• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to anime?

I don't know.... I started watching dragon ball for the first time last week and I am really enjoying it. Meanwhe, I can't stand the trash anime that is being produced now.

Edit: at least every anime season there are 2-3 out of 15 good shows to watch.

andymcc

Banned
Yep. Same here.

Anime has changed. Not sure why ppl are giving the OP shit.

It's because the creepy niche stuff isn't shoved off to obscure OVA land and instead made for late-night TV.

It's not really changed as much as it's more visible.

You had the gatekeepers of western localization that took years to translate anime and would only bank on stuff they knew would translate to VHS sales. Now everything, warts and all, is visible because virtually every show each season gets a multicast stream.

What's with GAF's recent tirade against anime? This is like the 3rd "Aniime today sucks" thread this week.

EDIT: Also OP, you should try watching Psycho-Pass. It's some good shit I tell ya.
im not saying anime today sucks i just feel as if it just doesnt grab me the same way. for some other people this is probably the best time for anime.

there is some anime now i really fuck with it but their over now so im just like "time to find some new shit" and it feels like its getter harder and harder to find some new good shit you feel me

HardRojo

You wonder what happened to action type Anime but don't like Shonen? Wtf? Shonen is basically the only thing I watch, it's hard to stomach all the bullshit with little girls and fanservice you see nowadays.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Hey and why does shoujo anime exist, I ain't a girl, why is this stuff being made that doesn't specifically appeal to me, a westerner who maybe pays 8 bucks a month for his anime and who doesn't spend the equivalent of 50 bucks per disc of four episodes of his favourite show on blu ray as well as the official figurines and fans and t-shirts?

I don't know.... I started watching dragon ball for the first time last week and I am really enjoying it. Meanwhe, I can't stand the trash anime that is being produced now.

There's plenty of good stuff in the vein of Dragonball nowadays (shonen action series). Hell, as someone who enjoyed Dragonball, I find it incredibly overrated in that regard

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
im not saying anime today sucks i just feel as if it just doesnt grab me the same way. for some other people this is probably the best time for anime.

there is some anime now i really fuck with it but their over now so im just like "time to find some new shit" and it feels like its getter harder and harder to find some new good shit you feel me

Maybe it's that you don't quite know where to look. Based on your tastes, we can probably recommend some good shows to you made within this decade.

eggandI

Banned
It was always bad, but you were just a dumb teenager when you got into it and didn't know any better.. Best to keep to good old classics like dbz which are pretty straight forward.

There's plenty of good stuff in the vein of Dragonball nowadays (shonen action series). Hell, as someone who enjoyed Dragonball, I find it incredibly overrated in that regard

Shonen action series are what I watch now with a sprinkle of slice of life animes if they available. Hero Academia is pretty good (actually read the manga stuff).

LotusHD

Banned
some action shit with mediocre to decent story backing it.

Try My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100

I think there's just more of it, so theres's more bad. 90% of everything is shit and all that.

Yup, just like live-action shows, the bad vastly outweighs the good. It's just that anime's bad stuff can either be really creepy or cater to demographics that you are absolutely not a part of.

Sojgat

I've got exactly what you're looking for, OP.

81bc8bda2e589889a7764bccc3de98ea1429152945_full.jpg

You're welcome.

Anime has gotten better than ever, but navigating a curated selection is abysmal.

At least the OP has some background in understanding anime genres and what he enjoys. Having a 'normal' person casually browse the netflix selection is just an impenetrable nightmare, with some exceptions.

One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho, Attack on Titan, Blame! on netflix.
Though am only like 5 episode in I am enjoying Boruto, so if you like the Naruto, I would say give it a shot.

UrbanRats

Lately i tried to give every anime available on netflix a shot.

I watched ep1 of almost every one under the "anime" tag.

The only one that i found interesting enough to go through with, has been Death Note.
It's got some bullshit writing for a thriller, but its fun so far.

Ajin i also got a bit further but got bored.

Gurren Lagann looked visually cool too.

Every other one ranged from pretty bad, to shit.

Worst offenders were Stains Gate, Code Geass and 7 Deadly Sins.
Even one episode of these was hard to go through.

But i also watched Psycho pass, Attack on Titan, Ana something something, Eureka Seven, Kuromukuro.

Didnt like any of them, but at least a couple had good animation.

Could be that netflix only has bargain bin anime tho.

SkyOdin

If you want an answer as to what happened to all of those crazy action OVAs aimed at adults that helped define the 90s, the answer is that the Japanese economy crashed and has been in the toilet for well over a decade. Those OVAs were somethibg of a bubble that formed when the Japanese economy was on top of the world in the 90s. Investors were speculating in the market, and just about anything could get the financing to be turned into a high-budget OVA. When the economy tanked, that bubble popped.

Japan has been suffering a mix of recessions and a near-permanent deflationary economy for years and years now. Currently, anime productions have shoe-string budgets built off the efforts of over-worked and underpaid animators. Most of the anime produced today are essentially ad campaigns paid for by book publishers to help market manga and light novels. Manga and Light Novels are a much bigger and healthier industry in Japan than anime. Anime-original productions live or die based on the sales of a few thousand overpriced DVDs/BluRays plus merchandising. As such, the only market that matters is the hard-core, which distorts how audiences are targeted.

EDIT: To reiterate the whole "anime are advertisements" concept, we are also witnessing the rise of anime adaptations of mobile gacha games.

UrbanRats

Steins Gate is legit greatness, but it admittedly takes a few episodes before it really picks up.
Both art and writing really drove me up the wall.
Probably the worst one after 7 deadly sins.
I get that one episode isnt great to jusde a show, but id be willing to give it more of my time if i was luke warm on it, not i outright hating everything about it.

LotusHD

Banned
I get that one episode isnt great to jusde a show, but id be willing to give it more of my time if i was luke warm on it, not i outright hating everything about it.

It's definitely not, but hey, you do you, can't force ya to watch it lol

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Lately i tried to give every anime available on netflix a shot.

I watched ep1 of almost every one under the "anime" tag.

The only one that i found interesting enough to go through with, has been Death Note.
It's got some bullshit writing for a thriller, but its fun so far.

Ajin i also got a bit further but got bored.

Gurren Lagann looked visually cool too.

Every other one ranged from pretty bad, to shit.

Worst offenders were Stains Gate, Code Geass and 7 Deadly Sins.
Even one episode of these was hard to go through.

But i also watched Psycho pass, Attack on Titan, Ana something something, Eureka Seven, Kuromukuro.

Didnt like any of them, but at least a couple had good animation.

Could be that netflix only has bargain bin anime tho.

Okay, a couple things. While I'm usually a fan of the 3 episode drop rule (meaning if a show doesn't catch my attention before 3 episodes then I drop it). There are plenty of shows where this is actually a bad idea and you could be missing out.

Gurren Lagann is great if you can switch your brain off. There's a pretty good character story in there, and it's a lot of fun especially around the half-way mark, and then again towards the end. There's a reason why it's still one of the most beloved shows from the past decade.

Secondly, Steins;Gate is one of the better sci-fi shows out there. This is a terrible show to drop early but I can understand if you do. The show spends a good 7 or 8 episodes or so just hanging out with the characters before it flips and becomes a thriller. Once the meat of the story gets underway it becomes incredibly captivating. It's a well done show, it just requires a little patience to get through the bullshit in the beginning.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
If you want an answer as to what happened to all of those crazy action OVAs aimed at adults that helped define the 90s, the answer is that the Japanese economy crashed and has been in the toilet for well over a decade. Those OVAs were somethibg of a bubble that formed when the Japanese economy was on top of the world in the 90s. Investors were speculating in the market, and just about anything could get the financing to be turned into a high-budget OVA. When the economy tanked, that bubble popped.

Japan has been suffering a mix of recessions and a near-permanent deflationary economy for years and years now. Currently, anime productions have shoe-string budgets built off the efforts of over-worked and underpaid animators. Most of the anime produced today are essentially ad campaigns paid for by book publishers to help market manga and light novels. Manga and Light Novels are a much bigger and healthier industry in Japan than anime. Anime-original productions live or die based on the sales of a few thousand overpriced DVDs/BluRays plus merchandising. As such, the only market that matters is the hard-core, which distorts how audiences are targeted.

EDIT: To reiterate the whole "anime are advertisements" concept, we are also witnessing the rise of anime adaptations of mobile gacha games.

Yeah, this is a really good summary actually.

Log Horizon. :(

That one's easy actually, the protagonist
gets arrested for tax evasion

Fbh

Mabye you have just lost interest? Taste changes over time.
I loved anime during my teen years and while I still enjoy it I generally only like 2 or at most 3 shows every year.
Manga is better though as it offer waaaaay more variety than anime.
Just to give some examples I've enjoyed Vagabond, 20th Century Boys, Vinland Saga and Berserk more than any anime in recent years (Berserk had a decent anime adaptation in the 90's but a lot has happened in the manga since then and every other adaptation has been trash)

Also why would Shonen stop being a thing? Be it Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk , Naruto or One Piece. Several of the most popula and best selling anime/manga of all time are shonen. That's like asking why shooters and sports are still a thing in videogames

I would still advice you to watch some more chapters.
I wasn't as negative as you, but after watching the first 2 chapters I was baffled at all the praise and love it was getting. I actually stopped watching it for several month until I someday I was bored and decided to give it a second chance.

It takes a while to get going but once it does it's amazing

Top Bottom