "real" assists are on I feel. It's still completely trying to be a sim and any shortcomings are probably unintentional though, just like with R3E. I like both games a lot even if they are "too easy".

Oh yea, didn't mean that it makes it "simcade" or so. Of course it's a sim, but pCARS1 too. But pCARS2 is just so much more coherent and the FFB is pretty great.
I'd say "it's still completely trying to be a sim ...that plays it rather forgiveable if guesswork is involved" - rather than pointing to the most likely to be realistic values/models and sticking to that if it makes things a bit shitty hard.
H3rTz DoNuT
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:00 AM)
H3rTz DoNuT's Avatar
Well I'm not getting another PCars game for sure. Bought it only cause I thought it might actually drive a lot better than the first one, but not really. Some cars drive like shit, rain and snow is pretty much pointless as racing in those conditions is a nightmare. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but it's not good. Will wait till Forza 7 and it goes off my hard drive.
Last edited by H3rTz DoNuT; 09-24-2017 at 12:14 AM.
terrible
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:01 AM)
terrible's Avatar

Originally Posted by TylerDurden4321

Oh yea, didn't mean that it makes it "simcade" or so. Of course it's a sim, but pCARS1 too. But pCARS2 is just so much more coherent and the FFB is pretty great.
I'd say "it's still completely trying to be a sim ...that plays it rather forgiveable if guesswork is involved" - rather than pointing to the most likely to be realistic values/models and sticking to that if it makes things a bit shitty hard.

I'm going to be going a bit off-topic here

I'd agree that the FFB feels a lot better in this than in the first game but I do have one minor issue and I'm wondering if you have the same problem. When I'm not moving there seems to be some wheel shake, like the wheel wobbles left and right for no reason. This'll happen in the pits or anywhere else if I'm parked. It doesn't seem to affect the car while moving but it's stupid that I have to hold the wheel still when parked, especially since I park a lot while practicing in order to dial in my settings. Seems to be an issue with every car I've tried so far.
JamboGT
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:02 AM)
JamboGT's Avatar
The game is so inconsistent. At times amazing but also full of bullshit.

I am in a chat with my mates and enjoying myself but they say it sounds like I hate the game haha
Bollocks
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:05 AM)
Bollocks's Avatar
I have assists on authentic and it's actually pretty great to drive with a controller, especially indy cars, took them to spa since I know the track and could push the car and I just kept on doing round after round after round :D

Only car that is terrible to drive (so far) is that Mazda one, even the Caterham which some user said is a nightmare is ok. Are authentic assists still holding your hand too much?
TylerDurden4321
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:25 AM)
TylerDurden4321's Avatar

Originally Posted by terrible

I'm going to be going a bit off-topic here

I'd agree that the FFB feels a lot better in this than in the first game but I do have one minor issue and I'm wondering if you have the same problem. When I'm not moving there seems to be some wheel shake, like the wheel wobbles left and right for no reason. This'll happen in the pits or anywhere else if I'm parked. It doesn't seem to affect the car while moving but it's stupid that I have to hold the wheel still when parked, especially since I park a lot while practicing in order to dial in my settings. Seems to be an issue with every car I've tried so far.

I just leave the car rolling on a straight at >5mph. Not an issue for me. All sims have low-speed problems and usually what they do is make the wheel artificially heavy below a very low threshold.

My biggest annoyance are the shifter issues. And probably they are not a priority (or I definitely could see SMS say "for competitiveness sake, you can't shift faster than flappy pedal users, even in IRL H-pattern cars". What I really want to drive are the cool older cars, Group 5, Group 6, all pre-90s F1. All completely broken with a shifter. If I force myself to shift slower than I would even a normal 90s road car, then I'm exploding with anger on the inside. It's like splitting my personal "want to drive" - car list in half at the moment.
Bobnob
Member
(09-24-2017, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by T Ghost

PC or Xbone?

xbox
kostacurtas
Member
(09-24-2017, 01:27 AM)
kostacurtas's Avatar


TJP
Member
(09-24-2017, 01:33 AM)
TJP's Avatar
Link to the article: http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performa...ce-analysis/2/

What this all means is that Project CARS 2 does not require a high-end CPU in order to be enjoyed, even though it scales incredibly well on more than four threads. A modern-day quad-core is more than enough for a constant 60fps experience, and even owners of dual-core systems (that support Hyper Threading) will be able to enjoy this latest racing game.

On the other hand, Project CARS 2 does require a high-end GPU in order to be enjoyed on Ultra settings. For our GPU tests, we chose the Long Beach stage and raced at night thunderstorm with 25 cars using the exterior chase camera. The headlights from all cars cast dynamic shadows at night and as such, this was the perfect stress test for our graphics cards. Do note that this is a worst case scenario, and that most of the game’s stages will run better than this stress test.

Grassy
Member
(09-24-2017, 01:49 AM)
Grassy's Avatar

Originally Posted by danowat

Database being rebuilt.

In other news, I would how people are doing on the community event with the GTR on Sugo in the rain.

On a pad.

Let's see your times! I can't get anywhere near the leaderboards!!!!

After ~5 laps or so and some further controller settings tweaking, I managed a 1:39:039 -

Which is currently the 11th fastest time set with a pad, but ~10 seconds off the fastest time set with a wheel. In the screenshot you can see the player "red fox and green raccoon" who has the current fastest time set with a pad and is still ~7 seconds off the fastest overall time. I could definitely shave another ~3 seconds off if I practised a bit more, but the car feels so bad to drive it's not something I even want to do. Like I can take the last sweeping, right hand corner at full throttle and the car is stable, but in some of the slower corners and even in a straight line the car either pulls or twitches about and just feels way too unstable, especially for an AWD car.

Originally Posted by Klocker

Good God the handling on some of these cars with a controller is horrible, Xbox by the way

the NSX GT3 holy crap it just drifts left and right willy-nilly like it has a mind of its own.

it's kind of ridiculous it must be a bug wouldn't doubt there are several cars that are acting this way. I even tried restarting the game and it is still there fighting the car the whole time.

then other cars handle like a dream so this is a jekyll-and-hyde game right now. it's a shame because I'm starting to settle in on the graphics, (weather and lighting is tops) the feel, the challenge and then something like this comes up

Yeah some cars feel fucking horrible to drive with a pad. I never had a problem with cars in the first game just drifting to the right or left while accelerating in a straight line like their suspension is busted. Then other cars like the Formula Rookie cars are an absolute blast to drive and don't exhibit any drifting/instability issues some of the other cars have.

It has to be some kind of physics/set-up bug with certain cars.
turtlesbonanza
Member
(09-24-2017, 02:21 AM)
turtlesbonanza's Avatar
Anyone else not getting along with the race director?

I've been blasting Mount Panorama for a little bit this morning just in a test session. He keeps deleted my laps on the first corner in the Sierra Cosworth when I'm not even touching the kerbs.

Besides track limits, what else could he be picking me up on?
op_ivy
Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
(09-24-2017, 02:23 AM)
op_ivy's Avatar

Originally Posted by turtlesbonanza

Anyone else not getting along with the race director?

I've been blasting Mount Panorama for a little bit this morning just in a test session. He keeps deleted my laps on the first corner in the Sierra Cosworth when I'm not even touching the kerbs.

Besides track limits, what else could he be picking me up on?

Are you going off on the last few turns of the previous lap? That automatically invalidates your next lap too and the message pops up several seconds after starting the lap
AnythingBut
Member
(09-24-2017, 02:31 AM)
AnythingBut's Avatar
Last lap, last corner....he spins.... :D

https://clips.twitch.tv/WiseStrangeHumanHeyGirl
Spaceman Spiff
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:03 AM)
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
I'm a bit of a setup junkie in these sorts of games, and while PC2's tuning menu is generally intuitive and nicely laid out, what in the name of fuck is going on in the differential page?

The options are borderline incomprehensible, and the explanatory text only makes it more so. I feel positively dense trying to decipher this shit.

soundscream
ATTN MEN: visually inspect your condom before disposal
Also GAF's leading millennial
(09-24-2017, 03:14 AM)
soundscream's Avatar
Im going to have to try turning the AI aggression down to 0. The amount of times they have side swiped me, or fish tailed me is immense.
nkarafo
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:18 AM)
nkarafo's Avatar
I think these are the highest requirements i saw in a game so far.
turtlesbonanza
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:57 AM)
turtlesbonanza's Avatar

Originally Posted by op_ivy

Are you going off on the last few turns of the previous lap? That automatically invalidates your next lap too and the message pops up several seconds after starting the lap

That must be it!
FrankCanada97
Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
(09-24-2017, 04:01 AM)
FrankCanada97's Avatar
Good to know about the CPU performance.

I'm going to reveal to everyone a dark secret:
I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 840.

Still enjoying some mostly 60fps gameplay, my worries were unfounded apparently.

Oh, I asked around about the online reputation. According to some peeps I asked in online races, it looks like the letter grade is a safety rating and the number is a performance rating with a higher number being an indicator of better performance.
ValfarHL
Member
(09-24-2017, 04:13 AM)
ValfarHL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobnob

xbox

I

Edit: I don't know what happened here.
Last edited by ValfarHL; 09-24-2017 at 04:16 AM.
danowat
Member
(09-24-2017, 07:41 AM)
danowat's Avatar
I've no idea how they can carry over bugs from the first game.

The HUD saving is as broken as the first game, and the same setup bug, where if you don't enter the setup menu, you can different settings applied to your car, fuel load is a good indication of this.
Mascot
Member
(09-24-2017, 07:43 AM)
Mascot's Avatar
Aha! You have to select 'snow' in the winter seasons setting to get snow on the ground, not just selecting 'snow' as weather. That was driving me mad.
Mascot
Member
(09-24-2017, 07:50 AM)
Mascot's Avatar

Originally Posted by danowat

I've no idea how they can carry over bugs from the first game.

The HUD saving is as broken as the first game, and the same setup bug, where if you don't enter the setup menu, you can different settings applied to your car, fuel load is a good indication of this.

From the bug Q&A at GTP:

After moving stuff around press a button on the D-pad, make sure "save" is selected using the D-pad and press it. It took me a few times to figure it out.

Hope that helps.
danowat
Member
(09-24-2017, 07:51 AM)
danowat's Avatar
Yeah, still doesn't work.
Klocker
(09-24-2017, 08:16 AM)
Klocker's Avatar

Originally Posted by terrible

snip...


I need to try this in VR but I should probably pick up some adult diapers first.

Originally Posted by FrankCanada97

Yeah, my palms actually got sweaty the first time I tried it. I've been waiting for a good IndyCar game for almost 20 years, this satisfied my needs quite nicely. Shame they couldn't work in a three-wide rolling start.

haha yea glad I'm not the only one who appreciated jt.. vr wow i can only imagine

Originally Posted by Grassy


snip...



Yeah some cars feel fucking horrible to drive with a pad. I never had a problem with cars in the first game just drifting to the right or left while accelerating in a straight line like their suspension is busted. Then other cars like the Formula Rookie cars are an absolute blast to drive and don't exhibit any drifting/instability issues some of the other cars have.

It has to be some kind of physics/set-up bug with certain cars.


yea it's got to be a bug, some cars literally sway back and forth on their own as if it were stick travel

I even tried it with 25 on steering deadzone and still got it
Last edited by Klocker; 09-24-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Klocker
(09-24-2017, 10:05 AM)
Klocker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mascot

From the bug Q&A at GTP:



Hope that helps.

Yep worked for me on Xbox. Thanks

You do need to cycle through each camera mode and save separately, if that helps some.
danowat
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:21 AM)
danowat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Klocker

Yep worked for me on Xbox. Thanks

You do need to cycle through each camera mode and save separately, if that helps some.

And the mirror saves? No matter what I do, the mirror always disappears.

This game is a complete mess on the PS4 Pro, a lot of people, myself included, are having crashes, plus there is the intro movie stutter issue, and the menu lag/freeze issue.
Last edited by danowat; 09-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
TylerDurden4321
Member
(09-24-2017, 10:31 AM)
TylerDurden4321's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff

I'm a bit of a setup junkie in these sorts of games, and while PC2's tuning menu is generally intuitive and nicely laid out, what in the name of fuck is going on in the differential page?

The options are borderline incomprehensible, and the explanatory text only makes it more so. I feel positively dense trying to decipher this shit.

Why can you swap differentials at all? There is a reason why some older (especially turbo cars) did have a spool(/more or less fully locked) and not a limited slip differential... they torque would have destroyed it or it would have been uncompetitively heavy. It's like cheating.
Mascot
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:26 PM)
Mascot's Avatar
I like it. I just like Assetto Corsa more, I think.

Thread Tools