• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kong: Skull Island any good?

Poor characters, average story, but delivers on the monster action you might want from this kind of movie and has a lot of style while doing it. If that's what you're there for, you'll be happy. For a monster fan, I would recommend it. Just don't expect much from the writing.

I'm a monster fan and I thought it was trash.

It's not even good monster action half the time.

I'm trying to remember what I said in the OT, but I think it was something like Vogt-Roberts probably would have had a better chance entertaining the audience if he just ran around the theater with his storyboards and tried to describe the movie with Whoosh and Rarrrr noises.

J_Viper

Skull Island is fucking terrible. It really is. Despite the money poured into it, and the the quality of the cinematography and the visual effects, there is almost nothing in it that fucking works in the slightest.

It's like someone hit Zack Snyder in the head with a large object, spun him in a circle 5 times, put a camera in his hand, and yelled in his year to go run at the imaginary monkey..

The most disappointing thing about Kong isn't that all those actors are completely wasted (Shea Whigham is the only one to register as a real character) it's that Vogt-Roberts seems to get off on taking most setups and swerving them into nothing. There are so many instances where the film builds to a payoff, and then completely fucks up that payoff. Maybe he thought he was being clever (?), I don't know. Maybe he was just dizzy from the rock to the head and the constant spinning and falling down that happened right before the AD called "action!"

But there is nothing satisfying about anything in the movie. Even Whigham's character, the flattest (and therefore most consistent) arc, manages to take a hard left turn into uselessness at the last second.

It's so inept that it can't stop itself from fucking up it's stupid post-credits scene. It can't even catch its own case of superhero herpes correctly.

If Skull Island was a person, it'd be an excitable bucktooth idiot with a cowlick and a full load of recycled meat in his drawers, excitedly trying to share the details of last night's football game and forgetting where he is every 3 minutes.

I hope Godzilla whips his fucking ass.

Holy fuck lol

I enjoyed the movie, but I can't disagree with any of this

Would've liked to check this out myself but didn't get around to it in time, no cheapy theater here either for holdovers. Been reading the novelization, fairly good for this type of thing. Sounds like it might be better than the actual film. Will see in July with the bluray.

Would've liked to check this out myself but didn't get around to it in time, no cheapy theater here either for holdovers. Been reading the novelization, fairly good for this type of thing. Sounds like it might be better than the actual film. Will see in July with the bluray.

I genuinely had no idea they still did movie novelisations, huh

The Light

As someone who rarely goes to watch a movie I found this film to be whack.
Only stand out scene for me was the one with the helicopters. After that I didn't find any of the action satisfying. As for the characters they were all forgettable. The film wants you to care about these characters (at least some of them) but puts no effort in to get you invested in any of them, Kong included.

dcelw540

It's pretty much shit. It has a bit more scene time for Kong then Godzilla but not much. And the fight scene at the end isn't as good as godzilla's either.

I really enjoyed it, beautiful to watch, good actors with good performances and some great action. And story wasn't as bad as some say here. Oh and I enjoyed Jacksons King Kong too, so take that into consideration.

It's phenomenal. Some of the most fun I've had in a theater since Godzilla, and a very strong entry into this bizzare franchise. It's just so wonderfully excessive, in nearly every way. There are enough characters and plotlines to fill two very different movies, and Roberts persues both without blinking. The tone jumps from awe, to humor, to the horrors of war with every scene. The plot is almost nonsensical, and lean heavily on some pretty dated B-movie stereotypes and tropes.

Tom Hiddleston turns in a performance that is bizzarrely forgettable. He's cast as the core action star, yet does nothing of substance within the core plot - aside from guiding the group into further danger. If the movie ended with a twist that Hiddleston was secretly working for the subterranean monsters the whole time - it would make perfect sense.

I just love it so much.

Ultryx

It's not amazing, but if you like monster flicks you should enjoy it. Some really neat stuff in there. Go in with level expectations and just enjoy it for what it is.

gfxtwin

Skull Island is fucking terrible. It really is. Despite the money poured into it, and the the quality of the cinematography and the visual effects, there is almost nothing in it that fucking works in the slightest.

It's like someone hit Zack Snyder in the head with a large object, spun him in a circle 5 times, put a camera in his hand, and yelled in his year to go run at the imaginary monkey..

The most disappointing thing about Kong isn't that all those actors are completely wasted (Shea Whigham is the only one to register as a real character) it's that Vogt-Roberts seems to get off on taking most setups and swerving them into nothing. There are so many instances where the film builds to a payoff, and then completely fucks up that payoff. Maybe he thought he was being clever (?), I don't know. Maybe he was just dizzy from the rock to the head and the constant spinning and falling down that happened right before the AD called "action!"

But there is nothing satisfying about anything in the movie. Even Whigham's character, the flattest (and therefore most consistent) arc, manages to take a hard left turn into uselessness at the last second.

It's so inept that it can't stop itself from fucking up it's stupid post-credits scene. It can't even catch its own case of superhero herpes correctly.

If Skull Island was a person, it'd be an excitable bucktooth idiot with a cowlick and a full load of recycled meat in his drawers, excitedly trying to share the details of last night's football game and forgetting where he is every 3 minutes.

ok.

Not particularity good, no.

I thought it was really poor. And I was really just expecting a pop corn flick.

But for the record I also was greatly disappointed by Jurassic Park so I guess my standards might be too high for those movies.

whooaaa surely you mean Jurassic World?

I'd say it's just "ok". Mostly it's elevated by some cool action scenes and it's presentation of a world full of things out to murder you.

Best time I've had at the movies in awhile. It's not high art but it's fun as fuck. Exactly what I wanted from Jurassic World and didn't get by a long shot.

It worth watching but I don't know if I would ever watch it again.

Honestly the movie would have been a better as a horror movie where no one makes it off the island. 2hrs of monster fights and wondering who's next and how they will go.

Needed more John C at any rate.

It was pretty meh. Can't really remember anything from the movie other than "Bitch please" and I had completely forgotten that Tom Hiddleston was in it until I googled the movie ten seconds ago.

It wasn't Jurassic World levels of so terrible I was angry at having seen it but it's not good enough for me to ever want to watch it again.

It's pretty much shit. It has a bit more scene time for Kong then Godzilla but not much. And the fight scene at the end isn't as good as godzilla's either.

We must have seen different movies. The one i saw probably had more kong in the first main encounter than what i saw of godzilla in godzilla.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is now on streaming, and I checked it out on Amazon Video. I did enjoy several scenes, but the whole does not hold together. Some really dumb things happen (like in the
graveyard scene
late in the movie where they apparently have time to set up
a huge gun on a triceratops skull
in order to fend off an attack -- but they really need to keep moving, not digging in) and the characters are thin as paper.

Shea Whigham continues to be a good actor who needs more roles.

Also, much of this is accurate:

Sephzilla

Skull Island was fun and better than Godzilla 2014.

The title monster isn't hidden in darkness most of the time, they don't hard cut away any time something cool happens, and the movie doesn't kill off its most interesting character in the first act

This movie was...bad. John C Reilly was the only fun part of it and he also seemed out of place.

Peter Jackson's King Kong is the definitive Kong movie.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's crap.

Bummed, too, since I really like the cast in this. Cinematography, too. But God damn is it an affront to good monster movies.

Fuck Kong: Skull Island

Jackson's King Kong for life.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Eh not really. The visuals and Kong itself is great, but the rest like story(or rather mission) and characters (except for John C Reilly) which takes up the most screen time is boring. It's such a shame since there are many great actors in it.

Sephzilla

Dont watch Lawrence of Arabia then, if your criteria for good movies is just runtime.

My criteria isn't runtime. My criteria is that Jackson's movie is unnecessarily padded and too long for a story that can easily be told in half the time. It's too drawn out in a similar way to how The Hobbit is too drawn out.

It is one of those movies that lack is something to really shine.

All the base components are there, good actors, good (average) plot, excepcional CGI and good directing.

But like a bag of wrong legos, they just don´t fit together and become a B+ movie.

Hoepfully its next iteration will be better.

It's actually a pretty fun movie. Rewatched it last night and enjoyed it, though my first experience in the theater was better overall. Could be when I first saw it I had lower expectations.

No it's pretty bad.

None of the characters are good either despite a stacked cast. The only good parts are a couple cool visuals and one Kong fight.

wwm0nkey

Very meh movie. The constant use of slowmo in action scenes sucked a lot.

Also very stupid scene involving a lighter to give a character some development but still ended up being a shell of a character....actually I think that was every character expect John C Riley

Sephzilla

John C Riley saved the movie from having a Godzilla 2014 level of boring characters. I wasn't expecting that feels bomb at the end

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Its alright. The characters are pretty dull other than John C. Reilly's, but it has unique monsters and fun action scenes.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd say it's a good bad film.

It's pretty, kind of weird and all over the place. Fun action for the most part, but nothing inspiring. Characters aren't great, but nothing downright terrible. A few have some great moments though. There's more than a few missed opportunities or abrupt choices, but some of them are so sudden and unexpected it kind of works.

It's a big dumb action monster movie. It kind of acts like its serious at times like Godzilla, but then completely cuts itself off at the knees with tons of bizarre wacky shit and super stereotype characters that you know it's all a joke. I've wasted many hours on far far worse movies and I can't say I wouldn't waste a few more watching this again.

Sephzilla

I'd say it's a good bad film.

It's pretty, kind of weird and all over the place. Fun action for the most part, but nothing inspiring. Characters aren't great, but nothing downright terrible. A few have some great moments though. There's more than a few missed opportunities or abrupt choices, but some of them are so sudden and unexpected it kind of works.

It's a big dumb action monster movie. It kind of acts like its serious at times like Godzilla, but then completely cuts itself off at the knees with tons of bizarre wacky shit. I've wasted many hours on far far worse movies and I can't say I wouldn't waste a few more watching this again.

Yeah, I'd say this is a good assessment of it. It's kind of in that Independence Day tier of dumb fun movies, although Independence Day has better characters.

Blader

John C Riley saved the movie from having a Godzilla 2014 level of boring characters. I wasn't expecting that feels bomb at the end

yeah, he was surprisingly good. The trailers made him out as a joke character but he actually is the heart of the movie. I also kinda liked what they were going for with Jackson's revenge-driven character, though thought it was kind of rushed.

The rest...may as well not even exist. Why is Hiddleston's character an expert tracker and mercenary? Why is Larson's a war photographer? These details are completely meaningless.

Daingurse

I re-watched Kong on Blu-Ray with my brother last night. I fucking love this movie lol. It's totally a throwback to old-school monster movies.

Seijuro

It's a good monster movie with nice effects, Skull Island itself was great.

After seeing it I was wondering why spend so much money on an ensemble cast with lots of big names if you don't give them anything to work with.

I watched both of Legendary's monster movies just recently and they're both varying degrees of mediocre, but Kong's directing is a lot more amateurish. The monster action is alright but nothing hits the same level of what G14 had. Kong is basically a western monster movie from the 50s with just one good character and a ton of CGI.

Top Bottom