• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Camera Equipment Thread | MK II

milkham

I've got a small dilemma. Which camera should I buy?

The Canon M10 or the Sony ILCE5000L (A5000) ?

I'm guessing you have not yet bought into either of those ecosystems, as an eos m owner, I would recommend you remove the m10 from your list. I think probably only the newest eos m cameras are worth considering if you don't have other canon cameras already.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How about the A6000? You can get it and the kit lens for $650 new or as low as $450 used. Will definitely serve you better than the A5000.

With the D5500 I have a system down where I can make it act like dual dials. In M mode the default for the dial is shutter speed. If I want to change aperture I switch it to aperture mode, set the aperture, then switch back to M . It is annoying but I've become good at it and I can do it faster than using the touchscreen.

The D5500 has a button on top that switches the function of the dial while held, doesn't it? The D5100 has it - it's dual function, sets EC when in PAS, but when in M, it sets the Aperture.

ev comp, iso, bracketing step, any one of many customizations available.

If Nikon gave me an EC dial, I'd never have to take my camera out of Auto ISO.

RuGalz

3 dials for what exactly? Shutter, aperture and what else?

ev comp, iso, bracketing step, any one of many customizations available.

topPlate_170329_07j_cceax1200.jpg

kendrid

Banned
The D5500 has a button on top that switches the function of the dial while held, doesn't it? The D5100 has it - it's dual function, sets EC when in PAS, but when in M, it sets the Aperture.

If Nikon gave me an EC dial, I'd never have to take my camera out of Auto ISO.

Thank you for posting that. It turns out the exposure compensation button will change aperture in M mode. That makes sense since EC isn't needed in M mode.

Thank you for posting that. It turns out the exposure compensation button will change aperture in M mode. That makes sense since EC isn't needed in M mode.
Exposure control is still a bit of a thing I think in manual. Either that or my camera just magically stopped blowing highlights and skin tone as much randomly. There is even...at least on the D810 exposure fine tuning settings buried in the menus.
I use ev comp a lot and in manual mode having direct access to iso is nice. There's no need to go into menu for anything.
I haven't had to menu dive for iso since my first camera and exposure comp is easy to find on Nikon's as well. Seems like a layout I'd have to use first hand.

RuGalz

I haven't had to menu dive for iso since my first camera and exposure comp is easy to find on Nikon's as well. Seems like a layout I'd have to use first hand.

The image shown is for the newest and smaller camera they can make so they gave up many buttons other Pentax flagship has. I don't dig into menu for anything ever, even going between different style of shoots. Everything is accessible via buttons. Like I said, it's Fuji's ev dial but programmable so you already know how it works.

The image shown is for the newest and smaller camera they can make so they gave up many buttons other Pentax flagship has. I don't dig into menu for anything ever, even going between different style of shoots. Everything is accessible via buttons. Like I said, it's Fuji's third button but programmable.
This makes sense. I don't care if white balance is in the menu, but stuff like iso and dual dials tends to mean a lot to me, good that Pentax at least has a workable system in place for shrinking down the body.

Ty4on

I don't get why more cameras don't have three dials. Two dials made sense in the film days so why not add another one now that we can change ISO on the go?

RuGalz

I don't get why more cameras don't have three dials. Two dials made sense in the film days so why not add another one now that we can change ISO on the go?

not enough awareness so there's not a lot of request I guess. Pentax has 100%, penta prism ovf, twin dials and weather stealing for all models for many years already. weather sealing is finally just becoming trendy.

Do you need the zoom range? Otherwise, the Sony RX-100 series, Canon G7/G9 series, Panasonic DMC-LX10/LX15 all with 1" sensor are probably your best bet. You will get much better image quality than what you have now in smaller package but loses the extended zoom range.

He doesn't really have much of a choice.

- Zoom Capability
- Small Size
- Good Image Quality

You can pick only two.

I would definitely want some serious zoom capability when trekking around in the mountains to capture far away wildlife and such. I think the RX10 Mark III would probably be the best all around camera for those purposes. It's as big as an entry level DSLR and weighs 1 kilogram, but the zoom capability and image quality are insane. 24mm - 600mm equivalent lens with an 2.8 - 4.0 aperture. Good focusing capabilities and decent-ish burst rate with full autofocus/autoexposure (6.3 frames).

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the zoom helps me with wildlife, but the size of the dsc-hx300 is already on the superior size limit. Guess I'll have to compromise zoom vs size :\

My budget is prefebly 250 pounds. Which probably puts me around 2nd hand. I'm also looking for flip screen and ease of use is an important factor.

My advice will be to save a little more. If not a possibility, look into a used Canon T3i or a Nikon D3300. However, with any camera that you buy for that price it's probably only going to come with the kit lens. You will take better pictures than with a smartphone but eventually you will have to upgrade to a nice prime or zoom lens, and that is going to be more money. Bottom line, save more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the zoom helps me with wildlife, but the size of the dsc-hx300 is already on the superior size limit. Guess I'll have to compromise zoom vs size :\

I actually didn't know what the HX300 was, but it looks pretty comparable to the RX10 series already, just using a smaller sensor size. But yeah, RX10 and RX100 or equivalent from other makers like Canon and Panasonic will serve you well for sure. The 1 inch sensors have come a long way and will definitely be an upgrade from the 1/2.3" sensor in your HX300.

So is it worth getting a UV for my XF23mmF2 R WR lens on my Fuji X-T20?
A UV filter? Flat no.

UV filters were useful when, like, you had film that was UV sensitive. You don't.

UV filters do not protect from anything but dust. There's a video where they run some tests, where they drop a weighted pole onto a lens/drop the lens etc, and the conclusion was that the UV filter did nothing but become something to break. "Just because the UV filter was broken by an impact, does not mean that impact would have damaged the lens".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A UV filter? Flat no.

UV filters were useful when, like, you had film that was UV sensitive. You don't.

UV filters do not protect from anything but dust. There's a video where they run some tests, where they drop a weighted pole onto a lens/drop the lens etc, and the conclusion was that the UV filter did nothing but become something to break. "Just because the UV filter was broken by an impact, does not mean that impact would have damaged the lens".

Interesting! I bought UV filters for a few of my lenses when I was just getting started, but I've always questions whether or not they were beneficial.

Nilaul

You don't have PayPal credit in your country?

Paypal works here... not sure what you mean.

What is the use case and what lenses are you thinking of pairing it with?

It will be my first more serious camera, so at first, I would be happy with whatever is in the set in terms of lens.. What I notice is that my eyes see an amazing view however my camera at hand doesn't quite frame it, it lacks zoom usually. I really like a 1:1 ratio for photos. Even my sketchbook is 1:1 , I dunno how I got into this format, not an avid Instagram user.

Paypal works here... not sure what you mean.
I buy a lot of stuff I can't outright afford using PayPal Credit and just pay it off within a year. It's a pretty decent way to get camera equipment that's technically out of reach...as long as you're realistic with what you can afford.
It will be my first more serious camera, so at first, I would be happy with whatever is in the set in terms of lens.. What I notice is that my eyes see an amazing view however my camera at hand doesn't quite frame it, it lacks zoom usually. I really like a 1:1 ratio for photos. Even my sketchbook is 1:1 , I dunno how I got into this format, not an avid Instagram user.
Also there's nothing super serious about the cameras you listed, they don't even have viewfinders. They're pretty much struggle life consumer camera's at best. See if you can afford a Panasonic G7. It's a smaller sensor size, but it's still a damn good camera.

£250 is tough. You probably could find a used D5200 with a 18-105mm, or maybe 18-55mm + 55-200mm for abour £300 on eBay. It's a decent starter kit to get your feet wet.

Ty4on

What is your current camera and what do you mean by that? Do you want a wider angle of view that fits more of the scene?
Also there's nothing super serious about the cameras you listed, they don't even have viewfinders. They're pretty much struggle life consumer camera's at best. See if you can afford a Panasonic G7. It's a smaller sensor size, but it's still a damn good camera.
The overlap with viewfinder and screen that flips around is quite small.

Sec0nd

Thinking about getting a second hand 5D m2. I've got two beautiful full frame lenses lying around, a 16-35mm 2.8 and a Zeiss 50mm 1.4. The wide angle gets some use on my 600D but the 50mm, even though it's gorgeous, is too cropped on the 600D to get much use out of. I've seen used 5Dm2's go for around 600-800 euros which seems fine.

My question; is the 5Dm2 really dated now? Are there better full frame cameras out there now that have better quality for around the same price? A 6D is full frame as well right?

Thinking about getting a second hand 5D m2. I've got two beautiful full frame lenses lying around, a 16-35mm 2.8 and a Zeiss 50mm 1.4. The wide angle gets some use on my 600D but the 50mm, even though it's gorgeous, is too cropped on the 600D to get much use out of. I've seen used 5Dm2's go for around 600-800 euros which seems fine.

My question; is the 5Dm2 really dated now? Are there better full frame cameras out there now that have better quality for around the same price? A 6D is full frame as well right?

That's a tough choice. I think the 6D would be the one I pick since it is newer, and has GPS. I thought the 5d ii had dual cards but it looks like it doesn't. The autofocus system on the 6D is slightly better if I remember correctly.

Both are fine cameras and you will have a sea of choices for used glass. If you know what you are doing, both are capable of stunning images. And there is even custom firmware that adds more functionality.

I considered both cameras at some point and decided the minimum model that could meet my requirements was the 5DM3, but at the time was a lot of camera for an hobbyst photographer.

In the end I went with a Sony a7ii. It is more expensive than what you are budgeting but it might be also an option to consider. The a7iii is around the corned according to many so the prices will go down.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No kidding. I can live without a swivel screen, but I need to have a viewfinder.

I'm the total opposite. I probably shoot 70% or more of my shots with the LCD. I really like big viewfinders, but if I had to choose one, it would be a swivel/articulating LCD. Luckily, I don't have to choose on any decent camera.

Ty4on

No kidding. I can live without a swivel screen, but I need to have a viewfinder.
It can be really handy. I'm trying to film myself doing something for work training and seeing how everything looks without having to run back all the time is very useful when you're working alone.
For landscapes where you're probably already in live view using manual focus it's of course super useful for awkward angles.

It can be really handy. I'm trying to film myself doing something for work training and seeing how everything looks without having to run back all the time is very useful when you're working alone.
For landscapes where you're probably already in live view using manual focus it's of course super useful for awkward angles.
Yeah don't get me wrong I can see a use for them it's just not a make or break deal for me.

Ty4on

Yeah don't get me wrong I can see a use for them it's just not a make or break deal for me.
No doubt. Especially when so few pro/prosumer cameras have a swivel screen
That's a tough choice. I think the 6D would be the one I pick since it is newer, and has GPS. I thought the 5d ii had dual cards but it looks like it doesn't. The autofocus system on the 6D is slightly better if I remember correctly.
AF system was the downside with the mk2 and was unchanged from the original 5D.
If I recall correctly tho the 6D is a fair bit more expensive on the used market. I've considered getting a used 5D mk2 because prices have gone so far down and it's so much better equipped than the 5D classic. The prices used to be quite inflated, presumably from video people who heard it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
In the end I went with a Sony a7ii. It is more expensive than what you are budgeting but it might be also an option to consider. The a7iii is around the corned according to many so the prices will go down.
Used Sony A7 are quite cheap for what its worth. The Mark 2 might not drop that much if the Mark 3 doesn't improve a whole lot. It's hard to beat IBIS without competing with higher end models and Sony seems to be pushing upmarket with the A7 series.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm surprised that Blackmagic doesn't produce an official case for their Video Assist monitors.

You think that would be a no brainer.

Any suggestions for a case? I use the 7".

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Received my Voigtländer 15mm just in time for my trip to Opatija/Pula in Croatia. What a magnificent little lens.

Built quality is of the charts, feels a lot more "solid" then my other Sony/Zeiss lenses. Having a aperture ring on the lens really is freaking awesome. For now I basically always have it at f11 and at its corresponding hyper focal ... thing. So basically point and shoot. I immediately felt like I use my time more on composition then on setting the focus on the right spot.

I really need to get used to that lens length, 35 and 55mm are already in my system. With the new lens I had to change my position quite often.

I really like a 15/55mm combo for tours in a city. At first I was not sure if a 5,6 lens for that price is worth it, but it complety Is worth it's asking price imo.

No pics since the A7 and my iPhone don't like each other :(

Received my Voigtländer 15mm just in time for my trip to Opatija/Pula in Croatia. What a magnificent little lens.

Built quality is of the charts, feels a lot more "solid" then my other Sony/Zeiss lenses. Having a aperture ring on the lens really is freaking awesome. For now I basically always have it at f11 and at its corresponding hyper focal ... thing. So basically point and shoot. I immediately felt like I use my time more on composition then on setting the focus on the right spot.

I really need to get used to that lens length, 35 and 55mm are already in my system. With the new lens I had to change my position quite often.

I really like a 15/55mm combo for tours in a city. At first I was not sure if a 5,6 lens for that price is worth it, but it complety Is worth it's asking price imo.

No pics since the A7 and my iPhone don't like each other :(

Yeah, I've got the 14mm from Samyang, and that wide of a lens is like, woah. "Okay I'm now touching my subject, I should be close enough yeah?...... Okay guess not"

It's hard as hell to use, but when I get a shot right I love it.

In other discussion, I almost want to become a pro photog just so I can justify buying the Mitakon 50mm 0.95
I wan it
I waaaaannnnn ittttt

EDIT
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they make an 85mm 1.2 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah, I've got the 14mm from Samyang, and that wide of a lens is like, woah. "Okay I'm now touching my subject, I should be close enough yeah?...... Okay guess not"

It's hard as hell to use, but when I get a shot right I love it.

In other discussion, I almost want to become a pro photog just so I can justify buying the Mitakon 50mm 0.95
I wan it
I waaaaannnnn ittttt

EDIT
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they make an 85mm 1.2 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Doit.gif

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hybrid optical/EVF for the D850 sounds interesting if true.

Is this possible?

My understanding, which may be completely off base, is that live view/video recording mode on DSLRs is accomplished by keeping the mirror up and going into a rolling shutter mode. When the shutter button is pressed for stills, the mirror goes back down before flipping up and allowing for the shutter to release. Am I completely wrong? I just assumed that's how it worked since there was always a huge amount of lag between pressing the shutter button and the image actually being captured when shooting in live mode on my entry-level Canon DSLR.