• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

frye

marvel has historically treated retailers like dirt, it just usually hasn't mattered because they were kings of the direct market

Serp and Donnie are Scottish? Cool. Didn't know that. Seems like a lot of you guys live somewhat close to each other. Meanwhile, I'm all alone in this country.

serp is from socal i think

They're adding a ton of stuff tomorrow, which is the same day DC sales start. CMX has a Google doc they update every Monday with that weeks releases: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iiVR4xEQnlO9TnuxohqwoHlvtYFoSzD303_tWw1rhGI/htmlview

tenor.gif

They're adding a ton of stuff tomorrow, which is the same day DC sales start. CMX has a Google doc they update every Monday with that weeks releases: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iiVR4xEQnlO9TnuxohqwoHlvtYFoSzD303_tWw1rhGI/htmlview
Ooooh cool new stuff! I'd love to get the classic wildcats runs of Alan Moore, even the Jim Lee stuff

Also I remember liking backlash back in the day. But my reading habits at the time weren't great. I basically only read image books, xmen and Batman. So who knows if it's really any good

I thought y'all was cool, but since none of you told me that Green Arrow is the best traditional cape book DC is putting out, I guess I was wrong.

Green Arrow is incredible, guys. It's one book that you can absolutely jump in from Rebirth with no background at all and enjoy. In fact, some of the storytelling works even better if you don't know much about the background and stuff.

giphy.gif

THE BATMAN WHO LAUGHS...AND HIS BOY WONDERS?

And what Batman, evil or not, would be complete without a Robin, on in this case, Robins? The Batman Who Laughs and his dark sidekicks also appear on September 13 in TEEN TITANS #12, part one of the “Gotham Resistance” tie-in. This four-issue crossover includes NIGHTWING #29, SUICIDE SQUAD #26, and GREEN ARROW #32, pitting DC’s bravest heroes against the threat of evil versions of Batman from the Dark Multiverse! Cover to TEEN TITANS #12 is by Stjepan Sejic and interior image is by Mirka Andolfo.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just finished the first Unbeatable Squirrel Girl trade and omfg this series is amazing. I'm legit laughing at so many panels and yet it has so much heart.

I thought y'all was cool, but since none of you told me that Green Arrow is the best traditional cape book DC is putting out, I guess I was wrong.

Green Arrow is incredible, guys. It's one book that you can absolutely jump in from Rebirth with no background at all and enjoy. In fact, some of the storytelling works even better if you don't know much about the background and stuff.

I mean, I like Green Arrow, but best?

Superman, Deathstroke, Nightwing, and Detective Comics are great. Green Lanterns, New Super-Man, Super-Sons, Harley Quinn, Teen Titans, and JLA are all solid.

Malyse

Superman, Deathstroke, Nightwing, and Detective Comics are great. Green Lanterns, New Super-Man, Super-Sons, Harley Quinn, Teen Titans, and JLA are all solid.

I gasped audibly at some of the plot turns and at no point has the story been highjacked by a fucking crossover, nor (as previously mentioned) does it ever make you feel like you need to read something else to have an adequate frame of reference for the current events.

Aizo

Banned

Nightwing is that good? I don't think I see many people talk about it.
What are your thoughts on Wonder Woman and Titans?

Rucka's run, despite loving his previous work with the character was mad uneven for me. I don't have a handle on new writer Fontana yet.

Titans is great, but it's drawn by Brett Booth, so it's also horrible.

Aizo

Banned
Rucka's run, despite loving his previous work with the character was mad uneven for me. I don't have a handle on new writer Fontana yet.

Titans is great, but it's drawn by Brett Booth, so it's also horrible.
Yeah, almost done with Rucka's run. I liked his previous work with Wonder Woman more.

What do you like so much about the Nightwing series? I have never heard much.

Yeah, almost done with Rucka's run. I liked his previous work with Wonder Woman more.

What do you like so much about the Nightwing series? I have never heard much.

It's just a solid, straightforward series that gets what Nightwing is about. Dick Grayson is A) hot, B) wrapped up in everything, and C) always trying the do that right thing. Some Nightwing writers go too far and make his life horrible; Seeley has a good balance. Things are looking up, then they go to shit, then they're looking up again. It's just a great superhero book with a bit of espionage and sexual zest.

And when Fernandez is on art, he does great work.

Aizo

Banned
Wish I had the money to buy other DC series. It'll be a while till I get to check out Green Arrow and Nightwing. Maybe December.

Titans is good, but Brett Booth's art brings it down a bit.

And yes Nightwing is that good. It's about Dick Grayson, the greatest superhero of all time.

Serp and Donnie are Scottish? Cool. Didn't know that. Seems like a lot of you guys live somewhat close to each other. Meanwhile, I'm all alone in this country.

serp is from socal i think

this is true but my university has a "Scottish theme" of sorts

Haha Serp is Scottish...by nomination!

I am actually Scottish though. If it makes you feel better, there are one or two other Scots around in the thread but IRL I am super alone as far as comic book reading goes, you would not say reading comic books (or even reading) is a big part of the culture here.

Would you put it up there with Dixon's run?

This is tough, because Dixon basically defined Dick as Nightwing as a solo hero, including his own mythos and world. Seeley basically creates a sequel to the Dick Grayson of both Grayson and pre-Flashpoint. It's really cool to see. If I had to pick, I prefer Dixon's writing simply in terms of dialogue and character beats, so I'd choose Dixon.

I'd never choose Higgins though.

Never.

shingi70

Banned
Has anyone here seen much of Teen Titans Go? Tell me about it.

Teen Titans Go is a decent Episoide of the day comedy show for kids. Episoides vary from Raven having great legs, to the Titans going to the batcave, to Cyborg becoming a real boy. The show gets alot of shit but it's pretty funny in small doses and isn't supposed to be a sequel to the previous Titans cartoon.

https://youtu.be/vriYd6tVq1s

I've been to Scotland quite a few times, don't live there though, would recommend it for great sights, much booze and battered food :)

I sometime feel like most of you guys have read a differnt Green Arrow series than me, I only read the first arc but thought the art was great found everything else all really cliche and parts of the story ridiculous even for comics. Am excited to try Nightwing with all the good recommendations on here though.

The bit about Big Bang and the Marvel lenticular covers sounds pretty shitty, I'm glad there taking a stand on it. I love Marvel but in terms of dialogue with stores and sales strategy they really do seem clueless. Its not going to happen, but I'd love it if most of the stores teamed up and just said no to the lenticular covers and Marvel had loads of unsold stock remaining for them to teach them something for once in the main thing they care about, money and sales figures.

The thread is still pretty high on Nightwing huh. I'll give it another volume but I found the first volume pretty dull, definitely one of those trades that left almost no impression on me. Nothing bad or offensive but just there. Seeley isn't a very compelling character writer for me, even though he clearly focuses on character and tries. I couldn't get behind Revival as a small town drama either.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The thread is still pretty high on Nightwing huh. I'll give it another volume but I found the first volume pretty dull, definitely one of those trades that left almost no impression on me. Nothing bad or offensive but just there. Seeley isn't a very compelling character writer for me, even though he clearly focuses on character and tries. I couldn't get behind Revival as a small town drama either.

Yeah, it's just alright. I enjoy it when I read it, but it leaves no lasting impression.

Aizo

Banned
Teen Titans Go is a decent Episoide of the day comedy show for kids. Episoides vary from Raven having great legs, to the Titans going to the batcave, to Cyborg becoming a real boy. The show gets alot of shit but it's pretty funny in small doses and isn't supposed to be a sequel to the previous Titans cartoon.

That looks very silly. I bet kids love it. I wish I had it as a kid. I don't think I'm interested now, though.

Teen Titans Go is an acquired taste.Unfortunately, it's a kid friendly version of modern Family Guy. Beast Boy and Robin are beyond unbearable.

Superman Annual 1 (Tomasi/Gleason) was rather pretty to look at. The positioning (at the front of the trade) did throw me off a bit. It felt like a continuation of something?

Really enjoying Defenders

Episode 3 was lit

Yeah I've still got to watch the last two (was distracted by thrones last night) but I've enjoyed it. Thankfully its been a real step up again after Iron Fist. I really like the each character having a colour theme as well, normally I find that stuff a little cheesy but think it works really well in this.

Top Bottom