• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about laptop stickers

Izayoi

Banned
You see it a lot among web developers

https://68.media.tumblr.com/490f58861f38763deba31ba6e30e1edd/tumblr_omzx0bb2ZL1w7mhweo1_1280.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/10349825_730996616946361_1037948358_n.jpg[IMG]

I have none on my laptop despite my coworkers always saying I should get some. No thanks.[/QUOTE]
Good on you. That shit just oozes "Don't promote me - I'm an unprofessional blowhard!" To be fair, they are making things really easy for their managers.

Pau

I don't have a work laptop, but this is the one I have at home.

CMV8bgX_d.jpg

Ever since our company has started evaluating a project on computer science, our director of research has started putting a bunch of stickers like the GitHub octopus on her laptop.

Matticers

When they put stickers all over it, it just looks tacky and pretty terrible. If it's one sticker that works with the apple logo, like the Snow White or Batman one, it's not so bad and can be a little amusing.

The random little stickers sends the impression that you don't really take care of or value your stuff as much as someone who keeps it neat looking. Makes it look like a disposable toy. Imagine someone with tacky stickers all over their car.

As for the big ones, I'm not into themed or branded anything. It's not a canvas for art, it's a functional machine.

Just my opinion. Do whatever you want though.

Qasiel

I used to have a Link sticker on my old XPS that some friends got me as an Xmas present which I thought was quite cool: Went well with my coffee mug

Since my new laptop has a strange, rubberised cover on the top I probably won't put any on it, but I might put a small one near the keyboard area, where the Intel and GeForce stickers are.

hobozero

On your personal system? Go to town. Have seen some that look amazing.

As someone who works in IT and has to re-purpose company laptops? Please fuck off with the stickers, you aren't in elementary school and you don't own this laptop.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't have a work laptop, but this is the one I have at home.

Ever since our company has started evaluating a project on computer science, our director of research has started putting a bunch of stickers like the GitHub octopus on her laptop.
antswtqbl.png

I want to use that snow white one but I don't have an apple laptop :/

I can print vinyl stickers at work so I can kind of go to town with that stuff.

Totally don't care one way or another, its people's choice. My work laptops are bare, but I do have a macbook pro I use for photo editing which has a couple custom stickers on it.

Tacky as fuck in my opinion. I also work in IT so I do have co workers that have a bunch of tech stickers from conferences and stuff. Even the manager has an AWS sticker.

Izayoi

Banned
I need to get some to cover up the jizz stains on the back of my laptop.
Really, this is the only valid reason to use them.

Tacky as fuck in my opinion. I also work in IT so I do have co workers that have a bunch of tech stickers from conferences and stuff. Even the manager has an AWS sticker.
This is the worst. I find it very hard to take someone seriously if their shit is plastered with gaudy stickers advertising SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPANY. Management especially has no fucking excuse.

They're only okay if you're a teenager or a software programmer.
Rather, a software programmer who wishes they were still a teenager.

I just have a street fighter sticker on mine. Don't have it on me but I'll try to post it if I can.

They're about on par with bumper stickers and feel about the same for the people that use them.

I'd say they're more on par with window stickers. One or two tasteful ones can look dope, heaps of small ones? Usually not.

Jonnax

Wow. Some crazy reactions here.
It's just a laptop with a boring top. Stick a few stickers on it, personalise it, have fun.

_Nemo

Stickers look lame but full skins can be cool depending on the design. Don't get the hate in this thread, it's no different than stylish cellphone covers or game controller skins.

Not really into them but it's cool if other people use them. Adds personality to their laptops.

Feel the exact same way. I like the idea and generally check out other people's laptops but I'd be really reluctant to put any on my own laptop.

Wow. Some crazy reactions here.
It's just a laptop with a boring top. Stick a few stickers on it, personalise it, have fun.

GAFers can be oddly judgmental about the silliest things. Laptop stickers are pretty low on my "give a shit" list of things other people do. It's so benign and doesn't affect other people at all. Why let it bother you at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aurongel

Full skins can be Nobel but stickers in general are really adolescent. Web developers I know coat their machines in them and it looks terrible.

EhoaVash

First and only time i saw someone with stickers on their laptop was during a episode of the big bang theory. found it lame as hell lol

Always cracked me up when people asked to be cut a check to replace their stupid ass stickers that they put on their MacBooks, when their top/bottom case needed to be replaced. Some of them are pretty cool, but I couldn't stand the random ass ones placed all over the computer that wouldn't come off.

Stickers are charming. Disdaining people for putting some personal expression into their sterile consumer electronics is less than charming.

quickwhips

I have black suit Spider-Man on my mac looks cool. Get lots of compliments. My buddy has batman and another has darth Vader with apple in his hand.

Chichikov

Good on you. That shit just oozes "Don't promote me - I'm an unprofessional blowhard!" To be fair, they are making things really easy for their managers.
I don't personally have stickers on my laptop (mainly because I can't be arsed) but this is silly as fuck, and if you're in a position to make career decisions for people and factor that shit into your process then honestly, you're a terrible manager.

Not only from a moral perspective, but from a practical one as well, this shit is so prevalent in the software industry, including very senior positions.

Some judgmental asses up in this thread. No fucking fun allowed, huh? I don't go crazy with them but a few here and there are okay. I have the Demoman symbol on the back of my car and an Aperture Science logo on my old laptop.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I have five stickers on my laptop, but two are the same bumper sticker and three are the same circular sticker, so I arranged them to have the bumper stickers on the top and bottom with the three circular stickers in between.

I don't know enough about laptop fashion to know if that's tacky or not. I just like the stickers.

Top Bottom