• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: The Final Seasons |OT| The Fullmetal Optimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

m4DkFu9.png

Previously, on ADVENTURE TIME:

PB's origin revealed!
Root Beer Guy lives! (kinda)
Marceline's vampiric backstory, explained!
Bonnibel gets her kingdom back!
Moe is no more. :'(
Magic Betty has plans for Simon's Crown!
Farmworld Finn gets his groove back thanks to regular Finn!
Finn and Huntress Wizard become brief smooch buds!
The Finn Sword, damaged!? :eek:
"Normal" Man gets a chance at redemption!
The Ice Elemental returns!
A new enemy appears, they call her Dr. Gross!
There are other humans somewhere beyond Ooo!
Susan Strong is brainwashed and nearly kills Finn!?
Grass Sword says 'fuck it' and merges with the unresponsive Finn Sword omg wtf!!??

*record scratch*

tumblr_ojm81t7UCv1uwb31io4_250.png

FINN: "Yup, that's me and my new arm. You might be wondering how I got into this predicament..."

AfCLHpW.png

After a somewhat-successful return to form in Season 7, Adventure Time is back from hiatus w/ Season 8 Season 9 THE FINAL SEASONS which promises to have more focus on Finn the Human as he deals with the loss of his arm (again) and, in a brand-new mini-series, go on his first voyage beyond the boundaries of Ooo that will finally answer the question of who he is and where he comes from.

i6C6qT0.png

Adventure Time premieres start Monday, January 23rd with TWO weeks of new episodes! January 23 to 27 will see the premiere of 6 new episodes, the first two will premiere Monday at 7:30pm weeknights (the rest of the week's episodes will air at 7:45pm). Leading up to the 8-episode event "Islands" that will run the following week:

January 30th to February 2nd Monday through Thursday, also at 7:30pm, with two episodes a day and centering on Finn's search for the last humans.

LFYcljU.png

Here are a bunch of previews and images of what to expect in the following days:

VIDEOS:
Adventure Time "Two Swords" Preview - Finn and the Grass Dude
Adventure Time "Do No Harm" Preview - Doctor Finn
Adventure Time "Wheels" Preview - Jake's Advice
Adventure Time "High Strangeness" Preview - Strange Fireworks
Adventure Time "Horse and Ball" Preview - James Baxter
Adventure Time "Jellybeans Have Power" Preview - Jeyllybean Dreams
Adventure Time - Islands Mini-Series Promo
Adventure Time - Islands Opening Credits
Adventure Time - Islands: The Invitation Preview Clip
Adventure Time - Islands DVD extra - Storyboard Animatic

PROMOTIONAL IMAGES:
tumblr_ok07heJIMG1t0t09yo1_400.png
tumblr_ok9hgsIOCZ1qauvvxo1_400.jpg

tumblr_ok3ggzfxUY1qash0lo1_400.png
tumblr_ojmax4IkyB1rn1n9xo2_r1_400.png

tumblr_okcz1sx6BF1t0t09yo1_500.png

tumblr_ohxx9qVST61sxhdxso1_640.jpg

tumblr_inline_ojj4x1Skah1tvnwh2_540.jpg

tumblr_oi3db35PfZ1uwpleno1_540.jpg

tumblr_ok74kgXyDi1t0t09yo1_400.png

DN5EofN.png

OP EDIT: due to marketing BS Cartoon Network has rejigged the number of episodes per season. I've gone and updated the episode list to reflect this. I've also done the same with my previous thread, the NeoGAF Adventure Time Season 7 OT so check out the fresher OP.

SEASON 8 (continued from last thread)
tumblr_oh0vnntUXY1t0t09yo2_400.png

TWO SWORDS *airdate 1/23/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Tom Herpich & Steven Wolfhard
Finn and Jake contend with a mysterious, but familiar, new being.

tumblr_ojpnf631BS1t0t09yo2_400.png

DO NO HARM *airdate 1/23/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Laura Knetzger & Em Partridge
Finn makes amends at the Candy Hospital while Jake tries to connect with their unexpected house guest.

tumblr_ojpltn6O5N1t0t09yo1_400.png

WHEELS *airdate 1/24/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Graham Falk & Charmaine Verhagen
Kim Kil Whan is worried about his daughter's future and asks Jake for some parental advice.

tumblr_ojpms6Nf3E1t0t09yo1_400.png

HIGH STRANGENESS *airdate 1/25/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Pendleton Ward & Sam Alden
An otherworldly encounter puts Tree Trunks on the trail of a conspiracy in the Candy Kingdom.

tumblr_ojpm0tzaRq1t0t09yo1_400.png

HORSE AND BALL *airdate 1/25/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone
When disaster befalls James Baxter, it's up to Finn and Jake to help him pick up the pieces.

tumblr_ojplnnuXZ31t0t09yo1_400.png

JELLYBEANS HAVE POWER *airdate 1/26/2017*- Written/storyboarded by Hanna K Nyström & Aleks Sennwald
Princess Bubblegum's scientific mind must wrestle with her Elemental magic potential when she's faced with a Crystal Entity.

Islands mini-series
tumblr_ojpnuzU9hi1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 1: THE INVITATION *airdate 1/30/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Sam Alden & Polly Guo
A mysterious craft invades Ooo and Finn believes it may hold the secrets to his past.
tumblr_ojpo04c1xI1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 2: WHIPPLE THE HAPPY DRAGON *airdate 1/30/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone
Finn, Jake, and Susan set sail on a ocean voyage full of wonders and danger.
tumblr_ok2awbFl6v1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 3: MYSTERIOUS ISLAND *airdate 1/31/2017*- Written/storyboarded by Tom Herpich & Steve Wolfhard
After waking up alone and shipwrecked, Finn investigates a bizarre island in search of his friends.
tumblr_ok2ayazipi1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 4: IMAGINARY RESOURCES *airdate 1/31/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Pendleton Ward & Graham Falk
Finn and Jake travel to a land where reality has been redesigned and improved.
tumblr_ok2b1ztbLm1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 5: HIDE AND SEEK *airdate 2-1-2017* - Written/storyboarded by Hanna K Nyström & Aleks Sennwald
While exploring some futuristic ruins, Susan sees glimpses of a familiar girl.
tumblr_ok2b3p4mJq1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 6: MIN & MARTY *airdate 2-1-2017* - Written/storyboarded by Kent Osborne & Sam Alden
An unexpected revelation from Susan leads Finn closer to answers about his past.
tumblr_ok2b6e0cYl1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 7: HELPERS *airdate 2/2/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Tom Herpich & Steve Wolfhard
Finn and his friends journey to a last refuge called Founders Island.
tumblr_ok2b81cJRm1t0t09yo1_400.png

ISLANDS, PART 8: THE LIGHT CLOUD *airdate 2/2/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Aleks Sennwald, Graham Falk, and Adam Muto
Finn confronts the power behind Founders Island, but will he ever return home to Ooo?

SEASON 9
tumblr_omtrgboY6B1t0t09yo1_400.png

ORB *airdate 4/21/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Aleks Sennwald & Adam Muto
Finn, Jake and BMO's dreams fall under the influence of a mysterious orb.

Elements mini-series
tumblr_ooki68APk01t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 1: SKYHOOKS *airdate 4/24/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Sam Alden & Polly Guo
When they return to Ooo, Finn and Jake discover that there have been radical changes in their absence.
tumblr_ooki9g6f0s1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 2: BESPOKEN FOR *airdate 4/24/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone
Ice King weaves a tale filled with drama, romance and men's fashion.
tumblr_ookidpaaoW1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 3: WINTER LIGHT *airdate 4/25/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Steve Wolfhard & Laura Knetzger
Finn, Jake and Ice King travel to the new Ice Kingdom to confront the person responsible for the changes.
tumblr_ookifm54or1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 4: CLOUDY *airdate 4/25/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Kent Osborne & Graham Falk
Finn and Jake must escape exile in an endless sky before they can restore Ooo.
tumblr_ookiin0uIX1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 5: SLIME CENTRAL *airdate 4/26/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Hanna K Nyström & Aleks Sennwald
When Finn and Jake infiltrate the new Slime Kingdom, they become embroiled in a very heated skate battle.
tumblr_ookil0EWkY1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 6: HAPPY WARRIOR *airdate 4/26/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Polly Guo & Sam Alden
Finn and his friends fight through a more brutal Fire Kingdom to find Flame Princess.
tumblr_ookiru9XCS1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 7: HERO HEART *airdate 4/27/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Somvilay Xayaphone & Seo Kim
A full-scale war breaks out between two kingdoms, and Ooo's most unlikely hero must put an end to the fighting.
tumblr_ookiu3Y2NG1t0t09yo1_400.png

ELEMENTS PART 8: SKYHOOKS II *airdate 4/27/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Steve Wolfhard
Finn and Lumpy Space Princess work together to unlock one of Ooo's greatest secrets before time runs out.

tumblr_oqh7jyBeTa1t0t09yo2_400.png

ABSTRACT *airdate 7/17/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Graham Falk & Laura Knetzger
As Jake goes through some personal changes, he's haunted by a sinister dream encounter with his brother Jermaine.

tumblr_oskunlArBQ1t0t09yo1_400.png

KETCHUP *airdate 7/18/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone plus Lindsay & Alex Small-Butera
BMO and Marceline swap stories about their recent adventures.

tumblr_oskvqwbWDc1t0t09yo1_400.png

FIONA AND CAKE AND FIONA *airdate 7/19/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Aleks Sennwald & Hanna K Nyström
An unexpected critic shows up at Ice King's latest Fionna and Cake book reading.

tumblr_oskxijkfwJ1t0t09yo1_400.png

WHISPERS *airdate 7/20/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Polly Guo & Sam Alden
While safeguarding a frightened Sweet P, Finn is led into a confrontation with an old foe.

tumblr_oskxrgPVBG1t0t09yo1_400.png

THREE BUCKETS *airdate 7/21/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Tom Herpich & Steve Wolfhard
Finn and Fern's carefree visit to some old ruins turns disastrous.

SEASON 10
tumblr_ouwpq2ZGIL1t0t09yo1_400.png

THE WILD HUNT *airdate 09/17/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Polly Guo, Sam Alden, & Erik Fountain
A fierce creature is terrorizing the Candy Kingdom but before Finn can slay the beast, he must first overcome a guilty conscience.

tumblr_ov5jmpwDWe1t0t09yo1_400.png

ALWAYS BMO CLOSING *airdate 09/17/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Kent Osborne & Graham Falk
BMO and Ice King hit the road as door-to-door salesmen and stumble upon an irresistible opportunity.

tumblr_ov5lmlMkXy1t0t09yo1_400.png

SON OF RAP BEAR *airdate 09/17/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone
When Flame Princess is coaxed into a high stakes battle against the indomitable Son of Rap Bear, Finn must help her search for a new strategy.

tumblr_ov5m24x7PC1t0t09yo1_400.png

BONNIBEL BUBBLEGUM *airdate 09/17/2017* - Written/storyboarded by Hanna K Nyström & Aleks Sennwald
A long lost artifact causes Princess Bubblegum to harken back to the creation of the Candy Kingdom.

SEVENTEEN *airdate pending* - Written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone

RING OF FIRE *airdate pending* - Written/storyboarded by Steve Wolfhard & ?

And just like the last thread, here are blogger gunterfan1992's exhaustive updates on S8 and now S9 production:
gunterfan1992's AT Season Eight Production updates
gunterfan1992's AT Season Nine Production updates

Remember to use spoiler tags when necessary!!

daveo42

Banned
Oh my glob this new season sounds amazing. Good news is all the awesome stuff AT seems to be headed for. Bad news is we are drawing closer to the series finale.

The last episode I saw was Finn with his dad, not the season premier but they were on a field and his dad got shot off into space I think.

How far back am I.

I assume I'm 548557 episodes behind.

IronRinn

The last episode I saw was Finn with his dad, not the season premier but they were on a field and his dad got shot off into space I think.

How far back am I.

I assume I'm 548557 episodes behind.
I think you're about 2/3 of the way through season 6. So ~55 episodes?

I was really surprised to see a previous Adventure Time thread say that some of my favorite episodes of the series were the 'slump', and that everyone's glad they're back on track, steering away from that stuff.

I found Season Seven to be more of a slump because they lost a lot of momentum they had, by going back to the more one-off episodes. I like those too, but my favorite stuff from this show is when they pull back the curtain on the lore and backstory. Hope we get more of that this season.

LProtag

Oh damn, this thread reminded me I have some episodes to catch up on. I'll have to catch these new episodes later.

Psxphile

That was pretty great. I wasn't expecting
Grass Wizard
to make a reappearance.

Fern the Human
has a nice ring to it, even though he's not quite human. Looks like he's going to be the Ben Reilly to Finn's Peter Parker.

Can't believe Doctor Princess
wasn't even a real doctor
. That's false advertising times two, lady!

Epcott

That was great. Hope we see more of
Fernn the Human. Should have known he wouldn't stick around.
Love that mane <3

I hope we get a long season and explanation of how Greybles 1000 ties into Old Lemon Hope and how we get there from here (as well as tying up lose ends).

TheOGB

Banned
Well then. Interesting start to the season. Doctor Princess reveal was hilarious

Now I'm left wondering if it's mere coincident that
Grass Wizard happens to resemble Martin.

Psxphile

Just a heads up: per CN's wonky-weird TV scheduling the Adventure Time: Islands DVD and digital release is set for tomorrow, January 24th (despite not airing until the 30th). You'll be able to download the entire 8-episode mini-series off of iTunes/Amazon Video/Google Play whathaveyou by midnight tonight (probably), so we should (probably) expect a crapload of spoilers by tomorrow morning.

If you watch, please be courteous and properly tag your spoilers so peeps in here don't mistakenly believe they're from this week's episodes. Thank you.

Brakke

Banned
Damn that "last time on" bit in the OP... they really went big into the Lore of this thing, huh? Is the show super serialized now? I dropped off some time around the Enchiridion showing up. Been meaning to jump back on board now I have so much material to devour.

Servbot24

Banned
Damn that "last time on" bit in the OP... they really went big into the Lore of this thing, huh? Is the show super serialized now? I dropped off some time around the Enchiridion showing up. Been meaning to jump back on board now I have so much material to devour.

Yeah, there are a mix of random one-off adventure episodes as well as episodes that fill in a larger story. Definitely lots of lore to be found.

Psxphile

A storyboard animatic from the episode "The Invitation" that is set to be an extra on the "Islands" DVD has been uploaded on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrPB2-Xm4aM
Source

omg marcy

EDIT: uuuuh, reading into that source and the article seems to suggest that the Islands mini-series will "close out" Season 8??? If true that would mean this season will only be 14 episodes long...

EDIT: nope never mind

tumblr_inline_ok9rz42CtE1swv9ir_540.png

Also Amazon Prime has the Island episodes up on their service and already the little thumbnail pictures next to the titles spoil a few things, lol

Zubz

Banned
I need to catch up. I'm glad they finally went through with amputating Finn, though! There was so much build-up with that & the grass sword, only to get a cop-out a few episodes later.

IronRinn

Just a heads up: per CN's wonky-weird TV scheduling the Adventure Time: Islands DVD and digital release is set for tomorrow, January 24th (despite not airing until the 30th). You'll be able to download the entire 8-episode mini-series off of iTunes/Amazon Video/Google Play whathaveyou by midnight tonight (probably), so we should (probably) expect a crapload of spoilers by tomorrow morning.

If you watch, please be courteous and properly tag your spoilers so peeps in here don't mistakenly believe they're from this week's episodes. Thank you.
This is really dumb. I mean, they follow events of this week, right? CN really makes no sense sometimes.

IronRinn

What made them ditch them in the first place? Think I remember someone posting about it before but can't remember why AV stopped
No idea. They reviewed episode 39 of season 7 saying it was the last one, skipped two episodes, then came back for the last two episodes of the season, it seems. Same critic and everything.

daveo42

Banned
Solid start to the season. Lots of potential in terms of some characters. Hopefully they don't fall off a cliff and actually get airtime in this and the next season.

Updated OP w/ the title card for the first part of Islands, The Invitation:

KingOfOoo

Got mad chills looking at this. Islands is shaping up to be the bonkers, lore heavy stuff that makes this show great.

Psxphile

A new promo artwork for the Islands mini-series went up:

tumblr_ok74kgXyDi1t0t09yo1_1280.png

promo by writer/storyboard artist Steve Wolfhard

Adventure Time presents ISLANDS

An 8-Part miniseries over four nights premiering on Cartoon Network, January 30th - February 2nd (7:30/6:30c)

written and storyboarded by Sam Alden, Graham Falk, Polly Guo, Tom Herpich, Seo Kim, Adam Muto, Hanna K. Nyström, Kent Osborne, Aleks Sennwald, Pendleton Ward, Steve Wolfhard, and Somvilay Xayaphone

Beginning today, Islands is also available on DVD, iTunes, Amazon Video, and Google Play. But please tag your spoilers.
KingOfOoo

I've been thinking about the fact that the title card for "Two Swords" seemed to imply his Magic Arm would manifest itself again but it never appeared in the episode itself. Finn was almost immediately fitted with the bionic arm at the beginning of the ep and that was that. Huh.

Ogodei

Damn, didn't know this was back and i've been watching a bit of CN every day (was watching yesterday at 5:30-ish while working out and didn't see an ad for it). Good going, Cartoon Network.

Timeslot's a bit tricky for me, but will be straight-impossible during the week of the Steven Bomb if i want to catch that too.

And they've been advertising Steven Bomb, not a lick of ads for Adventure Time S8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom