• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog

Tried to make a Netherlands account to try Prison Architect, but kept running into an error with an invalid postcode

Has anyone been able to check it out?

Invert, $2.99
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/invert-a-minimal-puzzle-game/id1220540830
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrK02PA8Ih8
An promising puzzler, published by Noodlecake
lJhBvVul.png

RustyO

I would be fine if Apple would stop pestering me to update my device.

This does my head in.

I'm on a 4S with no intention to upgrade, and get multiple messages a day wanting me to upgrade. I was happy on, um, iOS5 (?) but had to go to iOS9 for technical reasons.

Wish I could just revert to an older iOS; or just disable the updates entirely as they add no value, and I don't use my phone for anything outside basic stuff (calls / messages / internet); everything else I use the iPad for.

killercow

Tried to make a Netherlands account to try Prison Architect, but kept running into an error with an invalid postcode

Has anyone been able to check it out?

I have! On top of the business model mentioned in the last page, it controls really well and features almost everything from the PC/console version including copy/paste and quick build options. Can't buy the full version though so I can't check if you can set a massive terrain in Sandbox or if it's reduced.

HotHamBoy

Is there a modern smt/persona-like game for the iphone?

Not to my knowledge. Nothing even close to either the systems or the themes.

I just started Planescape: Torment on iPad. First time playing this game or any Infinity Engine game.

It controls pretty well, I'm impressed graphics look quite nice. There's just A TON of shit making up the UI and it's a bit obtuse and cumbersome compared to modern games.

But hey, I got used to Darkest Dungeon on Vita so I'm sure I'll get into the flow with this.

BTW, is Darkest Dungeon coming to mobile? It would be an excellent iPad game!

Brakke

Banned
I picked up that Ticket To Earth from the OP recommendations here and its already pretty cool. I'm clearly still in tutorial mode -- it looks like I'll eventually have a party, or at least multiple characters to choose from? -- but I'm psyched about the core pathing / tactics conceit. Scratching an itch I haven't scratched since that weird little DS game Rondo of Swords.

Piotrek

it looks like I'll eventually have a party, or at least multiple characters to choose from?

Yep, you will. A limited one in the first episode, but that will probably change in the coming episodes.

On another note – does Planescape: Torment support cloud saves and hopping between iPhone/iPad?

ferr

Has anyone reached level 9 (Moon base alpha) in Bit City? It seems like it's impossible to get through it without cashing in prestige..

So got a new iPad and reinstalled all my old Cave shooters only to see the incompatible with upcoming iOS version message. Bummer. Anyone seen if that may get fixed?

awp69

So got a new iPad and reinstalled all my old Cave shooters only to see the incompatible with upcoming iOS version message. Bummer. Anyone seen if that may get fixed?

That sucks. Have a lot of those Cave shooters too and they weren't cheap. Hope they fix them but they also haven't put out anything new except a F2P shmup in years. So I'm not optimistic.

Rlan

Hey everybody! We've just announced our new title - Dungeon, Inc!

tYjtACpl.png

For those of you who played Doomsday Clicker, you're in for a treat. This clicker-tower-defense hybrid has been a treat to work on, and it's coming out soon!

Watch the trailer here!

Out on iOS & Android on May 11th! 2 and a bit weeks! Get hyped!!!

Message the devs somehow (website contact, twitter, whatever) to try to persuade them to update.
Other than that, just don't update if you really want to keep them working.

Peggle Classic got that message too which is one of the only games I care about that will be losing support with the next big update. Even that one I barely play, so I can probably live with it if they do drop support for it (Popcap has a F2P Peggle game that isn't the worst, but I paid money for the original and would like to keep it).

Two bigger ones I'll lose if they don't get updated are FTL and XCOM, but to be honest neither of them grabbed me as much as I thought they might.

HotHamBoy

Message the devs somehow (website contact, twitter, whatever) to try to persuade them to update.
Other than that, just don't update if you really want to keep them working.

Peggle Classic got that message too which is one of the only games I care about that will be losing support with the next big update. Even that one I barely play, so I can probably live with it if they do drop support for it (Popcap has a F2P Peggle game that isn't the worst, but I paid money for the original and would like to keep it).

Two bigger ones I'll lose if they don't get updated are FTL and XCOM, but to be honest neither of them grabbed me as much as I thought they might.

Not sure how you couldn't be enraptured by XCOM, that game is masochistic crack.

I want to talk about my latest mobile obsession real quick. It was released earlier this year but I didn't start playing until last week.

DHhj3c6e3veLyJNU6sckfw--O-pqRlefxZUVuRrH6vmZ8lwM0twV0jzz8D3UR_nCCg=h900

Gumballs & Dungeons (Free)

One of my absolutely favorite games on mobile is Rune Stone Keeper, a variation on Dungelot that I preferred.

Gumballs & Dungeons openly acknowledges these two games as the base of its design. What G&D adds to the formula is a vast collectathon/mining/upgrade element. The amount of playable character you can acquire is well over 100, there's a ton of dungeons to explore and things to upgrade.

10662_screen_1

The F2P aspect is so benign that I've yet to see a reason to spend any money unless you just want to throw the devs a bone.

Another really fun aspect of G&D is the crazy amount of fanservice nods to various video games, movies and other pop culture staples.

How could you not love a game that makes a direct reference to Rocket Slime Adventures??

latest

46640-Dragon_Quest_Heroes_-_Rocket_Slime_(U)(Legacy)-9.jpg

Costia

Looking for a modern, casual, JRPG (turn based, not action/tactical) for iPhone, preferably without micro-transactions or gacha mechanics.
JRPGs I liked: pokemon x/y,sun/moon, bravely default (didn't get very far in it).
Didn't play Persona 5, but it looks fun to me.
I don't like: "retro" visual style (low-res/8bit 2d sprites), lots of grinding, dark/gritty worlds.
Any recommendations?

Edit: I also prefer non-linear games with exploration.

Mudo

Looking for a modern, casual, JRPG (turn based, not action/tactical) for iPhone, preferably without micro-transactions or gacha mechanics.
JRPGs I liked: pokemon x/y,sun/moon, bravely default (didn't get very far in it).
I don't like: "retro" visual style (low-res/8bit 2d sprites), lots of grinding, dark/gritty worlds.
Any recommendations?

The only game coming to mind is Square's Chaos Rings 3. cheery world turn based rpg goodness.

Piotrek

On another note – does Planescape: Torment support cloud saves and hopping between iPhone/iPad?

In case anyone wonders, it doesn't.

Also, I tried playing on iPhone 6S Plus, and it was serviceable, but not really comfortable. Everything is sooo tiny. It's flawless on iPad, though.

Emarv

Any recommendations?

Not technically Japanese, but Teeny Titans could work. It's turn-based, not super linear, no micro transactions, can play one handed and has a Pokémon-style Collecting and battling aspect.

Mudo

Based on the post above i downloaded Gumballs & Dungeons and WOW am I shocked. A free to play Dungelot-like game that is easily better than its inspiration, and free with no need at all to spend money (after playing 6 hours since yesterday). I highhhhly recommend this game if you liked Dungelot. It's that, with a ton of content with what seems like millions of things to do. It's cute and charming and fun and has that "just 1 more" hook ina major way. Thanks for bringing this game to my attention it's already my most played ios game in months!

Costia

Not technically Japanese, but Teeny Titans could work. It's turn-based, not super linear, no micro transactions, can play one handed and has a Pokémon-style Collecting and battling aspect.

The only game coming to mind is Square's Chaos Rings 3. cheery world turn based rpg goodness.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Would any of the final fantasy games on ios fit this description as well?

awp69

Some interesting-looking releases:

Ninja Pizza Girl
https://appsto.re/us/BDgWL.i

Die With Glory
https://appsto.re/us/dIv8fb.i

Ninja Pizza Girl looks promising. Haven't been many parkour games of late.

That Die with Glory needs a better trailer. It just shows him walking through all the backgrounds but no gameplay. So I have no idea what it has like.

Edit: Didn't know Ninja Pizza Girl is a PC/console port. The game was well reviewed both on Steam and Metacritic. Think I'll bite!

Emarv

I guess it would depend on how you view grinding in the FF games? They all technically fit all of your other descriptions. Basically all the FF games from 1-9 are on mobile to varying levels of success. Chrono Trigger is a wonderful game with a shoddy port. It all depends. I'd say go with like FF4 if you're looking for a FF game in particular, but personally I prefer those games on other devices and treat iOS FF games as just ways to get a quick fix for a game I've already experienced.

Mudo

Hmmm so FF4, 5, 6, and 9 are what I have. Do you consider those modern (enough)? All jrpgs, not really casual though - but you mention Bravely Default and Persona 5. None have dark gritty worlds and all are turn based (well active time battle still closer to turn based than action to me). They all have some amount of grinding, but not some horrific amount. You can try no grinding and probably be fine but i like leveling up some so it's not super hard. My order with favorite first is: 6, 9, 5, 4. They are all great and classics.

Also, you said no low res 8 bit sprites but just in case - Dragon Quest 4, 5, and6 are on Ios. They are incredible (order 5, 4, 6). 2D, bright wonderful worlds. There is grinding BUT battles are super speedy so it evens out to me. Stories and gameplay and music are ace. DQ5 is in my top 5 rpgs of all time. Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions!

Oynox

The original dots just got a new update after a long time. The update notes only mention three new themes but I fear that they also changed the gameplay and monetarisation model/balance since they drifted away from game to game imho. Does anyone know something more?

Just as reminder:

Costia

I guess it would depend on how you view grinding in the FF games? They all technically fit all of your other descriptions. Basically all the FF games from 1-9 are on mobile to varying levels of success. Chrono Trigger is a wonderful game with a shoddy port. It all depends. I'd say go with like FF4 if you're looking for a FF game in particular, but personally I prefer those games on other devices and treat iOS FF games as just ways to get a quick fix for a game I've already experienced.

Hmmm so FF4, 5, 6, and 9 are what I have. Do you consider those modern (enough)? All jrpgs, not really casual though - but you mention Bravely Default and Persona 5. None have dark gritty worlds and all are turn based (well active time battle still closer to turn based than action to me). They all have some amount of grinding, but not some horrific amount. You can try no grinding and probably be fine but i like leveling up some so it's not super hard. My order with favorite first is: 6, 9, 5, 4. They are all great and classics.

Also, you said no low res 8 bit sprites but just in case - Dragon Quest 4, 5, and6 are on Ios. They are incredible (order 5, 4, 6). 2D, bright wonderful worlds. There is grinding BUT battles are super speedy so it evens out to me. Stories and gameplay and music are ace. DQ5 is in my top 5 rpgs of all time. Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions!

The only FF I played was 13, probably for ~5 hours. I dropped it because the combat system was weird for me.
I will take a look at gameplay videos of the FFs you mentioned.
I am not against the retro style graphics overall. It's just not what i would like to play right now.
I have also ordered a switch from amazon DE, so maybe I will wait for DQ and a few of the other series to release on it.

awp69

Ninja Pizza Girl is excellent. Gorgeous artwork and love the fact that it's not an auto runner (you can move forwards and backwards voluntarily). Perfect fit for mobile.

So here's a question for you iOS gaming afficianados:

I'd like to get a really good VR headset "box" for my iPhone 7 Plus.

Something that is a little high-end or premium and widely accepted as "one of the best".

On that same note, recommend some good VR apps for iOS.

Preferably something with good lenses and 100 degree field of view? I dunno.

killercow

Ninja Pizza Girl looks promising. Haven't been many parkour games of late.

That Die with Glory needs a better trailer. It just shows him walking through all the backgrounds but no gameplay. So I have no idea what it has like.

Edit: Didn't know Ninja Pizza Girl is a PC/console port. The game was well reviewed both on Steam and Metacritic. Think I'll bite!

Die with Glory is like Love You to Bits/Tiny Thief. It's an adventure game with plenty of charm. Here's a longer (but older) trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rh4sqOeXrE

Mudo

Impressions:

Topsoil:
Interesting puzzle game where you plant things in soil, lining them up so when the trowel shovel thing appears (every few turns) you can clear them out. There are seeds to plant that sprout to larger things which are wipers more points. That's the goal - to get the highest score possible. No story, no music, no quests, just last as long as you can. You get several "free plays" then you can watch a video ad for3 more play. Not sure if you can get more free after that but the game has a 3.99 IAP that gives you infinite plays. Overall it's good but at the same time feels pretty barebones. Perhaps more can be added to it over time.

Match Land:
Saw this on Toucharcades release list last night and their forum liked it so I tried it since it's free. In this you are building things (stores) that you can open by using a certain number of monsters. The first shop takes something like 6 blue slimes. You get slimed by playing a match 3 game with enemies at the top. The matching part is just OK so far, nothing too exciting with one major flaw (to me). You have a timer that counts down as soon as you move a block. Problem is the timer empties in like 1-1.5 seconds. If you make matches it will fill the bar up some but after playing an hour it's just stressful and not fun. That timer needs to be slowed down. The game is repititious quickly and i'm already out of money which you need in addition to other items, to level up your party. There are different currencies and it seems i quickly ran out of everything. Overall, this game is mediocre to me. I'd rather play one of many other match 3 games. Things like Hero Emblems put this to shame. Possibly wirth checking out for free - you may find something there that i just don't. I'll probably delete it today. 5/10

Matt Frost

Yeah, remembered now that this is a PC/console port. Had thought it was mainly co-op (which I am guessing is not in the iOS version). But just read a few reviews and the bulk is single player. Has mixed but generally positive reviews.

Might grab it since it's only $1.99.

Im getting it. Need a fix to Super Crate Box update absence...

Top Bottom