• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP RPGs for Vita, what to get?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I just bought half-minute hero based on the recommendation here and on the Official Playstation podcast.

Good $10 spent?

I hate to see Jeanne getting put down so hard. Comparing it to Tactic's Ogre is unfair. We all know TO is incredibly. That doesn't mean anything that isn't TO sucks.

Jeanne is a delightful game and as others have said, an A effort all around. Play both.

Seventy5

Does anyone know any PSP games similar to Shiren the Wanderer? I see the Wii version at my store every day, and I want to play it, but I'm not buying a Wii.

Also, anyone played Warriors of the Lost Empire? I watched a couple videos and it looks like a decent grindy dungeon crawler, just wanted to know if anyone has a warning that it's crap or something.

Grimmy

Banned
Does anyone know any PSP games similar to Shiren the Wanderer? I see the Wii version at my store every day, and I want to play it, but I'm not buying a Wii.

Also, anyone played Warriors of the Lost Empire? I watched a couple videos and it looks like a decent grindy dungeon crawler, just wanted to know if anyone has a warning that it's crap or something.

I'd say the closest is Cladun: This is an RPG, which I also highly recommend. Plus the music is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvX2mf1wQQ

As for the second question, my favorite PSP dungeon crawler is probably Dungeon Siege. You should check that one out.

Himself

I haven't played a Disgaea game and when I get a Vita I plan on changing that. It seems that the general consensus is that the first and fourth games are the best. Should I start with the first? Has it aged well? Or would I be better off hopping straight into 4? I have no problem with older games--I play them all the time--I'm just looking for the most enjoyable experience.

Edit: I'm aware that D3 and D4 aren't out on Vita yet. I'm just wondering what the best way to get into the series is.

Kiraly

GAF, Ys: Oath of Felghana or Ys Seven? Will be my first game in this series, haven't played any of them before.

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't played a Disgaea game and when I get a Vita I plan on changing that. It seems that the general consensus is that the first and fourth games are the best. Should I start with the first? Has it aged well? Or would I be better off hopping straight into 4? I have no problem with older games--I play them all the time--I'm just looking for the most enjoyable experience.

Edit: I'm aware that D3 and D4 aren't out on Vita yet. I'm just wondering what the best way to get into the series is.

The first is better than the second story wise, but the second is a fair bit better if you're really into the post game content.

I think D3 isn't quite as good as D2 in terms of post-game content and mechanics...I haven't played D4 enough so I'm not quite sure how it stacks up, but the story/characters are at least really entertaining.

kuroshiki

GAF, Ys: Oath of Felghana or Ys Seven? Will be my first game in this series, haven't played any of them before.

If you are first in the series go for YS seven. YS 3 is alright, especially music is the killer, but YS seven actually has better combat system and far more entertaining to play.

Since it'll be your first game, Go with SEVEN; it's much easier then Oath, and is much longer. I prefer Oath since it's more challenger, has a better story and soundtrack, and has an emphasis on platforming.

First Disgaea game was D3 and loved it; went back and played the PSP port of D1 and found that it hasn't aged well. Gameplay is much slower and isn't as fluid as D3's.

On the subject of Ys:

Oath is one of the best games I've ever played, with excellent pacing once you get past that tiny, overly yakky bump at the start of the game. I'd recommend it above any PSP game currently playable on Vita.

Ys 7 is good, but it's kinda bloated. Way too much dialogue. None of it very interesting. I eventually started skipping through it and my enjoyment increased immensely. Maybe it's best to play it before Oath, because I think Oath is a much better game, but if you're only going to buy one get Oath.

Ys I & II Chronicles is worse than the 8-bit versions. Level design and progression were tweaked. The camera's zoomed in tighter while the size of the world was increased. This causes the game to feel simultaneously sprawling yet cramped. In the originals you get off a boat, talk for a few seconds, get a sword, then start killing shit. In Chronicles it takes much longer to get to the action. It becomes a typical RPG intro. It is awful. I couldn't even finish Ys I, and that game's like 6 hours long. I still think the PC Engine version of I & II is the best.

Half Minute Hero is the other best PSP game. Better than the XBLA version cuz you can at least control the damn thing thanks to the good dpad. And it's $10! Xseed has great PSN prices and I will probably rebuy a few games I have on UMD because of this. I hope Atlus follow their lead, cuz I'd like to play Persona 3 and a few others, but I'm not paying friggin' $40. But if you're feeling more spendy P3P is a must buy.

Himself

The first is better than the second story wise, but the second is a fair bit better if you're really into the post game content.

I think D3 isn't quite as good as D2 in terms of post-game content and mechanics...I haven't played D4 enough so I'm not quite sure how it stacks up, but the story/characters are at least really entertaining.

Cool. Yeah, it seems that most people tend to think the first has the best story.

First Disgaea game was D3 and loved it; went back and played the PSP port of D1 and found that it hasn't aged well. Gameplay is much slower and isn't as fluid as D3's.

Maybe if I start with 1 and enjoy it, it'll be easier to move forward with the mechanics than take a step backward and have to deal with something a bit slower/clunkier.

UberTag

Anyone that does not own The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky... you need to purchase it for $20 or you're not really a JRPG fan. Sorry.

chickdigger802 summarizes all of the reasons as to why in his earlier post.

Grimmy

Banned
Ys I & II Chronicles is worse than the 8-bit versions. Level design and progression were tweaked. The camera's zoomed in tighter while the size of the world was increased. This causes the game to feel simultaneously sprawling yet cramped. In the originals you get off a boat, talk for a few seconds, get a sword, then start killing shit. In Chronicles it takes much longer to get to the action. It becomes a typical RPG intro. It is awful. I couldn't even finish Ys I, and that game's like 6 hours long. I still think the PC Engine version of I & II is the best.

I cannot even begin to describe how much I disagree with you. Yes, Ys I is a bit of a disaster, but if you didn't even play Ys II then you cannot dismiss the entire game. Ys II Chronicles is by far *the* best Ys game I ever played - and I have played Y I-IV on the PC-Engine. It corrects all the issues with Ys I Chronicles and has some of the best bosses, the best music, and some excellent new gameplay mechanic (especially the Roo disguise)!.

I think you should go back and play Ys II. You won't be disappointed.

Audioboxer

Really wanted The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but its £27.99 here, just too damn much for now.

Went with Tactics Ogre, Disgaea and Lunar Silver Harmony after reading this review - http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Lunar_Silver_Star_Harmony/index.html

Wanted one non tactical RPG, and it was a toss up between that and Ys Seven.

Once I have more dosh I'll return to clean up the titles I don't have - Also, damn 8GB Vita card is simply not enough.

Grimmy

Banned
Audίoboxer;35440155 said:
Really wanted The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but its £27.99 here, just too damn much for now.

Went with Tactics Ogre, Disgaea and Lunar Silver Harmony after reading this review - http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Lunar_Silver_Star_Harmony/index.html

Once I have more dosh I'll return to clean up the titles I don't have - Also, damn 8GB Vita card is simply not enough.

I am disappointed in you.

Look at the PSP bundles and check out Valkyria Chronicles 2 on sale for $22.99. It comes with about 20 bonuc DLC missions. I say on sale because the other version in the store is still $39.99 last i checked.

This is the US PSN Store.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'll recommend:

Trails in the Sky
Ys Seven
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (haven't played but heard it was awesome)
Tactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate (haven't played but heard it was awesome)

CorvoSol

Here are my recommendations from all the PSP RPGs I've played (that cam work on the Vita at least):

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Half-Minute Hero
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys 7
Ys I & II Chronicles (for Ys II only - the best Ys game out there!)
Jeanne d'Arc
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Cladun: This is an RPG!
Hexyz Force (male scenario only)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Not played, so no comment:

The 3rd Birthday
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection
ClaDun x2
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Fate/Extra
Jikandia: The Timeless Land
Knights in the Nightmare
Valkyria Chronicles 2

Third Birthday felt more like a shooter than an RPG to me. Game has lots of replay value, for what that's worth.

Audίoboxer;35440155 said:

Agh, don't pick the crud version of Lunar! There was an entire GAF thread that mostly came down to "the PSP and GBA versions are NOT your friend."

ryushe

Is Jeanne d'Arc available on the US Vita store or are some titles only available to purchase via the PS3's PSN?

edit:
Just read through the thread and some of you guys are crazy. Jeanne d'Arc is a great game. I already finished it when it originally came out and I still have fond memories of my time with it. The only downfalls the game has was in the fact that it was entirely too easy. I remember pretty much destroying most battles with just the games main characters since you almost never needed the games secondary characters. And, from what I remember or lack there of, the story was very forgettable.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I want to suggest an incredibly underrated srpg: generation of chaos.

It has 2 apparently huge mistakes:
1)at the beginning it's incredibly difficult to understand how to play because the manual isn't good and the terms used in the game are obscure, but it's easy to learn everything with a little trial & error(like me) or with the free and complete downloadable guide.
2)at the beginning battles look slow, and sometimes are slow due to the number of units on the screen(30 vs 30), but it's not a real negative point because you can have better control of the battle.

But it has a lot of pro:
1)very very very addictive
2)a lot of stories(11 if i remember correctly) + random generated campaigns
3)variety, a LOT of different units and generals
4)managment of diplomacy, fortifications, commerce, income, prisoners etc
5)different battle strategies(kill everyone, kill the general, destroy city walls, in certain case you can simply surpass the enemy etc)
6)on psn it costs less than 10€(i don't remember the exact price)
And many more

I really liked it, this is a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NIADfH1J0

EDIT:
on the store there's aedis eclipse: generation of chaos too, i think it's the sequel, but i don't know if it's better or not.

I cannot even begin to describe how much I disagree with you. Yes, Ys I is a bit of a disaster, but if you didn't even play Ys II then you cannot dismiss the entire game. Ys II Chronicles is by far *the* best Ys game I ever played - and I have played Y I-IV on the PC-Engine. It corrects all the issues with Ys I Chronicles and has some of the best bosses, the best music, and some excellent new gameplay mechanic (especially the Roo disguise)!.

I think you should go back and play Ys II. You won't be disappointed.
Well that's interesting! I'll have to give it another shot. That's often something I'm secretly hoping for when I bitch -- that someone will come along and point out something I may have missed. I dearly love the original Ys II and how it's some bizarre shooter/ARPG hybrid.

But why the hell isn't it on the Vita store.

Some people were able to buy it on PS3 and transfer it, right? How weird.

Thanks! Especially for being so polite!

Grimmy

Banned
Well that's interesting! I'll have to give it another shot. That's often something I'm secretly hoping for when I bitch -- that someone will come along and point out something I may have missed. I dearly love the original Ys II and how it's some bizarre shooter/ARPG hybrid.

But why the hell isn't it on the Vita store.

Some people were able to buy it on PS3 and transfer it, right? How weird.

Thanks! Especially for being so polite!

No prob! Do let us know what you think after. I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

finalhour

You should check out Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. It's a roguelike with a pretty good/funny/out there story and some unique mechanics. It's not a pure roguelike, in that there is some progression between dungeons and you can slowly build up your guy, but it still has some of the insta-death rogue tension to it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, got the tits game. Dont disappoint me GAF!

Reveirg

Audίoboxer;35418464 said:
Thanks again, picking up Ys Seven, either FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre (never played either*), and FFIV Complete. I want Person 3, but I'll wait for a sale.

*Tactical RPGs are not my bread and butter, have always avoided them, but where better to start with one of these titles... Now, WHICH ONE?

Hmmm hard to tell. Jeanne D'Arc is the lightest one but stilla great game, FFT and Tactics Ogre are close in quality. FFT might be easier to get into with all its FF tie-ins and its more accessible story, but the TO remake has some great modern gameplay elements (undos, the timeline thingie, etc.) that makes it a bit more accessible too.

Both ways, you're not mistaken at all, great games all around.

Grimmy

Banned
Congrats on all the new TiTS owners! Just a quick note - the game does start out slow. But rest assured that the game will ramp up in no time, just as the characters become more and more complex! Enjoy!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Alright, started playing Trails in the Sky. 2 hours in, I really like all the game mechanics the game seems to offer. I hope there is a good bit of rewarding exploration too. While walking through the first town once and talking to everyone I
"only" got one book out of it (and a bit of background story.)

Hopefully exploration will get a bit more exciting, but promising start.

the-iek

Ys 7 is about 15 Euro on the EU store, has anyone tried it on the Vita? Can I play it by transferring it from my PS3?

Top Bottom