• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peele's Get Out - 100% at RT after 136 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I just rewatched that scene I guess I missed a part of what he said there for some reason. I noticed he also called
Chris one of the lucky ones, and that Jeremy's wrangling methods sounds much less pleasant. Wonder what he meant by that.
Compare the first scene in the movie to what happened to Chris.

Yeah, I just rewatched that scene I guess I missed a part of what he said there for some reason. I noticed he also called
Chris one of the lucky ones, and that Jeremy's wrangling methods sounds much less pleasant. Wonder what he meant by that.

Remember the opening of the movie where the black guy wandering around in the suburb is snatched by a guy in the white car? It was hard to see in that scene, but the abductor was wearing a metal knight's helmet, the same one Chris finds in the passenger seat of Jeremy's white car at the end of the movie.

Also, I missed it at first but realized later that the guy who was abducted at the start of the movie was Andre Heyworth/Logan King.

I loved the movie but it is incredibly implausible that
so many people went missing after dating the same girl and the cops never caught on. I mean, the people who went missing must have had friends and family who would report them missing. It seems like this operation would have been busted by the cops after the third person reported missing after dating Rose and going to the parent's house.

GhaleonEB

I loved the movie but it is incredibly implausible that
so many people went missing after dating the same girl and the cops never caught on. I mean, the people who went missing must have had friends and family who would report them missing. It seems like this operation would have been busted by the cops after the third person reported missing after dating Rose and going to the parent's house.

A subtext to the film is
the police don't care about missing black people. So long as Rose keeps her tracks relatively clean - think of the story she tells Chris' friend on the phone, and how she avoided Chris being ID'd by the cop at the beginning - their disappearances are not really dug into.

A subtext to the film is
the police don't care about missing black people. So long as Rose keeps her tracks relatively clean - think of the story she tells Chris' friend on the phone, and how she avoided Chris being ID'd by the cop at the beginning - their disappearances are not really dug into.

but after the seventh report of someone missing after going to the Armitage house, they would have to know something is up. What does Rose tell the family and friends of the people who go missing?

but after the seventh report of someone missing after going to the Armitage house, they would have to know something is up. What does Rose tell the family and friends of the people who go missing?

They probably only choose people like Chris, who have littlie to no family

hidys

I just saw this film and while it's early to say I think this might be one of my favourite horror films ever.

they didn't all go to the Armitage house voluntarily. Remember at the beginning of the film when they straight up kidnapped Andre. That plus Jim mentions a 'wrangling' method which was not fully explained in the film.

Well I guess that what supposedly makes this movie shine is the social commentary (which, as a non-American, fell a bit flat for me), but other than that I thought it was a merely competent often quite predictable horror flick.
Can't really hold a candle to other recent takes on the genre like the Babadook, It Follows and The Witch in my opinion.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I saw this a while ago, but never posted my thoughts. Put me in the liked but not loved crowd. The things I liked the most were the acting and how it tapped into the relatively underdone 'black horror' of being black surrounded by white people in a somewhat isolated environment. The thought that if everyone here all decided right then and now to do something to you as a black minority, there's very little you could do about it. The thought may cross people's heads even in a safe environment with people you trust.

I disliked the reasoning/motive a bit though, it reminded me of some indie horror films I've seen in the last few years, but not done quite as well or as interesting.
I think the way they demonstrated the twist was kind of stoic and the presentation/realization of it wasn't as interesting as it could of been. It reminded me of some 'house guest' and cult horror movies I've seen especially.

I did love the small easy to miss details and one thing I did like in particular with this was the 'poetic justice' aspect, I noticed it on my first watch but those I watched the film with didn't until I explained it to them, but I also don't see many mentions of it.
Things the family members mention early in the film are subtle foreshadowing, IE Rose at the beginning asks Chris what he's afraid of, her dad coming on the porch with a shotgun coming to chase him out? Then towards the end of the movie Rose chases Chris off the porch with a shotgun. The dad mentions he hates deer and has a big long-winded deer speech when we first meet him, and he gets killed by a deer busts antler, etc.

hbkdx12

couple things i noticed...

1) Rose and Chris hadn't been dating that long. IIRC it was 3 or 4 months. He wasn't even sure that her parents knew he was black. It's possible that on Chris' end that people other than Rob didn't even know about their relationship

2) When Rob talks to Rose near the end, she starts tempting and flirting with him. Rob didn't take the bait. It's possible she does something similar with the friends of other people she dated that would essentially make it easier for her to keep things under wraps

Not

Banned
Pretty cool that the inevitable and always tiring backlash against a universally-liked film in this case amounts to "good, not great horror flick"

Dusk Golem

Pretty cool that the inevitable and always tiring backlash against a universally-liked film in this case amounts to "good, not great horror flick"
I can't speak for others, for me it has a good movie. I categorize horror as I watch a lot of it and play a lot of it into several categories for myself, all of which are just reflective of my thoughts. Get Out goes into my 'liked with a few stand-out elements' group, movies I like and wouldn't mind watching again and appreciated a few things it did, but it didn't have that deeper something that struck with me that really put it into one of my 'loved' categories and I've seen a few films with some simiar beats (certain similar themes or set-ups or scenes) I personally liked more.

I think it's impressive for a directorial debut and interested where he goes from here though. My only criticisms are really about the exposition dump, which feels it could've been handled a lot better. Outside of that it's personal preference and opinion, it was a well made movie and I liked it, but it was missing that something that really stuck with me, but talking more subjectively I would recommend to others and can see how others may like it more than I did.

There's some movies I personally love I think subjectively are worse than Get Out but did some things that really struck with me that put it into love it territory for me but I'd have a harder time recommending without knowing what that person in particular was looking for. But even though I didn't love Get Out, I'm very glad I saw it and think it's 100% worth a watch.

hbkdx12

I did love the small easy to miss details and one thing I did like in particular with this was the 'poetic justice' aspect, I noticed it on my first watch but those I watched the film with difn't until I explained it to them, but I also do not see many mention it.
Things the family members mention early in the film are subtle foreshadowing, IE Rose at the beginning asks Chris what he's afraid of, her dad coming on the porch with a shotgun coming to chase him out? Then towards the end of the movie Rose chases Chris iff the porch with a shotgun. The dad mentions he hates deer and has a big long-winded deer speech when we first meet him, and he gets killed by a deer busts antler, etc.
I really enjoyed the deer symbolism throughout. When Chris is staring at the deer they hit at the beginning, contextually, it's suppose to be reminiscent of the fact that he never went looking for his mother and that she died alone but the reality is that it highlights the fact that if Rose wasn't there exerting her white privilege with the cop that Chris could/would have been left dead and alone at the side of the road just like the deer. Then when he gets to the house and the father is talking about how there's "too many deer" and he'd kill them all or something like that is a clear jab at race relations. Then when he's tied up near the end and he sees the deer over the tv, it drove home the point that black people, like the deer, were just seen as hollow, placeholder type trophies. Then using the deer to kill the father acts a reanimation to represent Chris not becoming hollowed out and falling into the sunken place.

Dusk Golem

I really enjoyed the deer symbolism throughout. When Chris is staring at the deer they hit at the beginning, contextually, it's suppose to be reminiscent of the fact that he never went looking for his mother and that she died alone but the reality is that it highlights the fact that if Rose wasn't there exerting her white privilege with the cop that Chris could/would have been left dead and alone at the side of the road just like the deer. Then when he gets to the house and the father is talking about how there's "too many deer" and he'd kill them all or something like that is a clear jab at race relations. Then when he's tied up near the end and he sees the deer over the tv, it drove home the point that black people, like the deer, were just seen as hollow, placeholder type trophies. Then using the deer to kill the father acts a reanimation to represent Chris not becoming hollowed out and falling into the sunken place.
Deer symbolism was used to great effect through the film, I agree. Lot of it could also be read into a few different ways but with strong enough context to not be a reach, and going back to poetic justice the father's death by the mounted deer antler makes sense both for Chris to wield and the father to die by, both in a literal 'what can I use on hand' and symbolic way.

I'm happy I didn't watch the trailer before seeing the movie, but I'm curious what scenes were cut from the sunken place as the trailer shows a skeletal deer/wendigo thing in that space. I can see why they cut it from the final film as it might have been more out there than anything else in the movie and left people scratching their heads about it, but I think the wendigo would've fit very well in the film in the sunken place; not only fitting with the deer symbolism but the fact someone else is stealing their face and identity.

NimbusD

missed this in theaters, and decided to watch it just now after being partially spoiled last night at a party, realizing I probably cant get away with waiting until it's on netflix or somehting.

Great movie, with the
brain swapping twist wasn't spoiled. That's what someone mentioned.

Really fucking smart for a horror movie, made me sad and angry as much as scared, rare for most horror movies these days.

Also,
I was about to post how I was annoyed chris got the cotton in his ears even though he was strapped down, but I just realized they specifically had a scene of him chewing the strap to show his head can get over to his hands, but doesn't spell it out.
Ugh, great movie. Closest I can think to like a hole like that is it doesn't make much sense to me that they wouldn't have chris in the room when they're actually starting the brain swap thing.

bud

i was curious to see where they'd take it after
chris was tied to chair
, but was somewhat disappointed it ended in a slasher film after that. liked it, though.

any other good spooky films that deal with cults?

chris was tied to chair
, but was somewhat disappointed it ended in a slasher film after that. liked it, though.

Yeah this was me too. I really liked it up to that point
but the brain swapping and the violence left me kinda disappointed.

It felt like a dumb slasher movie ending tacked on to a really smart horror film. The opening 2/3 of it deserve a better ending.

Yeah this was me too. I really liked it up to that point
but the brain swapping and the violence left me kinda disappointed.

It felt like a dumb slasher movie ending tacked on to a really smart horror film. The opening 2/3 of it deserve a better ending.
I disagree wholeheartedly. The final act of the movie was a much needed catharsis.

I just watched this on Friday Night. I do not see why this movie was so praised. I liked it but it was nothing special.

Stepford Wives with a twist I guess.

Madrin

My girlfriend and I just watched this last night. Really solid movie, but it's even better in retrospect after reading up on all of the foreshadowing and symbolism in the movie that I didn't catch.

The only thing I didn't understand was
why would the family go to all this trouble of luring black "boyfriends" to the house when they could just kidnap them like they did to Andre at the beginning of the movie?

Arttemis

My girlfriend and I just watched this last night. Really solid movie, but it's even better in retrospect after reading up on all of the foreshadowing and symbolism in the movie that I didn't catch.

The only thing I didn't understand was
why would the family go to all this trouble of luring black "boyfriends" to the house when they could just kidnap them like they did to Andre at the beginning of the movie?

They do both. The son
kidnaps, the daughter seduces
. They still have an auction for the victims regardless of how they're captured, I'm sure. It seems like the rich would prefer the
daughter's seduction
, though, since the subject can respond to their questions.

Madrin

They do both. The son
kidnaps, the daughter seduces. They still have an auction for the victims regardless of how they're captured, I'm sure. It seems like the rich would prefer the daughter's seduction, though, since the subject can respond to their questions.

Yeah it just seems weird to do both since they're two completely different approaches. Like if
kidnapping people is that easy then why even do this months-long fake girlfriend charade to lure people. Or if the girlfriend method is better for auction purposes then why not do that exclusively.
It's strange that movie didn't pick just one consistent approach. Unless I'm missing something that was unique about Andre.

Yeah it just seems weird to do both since they're two completely different approaches. Like if
kidnapping people is that easy then why even do this months-long fake girlfriend charade to lure people. Or if the girlfriend method is better for auction purposes then why not do that exclusively.
It's strange that movie didn't pick just one consistent approach. Unless I'm missing something that was unique about Andre.

Rose's brother probably wanted to contribute.

And having them answer questions, "Do you play Golf?", "Do you do MMA?", helps the Auctioneers make a better purchasing decision.

GhaleonEB

Go in with highly tempered expectations.

Rose's brother probably wanted to contribute.

And having them answer questions, "Do you play Golf?", "Do you do MMA?", helps the Auctioneers make a better purchasing decision.

I wonder if there's a process for the brother's contributions.
Leave him tied to the chair answering questions from an audience of old people, without any idea what's going on. He's left in the basement during the auction, then off to surgery.

Anustart

Back when me and my wife originally went to see this, she had done some light reading on the movie and read that stuff wasn't as it seemed and to look for hidden clues.

By the end of the movie she was convinced they were taking deer and transplanting them into the people.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Back when me and my wife originally went to see this, she had done some light reading on the movie and read that stuff wasn't as it seemed and to look for hidden clues.

By the end of the movie she was convinced they were taking deer and transplanting them into the people.

Lol!

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just watched it, the revel exposition with the tv was I think the low point of the film for me. Not thematically, but flow wise. I just watched the alternate ending too, going for a downer close, I think I like the theatrical better, even those the alternate was what everyone was thinking was going to happen. I sure am glad I stayed in the dark for this.
I do hope Peele keeps it up, I enjoyed this much more than Keanu, but they aren't really comparable anyway.

PSqueak

Banned
Just came back from watching this as it just opened on my country yesterday.

Fantastic film, lived up to the hype, i did like the plot twist.

Really enjoyed that it felt structured like classic horror movies.

Madrin

I keep replaying this movie in my head and noticing new bits of foreshadowing and comments that have ulterior motives in retrospect. I saw the movie a week ago and it just hit me today that
the mom was chastising Chris for smoking because she wanted his body to be in healthy physical shape for its next owner
. The movie keeps getting better the more I think about it.

Wensih

chris was tied to chair

House of the Devil and The Invitation are pretty good.

Dereck

15JqSan.gif

From Adam Wingard i highly recommend these two. both have a similar atmosphere as Get Out.

You're Next
The Guest

Neon Demon from Refn is great too but much slower and artsy.

neon demon is art housey garbage. The trailer was the best thing about it. Couldn't believe how bad it was. Also its review score does reflect how I felt about it

not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom