• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

Alright will continue, the similarities from Nier is crazy. Did Mr Taro take inspiration from undertale?

Let me know if I should spoiler that.

I was wondering the same thing when i saw the
ENDING E
in Automata, instantly reminded me of undertale

I checked, and i saw that taro wanted to play the game at the time when automata was in developpment! And now he was quoted in the final trailer and also tweeted about it! But there was no translation at the time, maybe he watched some japanese streamer and he liked it, and took inspiration from that

DHSWpkrW0AEc7qb.jpg:large

SUCgpAq.png

protonion

I'm before the last fight with
Mettaton
and realised I forgot to
befriend Undyne.
. I know I have to go to her house but noone is there. Did I lose my chance?

I'm before the last fight with
Mettaton
and realised I forgot to
befriend Undyne.
. I know I have to go to her house but noone is there. Did I lose my chance?

Naw, you're fine. You will have the chance to
befriend them later
. The only way you can screw yourself out of that ending is if you
kill anyone

I beat Photoshop Flowey! Only took one try too!

So let me think of what I feel about the
Neutral ending. Flowey, although the biggest jerk I've had the pleasure to meet, has such a tragic backstory once you put two and two together. But the presentation leading up to and during the Photoshop Flowey fight is incredible. I audibly said "oh crap" out loud when my save file was modified. But I felt a huge thrill as I watched the other human souls destroy Flowey. I spared Flowey and the way he comes back to help me out on how to get the Pacifist ending was so cool.

Now Asgore? Man do I feel sorry for him! To have the entire monster kingdom on your shoulders, and still have to stick with what you promised them in your moment of anguish, must have racked him to the soul. It's so apparent that he doesn't want to kill you, especially since he doesn't look at you and trembles whenever you try to talk to him. But he has to to fulfill his promise. He misses his son, he misses his wife, and he knows that he will never get them back. So when I spared him, he looked so overjoyed at the idea of reuniting with his wife to take care of my character, to help my character grow up and always protect him, to have a family again, I teared up. I so desperately wanted that for him. So I was filled with fury when Flowey killed him.
Now on to the date with Alphys. So much fun and awkward moments that I really connected with Alphys. Especially when she mentions that she hates being a burden and lies to help be more involved or be more "cool" to people. That's me to a T.

Then Undyne makes it all hilarious. And when she asks me if Anime is real, I just can't say it's fake. She looks so relieved about that haha!

Finished the true ending. What a work of art. No way I'll go for
genocide
, I just couldn't do that.
I already knew that I wouldn't be able to do the
Genocide ending
so I just watched it on YouTube.

So let me think of what I feel about the
Neutral ending. Flowey, although the biggest jerk I've had the pleasure to meet, has such a tragic backstory once you put two and two together. But the presentation leading up to and during the Photoshop Flowey fight is incredible. I audibly said "oh crap" out loud when my save file was modified. But I felt a huge thrill as I watched the other human souls destroy Flowey. I spared Flowey and the way he comes back to help me out on how to get the Pacifist ending was so cool.

Now Asgore? Man do I feel sorry for him! To have the entire monster kingdom on your shoulders, and still have to stick with what you promised them in your moment of anguish, must have racked him to the soul. It's so apparent that he doesn't want to kill you, especially since he doesn't look at you and trembles whenever you try to talk to him. But he has to to fulfill his promise. He misses his son, he misses his wife, and he knows that he will never get them back. So when I spared him, he looked so overjoyed at the idea of reuniting with his wife to take care of my character, to help my character grow up and always protect him, to have a family again, I teared up. I so desperately wanted that for him. So I was filled with fury when Flowey killed him.
Now on to the date with Alphys. So much fun and awkward moments that I really connected with Alphys. Especially when she mentions that she hates being a burden and lies to help be more involved or be more "cool" to people. That's me to a T.

Then Undyne makes it all hilarious. And when she asks me if Anime is real, I just can't say it's fake. She looks so relieved about that haha!

I already knew that I wouldn't be able to do the
Genocide ending
so I just watched it on YouTube.

SPOILER TAG IMMEDIATLY THE FIRST PHRASE OF YOUR MESSAGE PLEASE

SPOILER TAG IMMEDIATLY THE FIRST PHRASE OF YOUR MESSAGE PLEASE
Wait why? It doesn't have a spoiler and I thought it would be good to leave that part unspoiled so that people know what's going to be in the spoiler part.

EDIT: NEVER MIND THAT ONE PART WAS SUPPOSED TO BE INSIDE THE FIRST PARAGRAPH MY BAD!

Syril

that's okay, everything's fine now!

Speaking of the genocide run, did you feel bad when flowey called you out for just watching? Haha
Yep, because no one's more entitled to judge than the murderous flower who just got done justifying the abandonment of his own morals.

I felt like a total villain! That was deep right there. I had to think for a while. What a slap in the face.

imagine what it felt to do the genocide ending yourself! Especially against undyne, the intro music, her speachs, she's the heroine, you're the true villain, her final boss! But i regret nothing, it was so good, i think it's the only game where i genuinly felt bad for doing what i did

.Anema

So, I finished the game with the true
pacifist ending
. Without spoilers and without knowing anything before from this game (it was my first playthrough ever) and holy shit...
I almost cried with that final
hug between Frisk and Asriel
it was so beautiful and special. Also the fight against
photoshop something
was truly amazing, It was very scary and unconfortable at some points. And after
the ending I travelled back to the start of the game and it was so rewarding that everyone had new dialogues and even some characters evolved and completed their paths!

This game is really something special. Specially the end dialogues from
Flowey

I cant articulate more coherent comments because I feel a little vulnerable after playing this lol. But if you have te opportunity please play it.

So, I finished the game with the true
pacifist ending
. Without spoilers and without knowing anything before from this game (it was my first playthrough ever) and holy shit...
I almost cried with that final
hug between Frisk and Asriel
it was so beautiful and special. Also the fight against
photoshop something
was truly amazing, It was very scary and unconfortable at some points. And after
the ending I travelled back to the start of the game and it was so rewarding that everyone had new dialogues and even some characters evolved and completed their paths!

This game is really something special. Specially the end dialogues from
Flowey

I cant articulate more coherent comments because I feel a little vulnerable after playing this lol. But if you have te opportunity please play it.

Glad you liked it! but there's one thing missing in your post.... will you do the genocide run? :3

Okay, I feel really dumb for this, but I just learned about (full spoilers)
the end of the Pacifist run letting you go back throughout the whole world and talk to everyone (after the barrier is broken). That's fucking crazy and I can't believe I never knew about it until now.

You can even talk to Asriel if you go all the way back to the first area? That's such a nice touch

By the way, is any of the
Gaster stuff (The weird NPCs and whatnot.)
accessible in the PS4 version?

Speaking of
Gaster
, did the trophy patch also fix the glitch where the game would downright crash if you chose that name or is that one still to come?

Also, any first impressions of japanese players and especially about the official localisation compared to the previous fan translation?

It makes me so happy that so many new people are finally discovering the magic of Undertale. Especially with the negative perception the Undertale fandom has garnered since its release. It's not fair that people have taken that as a cue to never play what really is one of the most special games ever made.

By the way, is any of the
Gaster stuff (The weird NPCs and whatnot.)
accessible in the PS4 version?

Speaking of
Gaster
, did the trophy patch also fix the glitch where the game would downright crash if you chose that name or is that one still to come?

Also, any first impressions of japanese players and especially about the official localisation compared to the previous fan translation?

This I especially want to know. I'm really curious to hear what Japan thinks of a game so uniquely local to the English-speaking West while also being a love letter to the Japanese games that pioneered the genre.

JJShadow

Just grabbed this, I'm really excited to finally try it out after hearing people praising it everywhere. Is it possible to do a full-pacifist run on your first playthrough? Any tips or things to take into account early on?

imagine what it felt to do the genocide ending yourself! Especially against undyne, the intro music, her speachs, she's the heroine, you're the true villain, her final boss! But i regret nothing, it was so good, i think it's the only game where i genuinly felt bad for doing what i did
I couldn't handle it. That's why I'm staying away from Genocide!
Just grabbed this, I'm really excited to finally try it out after hearing people praising it everywhere. Is it possible to do a full-pacifist run on your first playthrough? Any tips or things to take into account early on?
On the Pacifist run:
Yes and no. You need to get the Neutral ending first and beat the game. BUT once that happens you can reload your save file and work towards getting the Pacifist ending! That means that you don't have to do another full walkthrough!

One thing I can remember right now is to buy a spider donut and don't eat it until you reach a certain point. You can buy the spider donut very very early in the game but after that the bakery is unreachable.

Ferrio

Banned
Talking about passive on first playthrough:

I hate how playing passive is the more efficient way, since some of the neutral scenes you can miss if you're passive are some of the most emotional in the game.

Talking about passive on first playthrough:

I hate how playing passive is the more efficient way, since some of the neutral scenes you can miss if you're passive are some of the most emotional in the game.
I feel like it's the
Genocide run that has the most emotional scenes with the exception of a couple.

JJShadow

I couldn't handle it. That's why I'm staying away from Genocide!

On the Pacifist run:
Yes and no. You need to get the Neutral ending first and beat the game. BUT once that happens you can reload your save file and work towards getting the Pacifist ending! That means that you don't have to do another full walkthrough!

One thing I can remember right now is to buy a spider donut and don't eat it until you reach a certain point. You can buy the spider donut very very early in the game but after that the bakery is unreachable.

Thanks for the info! In order to do this "trick", I imagine you still need not to kill any enemy in the first playthrough, right? Even though it would first lead to the neutral ending

Arrrammis

For anyone who thinks they've completed everything there is in Undertale: According to The Completionist in his Undertale video, there are
25 different endings, each taking into account who you killed, who you became friends with, and other choices you made.

That still blows my mind.

tsundoku

For anyone who thinks they've completed everything there is in Undertale: According to The Completionist in his Undertale video, there are
25 different endings, each taking into account who you killed, who you became friends with, and other choices you made.

That still blows my mind.
its literally just extra dialogue boxes that pop up in Sans phone call and that completionist guy is an absolute moron. Even if he wanted to make the argument of seeing the neutral path complete phone call without being on a genocide run he just had to play through once killing all the bosses but not exterminating the monsters

This game is really interesting on
pacifist route
a second time. Im discovering new ways to beat enemies without hurting them!

Sadly I skipped the
spider boss
and now I'm sad :(

tsundoku

I bought this instead of Sonic because it was 5$ cheaper
and i've already beaten this game like 3 times

I think i'm going to play the game again, I'm really interested in seeing if the battle system actually feels good and not gamemaker glitchy on a controller, considering I couldn't play with a controller before on my mac

Arrrammis

its literally just extra dialogue boxes that pop up in Sans phone call and that completionist guy is an absolute moron. Even if he wanted to make the argument of seeing the neutral path complete phone call without being on a genocide run he just had to play through once killing all the bosses but not exterminating the monsters

It's a different result in the world, and really interesting to see if you're interested in the characters. No need to flip your lid just because you aren't as interested in that kind of thing as other people.

Thanks for the info! In order to do this "trick", I imagine you still need not to kill any enemy in the first playthrough, right? Even though it would first lead to the neutral ending
Yes. I didn't kill anyone but I was still forced to fight Asgore. But when you get to choose, go with Mercy. He still gets killed by Flowey so you still fight him but if you also spare Flowey, when you finish the game and reload your save file he quickly tells you that there is a way to get a much better ending where everyone is happy. Then he'll give you instructions on where to go. Follow his instructions. But don't kill anyone.

tsundoku

It's a different result in the world, and really interesting to see if you're interested in the characters. No need to flip your lid just because you aren't as interested in that kind of thing as other people.

The guy is a complete idiot and artificially inflates games for drama and views to make it seem like they take way more time to enjoy. One of the games he chose to do a video on was "Hyrule Warriors" and then he complained because the game was taking him so long when its specifically meant to be an unfinishable loot treadmill.

When they announced the 2 intersecting Fire Emblem Fates games and its the bonus canon/noncanon path as dlc meant to be played after you complete the two games, he said, "I'm really interested in that third game, i'll probably play that path first"

Crayolan

I feel like it's the
Genocide run that has the most emotional scenes with the exception of a couple.

Neutral route stuff:
Killing Undyne on the Neutral route is incredibly depressing,
even moreso than on Genocide. Also in that context Papyrus's call immediately after asking to hang out with Undyne turns into some pretty dark humor.

To a lesser extent, killing Toriel also adds extra impact to the private discussion with Sans in the MTT Resort and the confrontation with Asgore, and killing Papyrus changes the tone of the Undyne fight.

And IMO, if you never killed anything simply because you were told to play pacifist, the EXP/LOVE reveal loses a lot impact.

OniBaka

It makes me so happy that so many new people are finally discovering the magic of Undertale. Especially with the negative perception the Undertale fandom has garnered since its release. It's not fair that people have taken that as a cue to never play what really is one of the most special games ever made.
For me I just don't like playing on my pc so when they announced for vita I jumped on it straight away.

I'm about 2 hours in. Guess about halfway with the trophy I got called midpoint lol. Loving this game so far. Enjoying the characters and the story. Every thing about this game just has this awesome charm.

Lynx_7

This thread needs more
Genocide
route reactions. Like,
True Pacifist
is amazing and all, but I swear my strongest memories of the game are from the
Genocide
path. It left such a lasting impression on me I still think about it 2 years later. The juxtaposition probably helps since it's such a huge tonal shift from the rest of the game, it feels wrong and the whole experience is just really unnerving.
Murdering Papyrus legit made me feel like a complete piece of shit, I almost gave up at that point, which isn't a reaction any other game managed to get out of me
. It also has some of the best tracks in the game. So what I'm saying is stop being such wussies and go
murder all your friends

EDIT: That said, I would totally never do it again. When I buy the game for the PS4 my save shall remain forever pure. lol

Even if you disregard the emotional aspect from the
Genocide run
, it's worth it for both gameplay and lore reasons.
It has the by far most difficult two battles in the game and you learn quite a bit of important, missing story pieces. Especially Sans' role in the game gets heavily recontextualized in the Genocide route.

TheOGB

Banned
This thread needs more
Genocide
route reactions. Like,
True Pacifist
is amazing and all, but I swear my strongest memories of the game are from the
Genocide
path. It left such a lasting impression on me I still think about it 2 years later. The juxtaposition probably helps since it's such a huge tonal shift from the rest of the game, it feels wrong and the whole experience is just really unnerving.
Murdering Papyrus legit made me feel like a complete piece of shit, I almost gave up at that point, which isn't a reaction any other game managed to get out of me
. It also has some of the best tracks in the game. So what I'm saying is stop being such wussies and go
murder all your friends

EDIT: That said, I would totally never do it again. When I buy the game for the PS4 my save shall remain forever pure. lol
I just can't decide if I want to
have a bad time
on the PS4 or the PC.
I kinda want to leave my PS4 save untainted and do it on PC, where I can fuck around with the SAVE file afterwards if I want ;V

Top Bottom