• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

KojiKnight
Member
(09-30-2017, 06:04 PM)
KojiKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

In order: Earthbound (beat game / all photos / stairs glitch your way to the end), FF6 (world of balance / beat the game / haven't decided between "get all rages" and "beat the game with minimum party complement"), Mana, Super Mario RPG. SMRPG will be the big finale.

Perfect. In a year's time I'll totally be up for more Super Mario RPG, so I'll do a slow refresher run now.

Originally Posted by UltraJay

Are people just doing the glitch and then completing the stamp? Because I thought you were then supposed to beat the game that way.

I asked that question earlier and didn't get a response. I did take the glitched item and used it in Bowser's castle for what that's worth :)
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-30-2017, 06:05 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by UltraJay

Are people just doing the glitch and then completing the stamp? Because I thought you were then supposed to beat the game that way.

My plan is to get the cloud glitch and take it to the bowser fight to glitch his ai timers. I get the sense that the orb glitch doesn't work to see the credits.
Drain You
Member
(09-30-2017, 06:33 PM)
Drain You's Avatar

Found this the other day, I must have felt pretty accomplished or something lol.

Can't wait to start SMW later tonight.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(09-30-2017, 06:41 PM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drain You

Found this the other day, I must have felt pretty accomplished or something lol.

One of the hardest alternate exits to find! Congrats!
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-30-2017, 07:03 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar
Killed myself in hidden fortress thinking that a gap in the ceiling was jumpable but I was big mario so I crouched jumped into the gap, but then the screen scrolled up and I found myself clipped into a ceiling being dragged into a solid wall. Insta-death.
BumRush
Member
(09-30-2017, 07:26 PM)
BumRush's Avatar
I wish the first month was only one game for all of October. The UK SNES' shipped to the US (Amazon) have an arrival estimate of 10/17 :(
KojiKnight
Member
(09-30-2017, 07:38 PM)
KojiKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by BumRush

I wish the first month was only one game for all of October. The UK SNES' shipped to the US (Amazon) have an arrival estimate of 10/17 :(

The dates are to curate discussion, not to punish late arrivals. You can do the goals at any time in any order once they are announced.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(09-30-2017, 07:47 PM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar

Originally Posted by BumRush

I wish the first month was only one game for all of October. The UK SNES' shipped to the US (Amazon) have an arrival estimate of 10/17 :(

It's tough because there's no speed that will be slow enough for late entrants while being fast enough for early entrants. I really wasn't counting on catastrophic shipping delays. I'll keep this in mind though -- I'll make sure when we move on to Super Punch-Out!! that the info for Mario World will still be available and front and center and I'll probably make it a separate thread so that this one can keep going!
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(09-30-2017, 07:54 PM)
BGBW's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mcdohl

Should have added stamps related to the recent developments to make runs more interesting even for veterans.

  • Kill a Big Boo without using a Star
  • Ethical Run / PETA Run (finish the game without smacking Yoshi in the head)

To get every exit in the game requires killing a big boo without a star (the Donut Plains secret ghost house Starworld exit).
AuthenticM
Member
(09-30-2017, 08:30 PM)
AuthenticM's Avatar
Fantastic thread, Stump. I'll be participating as soon as I get my superior european super nintendo mini.

Originally Posted by Cyan

I want to encourage anyone doing this goal to do it the intended way--the last four levels you beat are the four switch palaces. :D

I've actually been meaning to do this for ever. It's time I do it.

#euro
BumRush
Member
(09-30-2017, 08:32 PM)
BumRush's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

It's tough because there's no speed that will be slow enough for late entrants while being fast enough for early entrants. I really wasn't counting on catastrophic shipping delays. I'll keep this in mind though -- I'll make sure when we move on to Super Punch-Out!! that the info for Mario World will still be available and front and center and I'll probably make it a separate thread so that this one can keep going!

Greatly appreciated! And awesome thread.
jasminlovesyoux
Member
(09-30-2017, 08:32 PM)
jasminlovesyoux's Avatar

Originally Posted by Drain You

Found this the other day, I must have felt pretty accomplished or something lol.

Can't wait to start SMW later tonight.

Lol trail blazer
Roboleon
Member
(09-30-2017, 08:52 PM)
Roboleon's Avatar
so #euro

(my petite snaisse is still crossing the North Sea)
AuthenticM
Member
(09-30-2017, 08:57 PM)
AuthenticM's Avatar
Does the console allow the taking of screenshots?
BumRush
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:12 PM)
BumRush's Avatar
#euro
Robin64
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:36 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by AuthenticM

Does the console allow the taking of screenshots?

Sadly not. :(
KojiKnight
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:43 PM)
KojiKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by AuthenticM

Does the console allow the taking of screenshots?

No way to get them off even if it did. No network and no way to connect storage.
gattsu
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:44 PM)
gattsu's Avatar
How do people feel about using the savestates for this game? I found myself almost abusing it a few times and yes, it saved me a good 10-15 min of backtracking, it felt like it wasn't the way I was intended to play - the levels should be learned and memorized and mastered to give he "true" feeling of accomplishment and fun. I felt like I was hindering my enjoyment of the game almost.
Robin64
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:45 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by KojiKnight

No way to get them off even if it did. No network and no way to connect storage.

Getting FTP access on there is super easy. Even now before we can put custom stuff on there, we have FTP access. It's how Star Fox 2 was dumped etc.
KojiKnight
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:46 PM)
KojiKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by gattsu

How do people feel about using the savestates for this game? I found myself almost abusing it a few times and yes, it saved me a good 10-15 min of backtracking, it felt like it wasn't the way I was intended to play - the levels should be learned and memorized and mastered to give he "true" feeling of accomplishment and fun. I felt like I was hindering my enjoyment of the game almost.

Didn't use them once on the 96* run, only used them when I was practicing the orb glitch. Play the way you enjoy, don't worry about the stigma if you do, just don't be afraid to give it a couple tries without.

Originally Posted by Robin64

Getting FTP access on there is super easy. Even now before we can put custom stuff on there, we have FTP access. It's how Star Fox 2 was dumped etc.

I of course meant legitimately, as I assumed the person asking about screenshots was as well.
Robin64
Member
(09-30-2017, 09:51 PM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by KojiKnight

I of course meant legitimately, as I assumed the person asking about screenshots was as well.

I mean, it has a USB cable, and we all have a PC that can run an FTP program. It's as legit as you're gonna get.
jonjonaug
Member
(09-30-2017, 10:54 PM)
jonjonaug's Avatar
#morton #luigi
https://twitter.com/jonjonaug/status/914230997205602305

Had to look up the secret exit in Valley 4, otherwise most of this was from memory
Morfeo
The Chuck Norris of Peace
(09-30-2017, 10:59 PM)
Morfeo's Avatar
Awesome initiative! I own the original carts, but i will try to join you for the games i havent played comprehensively, like Super Punch Out! Hope a lot of gamers with this get to experience what is probably the best collection of games ever.
Fuzzy
I would bang a hot farmer!
(09-30-2017, 11:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Beefwheat

It looks like nobody answered this, so: the game will ask you to save at certain times (like completing Ghost Houses or Castles, f'rinstance). Do that and then just run the game fresh instead of loading your save state.

I had the same question so thank you. Up to 51 right now.
Havok1313
Member
(09-30-2017, 11:42 PM)
Havok1313's Avatar
So SMW definitely has some extra slowdown here on top of what it originally had right? Forest of Illusion 2 just had some moments that seemed about 5 FPS..
cyba89
Member
(10-01-2017, 12:07 AM)
cyba89's Avatar
It's been probably over a decade since I last did a full 96 exit playthrough of SMW so let's see how much I can still manage from memory. Already completed worlds 1, 2 and 4 and remembered every exit pretty well so far.
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 12:08 AM)
I am so in for this.
Proc
Member
(10-01-2017, 12:27 AM)
Proc's Avatar
#morton

Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(10-01-2017, 12:28 AM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Havok1313

So SMW definitely has some extra slowdown here on top of what it originally had right? Forest of Illusion 2 just had some moments that seemed about 5 FPS..

Believe it or not, it's like that in the base game. That and the disco ball hallway at the end of Bowser's Castle are the two laggiest portions of the game.
Gentleman Jack
Member
(10-01-2017, 01:18 AM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar
The bonus game is so frustratingly useless.
Havok1313
Member
(10-01-2017, 01:30 AM)
Havok1313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

Believe it or not, it's like that in the base game. That and the disco ball hallway at the end of Bowser's Castle are the two laggiest portions of the game.

I'll take your word for it, but man I don't remember it being that bad.

Is this the game where lives became kind of meaningless? I'm only halfway done and have like 50 lives without trying.
Fuzzy
I would bang a hot farmer!
(10-01-2017, 01:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Havok1313

Is this the game where lives became kind of meaningless? I'm only halfway done and have like 50 lives without trying.

Yes. I don't remember EVER seeing a game over screen while playing SMW.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(10-01-2017, 02:06 AM)
Stumpokapow's Avatar
Your lives reset to 5 if you actually power off the console and reload. So for the median kid in 1991 itMs not impossible to game over but it isn't easy either because 1ups are so plentiful
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 02:09 AM)
#morton




EDIT: Woo!

Nairume
Banned
(10-01-2017, 02:22 AM)
Nairume's Avatar
#morton

Will probably go back for the other two stamps soon, but I wanted to go ahead and get the easiest one out of the way and get the low exit win.

Fun thing for me is that I pretty much had to play that way the most as a kid. The copy of SMW I bought off a friend had been smashed open and no longer had a save battery. My sister and I basically had to get good at speed running the game out of neccesity if we ever wanted to see the ending :P
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 02:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Nairume

Fun thing for me is that I pretty much had to play that way the most as a kid. The copy of SMW I bought off a friend had been smashed open and no longer had a save battery. My sister and I basically had to get good at speed running the game out of neccesity if we ever wanted to see the ending :P

Could have been a good opportunity to practice your soldering!
Taco_Human
Member
(10-01-2017, 02:24 AM)
How are you guys taking screenshots ingame?
Brunire
Member
(10-01-2017, 02:25 AM)
Brunire's Avatar
Great way to christen the SNES classic. I forgot that you had to beat the star road levels with both exits to get to 96. I was stumped for a bit! #morton #luigi

Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 02:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Taco_Human

How are you guys taking screenshots ingame?

Taking a picture of the screen with a camera.

1990s all up in here.
(Except for no having to send the photos off to be developed and hoping there wasn't too much glare on the screen).
Blizzard
Banned
(10-01-2017, 02:46 AM)
Blizzard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

The bonus game is so frustratingly useless.

You can cheese it for extra lives if I recall correctly, so there's that.
KojiKnight
Member
(10-01-2017, 02:47 AM)
KojiKnight's Avatar

Originally Posted by Earthbound64

Taking a picture of the screen with a camera.

1990s all up in here.
(Except for no having to send the photos off to be developed and hoping there wasn't too much glare on the screen).

Yep too much effort to hook it up to the capture card, so phone shot it is.
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 03:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Blizzard

You can cheese it for extra lives if I recall correctly, so there's that.

Yeah, if you're either big or fire, if you get in a pattern you can easily get 3x3
You can with a cape too, but it's easy to throw it off by floating.
And I'm not sure if you can while small or not.


Also you can cheese the minigame where you have to pick the 2 blocks with coins inside to have the last one be a 1-up by having the cape, and hitting the side of the first 2 blocks with your cape, and they'll always be coins, and then the last one will be the 1-up.


Spoilers for a 26-year-old game.
Millsington
Member
(10-01-2017, 03:08 AM)
Millsington's Avatar
#morton using quick route. I'll go for 96 maybe but probably not any glitch stuff. Cool idea for a thread.
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 03:15 AM)

Originally Posted by Millsington

I'll go for 96 maybe but probably not any glitch stuff.

Yeah, I'll do 96* soon enough, but I don't really plan to do any glitch stuff (although one never knows).
Dangerblade
Member
(10-01-2017, 03:15 AM)
Dangerblade's Avatar
Subbed, gonna start playing in the week. This is a cool added motivation to play, kind of like a makeshift Achievement system :)

#euro
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 03:29 AM)
Beat all of the Star World levels each way (doing them the "wrong" way is always my least-favorite thing. And easiest to miss thing, along with the "backwards" way of the ghost house in the Forest of Illusion (I know it serves a purpose if you hadn't gotten the path the other way, but still).

Probably finish up Donut Plains tonight and call it a day on this.
F34R
Member
(10-01-2017, 03:36 AM)
F34R's Avatar
I was trying to figure a way to get in this a little different than the norm. Well, look what I found in a drawer full of "old stuff" lol.

Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
(10-01-2017, 03:36 AM)
Brazil's Avatar
This is the coolest thing ever. I hope I can find a SNES Classic soon so that I can partake :)
Earthbound64
Banned
(10-01-2017, 03:42 AM)

Originally Posted by F34R

I was trying to figure a way to get in this a little different than the norm. Well, look what I found in a drawer full of "old stuff" lol.

I was honestly never a fan of the GBA Micro.
Just too small.
F34R
Member
(10-01-2017, 04:09 AM)
F34R's Avatar

Originally Posted by Earthbound64

I was honestly never a fan of the GBA Micro.
Just too small.

Agreed, which will make the challenge, more challenging lol.

Thread Tools