• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRancor

If I somehow don't get Heaven's Feel III in cinemas because of this fallout somewhere down the line. People are going to die!
nHUiOnH.jpg

zulux21

Masamune-kun no Revenge 3

hmmm this is starting to remind me a lot of Nisekoi just with less enjoyable characters and a less enjoyable premise.

they aren't even all that similar, but something about how the characters interact reminds me of nisekoi.

ibyea

Banned
Rakugo S2: 1
Sad fate of a dying art form. It is interesting that Yakumo just wants to kill it.

Not anime, but
John Wick: 1-2
Dude shoots people like he is playing Time Crisis. Movie is good though, and it helps that there is a humorous undertone.

Jintor

today's brain decisions:

1. dropping gabdrop
2. going to pretend that last episode of maiddragon didn't happen and continue on

TheChaos0

I haven't seen seen either. Thanks, I'll check them out.

If Lain is about the mind, Tehxnolyze is about the body and Haibane Renmei is about the spirit.

Panty & Stocking ep.4

Speaking of stereotypes, this show is terrible, but so friggen funny at the same time. The fat girl bit wasn't that great, but the panty run? Oh my, lol. So many things wrong, but so damn funny about this garbage l.

The show was so good and so garbage at the same time...I just don't know what to think about it! Fly away now...fly away now....fly awaaaaaaay....

Showa Rakugo Ep 10

Sounds like a perfect rakugo following a funeral.

Gintama Ep 323

About time Kagura, kick your good for nothing brother's ass. Next episode should be good... Kagura's mum incoming? Damn you Usturo, you got your fingers in every single pie out there.

/XX/

On the topic of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt; I'm quite amused by some of the reasonings between both parts (GAiNAX and TRIGGER Inc.) in regards to a continuation of that series, because when talking about the possibility of it the very same Hiroyuki Yamaga mentioned at Connichi 2016 that it would be "truly malicious" of them to not let TRIGGER "work on the project in question" if given the interest, adding that "Trigger doesn't need to have the rights for Panty & Stocking to produce a sequel":

ElduRSverO & Co. - OTACREW | Connichi 2016 : Longue Interview avec Yamaga et Sadamoto de Gainax said:
Je vois. Nous avons parlé des droits d'auteur juste avant, mais par exemple si M. Imaishi voulait faire une suite à Panty&Stocking, est-ce que vous cèderiez les droits à Trigger ?

Yamaga : En fait, il n'y a pas vraiment besoin de vendre les droits à Trigger. En gros, tant qu'il y a un projet, ce n'est pas important de savoir qui détient les droits. Beaucoup de gens se trompent sur ce sujet, mais on ne peut pas créer quelque chose simplement parce qu'on en a les droits, et les droits changent de main à un autre niveau. Les gens ont tendance à croire qu'on peut créer une œuvre juste en détenant les droits, mais ce n'est pas le cas. C'est pour ça que pour FLCL ou n'importe quoi d'autre, qui détient les droits n'a pas vraiment d'importance quand on crée ou planifie quelque chose, tant qu'ils ne sont pas dans les mains de quelqu'un de vraiment mal intentionné qui refuserait à un studio de réaliser l'œuvre en question. Donc Trigger n'a pas besoin des droits de Panty&Stocking pour produire une suite.

Following this Mr. Yamaga adds that maybe TRIGGER didn't get to it yet because "everyone is busy" in that studio, so they have "not enough time to work on a previous series" like P&SwG:

ElduRSverO & Co. - OTACREW | Connichi 2016 : Longue Interview avec Yamaga et Sadamoto de Gainax said:
Il n'y a encore eu aucune rumeur à propos d'ailleurs.

Yamaga : Pas étonnant, ils sont tous occupés chez Trigger, donc je pense qu'ils n'ont pas de temps pour produire une vieille série comme celle-ci.
https://www.otacrew.com/article/interview-gainax-sadamoto-yamaga-connichi-2016

So, here we have on the other hand the mighty Tatsuru Tatemoto (@Trigger_Tattun) who, during one of his recent incursions into 4Chan's /a/, in response to how the most recent CEMETERY HILLS 'dōjin' brought new content about P&SwG argued that "the creators still want to make more but can't due to copyright issue" (those creators are the GEEKS collective, that as explained before by Mr. Ōtsuka still retain certain rights to their work on the old project).

What can we really expect from all this back-and-forth?
Is this a smoke screen? :-D

DiGiKerot

https://www.facebook.com/ODEXanime/posts/1639005913074112

:facepalm:

Can't people just watch the shit they paid for without being idiots?

Reminds me of when someone at SLA tried to film the ending credits to Boruto on their phone. They got shut-down real fast on that one, thankfully.

Also, the sheer number of people I saw taking out their phones and taking pictures during screenings of Your Name was non-zero. Man, that stuff is so distracting.

Jarmel

Banned
Jarmel...help...

I see I was called.
Saga of Tanya the evil 4 eng dub

I mean...I like this, but I feel like it's missing something to make it more then just good.
Well that's his opin....

Why the fuck are you watching the dub? What is wrong with you?

Definitely not that. I like the english voices more then the japanese ones. I think it's just the MC is lacking? Maybe a good side-lead would be good. Also I need some emotions, which I have not yet have 4 episodes in.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Did you watch the Japanese version with the audio off?

DiGiKerot

fdWhyNP.png

Never thought I'd see DiGi with the hot takes.

I'm good for one a year. See you next February!

-edit- Although on a cinema related note, the various cinema chains in the U.K. are starting to list Silent Voice screenings for next month now. It's up in the Odeon site listings for one now, so check your local pictures houses, I guess.

TheChaos0

I'm good for one a year. See you next February!

-edit- Although on a cinema related note, the various cinema chains in the U.K. are starting to list Silent Voice screenings for next month now. It's up in the Odeon site listings for one now, so check your local pictures houses, I guess.

A quality movie, I'd highly recommend. Good to see more good anime films hitting the big screen in the UK. Although, if you are in or around London you can often find showings for relatively recent releases at smaller independent venues such as BFI or ICA.

DiGiKerot

A quality movie, I'd highly recommend. Good to see more good anime films hitting the big screen in the UK. Although, if you are in or around London you can often find showings for relatively recent releases at smaller independent venues such as BFI or ICA.

Oh, yeah, particularly with stuff like the Japan Foundation touring program which has been carrying the movie for the last month, but the chain cinemas picking up stuff is usually a positive in that it tends to ensure better media coverage, and that folks in the boonies like myself can actually see it (though, personally, I will have seen it twice by the end of this week).

Also, given that last I talked to the folks at AtA last October, they were only expecting the movie to be picked up on maybe 16 screens maximum, this has to be a big positive for them.

duckroll

John Wick 2

Pure pulp garbage sequel. Takes all the simplicity and fun from the first film and flushes it down the toilet in lieu of ~deep lore~ nonsense. The concept of the world of assassins in John Wick makes no sense, has no real internal logic, and is obviously a shitty attempt at cheesy comic book stuff. The action was really good. The fights in the middle and the end are top notch. The hall of mirrors was creative. The Rome scenes were all dreadful and boring. This is the Star Wars prequels of John Wick.

Will watch John Wick 3.

Qurupeke

John Wick 2

Pure pulp garbage sequel. Takes all the simplicity and fun from the first film and flushes it down the toilet in lieu of ~deep lore~ nonsense. The concept of the world of assassins in John Wick makes no sense, has no real internal logic, and is obviously a shitty attempt at cheesy comic book stuff. The action was really good. The fights in the middle and the end are top notch. The hall of mirrors was creative. The Rome scenes were all dreadful and boring. This is the Star Wars prequels of John Wick.

Will watch John Wick 3.

Who will clean up John Wick's mess?

Jarmel

Banned
I figured you probably wouldn't like it. The lore stuff was one of the more fun aspects of the film and I don't think it drags the film down long enough to be a significant damper.

Aki-at

Iria - 3

Some decent action this time and I really love some of the background shots in this show. Still there's a few issues look stormtrooper aiming and the use of slow effects just make some of the scenes worse.

LWA - 7

Forgot to throw this in here last night.

There wasn't really anything particularly strong about this episode until right at the end and I think the only part that got a laugh out of me was when Ursula pretended to be the goldfish teacher. I did enjoy her go off on the other teacher about Akko's improvement though, which the episode did well to show how she has improved.

Still the plot wildly swings to throwing Akko down in the dumps to giving her some serious plot armour and inconsistencies to keep her in the school.

Glad to hear this, admittedly I've probably watched less than 10 shorts but this is the best one.

I see I was called.

Well that's his opin....

Why the fuck are you watching the dub? What is wrong with you?

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Did you watch the Japanese version with the audio off?
Usually I try to watch the sub first and if it doesn't bring me any wow feelings, i will then just wait for the dub of it's a license Funimation has.

Dub is usually just the better experience for me.
GoldCrusader operates on the logic I used 4 years ago.

Whereas if there's a dub, he'll watch that over the sub.
Yea that's mostly true, the only recent exemple of that not happening is GBF and GBF try because the dubs were awful!.

duckroll

So your major complaint has to do with the lore and the amount of time spent on it?

No I think the entire script pretty much sucked, the first 1/3 of the film after the opening segment was boring as hell, and well... nothing in the world of assassins really makes any sense. It's just poorly thought out. If you want to focus on something, make it good. Offering people 7 million dollars to kill John Wick is bad writing. People offering 7 million dollars to not have to go try kill John Wick would be good writing. Why does money even matter to a secret society of killers who can buy anything they want with magic gold coins?

Jarmel

Banned
No I think the entire script pretty much sucked, the first 1/3 of the film after the opening segment was boring as hell, and well... nothing in the world of assassins really makes any sense. It's just poorly thought out. If you want to focus on something, make it good. Offering people 7 million dollars to kill John Wick is bad writing. People offering 7 million dollars to not have to go try kill John Wick would be good writing. Why does money even matter to a secret society of killers who can buy anything they want with magic gold coins?

Wasn't that done in the first movie? Viggo puts a bounty of $2 million dollars, not coins. Bounties seem to be done in regular currency. Perkins pretty much is willing to break Continental rules over $4 million. $7 million dollars indeed seens to be a lot of money in that universe.

The only thing I feel is inconsistent is how the coin currency works but I don't care enough about that.

Tuck

LWA - 7
Why was Akko allowed into this school?
Why do the teachers not teach and guide their students?
Why does the responsibility of fixing Akko come down to one teacher?
Why does Akko still suck so much?
Why is one staff member allowed to openly bully another?
Why is one teacher given the same punishment and is treated the same as a student?
Why is magic seen as an out of date way to repair a shoe? Seems pretty cool to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom