• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life |OT|

Agram

Btw Agram the OT is beautiful, slay a bit.
:*

So, my first HQ listen is done and I still have to digest some songs, but Heroin and 13 Beaches are fucking amazing.

My biggest problem is that some of the songs are overproduced, but overall it's a great album.
except GBA, I really don't like that song

16 tracks, what the fuck Banana Del Fey.

I hate this padding for the streams crap.

In fairness, she had 5 singles out before the album (including Love which came out in like February). So in reality there's like 11 new songs which is standard album length. I doubt most fans (most included) mind, you don't have to digest new music all at once.

Agram

Stevie's voice works beautifully with Lana's in a perfect ballad.
And TNC with Sean is an amazing Beatles tribute.

She picked great collaborators 👌

EXCUSE ME Lana doesn't do that tbh. Girl has hundreds of unreleased tracks just from the two year BTD era, and dozens for each album. These are her 16 fav tracks
RIP BAR
BAR died so that Beautiful People, Heroin, When The World Was At War, and Tomorrow Never Came could live. Good night, sweet prince.

cr0w

Old Member
Lust for Life (the song) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Say whatever you want about The Weeknd or whatever, but it hits me in the right place. Enjoying the album so far from what I've heard.

So she took time off trying to perform witchcraft to remove Trump from office to record a new album?

Her first two and that EP were good. She has some good tracks here but the rap breaks and her reliance on the shock factor of a bygone America with new ideals and sex doesn't do much in lieu of good music. Her novelty was probably fun for people at one time but her voice was what gave her lasting appeal. Also too many features-Stevie Nicks was fun and Sean Ono Lennon was a cool surprise but I'm not a huge fan of the others. Weeknd is fine on his own but not a fan of the other two. The pop/rap formula does not work well with the moody somber sound she has. While Born to Die had the better tracks I think Ultraviolence had the best production/sound. She needs to find the sweet spot in between those two.

Meowster

It's a very chill album but I think it is also fun. Very leisurable. It's not like Honeymoon (which I really like) that could put me to sleep because of how dreary it all was. I could see myself relaxing to this and just letting the music flow around me. Be nice with a joint and a couple of drinks. Definitely better than BTD - maybe better than HM? Only halfway through so far.

Agram

http://kworb.net/charts/index_a.html
Look at all those #1s
3aRadpv.gif

JCX

Her first thoroughly good album since Born to Die. Glad she finally stopped with all the "tragic flower child" sounds on UV and Honeymoon and went back to more interesting production.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I really like this new Lana album. I need to give it another few listens before I say this, but it could be my favorite album by her. It's definitely better than Ultraviolence and Honeymoon. At worst right now it's equal to Born to Die.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
13 beaches and heroin have been everything to me today. Had heroin on repeat for about 4 hours
strangely haven't given the rest of the album a proper listen, gonna go give it a dedicated run through before bed

yunbuns

I didn't like HM nor the first two singles for this album but I'm hoping I really this album because I do really love Lana.

Decarabia

Just finished my first listen, and really liked it. Doesn't seem as cohesive as her earlier albums tho.

Right now, I'd say the standout tracks for me were (besides Love, obviously) 13 Beaches, Cherry, Beautiful People and Heroin. The only song I couldn't get into was God Bless America, but we'll see if that changes eventually.

Current album ranking: Ultraviolence>>>>>>Lust For Life=Born To Die>>Honeymoon>Paradise

Twio

Love Lana but not really feeling this album :( Nothing has resonated with me so far like some songs from Honeymoon did

I'll keep listening tho, maybe it'll grow on me

Kyoufu

Lust for Life (the song) gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Say whatever you want about The Weeknd or whatever, but it hits me in the right place. Enjoying the album so far from what I've heard.

I've had the song on repeat for a while now. It's... really good, so good that I can't get it out of my head.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This album is blowing me away

I was honestly expecting to not like it too.I enjoyed love when it came out but it got virtually no play from me. Lush for Life, Coachella and then the two asap songs did nothing for me. SO after all that I was expecting a muted reaction like I had for Honeymoon
But the album is great and all of the above sound better as whole rather than individuals

Its a bit early to say but this might become my favourite Lana album
Just in love with the production and her delivery
The only real dud is god bless america, but my current political views are probably warping my response (which I imagine is intentional)

Top Bottom