• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

Tripon

Sure, but the increase is tracking behind the increase caused by Pikmin 3 -- going by Media Create numbers, specifically. While the game selling 2 million is great, the concern would be that it's selling mostly to it's existing user base when it desperately needs to grow that user base. Nintendo is specifically banking on each tentpole game being a way to make the system take off.

To out into perspective, the OP of that thread got juniored and mocked by the mods for making that thread and others like it, in particular sourcing bad info.

GAF hasn't really talked about sales outside of NPD and media create.

How do you know who was right?
The. numbers. are. not. out. yet.

May numbers are and if Mario kart would be huge system selling software it would have already moved big amount of WiiUs even with only 2 days of sales. Yet WiiU sold barely something like 65k in May that was even way lower than average prediction here in GAF. Yes in June numbers will be higher (they will be for every console thanks to 5 week tracking period) but after so low upstick in May I am not exactly waiting for too big increase. But yes if you say that Mario kart is selling consoles and any increase is okay for you of course you are technically right and I am wrong. To me system selling software is something that has major meaningfull boost in hw sales like MGSIV for example (PS3 hw from from 200k previous month to 400k). Of course WiiU could sell something like 300k (or heck even 200k) this June and then I would gladly eat crow but lets just say that chances for those numbers are rather low.

Lilo_D

Will this end the "Nintendo is doomed" talk?

Yup, people want a punching bag and for now that's Nintendo.

it just like this:

At the wii era, No 3rd Party Support -- Nintendo is doomed
No new IPs,always mario and zelda -- Nintendo is doomed
Early 3ds stage -- Nintendo is doomed
Even 3ds doing well, but wiiu sell like shit --Nintendo is doomed
After E3 now we have new IPs, but those won't sell well --Nintendo is doomed

conclusion:
Nintendo is Doomed : )

yeah Japan certainly is the region to focus on for home console sales, isn't it?

the answer is "no", in case you were wondering
Who's focusing on it? The person specifically called out NPD and Media Create. In the absence of data from one I'm addressing the other. What's the point of contention here, that Japan as one of three major regions no longer matters in sales discussions because reasons? That we can't talk about it? That just sounds like goalposts being moved.

To out into perspective, the OP of that thread got juniored and mocked by the mods for making that thread and others like it, in particular sourcing bad info.

GAF hasn't really talked about sales outside of NPD and media create.
I'm not sure what thread you're talking about, can you be specific? I'm thinking about the percentage tracking shinra has provided in Media Create threads.

zruben

Banned
it just like this:

At the wii era, No 3rd Party Support -- Nintendo is doomed
No new IPs,always mario and zelda -- Nintendo is doomed
Early 3ds stage -- Nintendo is doomed
Even 3ds doing well, but wiiu sell like shit --Nintendo is doomed
After E3 now we have new IPs, but those won't sell well --Nintendo is doomed

conclusion:
Nintendo is Doomed : )

you can even go back and still find evidences of nintendoomed

DS heavily underpowered compared to PSP - Nintendo is doomed
No 3rd parties for GC - Nintendo is doomed
N64 sticking to cartridges - Nintendo is doomed
Super Nintendo not releasing add-ons like the Genesis - Nintendo is doomed

it's a fun sport.

phanphare

Banned
Who's focusing on it? The person specifically called out NPD and Media Create. In the absence of data from one I'm addressing the other. What's the point of contention here, that Japan as one of three major regions no longer matters in sales discussions because reasons? That we can't talk about it? That just sounds like goalposts being moved.

well you're citing world wide software sales but only speaking of trends in Japan specifically, a region where home consoles are near the point of irrelevancy.

it's a fun sport.
You know, it's funny, I've only ever heard 'Nintendo is doomed' used ironically by Nintendo fans to dismiss real criticism.

Would the Wii U tracking behind Gamecube in sales be a 'Nintendo is doomed' comment? Or would it just be the harsh reality?

Anth0ny

Will this end the "Nintendo is doomed" talk?

Depends on your definition of doomed.

Nintendo can endure like 3 more Wii U level failures to be even close to actually "doomed".

That being said, Wii U won't outsell the Gamecube. Iwata himself said they shouldn't stay in the video game business if they can't outsell the Gamecube.

Tripon

I'm not sure what thread you're talking about, can you be specific? I'm thinking about the percentage tracking shinra has provided in Media Create threads.

The Pikmin 3 thread about increasing Wii U sales in Japan. I'd find the link, but I'm on my phone. I'll do later today when I'm on my PC.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
very worthy for the best MK since MK64. I absolutely love SM3DW but honestly it's nowhere near the "wow.. just wow.." of MK8.

Cipherr

Oh man I love this thread already. Some lovely zingers.

That said, excellent news, the game is fun as hell. They finally managed to seamlessly use the hang gliding and underwater functions and whatnot. Felt a little forced in MK7, but I absolutely LOVE it in 8. I think its the track design. The track design is so good that those elements of the track are actually fun to navigate.

Heres hoping they add some more tracks via DLC. This franchise is perfect for that.

Mael

it's a fun sport.
Gameboy - The lack of colors will kill them for sure!- Nintendo is doomed
NES - No one wants console anymore with these sweet computers- Nintendo is doomed
There's probably even more than that.

Well, things change. Look at Skyrim it sold what, 20+ million? Morrowind sold like a fifth or something. The only thing holding Zelda U back in sales, is the Wii U installed base.

Skyrim is on a whole different level, its been top selling game on steam during the sale for everyday/8hours its been highlighted. Its crazy
Most likely sell another 100,000+ copies this week.

Its a crazy phenomenon

royox

I love all the "I wasn't going to buy a WiiU...but then Mario Kart happent". It's like they were surprised a Nintendo console get a Mario Kart game.

Gameboy - The lack of colors will kill them for sure!- Nintendo is doomed
NES - No one wants console anymore with these sweet computers- Nintendo is doomed
There's probably even more than that.

Actually, news stories / analysts used to predict that Nintendo was doomed in the early 90's because the NES was dying and there was "no way" the SNES could replace it in terms of popularity.

well you're citing world wide software sales but only speaking of trends in Japan specifically, a region where home consoles are near the point of irrelevancy.
Because that's the only place we have enough data to start seeing trends. You (speaking generally) can't criticize people for addressing NPD numbers that don't exist then simultaneously criticize not using it.

If you'd rather I start using baseless trends based on a single week we know from NPD I can do that, but I'd rather be reasonable and wait for more data.

You know, it's funny, I've only ever heard 'Nintendo is doomed' used ironically by Nintendo fans to dismiss real criticism.

Would the Wii U tracking behind Gamecube in sales be a 'Nintendo is doomed' comment? Or would it just be the harsh reality?

Yeah. It's pretty frustrating that anytime you try to have real discussion about performance of Nintendo there are tons of these sarcastic '' Nintendo is doomed posts'' even if the original poster doesn't exactly say that Nintendo is doomed. Just that he is worried about current near future outlook of Nintendo and is basing that on real numbers. Of course last gen if you somehow tried to have some negative discussion about performance of Nintendo you were delusional or hater as they were raking in cash and everything was doing record numbers.

Mael

Yeah. It's pretty frustrating that anytime you try to have real discussion about performance of Nintendo there are tons of these sarcastic '' Nintendo is doomed posts'' even if the original poster doesn't exactly say that Nintendo is doomed. Just that he is worried about current near future outlook of Nintendo and is basing that on real numbers. Of course last gen if you somehow tried to have some negative discussion about performance of Nintendo you were delusional or hater as they were raking in cash and everything was doing record numbers.

There's negative discussion and negative discussion.
Discussion that claim that Nintendo is heading a bad path because they don't do gritty online shooters enough goes into "doooooooomed" category.
It's especially funny since Nintendo actually failed its transition because they actually stopped doing what they did then.
In short they listened to the "dooooooomed" people.

NEO0MJ

I love all the "I wasn't going to buy a WiiU...but then Mario Kart happent". It's like they were surprised a Nintendo console get a Mario Kart game.

I think it was because of how well made the game is, plus the free game offer. Also, the Luigi meme seemed to help, though that makes no sense to me.

z0m3le

Banned
Because that's the only place we have enough data to start seeing trends. You (speaking generally) can't criticize people for addressing NPD numbers that don't exist then simultaneously criticize not using it.

If you'd rather I start using baseless trends based on a single week we know from NPD I can do that, but I'd rather be reasonable and wait for more data.
Someone a few pages back mention that France has seen a 4x increase in Wii U sales following mk8, we do talk about UK sales as indicators of hardware sales and France is comparable in market size, I'd say that is a good counterpoint to Japan and media create, maybe a better indicator as console market trends are drastically different in Japan than any other region.

phanphare

Banned

I think being reasonable and waiting for more data is the best course of action. that's why I criticized you for trying to extrapolate some sort of trend from only Japan's numbers, seeing as how that is the least relevant region to look at in this regard.

K-A-Deman

While these numbers are impressive, I was wondering something; do they include digital downloads of the game? If I recall correctly they're usually not immediately released by Nintendo.

There's negative discussion and negative discussion.
Discussion that claim that Nintendo is heading a bad path because they don't do gritty online shooters enough goes into "doooooooomed" category.
It's especially funny since Nintendo actually failed its transition because they actually stopped doing what they did then.
In short they listened to the "dooooooomed" people.

Well even with that there are several paths how you can present your argument. You could ask that why nintendo with all their resources doesn't have strong western development side like for example Sony as with that they could try to lure traditional PS/Xbox consumers to the platform or you could just say ''lol Nintendo only makes kids games why they don't make new COD'' that is just trolling.

Mael

Well even with that there are several paths how you can present your argument. You could ask that why nintendo with all their resources doesn't have strong western development side like for example Sony as with that they could try to lure traditional PS/Xbox consumers to the platform or you could just say ''lol Nintendo only makes kids games why they don't make new COD'' that is just trolling.
Even fucking Pachter couldn't go beyond ''lol Nintendo only makes kids games why they don't make new COD'' and that guy is supposedly a paid analyst so...yeah.
And the worst part of that discussion is that the underlying discussion people are really having was "Wii games aren't real games, these are shitty nongames that are beneath our contempt".

Exile20

very worthy for the best MK since MK64. I absolutely love SM3DW but honestly it's nowhere near the "wow.. just wow.." of MK8.

Now just hide the battle arenas available like they never existed so we cant see them and gave us DLC battle arenas.

z0m3le

Banned
Nintendo has a niche, it is usually profitable, they had some missteps with 3ds followed by missteps with Wii U, they were able to correct one while ignoring the other, it might be too late now to correct Wii U, but they are trying. MK8 is likely a system seller, to assume that it isn't is a bit foolish. Also Nintendo doesn't have a western arm that is very strong similar to Sony's eastern arm. However Nintendo is supporting 2 platforms and arguably doing it reasonably well considering they are doing it alone.

Roo

Eh... It's more about the fact that no one was expecting it to look so good.
Mario Kart always has been a huge system seller on its own but let's face it, it never was a looker.
Now we have both, the gameplay and the looks. No wonder why it has an amazing reception.

zruben

Banned

it's a harsh reality, nobody is denying that. But we don't have enough information to declare "doom" over a company. Any company.

Nobody here owns a company that big and know how it works. And that also applies with Nintendo fans dooming Sony and MS every time they see a symptom of economic illness.

This is just personal opinion, but I think that people trying to "doom companies" on internet forums are fighting against buyer remorse and are trying to validate what they bought, dismissing what the other people bought.

l6Tv5OW.png

Did anyone make the thing yet

There was a time people said "Nintendo is doomed" and meant it. That was the GameCube era. Remember the rumor that Apple was going to buy Nintendo? It was a crazy time. Then the Wii happened and 'Nintendo is doomed' became a sarcastic joke, like the Polygon MK8 prediction, except the joke never ended, and here we are eight years later.

Porcile

it's a fun sport.

going back even further

RadarScope sucks - Nintendo doomed
No one wants to shag in their Love Hotels - Nintendo doomed
World War 2 - Nintendo doomed

Nintendo has a niche, it is usually profitable, they had some missteps with 3ds followed by missteps with Wii U, they were able to correct one while ignoring the other, it might be too late now to correct Wii U, but they are trying. MK8 is likely a system seller, to assume that it isn't is a bit foolish. Also Nintendo doesn't have a western arm that is very strong similar to Sony's eastern arm. However Nintendo is supporting 2 platforms and arguably doing it reasonably well considering they are doing it alone.

I just feel that building western arm like Sony has is whole a lot of easier than building eastern arm like Nintendo. Nintendos eastern arm relies on kind of unique talent and brand appeal of its games that is really hard to grow from nothingness. Just compare sales of Mario platformers to any other platformers nowadays and there is huge gap as the genre itself is not really that alive. On the other hand with western games you just need good idea, of course good game and shit ton of marketing and you could have very succesfull game (Uncharted, Gears etc). Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Someone a few pages back mention that France has seen a 4x increase in Wii U sales following mk8, we do talk about UK sales as indicators of hardware sales and France is comparable in market size, I'd say that is a good counterpoint to Japan and media create, maybe a better indicator as console market trends are drastically different in Japan than any other region.
But do we know what the hard sales numbers were pre-increase? Percentage or multiples have little meaning without context; you can't draw a conclusion from a multiple of an unknown.

I think being reasonable and waiting for more data is the best course of action. that's why I criticized you for trying to extrapolate some sort of trend from only Japan's numbers, seeing as how that is the least relevant region to look at in this regard.
I'm not trying to draw direct parallels between markets or use Japan to speak globally, so I'm not sure why you're acting as though I am, and it's getting genuinely frustrating that you're tilting at windmills I'm not even making. Go re-read my first post, where I specifically only talk about Media Create and then explain why the 2 million number is great but there's concern about it's impact on moving hardware, especially given Nintendo's reliance on hits. I don't extrapolate anything, only explain what the sales concerns are while we await more data.

It genuinely feels like you're arguing with me to argue with me.

The Pikmin 3 thread about increasing Wii U sales in Japan. I'd find the link, but I'm on my phone. I'll do later today when I'm on my PC.
Oh, that's not what I was talking about at all. In the Media Create thread, shinra has been comparing the percentage increases after the launches of Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8, and if I'm reading it correctly, then Mario Kart caused a smaller hardware bump them Pikmin, which is what I was addressing.

Phades

Seems like the game is doing exactly what the fans thought it would be doing, which is probably the only thing that matters.

There was a time people said "Nintendo is doomed" and meant it. That was the GameCube era. Remember the rumor that Apple was going to buy Nintendo? It was a crazy time. Then the Wii happened and 'Nintendo is doomed' became a sarcastic joke, like the Polygon MK8 prediction, except the joke never ended, and here we are eight years later.

Well MS tried to buy Nintendo during late N64 era for 25 billion =P. Crazy how different gaming world would be nowadays had that happened.

phanphare

Banned
I'm not trying to draw direct parallels between markets or use Japan to speak globally, so I'm not sure why you're acting as though I am, and it's getting genuinely frustrating that you're tilting at windmills I'm not even making. Go re-read my first post, where I specifically only talk about Media Create and then explain why the 2 million number is great but there's concern about it's impact on moving hardware, especially given Nintendo's reliance on hits. I don't extrapolate anything, only explain what the sales concerns are while we await more data.

It genuinely feels like you're arguing with me to argue with me.

my only gripe was the way you responded to someone saying that the Wii U had a bump in hardware sales. your counter was "Sure, but the increase is tracking behind the increase caused by Pikmin 3 -- going by Media Create numbers, specifically."

to me that sounded like you were trying to take a trend from Japan and apply it to the Wii U in general, considering that the poster you responded to was talking a global bump in sales.

but you are correct that this debate isn't really going anywhere. I think we both know where the other was coming from so I'll just leave it there. cheers!

Top Bottom