• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SG-17
(10-12-2017, 08:42 PM)
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/ba...thank-you-beta

We know you have a lot of questions about Crates and progression, so we want to clarify a few things, as the complete system was not in the Beta and will continue to be tuned over time:

There are many things you can earn in the game, including weapons, attachments, credits, Star Cards, Emotes, Outfits and Victory Poses.

As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.

Crates will include a mix of of Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes or Victory Poses.

Players earn crates by completing challenges and other gameplay milestones, or by purchasing them with in-game credits or Crystals, our premium currency.

If you get a duplicate Star Card in a crate, you will get crafting parts which you can then use to help upgrade the Star Card of your choice.

And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.

I have no idea what they were thinking releasing that beta build without a word before. Absolute idiocy in my opinion.
Last edited by SG-17; 10-12-2017 at 08:45 PM.
WickedLaharl
(10-12-2017, 08:44 PM)
still sounds like a shit system
Gleethor
(10-12-2017, 08:45 PM)
so it's *marginally* less pay to win, I guess?

Still buying the game
Ferny
(10-12-2017, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by WickedLaharl

But not as bad as before. I think it's a little easier to take seeing as how just having the card doesn't mean you can use it right away.
belvedere
Junior Butler
(10-12-2017, 08:46 PM)

As a balance goal, we're working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.

This better mean weapons.

Though that's still nowhere near good enough.
ASaiyan
"We see you've discovered our awful crate system. Here are some reasons why it's actually okay..."
digitalrelic
Crates include Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes, or Victory poses. So a bunch of cosmetic shit that I don't give a damn about. Sounds fine to me.
ShadowSoldier89

Originally Posted by WickedLaharl

its slightly less shit though!
Theorry
(10-12-2017, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by ASaiyan

"We see you've discovered our awful crate system. Here are some reasons why it's actually okay..."

If they say nothing people will complain also.
Gleethor

Originally Posted by digitalrelic

Crates include Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes, or Victory poses. So a bunch of cosmetic shit that I don't give a damn about. Sounds fine to me.

Star cards are not cosmetic
DyslexicAlucard
Sounds like pretty much what we already knew, except that some things are locked behind rank. While that's "better," it still introduces a fundamental imbalance where people who have played more have a no-compromises advantage. So, while not completely "pay to win" in the strictest sense, I feel it's still not a great choice.
Marcel
They should just subtract the specifics and add some Mad Libs prompts to this response so the other EA developers can use it when they add loot boxes to their projects.
Foxxsoxx

Originally Posted by Gleethor

so it's *marginally* less pay to win, I guess?

Still buying the game

Wish I could say the same. Beta was straight up bad.
ViviOggi
Test the waters with an outrageous system in the beta, backtrack a little before release, boom gamers will lap it up
Audioboxer
(10-12-2017, 08:48 PM)
Don't miss out the good part

We also have heard some players are looking for a way to play where all players will have the same set of Star Cards with flattened values. Like everything else, we will be continually making necessary changes to ensure the game is fun for everyone. We will work to make sure the system is balanced both for players who want to earn everything, as well as for players who are short on time and would like to move faster in their progress towards various rewards.

Short on time

HellforLeather
fucking dupicates.....this is what pisses me off the most. It will probably be the same shit system that they have in Overwatch where they give you some BS paltry amount for them too.
Darryl M R
If the best items are not within the paid loot box then I feel a bit better. I went from a day one purchase to a no buy, but I'm open to purchasing if this won't become a large issue. Though right now it is still a no buy.

But watch it end up as you can only receive the 120% health regen with in game earned loot boxes, but you can still try to get the 110% health regen with money.
Jinaar
Won't buy the game. If this is what people want and will pay for, so be it. My money will not go to them.
Gentleman Jack
(10-12-2017, 08:49 PM)
They only say 'the most powerful' items are accessible via ingame achievement.
This doesn't address the concern that lazy whales can pay for less-than-most-powerful higher damage and lower ability cooldowns day 1, effectively creating a 'pay to win' curve that folks who do not buy premium currency have to catch up to by grinding it out.
WaterAstro
At least it will be always online. lol
MADGAME
So they are putting a thin layer of glossy polyurethane over their turd of a system.
benzopil

Originally Posted by HellforLeather

fucking dupicates.....this is what pisses me off the most. It will probably be the same shit system that they have in Overwatch where they give you some BS paltry amount for them too.

I wish they still gave me dublicates (and money for them). That way I could at least buy what I want with in-game currency.
SG-17
(10-12-2017, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by ViviOggi

Test the waters with an outrageous system in the beta, backtrack a little before release, boom gamers will lap it up

Some of us figured that this is the only conceivable reason they'd release that beta build in the first place.
ASaiyan

Originally Posted by Theorry

If they say nothing people will complain also.

If only there were a third option, like not having to say anything because there weren't any boxes. Or having the box drops be purely cosmetic, which they seemed to just stop short of being okay with doing, lol.
Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Originally Posted by ViviOggi

That's not how game development works.

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

They only say 'the most powerful' items are accessible via ingame achievement.
This doesn't address the concern that lazy whales can pay for less-than-most-powerful higher damage and lower ability cooldowns day 1, effectively creating a 'pay to win' curve that folks who do not buy premium currency have to catch up to by grinding it out.

Those people still have to level up, (aka playing the game) to use those in the first place. You aren't paying for levels.
cicatriz
A lot of tip-toeing around the issue in these comments.

Will loot crates at all be tied to progression? If the answer is yes, then the system is shit.
LifEndz
A rather tepid response and not at all reassuring. I was planning on buying it day one, but the uncertainty around all this stuff is making me wait for reviews of what the final progression system is and how much loot crates play a factor in all this.
Tonedeff
So less bad than one would initially think, but still pretty shitty? I wish this loot crate shit would go away because I really liked the beta otherwise
Scuffed
(10-12-2017, 08:51 PM)

Haha that's how I read it too!
Marcel
Feel free to jump on this EZ loot box apology form. Fill in the brackets and have fun, AAA developers!

We know you have a lot of questions about [loot box facsimile] and progression, so we want to clarify a few things, as the complete system was not in the [insert game title here] and will continue to be tuned over time:

There are many things you can earn in the game, including [weapons], [nonsense], [shit you don't need], [unbalanced items], [duplicate you'll get sick of getting after three crates], [useless trinket] and [*cash register noise*].
Spartancarver
"lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game."

This makes me feel better. Along with them locking the best stuff to in game only.

Reminds me of how overblown the controversy was with Destiny 2 loot crates.
Spehornoob
This may be the fact that I play RPGs more than shooters (though I quite enjoyed the first Battlefront), but I'm put off by the fact that there are objectively better loadouts and skills, and that the devs are up front about that.

Wouldn't you ideally want to balance out weapons and star cards to make different builds and loadouts viable?

Quick Edit: I know tier lists are inevitable, I'm just saying I would prefer if there was an attempt at balance.
SG-17

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

That's not how game development works.

Lootcrates are rarely the developer's prerogative.
theaface
(10-12-2017, 08:52 PM)
Crate leads to suffering.
Theorry

If only there were a third option, like not having to say anything because there weren't any boxes. Or having the box drops be purely cosmetic, which they seemed to just stop short of being okay with doing, lol.

Then we would have a premium pass and people will complain about that. :D
There is some outrage and they respond on that. Nothing wrong with that.
teepo
good luck balancing around that system
Damage Inc
Too late. The Beta is what most people will take from it. It is not a good system to be pushing. No one trusts EA to keep it fair and balanced. They lost tons of sales just on the Beta feedback.
belvedere
Junior Butler
(10-12-2017, 08:53 PM)
Shouldn't it be EA owning up to this? Dice are only doing as they're told.
SG-17

Originally Posted by cicatriz

A lot of tip-toeing around the issue in these comments.

Will loot crates at all be tied to progression? If the answer is yes, then the system is shit.

Doesn't seem like it.

"lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game."

Crossing Eden
Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Originally Posted by SG-17

Lootcrates are rarely the developer's prerogative.

They're also rarely as devious as gamers would have you believe. No dev or even pub would include the finalized version of progression or loot boxes into a beta build.
Glass Rebel
That‘s fair. I‘ll take the wait and see approach.

As in wait until it hits bargain bin prices and see if I still care about the game by then.
BanjoLayleeYookaKazooie
Apart from the game/Star Wars specific jargon, you could've taken that statement and applied it to a great many microtransaction-laden games. It's almost become a parody now when I see "We want to make it so that players with less time..." and I know exactly what follows that almost verbatim. It's a fee-to-pay economy regardless of how many of the usual excuses they fit into their statement so it's a massive disappointment to me.

Fun game though.
Snoopycat
No. I don't think so DICE. If the loot crates were 100% cosmetics only then maybe I'd buy your game when it goes on sale, but otherwise, no thanks, I'd rather give my money to a developer who has at least some respect for their audience.
Marcel

Originally Posted by belvedere

Shouldn't it be EA owning up to this? Dice are only doing as they're told.

Why would the boss deign to apologize when the underling can do it instead?
Alexious
(10-12-2017, 08:54 PM)
What about RNG progression and squad system?
Eggbok
I hope reviewers tear this game apart
Spartancarver
I really wish they had come out with this earlier. Like, during the beta or even before it. Figured the crate system in the beta wouldn't be final but they probably lost a decent number of sales over it
SG-17

Originally Posted by Crossing Eden

They're also rarely as devious as gamers would have you believe. No dev or even pub would include the finalized version of progression or loot boxes into a beta build.

Its either incredible shortsightedness or a deliberate plan to not address the lootcrate system in the beta beforehand.
bosh
Beta was already fine with the crate system. I normally was on the winning team and top 5 every round without realizing until the last day I had crates to open. Playing the objective definitely helps.

The crates don't do anything to protect and or pickup the giant launcher that takes the ship down . You are always going to outgun the other team if you all stick together and not run off 1v1 guns blazing for kills.
MissCauthon
(10-12-2017, 08:55 PM)
Microtransactions should affect a games review score imo and hard.