• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why PS4 downloads are so slow (testing and answers within)

No, the issue is that the OS is artificially kneecapping its network connection to PSN servers whenever anything is running, apparently out of a wildly over conservative desire to avoid starving any other game or app of resources (which makes sense on paper, but a 7K receive window cap is absurdly silly).

Edit: to be clear, it's 100% an OS software issue, 100% fixable simply by changing whatever code in the UI reacts to application launches by choosing to clamp the network socket's receive window to the size of a thimble.

Maybe... this is by design?

They're trying to use less network resources while people are distracted?

Genuinely baffled by how bad this still is. I have fiber, can download games off steam in like 10-15 minutes. Sometimes Steam will be slightly slow but for me that means like 10-40 mb/s, when it's fast it's 50+ mb/s. PSN hardly ever lets me download faster than like 3 mb/s.

The fact that they increased the price despite it still being so shit made me decide not to pay for PS+ anymore. Let them fix this shit first.

Taker34

Banned
My ISP has quite a lot of difficulties with Sony, which is why I only get 1,6 - 1,9 MB/s even though my PC storefronts manage to do 10 - 12 MB/s. That's due to my ISP not supporting dual stack of IPv4 / IPv6 and Sony only supporting IPv4.

You must have a pretty low tolerance for inconvenience. It takes about five minutes to set up and can literally save you hours of wait time.

I'm not talking setup. I mean switching the PS4 to the proxy every time I want to download something (and switching it back when it's done) and having to keep my computer awake while it does so. I don't want to babysit every download. It's not like I have a home server or a spare Pi I can just slap Squid onto.

BigEmil

Yeah I noticed some games while running which requires internet slows down the download differently per each game

Likely bandwidth prioritisation so they don't lag in the game they are playing while downloads are happening in the background

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think today was the first time in all the time that I've owned a PS4 that I got full speed. I was actually shocked to see the downloaded size increase by ~25mb/s when I was downloading Persona 5 this morning.

My PS4 is connected by ethernet and my ISP is Virgin Media (UK) and my advertised speed is 200Mb/s but I can get up to 220Mb/s.

Xenus

Genuinely baffled by how bad this still is. I have fiber, can download games off steam in like 10-15 minutes. Sometimes Steam will be slightly slow but for me that means like 10-40 mb/s, when it's fast it's 50+ mb/s. PSN hardly ever lets me download faster than like 3 mb/s.

The fact that they increased the price despite it still being so shit made me decide not to pay for PS+ anymore. Let them fix this shit first.

This article basically states while there are probably some slowness issues in PSN. Unlike what people think the issue isn't PSN but setting hard caps in the PS4 OS network stack in a silly manner.

Basically Sony needs someone familiar with a linux network stack to rebuild that part of their OS so in theory it can be done in a OS update. As long as they have someone with the skills to do so and someone higher up takes notice to make it a priority.

ultrazilla

If I download anything off PSN, I put the system in rest mode and come back later. No doubts in my mind it shifts to a higher speed in rest mode.

IE: FIX YOUR STUFF SONY!!!!

Behlel

Change your router port mapping, I've tested two ps4 with my router (that have a dedicated setting for psn or live) and I've seen an enormous difference: with the right port mapping applied i almost got full speed (arround 9MB/s of average), the console without port mapping got a 3 to 4 MB/s as average.

senj

Maybe... this is by design?

They're trying to use less network resources while people are distracted?
I mean, obviously it's by design. They literally needed to write code to make it happen.

Throttling the client connection to a tiny 7K actually has negative consequences on their overall server throughput, because you've got a lot of long-running connections eating up server resources (sockets, per-connection data structures) hanging around forever as they trickle down 50GB 7KB at a time. From a networking engineering perspective it's absolutely not a scenario you'd want to be in, as it puts a much lower upper-bound on the number of downloads you can serve per day. Better for everyone to get clients in and out as quickly as possible.

From the client perspective it makes sense to want to cap download resource usage to preserve game speed, but a 7K window is at least an order of magnitude too small to make any sense, and even then you'd only want to cap it when the game is foreground, not "no game running and Netflix has been idling in the background for 36 hours with no use". That's just dumb.

I've only ever had slower download speeds when downloading while playing games, which makes sense especially if it's online. And even then it wasn't that much slower.

That's why I usually only download in rest mode or on the main OS menu (which is incredibly fast for me).

I just use my laptop as a proxy server when I need to download huge files. Speeds things up a ton. There's definitely something wrong with how the PS4 handles downloads.

Replying here since the other thread was old news:

This has never worked for me. Oddly enough, pausing and resuming the download seems to work every now and then.

Head.spawn

PSX Download Helper is what I've been using for years. Hasn't failed me yet.

It's absolutely crazy that you would even have to use something like this, but I'll definitely bookmark it.

Some days my download speed is great, other days it is abysmal at best. I don't use apps much at all, so it's not that.. speed tests come up showing it pretty slow, actual case use is generally even slower than that.

My downloads used to be slow, like 1MB/s. But then they went and changed something to PSN I guess not too long ago because now I'm getting like 15-20MB/s.

Same here. Even my speed tests were abysmal, about 3mb/s down when my PC and Xbox were over 150mb/s down. Now I get around 50-80 on ps4 which is acceptable. Most games download at a rate of around 15mb/s.

tsundoku

Undertale downloaded in like 2 minutes for me a day or two ago so I actually wonder if they finally put out a firmware that fixed my ps4's hangup or somesuch.

the next big game I want to download is iike KH3 and I already have that preordered for 50 canadian dollars instead of 80 so I guess i'll see when Dissidia comes out

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I noticed twitch specifically murders download speeds if it's in the background. Still find that I have to pause and resume multiple times for better speeds though.

And the other day there was a very small overwatch update that took me over 10 minutes on "preparing to download" for a file that took less than 10 seconds to finish.

SebastianM

I thought this was known? Of course it's gonna cap the dl speeds while a game or streaming app is running, you don't want to have your whole bandwith eaten up while you're playing online or streaming a movie. It's a design choice aimed at the average consumer who doesn't quite understand how network usage works.

I always do the whole closing apps thing before a major download, and I still have to babysit downloads through pausing and resuming in order to get a better server every couple of GBs. Even in rest mode you can tell it did slow down judging by how much the download progressed during the time it was off.

Interesting

Gotta say I haven't had an issue with PSN speeds since I changed ISPs back in december.
The difference is kinda crazy - before I was lucky to average 1GB an hour and now I can easily download 40-50GB games within a couple hours.
I tried pretty much every tip to improve it and the only one that sometimes worked was pausing & resuming (it was still slow af though).

My current internet plan is better than before but not THAT much better & the low download speed seemed to be specific to PSN so I still think there was some underlying issue there

bitbydeath

Maybe that's why my downloads are always fast, games come out weekdays so I'm always either at work or asleep when they arrive.

FyreWulff

No, the issue is that the OS is artificially kneecapping its network connection to PSN servers whenever anything is running, apparently out of a wildly over conservative desire to avoid starving any other game or app of resources (which makes sense on paper, but a 7K receive window cap is absurdly silly).

Edit: to be clear, it's 100% an OS software issue, 100% fixable simply by changing whatever code in the UI reacts to application launches by choosing to clamp the network socket's receive window to the size of a thimble.

the 360 did this too and so does the One. You have to do it on a dedicated game box as downloading data actually does take up resources.

Dubz

If you manually download something from PSN, it's blazing fast. I easily hit my bandwidth limit through their HTTP content servers, yet via the PS4 it just doesn't work that way.
Dumb question but how do you do this?

Undertale downloaded in like 2 minutes for me a day or two ago so I actually wonder if they finally put out a firmware that fixed my ps4's hangup or somesuch.

the next big game I want to download is iike KH3 and I already have that preordered for 50 canadian dollars instead of 80 so I guess i'll see when Dissidia comes out

Shocking.

spons

Gold Member
Dumb question but how do you do this?

I only do it for game updates (patches) for PS3 games (preservation, later usage in the RPCS3 emulator). You cannot download games this way, something I cannot stress enough. It's incredibly important to preserve updates. When Sony pulls the plug on PSN, it's all gone.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but a complete tutorial on how to do this is rather off-topic.

Donos

Have to say that since 4-6 months ago downloads are almost maxed (5 MB/sec) every time for me, so i can't complain anymore.

Change your router port mapping, I've tested two ps4 with my router (that have a dedicated setting for psn or live) and I've seen an enormous difference: with the right port mapping applied i almost got full speed (arround 9MB/s of average), the console without port mapping got a 3 to 4 MB/s as average.
How can I do this?

My downloads used to be slow, like 1MB/s. But then they went and changed something to PSN I guess not too long ago because now I'm getting like 15-20MB/s.

With the 4.7 firmware (I believe, the big firmware before 5.0) I went from 2/3 MB/s to 7/10 MB/s for EVERY download.

Same thing for me, what ever firmware update it was a few months ago pretty much made my PSN downloads on par with Steam, haven't had an issue since.

PSN needs to be remodelled because the PS4 reserves network bandwidth for games? Not sure I follow.
You very obviously did not even bother reading the article.
PS4 restricting download speeds when having running applications due to prioritizing system resources to the open applications instead of the download has zero to do with PSN.
The main crux of the issue seems to be how the PS4 manages resources, not the network itself.

i did read the article. i clearly understands what it says. but if you think the way the PSN is set up doesn't factor into the console separating bandwidth for apps and PSN then you're ignoring it. The PSN servers even at "max bandwidth" wouldn't download with the speed the PS4 gets in the network test. the point of my post was that the PSN backend needs overhauling and this was another thing that reminded me of that

test_account

XP-39C²
I just tried this, and its not the case for me. I started Uncharted 4 (probably one of the most intense game regarding hardware usage), then i went to the PS Store and started a download. I got max download speed (4MB/s). Then i started playing Uncharted 4, and went back to check on the download, still doing max speed.

The only time i can remember seeing the download speed drop in regards to running applications is when i play online, which i always assumed is due to design to minimize the chance for lag.

i did read the article. i clearly understands what it says. but if you think the way the PSN is set up doesn't factor into the console separating bandwidth for apps and PSN then you're ignoring it. The PSN servers even at "max bandwidth" wouldn't download with the speed the PS4 gets in the network test. the point of my post was that the PSN backend needs overhauling and this was another thing that reminded me of that
Can you explain this a bit better? When you say that PSN needs an overhaul, it sounds to me like you mean that the network protocols etc. are outdated and that this is a result on how bandwidth are managed. But when it comes to managing bandwidth to apps and such, surely this is intended? And wouldnt this be something that is set on the client side (console) instead of the server side?

chaosaeon

My download and upload speed are both messed up on PS4. I get 7 MB download speed on a 60 MB connection, and my 10 MB upload speed comes out less than 1MB on PS4. I get connection speed warnings and everything when playing games even though the system reports signal strength as 100%. Something is definitely weird with PS4s at least for me.

My downloads used to be slow... But then they went and changed something to PSN I guess not too long ago...

I noticed that too. Downloadspeed was pretty non-constant and often very slow on my PS4 for years. But since last month or so, downloads run at max speed. Strange.

Top Bottom