• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man here comes a new challenger.

How does this TV fare compared to the Samsung KS8000 of the same size?

the ks8000 is better in almost every category, though it's quite a bit more expensive. the x800d runs android which is much better than tizen

best budget 4k/hdr tv:
sony x800d

best mid range 4k/hdr tv:
samsung ks8000

best high end 4k/hdr set:
LG oled (b6 or e6)

chaosaeon

I am not affilated with the place....but I see a lot of ppl thinking about the ks8000 so I'll mention where I got mine again.

I got a 65 " ks8000 at hifi city for 2350 +tax.

I have not seen it that low anywhere else.

I looked at the website which says to contact them for prices. They told me they haven't heard of the 49", and then couldn't give me a solid price on the 55". Also the background noise during the call was unreal and I could barely understand the person who answered (which happened both times I called)First time I called they asked for my number and said they call back and didn't.

Edit : For anyone who has theories, a couple people have told me that TVs would likely all drop in price after xmas, but not to the extent that we're seeing these sales right ? Are the deals generally better after xmas or should I be jumping on one now ? Last thing I'd want is to get one and then after xmas the price goes lower than the sale I just got a couple months earlier. I'm also worried if I don't do it now it will jump back up and I'll be out of luck. Are most of you looking at TVs feeling that same uncertainty ?

Dazzler

HOT!!! Xbox Live deal here TitanFall 2 and Battlefield1 are both $47.99 each for Xbox Live Gold Members. The deluxe version for each is $60 and they also have them both as a combo package for $85 right now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-CA/sto...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-7a9Gskxds4xHz6RYaBQ_hg)()

This is for the Deluxe Combo
https://www.microsoft.com/en-CA/sto...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-Ubd6JCrjgUKBEMBg.OXMzQ)()

Hell of a deal

I've already got both, if not I'd jump on this

Ryde3

Madness

I now own both the 65" KS8000 and the 43" X800D. I would give the edge in color to the Sony hands down. However the HDR and display of the KS8000 is better. Android 6.0 TV on Sony way better than Samsung Tizen os. Both are probably the best bang for the buck televisions you can buy. The KS8000 is horrendously overpriced here though. Even if you don't find any deals, would be almost thousand plus dollars for you to buy in the states and drive it over paying the taxes as well. Or ship it over. I got ny X800D because good friend is an LD employee and I got it on his discount of around $699 plus eco levy as tv is actually $899 etc.

I now own both the 65" KS8000 and the 43" X800D. I would give the edge in color to the Sony hands down. However the HDR and display of the KS8000 is better. Android 6.0 TV on Sony way better than Samsung Tizen os. Both are probably the best bang for the buck televisions you can buy. The KS8000 is horrendously overpriced here though. Even if you don't find any deals, would be almost thousand plus dollars for you to buy in the states and drive it over paying the taxes as well. Or ship it over. I got ny X800D because good friend is an LD employee and I got it on his discount of around $699 plus eco levy as tv is actually $899 etc.

This is awesome. Thanks for this. Is the difference night and day? And would you say the HDR performance on the Sony is "nice", in the way that it still creates an impression on the viewer?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Thanks for this, how does HDR compare, espcially with explosions and bright scenes?
If it's not too much hassle, can you take a pic of each running something like Gears or Forza HDR? Or Ratchet if you have?

Haines

Banned
I don't believe pics work.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer but just trying to help. There's multiple threads many pages long on strictly the difference between these TVs

Those will probably help you more than a Canadian deals thread

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
BF1 and TF2 for $85 is a GREAT deal. Ill jump on that if PSN has it

Don't mean to be a Debbie downer but just trying to help. There's multiple threads many pages long on strictly the difference between these TVs

I appreciate your stance. Respectfully, I will say I have browsed those threads closely and no one has provided as much information as Madness has above. I've only been able to find short statements like "HDR is better on the KS8000", which any site can tell you. He's also one of the few who seems to own both, so it's understandable we would seek further detail from him.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That feel when you get the free standard shipping game from Canada Post before the release day Prime shipped order being delivered by the Amazon courier.

This makes no sense to me.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Yea I know HDR doesn't translate in pictures but I want to see relative differences in black levels and colors. But then again both TVs are good so there might not be enough discrepancy.

antibolo

Banned
My biggest question between the two is the input lag. Especially under various situations, like HDR vs. no HDR, and upscaled 720p/1080p (I'm not going to connect only my Pro to it).

If the KS8000 has lower lag then it is definitely worth the extra price for me.

My biggest question between the two is the input lag. Especially under various situations, like HDR vs. no HDR, and 1080p (I'm not going to connect only my Pro to it).

They're both good in terms of lag from what I understand. Look them both up on rtings.com and you can see tests for both.

The 43 inch is the one I've been wanting. Hmmm.

How much better do you guys think Black Friday will be than this (if at all)?

I'm betting this is it until xmas. Since Best Buy was sold out of the 43 locally, I started watching London Drugs and their prices matched accordingly. LD's holiday flyer shows $800 as the price up until dec.24 so I wouldn't be surprised if BB is the same.

etta

my hard graphic balls
My biggest question between the two is the input lag. Especially under various situations, like HDR vs. no HDR, and upscaled 720p/1080p (I'm not going to connect only my Pro to it).

Both are excellent for gaming with 20-30 ms max in HDR 4K. You won't notice the difference between them on that front.

Madness

This is awesome. Thanks for this. Is the difference night and day? And would you say the HDR performance on the Sony is "nice", in the way that it still creates an impression on the viewer?

Difference between the two night and day? Not necessarily. The KS8000 is the better television and the HDR effect is more pronounced. Side by side you would obviously see the KS8000 is the better television. But thr HDR performance on the Sony is great, not just nice. Very capable set. 4k look great. I made a post on another thread. Just highlighting the difference of 4K SDR and 4K HDR. I have touched nothing beyond turning HDR off. The regular image is full vivid mode as well. It makes it look oversaturated with my phone, but with HDR the princess looked amazing in the shot.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=224867400

So yeah, both sets will give you great 4K and HDR, the KS8000 is just full over 1100 nits brightness for HDR10 spec. The night and day difference would be between an OLED and the Sony Z9D FALD instead of these edge lit televisions.

antibolo

Banned
Both are excellent for gaming with 20-30 ms max in HDR 4K. You won't notice the difference between them on that front.

Yeah but what about an upscaled source? That's where TVs tend to perform the worst, they'll put too much post-processing into making that upscale look "better" (aka. not really).

Same. Though that KS8000 for $1400 at BH Photo is awfully tempting.
But if they have the X800D for ~$700 at Best Buy, I'll just go with that even though it's not as good for blacks and contrast when compared to the KS8000.
And I'd much rather have Android TV over that Samsung horsefuckery of an OS.
size 43 should be good enough for my bedroom im sure heh, might stick with the Sony one if the price drops a little on BF

You're right about that, especially if you are in the optimal viewing distance. Do you own an X800D?

I will probaby buy one, eventually, but its hard to justify over $1k for a TV that viewing distance may render the 4k picture effect somewhat dimished. HDR is cool, no doubt.

I also just bought a 1080p LED TV last month for under $500 to replace a 10yr old 1080p LCD, with the initial intention to try it, prove to myself I should've gone 4K, then return it for a 4k TV. Ended up keeping it! I am incredibly pleased with the picture quality. Shocked, in fact. Better than the 4k TVs my friends bought last year for 2x-3x the money. I'm now a believer in high end 1080p > average 4k.

Basically, go all in with a rich feature set on 4k/HDR or dont bother, IMO :)

Madness

The 43" is allllwwwaaaysss sold out... Sigh.

Very limited quantities due to Sony set pricing so retailera are afraid to stock up en masse without the ability to slash or clear stock. It took me a month for London Drugs to get it in stock so I could buy mine.

I will try and post images of HDR between the two models, but it is hard on a phone. I will say 4K and HDR is worth it. I cannot go back to 1080p and am eagerly awaiting our 4K future. I watched Daredevil, Luke Cage at 4K. 4K remastered movies even make their 1080p downsampled versions look great, look at Ghostbusters 2 4K and then the same new remaster at 1080p etc.

DoT2

HOT!!! Xbox Live deal here TitanFall 2 and Battlefield1 are both $47.99 each for Xbox Live Gold Members. The deluxe version for each is $60 and they also have them both as a combo package for $85 right now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-CA/sto...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-7a9Gskxds4xHz6RYaBQ_hg)()

This is for the Deluxe Combo
https://www.microsoft.com/en-CA/sto...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-Ubd6JCrjgUKBEMBg.OXMzQ)()

Is there any chance this will also be a ps+ deal? This deal is so amazing! I can get it for the Xbox one but I just got the pro and want to play these games on that.

Eoyote

Neo Member
Wow, I got my Pokemon Sun/Moon on release as a non-prime member. Delivered by intelcom to boot. I must be dreaming...

Just traded my PS4, apparently I got $210 + 10% edge bonus + 50. I thought I would either get $175+10%+50 or just $210+50, heh.

Stat!

That feel when you get the free standard shipping game from Canada Post before the release day Prime shipped order being delivered by the Amazon courier.

well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm in toronto, within 20 minutes of their warehouse, and i won't have it shipped till next monday. Standard shipping too

Clive

Is there any chance this will also be a ps+ deal? This deal is so amazing! I can get it for the Xbox one but I just got the pro and want to play these games on that.

Last year's Black Friday Flash Sale on PSN was focused on AAA Blockbusters so I would expect the same this year. Whether or not the deal on these games will be as good is uncertain though. This is damn good considering how new the games are.

IceIpor

yay

b927b3c8c03046329aac7b6a7e04295c.png
That was fast for cross country and multiple stops.

I'm sympathetic to your dilemma, but I can't deny I'm ecstatic about my free service.
9:26 AM
Your package was delivered.
YORK, ON, CA
8:55 AM
Out for delivery
YORK, ON, CA

I looked at the website which says to contact them for prices. They told me they haven't heard of the 49", and then couldn't give me a solid price on the 55". Also the background noise during the call was unreal and I could barely understand the person who answered (which happened both times I called)First time I called they asked for my number and said they call back and didn't.

Edit : For anyone who has theories, a couple people have told me that TVs would likely all drop in price after xmas, but not to the extent that we're seeing these sales right ? Are the deals generally better after xmas or should I be jumping on one now ? Last thing I'd want is to get one and then after xmas the price goes lower than the sale I just got a couple months earlier. I'm also worried if I don't do it now it will jump back up and I'll be out of luck. Are most of you looking at TVs feeling that same uncertainty ?

I had the same experience when I called. Customer service is shit lol. I called the guy back 3 times before I got a price. He said he hates giving prices over the phone because he gets in shit from other stores regarding price matching. I guess that's how they keep their overhead low.

All I care about is the TV is legit and the price was awesome.

EA seems to be comfy with Microsoft. Not necessarily with Titanfall 2 but definitely with BF1 and of course they have EA Access.

I'm not sure you see this come to PS+.

NYR

Best Buy/Future Shop cancelled my 3 year old Final Fantasy XV $39.99 pre-order.

It was my final E3 2013 pre-order for $39.99. I called up and the rep couldn't even find my order number anymore, they completely scrubbed it from the system. All I can do it laugh about it, pretty shady.

Meanwhile still has not shipped for us prime members.......

It's not THAT bad if they tell you that there's gonna be a delay for whatever reason(even if you preordered 6 months ago and it's been in stock all that time...) but when they charge you the day before and tell you that's it's gonna ship today and be delivered tomorrow then you expect that it's gonna be fine.

The thing is that it ends up not shipping and then the next day it updates to "Shipping Today - Delivered Today" which is clearly not happening either.

This is getting infuriating since you can't even trust the goddamn order status...

Lexxism

It was my final E3 2013 pre-order for $39.99. I called up and the rep couldn't even find my order number anymore, they completely scrubbed it from the system. All I can do it laugh about it, pretty shady.
How did you know it was cancelled? You received an email?

BadHand

When did you receive your last bi-weekly update from them? Mine was on November 6th.

Bronetta

well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm in toronto, within 20 minutes of their warehouse, and i won't have it shipped till next monday. Standard shipping too

That was fast for cross country and multiple stops.

I'm sympathetic to your dilemma, but I can't deny I'm ecstatic about my free service.
9:26 AM
Your package was delivered.
YORK, ON, CA
8:55 AM
Out for delivery
YORK, ON, CA

I just received both orders of Sun and Moon. Hope everyone else receives their shipments soon.

I had the same issue. I called to update my CC info and they said they couldn't find the order.

They said to make a new preorder on BB and they will apply a discount. I can't see any discount right now, but maybe it's because it's a preorder... and it will be $40 when it ships? Anyone had experience with this?

Not confident that BB just fucked it up and is going to charge me full price, and then make me go return it. Bleh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom