• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Took a screenshot of Radiata Stories, which is criminally underrated and is a gorgeous game

4x

and native, so you dont go around thinking PS2 games didnt look like this back in the day ;)

Yep, I have some shots laying around somewhere. I have to find them.

Here they are....

pcsx2-r53502012-08-10cxuam.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-10nzuzb.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-106guu7.png

Same settings but I just set it to bobtff to stop the slight shake. Game speaks for itself.

Nemesis_

I get a perfect 60fps for most part but then I go through a door or something and the game literally slows to about 6fps. What the fuck am I doing wrong? Is my computer just SHIT? I have an i7 so I thought I would be in the clear.

This game is GREEN on the compatibility list as well. Might try another just to be safe.

I've been thinking of ripping my collection and playing some of my PS2 games that I never got chance to finish, but I've never used my current PC as a gaming rig, and, to be honest, haven't used a PC to play games since the late 90's. I have a PC with an e8500 Core2Duo (3.16) with 4gb of ram and a 9500 GT graphics card, but from playing around with the emulator a little I know that this isn't enough; Final Fantasy X ran well in places, but there was noticeable slowdown in certain segments of the game.

So, my question is how much improvement would there be if I upgraded to a good graphics card, or would my CPU be too much of a bottleneck to make the investment worthwhile?

LiquidMetal14

I've been thinking of ripping my collection and playing some of my PS2 games that I never got chance to finish, but I've never used my current PC as a gaming rig, and, to be honest, haven't used a PC to play games since the late 90's. I have a PC with an e8500 Core2Duo (3.16) with 4gb of ram and a 9500 GT graphics card, but from playing around with the emulator a little I know that this isn't enough; Final Fantasy X ran well in places, but there was noticeable slowdown in certain segments of the game.

So, my question is how much improvement would there be if I upgraded to a good graphics card, or would my CPU be too much of a bottleneck to make the investment worthwhile?

While the GPU matters somewhat, a lot of the brute force work is being done in CPU cycles. I highly suggest getting a new 4 core CPU. Keep the GPU for now but a 2500k alone will help you out exponentially. I have never had issues with mine at stock 3.3ghz or the current 4.8 I'm running at now. This thing kills everything.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yep, I have some shots laying around somewhere. I have to find them.

Here they are....

pcsx2-r53502012-08-10cxuam.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-10nzuzb.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-106guu7.png

Same settings but I just set it to bobtff to stop the slight shake. Game speaks for itself.

Any ideas on how to fix the cutscenes? They lag and have some sort of blurry artifacts appear on top of geometry during them.

What you want is a card with a decent amount of RAM (so you can up the internal resolution along with antialiasing) and a modern Core Processor (i5 2500k is best bang for buck).

I feel like somebody in here (who is much smarter than me with this sort of stuff...really keep in mind I'm not well versed in this) can help me with this problem.
Enabling my Dualshock 3 in Motion in Joy (through a USB cable) is giving me a blue screen of death. Something driver related. I've used my controller through my computer like this before but now this happens every time I try to connect it. Maybe somebody can help? I can't find the answer.

Dgott

Banned
I feel like somebody in here (who is much smarter than me with this sort of stuff...really keep in mind I'm not well versed in this) can help me with this problem.
Enabling my Dualshock 3 in Motion in Joy (through a USB cable) is giving me a blue screen of death. Something driver related. I've used my controller through my computer like this before but now this happens every time I try to connect it. Maybe somebody can help? I can't find the answer.

Don't use motion Joy, use "Game Saike Six Axis Driver". That's what I had to use, because the motion joy driver is now changed to use blutooth instead of the USB.

Does anyone know how to get full 360 degrees analog working on a wired Xbox controller? I want to dig into some Kingdom Hearts, but the combat becomes clunky whenever I can only move in the cardinal directions and the diagonals. There's no transition between.

I've tried searching the internet for a solution, but it usually leads me to vague explanations or things that just don't work. Try to explain it to me like I'm five years old, I guess. Thanks.

Don't use motion Joy, use "Game Saike Six Axis Driver". That's what I had to use, because the motion joy driver is now changed to use blutooth instead of the USB.

With GameSaike I'm having some issues figuring out exactly how to set it up with pcsx2 hehe sorry.
Basically I see "Driver is ok" which I assume is good. So it's probably just a pcsx2 configuration thing I'm unfamiliar with...?

Does anyone know how to get full 360 degrees analog working on a wired Xbox controller? I want to dig into some Kingdom Hearts, but the combat becomes clunky whenever I can only move in the cardinal directions and the diagonals. There's no transition between.

I've tried searching the internet for a solution, but it usually leads me to vague explanations or things that just don't work. Try to explain it to me like I'm five years old, I guess. Thanks.

Does it work with other (non emulated) games properly? Is it only on the emulator that it is having this issue?

Yeah after Gamesaike I can assign all the controller buttons fine except for the analog sticks. Any help there? Sorry this is probably something really dumb

Took a screenshot of Radiata Stories, which is criminally underrated and is a gorgeous game

4x

and native, so you dont go around thinking PS2 games didnt look like this back in the day ;)

Radiata Stories is incredibly underrated, I might replay it in PCSX2 considering the huge upgrade in visual quality, amazing texture work.

Been playing Final Fantasy XII since I put together my new PC. Not that it hasn't been said before but it looks absolutely outstanding, holds up amazingly well. In-game cut scene character models have to be some of the nicest on the PS2 if not the entirety of last generation (I remember the Gamecube RE games having particularly great models too).

Playing at 5x resolution, with SMAA (cleans up what little jaggies I see only when I'm looking for them). Occasional drop that I wouldn't notice unless I had fraps going.

LiquidMetal14

Any ideas on how to fix the cutscenes? They lag and have some sort of blurry artifacts appear on top of geometry during them.

Sorry for late response as this thread sinks and comes back so it's hard to keep up. Let me check one thing then I let you know.

I tested some beginning cutscenes out and they had a slight blur at times but nothing very distracting. I have to mess with more settings but for the most part, they looked like this...

pcsx2-r53502012-08-1262qye.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-1201qp0.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-12moozg.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-121qq7h.png

Add me on Steam, I will walk you through the steps. I know what you mean on the error and I've fixed it myself.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Sorry for late response as this thread sinks and comes back so it's hard to keep up. Let me check one thing then I let you know.

I tested some beginning cutscenes out and they had a slight blur at times but nothing very distracting. I have to mess with more settings but for the most part, they looked like this...

pcsx2-r53502012-08-1262qye.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-1201qp0.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-12moozg.png

pcsx2-r53502012-08-121qq7h.png

Add me on Steam, I will walk you through the steps. I know what you mean on the error and I've fixed it myself.

Looks a lot better than mine on cutscenes. Lowered the sampling and that mostly deals with the slowdown but Im still getting the weird blurry stuff. Are you running the default settings?

LiquidMetal14

Looks a lot better than mine on cutscenes. Lowered the sampling and that mostly deals with the slowdown but Im still getting the weird blurry stuff. Are you running the default settings?

I'm gonna cap my config, gimme 5 minutes or so.

cap1b9l0i.png

cap2qhzjy.png

cap3p6l2m.png

I mess with nothing on the SPU or hack sections outside of this. The main changes happen in the GFX plugin.

Maybe we can take the same shot and compare.

Dgott

Banned
Yeah after Gamesaike I can assign all the controller buttons fine except for the analog sticks. Any help there? Sorry this is probably something really dumb

1st, go under properties for the controller via the control panel in windows and calibrate it. Once it's calibrated, then open pcsx2 and assign all the buttons 1 by 1. When you pick analog, you have to push the stick in direction for the direction you picked. DON'T MAKE A CIRCLE WITH THE STICK.

Sorry I'm with my girl watching TrueBlood and can't get around the PC to give better directions. Will try in a bit.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Getting back into this after some time to return to FFXII

Is the 1.0 release enough to download (sans BIOS of course), so no extra downloads necessary like plugins and or hacks? Thanks!

edit, nvm. Seems everything is there :)

1st, go under properties for the controller via the control panel in windows and calibrate it. Once it's calibrated, then open pcsx2 and assign all the buttons 1 by 1. When you pick analog, you have to push the stick in direction for the direction you picked. DON'T MAKE A CIRCLE WITH THE STICK.

Sorry I'm with my girl watching TrueBlood and can't get around the PC to give better directions. Will try in a bit.

Don't worry about it man, you are more than enough help. Thanks so much

Mit-

I'm playing through Persona 3 right now. So far so good. Didn't really mess with any settings except 3x resolution for ~1080p.

A couple images are out of order in the menus, and sometimes portrait transitions aren't that smooth. Also the music slows/skips when loading things sometimes. Anything I can do about this? It's just me nitpicking. I'm sure this is "perfectly" playable by most everyone else's standards. Just wondering if there's anything I can use to crank a little more power into the program and make it even better (I'm running a 2500k rig. Averages at like 20-30% CPU).

Edgeward

I'm playing through Persona 3 right now. So far so good. Didn't really mess with any settings except 3x resolution for ~1080p.

A couple images are out of order in the menus, and sometimes portrait transitions aren't that smooth. Also the music slows/skips when loading things sometimes. Anything I can do about this? It's just me nitpicking. I'm sure this is "perfectly" playable by most everyone else's standards. Just wondering if there's anything I can use to crank a little more power into the program and make it even better (I'm running a 2500k rig. Averages at like 20-30% CPU).

I'm playing through FES myself, didn't notice any of those things you mentioned. Games runs perfectly fine except when saving the game, the music slows down. Other than that, it's fine. Running a 2500k with AMD 6850 myself

These seemed like such easy instructions haha. Well whenever you get the chance, really no rush, your detailed directions are much appreciated!

Crap, don't know what to tell you. Let me look into it more.

Don't worry about it, I actually got motion in joy to work again. But if you wanna take another look in the next day or so and see if you can figure it out that would be awesome.
I'm just not a fan of motion in joy haha

Nemesis_

Motionjoy is the way to go. If you follow what I do, it's flawless.

I am having problems with Motionjoy - after I have had it sync perfectly I could just press the PS Button and it would automatically pair with my laptop.

But today I noticed it isn't syncing at all with my laptop despite me having set it up.

Do I need to go through the entire process again? Is there a way to stop this from happening in the future? I'm assuming after I restarted my computer that something might've been reset or wiped or something.

LiquidMetal14

I am having problems with Motionjoy - after I have had it sync perfectly I could just press the PS Button and it would automatically pair with my laptop.

But today I noticed it isn't syncing at all with my laptop despite me having set it up.

Do I need to go through the entire process again? Is there a way to stop this from happening in the future? I'm assuming after I restarted my computer that something might've been reset or wiped or something.

You on Steam? I can walk you through it or send you a PM tomorrow as it's getting late here.

catabarez

Does anyone know how well Spider-Man 2 runs on this? I was going to go with using Dophin but I heard it does a bad job at emulating the game.

Teletraan1

Banned
Tried some of the WS patches and I have to say that unless you are going in and telling it to render those extra items I found it more distracting having NPCs, objects and enemies pop onto the screen once they get within the normal 4:3 edges of the screen. Some games like Xenosaga 1 on the Durandal are dumping almost everything that is not within the 4:3 framing and you get parts of the ship drawing in and disappearing at that threshold. Great for screen shots. Actually playing some of these games not so much.

Top Bottom