• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Aw shit this is my favorite track from the album so far. Some absolutely amazing vibes, the chords just give me alllllll the right feelings. Featuring Rag'n'Bone Man, Zebra Katz & RAY BLK. Can't wait to do a full review of this album :D

Gorillaz - The Apprentice (Official Audio)

I was on the fence at first but the breakdown sold me. That staccato string was like a smack in the face...the good kind, if you know what I mean ;)

Hehe thanks man :)

Aomber

Let's get the good news out of the way first. DOG BLOOD are returning for the first time in a long time this summer at HARD. For those not aware, Dog Blood is a collaboration project between Skrillex and Boys Noize, which was mainly put on pause for a while due to Jack U. Would be really interested to see if they decide to come out with any new music.

http://thissongissick.com/post/hard-summer-music-festival-announce-2017-lineup-dog-blood

One of their old tracks: DOG BLOOD - Next Order

Also, on a discovery note, I don't usually "follow labels" so to speak, but lately I've been really feeling the tracks from Suara Music. I'd recommend checking out their stuff if you're into techno

A couple of great examples:

DJ Tonio - Queen (ANNA Remix) [Suara] The panning effect in this song is so damn good, combined with the resonated filter usage wowowow

Hardmonique (Marascia & Frank Deka) - Vortango (Original Mix) [Suara]

EDIT: Wanted to add this one too, damn I love Jeremy Olander's stuff especially when it's a Suara release, really feeling the chord changes and vibe changes throughout the track, very nice stuff.

Jeremy Olander - Panorama (Original Mix) [Suara]

The only thing I'll add about some of these tracks is that this "BOOM" sound that sounds like it's from Inception is being a bit overused in some techno tracks right now. However it's not too much of a commonplace throughout any given track and it's a cool effect so eh, no biggie

------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the bad news. This next song.

ODESZA - Line Of Sight (feat. WYNNE & Mansionair)

For fucks sake, enough of this.This is straight up trendy mainstream future bass, and this was so absolutely unnecessary - ODESZA have been really successful so far with their own unique sound. The music itself is astonishingly bland coming from these two, and the vocal choice is the most boring I've heard from their catalog of music coming from some great, fitting vocal choices on previous songs they've released.

There's very little worth talking about with this song. This genuinely makes me salty, these were some of the last guys I was expecting this from. What a damn disappointing return, this made me a lot less excited about their next album.

Next up, a new remix from Oliver

Grey - I Miss You (Oliver Remix)

Eh... I gotta say, this is the first track from Oliver that I don't find to be anything too special. It's okay, it just doesn't feel like it differs too much from the original, which Oliver is usually quite good at. I wasn't a fan of the original track and was kinda hoping they would offer something a little more interesting.

Aomber

ODESZA just dropped a second track today

ODESZA - Late Night

This is much better. Not something I would have expected from them, but nevertheless it's a nice track, really feels like something you would drive to late at night and the artwork is pretty appropriate. Love how ODESZA took their sound influence and applied it to something new for them, especially liking how they brought in that guitar. Good stuff.

I'm guessing they released this so soon after expecting the response to the first track because A LOT of people online have criticized "Line Of Sight"

mr stroke

2gG7UME.jpg

No Gorillaz show in my area, so grabbed tickets for LIB this year. Line up looking solid..

Aomber

2gG7UME.jpg

No Gorillaz show in my area, so grabbed tickets for LIB this year. Line up looking solid..

Yeah that's the same deal with me. I'm in Boston right now but by the time they come I'm probably gonna have moved and the show is on a weekday, they're playing a festival in NYC but I don't know what the rest of the lineup is yet. Also I saw that LIB lineup before and it's overall really solid

Anyway I'm fairly certain they're going to perform at Coachella next year so there's that too

mr stroke

Now for the bad news. This next song.

ODESZA - Line Of Sight (feat. WYNNE & Mansionair)

For fucks sake, enough of this.This is straight up trendy mainstream future bass, and this was so absolutely unnecessary - ODESZA have been really successful so far with their own unique sound. The music itself is astonishingly bland coming from these two, and the vocal choice is the most boring I've heard from their catalog of music coming from some great, fitting vocal choices on previous songs they've released.

There's very little worth talking about with this song. This genuinely makes me salty, these were some of the last guys I was expecting this from. What a damn disappointing return, this made me a lot less excited about their next album.

I don't know what it is but I love this song. why WTF??!!! I should hate this, it sounds like pure generic Future Bass Chainsmoker's music.

My only thought, the melody that comes in after the break at 1:15, that plays through the rest of the song just works so well, gives the track a ton of warmth. I really want to hate this track but its sooooooo good :(

Aomber

I don't know what it is but I love this song. why WTF??!!! I should hate this, it sounds like pure generic Future Bass Chainsmoker's music.

My only thought, the melody that comes in after the break at 1:15, that plays through the rest of the song just works so well, gives the track a ton of warmth. I really want to hate this track but its sooooooo good :(

Hahaha we all have guilty pleasures :D

Tritonal remixed The Chainsmoker's Something Just Like This.

I don't understand remixes like this. Why even spend the time as a producer to make this? It's almost identical to the original but just worse, and that's saying something

Aomber

So I just listened to the new Gorillaz album "Humanz" and... At the moment, all I can think is... Yikes.

I was gonna post a big write up but I think I have to sit on this one. My first impression is absolutely not good though, outside of the pre-release singles it felt like an incoherent, forgettable mess. Really REALLY wanted to like this album :( dammit

Damn. That's really rough, can't imagine what the festival goers must feel like

And another remix to DJ Sammy's (well, Dash Berlin's version) Heaven by DJ Isaac. Offering a slightly toned down Hardstyle version for the masses to fist pump to.

These kinds of remixes are, sadly, what I think more and more Hardstyle producers need to make if they want a bigger audience in the US. It's way easier to listen to without nearly all the trademarked Hardstyle screeches and kicks, climaxes, and reverse bass.

Compared to Hardwell's Hardstyle bestie:

Young Again (Dr Phunk Remix). This is just a track that is merely meant to close any Hardwell set because of it's energy and intensity. I don't think many festival goers will like an hour long set of Hardstyle tracks like this. Carnage kind of proved me wrong but his Ultra set was mixed with Trap, Dubstep, Rap, and Hardstyle.

I do like how some people harp on about how crazy festival goers get when they hear Hardstyle. But that's due to outside forces - drugs, alcohol, and genre fatigue. When they hear Hardstyle by the end of a Big Room set they also don't know how to dance to Hardstyle (hint.... It's mainly fist pumping for the casual way of dancing to Hardstyle). The one thing they do know is, "woah that shit is intense and goes Hard! *shakes uncontrollably*"

I'm still shocked that Hardwell had one song with Reverse Bass and he played it at UMF of all places. That's fucking SIIIICK.

On to other remix news..... The Chainsmoker's has released the Official Remixes to Something Just Like This:

For most of us these are going to be
(hint hint: boring)

Don Diablo's version not my favorite but it's one of the better ones. I would say it's a blend of Future Houseish with Electro Houseish genres. So a House track.

DVLM's version is.... Weird and kind of stupid due to the mixture of Big Room, Electro House, and Trap sounds for the drops. We all know this wasn't made by the duo so I wonder who actually made this remix, lol.

R3hab's version is a Future Bassy and Tropical Houseish track. It's aight.

ARMNHMR's version which is a Future Bass track. So if you're into that, take a listen.

Jai Wolf's version which is sort of Indie-esque EDM/Pop track (just Electronic?)? I've heard of Jai Wolf but never really looked into his discography. It's probably the best of the listed remixes.

Alesso's version which I heard like a couple or a month ago and wasn't impressed at all. It's an Electro House track that tries to harpen back to the days where Electro House (or Anthem House or "Prog" House) was the most popular genre before things shifted.

Aomber

Before diving into Gorillaz, worth mentioning this CHVRCHES track that was posted today. This is technically a track that was already released, but this is a completely different take on the original. Really beautiful piece of work, something different and more instrumental for CHVRCHES' sound in support of Seven Inches for Planned Parenthood

CHVRCES - Down Side of Me (Live)

Now let's get to the meat.

5fBFCT1.jpg

So, let me get straight to the point with this album. This is a playlist, there's no question about it, I would recommend you just go through it and find the songs you like, this isn't really an album that you sit down and listen to in one go. I got the feeling of that right from the start when I found out Ascension was the first track of the album right after the intro track, just didn't feel like much of an intro and I wasn't sure how the album was going to pivot itself from there. That being said, that alone makes it slightly disappointing to me. I was really hoping there would be a clear theme to the album with the way Damon was speaking about it prior to release with the whole "post-trump inauguration" theme, but it just felt inconsistent and incoherent to listen to from start to end in that regard. Plastic Beach was Gorillaz's strongest album for that reason in my opinion.

As far as individual songs go, there's not really much that's BAD here so to speak (other than Momentz, that track is what I don't even) but I gotta say, the best songs from the album were the ones that were pre-release singles. I just felt like a lot of the stuff in between those was alright, but forgettable, I went back and listened to them again this morning to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the large majority of tracks do nothing for me. One of the issues with the album is it has a bit of an identity crisis outside of the missing themes - it has way too many collaborators. I understand this is what Gorillaz is known for, but 26 songs is insane and the collaborators don't leave much room for the Gorillaz sound to shine through for the most part.

It's not a terrible album or anything but it's a big disappointment for me personally. Give it a listen anyway, there might be a couple songs in the huge tracklist that will appeal to you, just don't go in expecting a coherent story.

On to other remix news..... The Chainsmoker's has released the Official Remixes to Something Just Like This:

For most of us these are going to be
(hint hint: boring)

Agreed... Jai Wolf one is the strongest, not 100% my thing but it's different anyway, Alesso version is just a weak version of his older progressive pop works.

Huh.... Never knew TNT did a Hard Dance remix to Binary Finary's 1998. It's not a full length remix though which makes me sad.

Noticed that those two, TNT, are experimenting with Psy and Trance lately. Hm.... I think this, Psylent Hill, was the other track that I believe they made (reposted again because why not)? Not too sure if they've dived into other Psy and Trance tracks before the two listed songs.

I know how popular and monumental Gorillaz are but I just can't get into them. Maybe this album will make me a fan but I doubt it. Will listen to it soon.

Aomber

uoCSq8S.png

SO now we move onto Cashmere Cat's debut album, 9. I have to say having listened to the Gorillaz album earlier, I think overall this Cashmere Cat album is definitely the stronger of the two when it comes to collaborative effort. This definitely maintains a more consistent theme and feels like a Cashmere Cat album, he manages to write some really beautiful music with boundary-pushing sound design, especially in the Pop realm where he experiments with some very mainstream artists. I was pretty surprised that the album leaned more towards the mellow side of things, it has a couple of "bigger" moments but by and large this isn't the case. But god damn there are some great Pop tracks in here, that Ariana Grande one "Quit" and the Selena Gomez/Tory Lanez collab "Trust Nobody" are really doing favors to their sounds respectively, definitely better than a lot of those singers' solo works.

There were a couple tracks I wasn't huge on, and a couple points I wanna make about the album as a whole. The first track being 9 (After Coachella) which is a collaboration between MO and SOPHIE. For those that aren't familiar with SOPHIE, he worked with Charli XCX on the Vroom Vroom EP, and SOPHIE has a very, very unusual production style to say the least. SOPHIE's style isn't really my thing but I understand what he's going for regardless, but that being said I didn't think his side of the collaboration was that fitting in this particular song. I think something different could have been done for the hooks than what SOPHIE brought to the table. The other one I wasn't massive on was the collaboration with The Weeknd & Francis and the Lights. It just didn't feel like it went anywhere and didn't bring out the qualities of The Weeknd's performances, I thought "True Colors" from The Weeknd's Starboy album was a much stronger collab between him and Cashmere.

As for the album as a collective piece, while I really liked it for all the reasons mentioned, I think the only thing I would have liked to have seen is a bit more energy. There's points in the album where it feels like it's begging to just TAKE OFF like a jet airplane, but it never gets to that point. I was hoping for a little more energy to be brought to the table, maybe that's a stylistic change that Cashmere Cat is moving away from, but I was all for it when he was doing that kind of stuff before. I mean a great example is Love incredible, nice pop song but it feels like it just hits a climax without ever amounting to anything. Also it would have been nice to get a bit more instrumental stuff, really liked Victoria's Veil and I wanted to hear more of that.

Regardless, a pretty nice album! Would definitely recommend checking it out if you wanna listen to some somewhat-unusual electronic pop music.

Huh.... Never knew TNT did a Hard Dance remix to Binary Finary's 1998. It's not a full length remix though which makes me sad.

Noticed that those two, TNT, are experimenting with Psy and Trance lately. Hm.... I think this, Psylent Hill, was the other track that I believe they made (reposted again because why not)? Not too sure if they've dived into other Psy and Trance tracks before the two listed songs.

I know how popular and monumental Gorillaz are but I just can't get into them. Maybe this album will make me a fan but I doubt it. Will listen to it soon.

Really feeling that Psylent Hill track, love me some psytrance :D

Also go listen to Plastic Beach. It's a much better album than Humanz. Demon Days is also pretty good but its sound rubs on the more dated, rock side of things, it depends if that's your thing.

Huh.... Monstercat and Trap Nation are making some big moves this year. Trap Nation had a event recently and Monstercat will be at Tomorrowland. Cool for Monstercat but I've heard some shitty things about Trap Nation though.

I see DJ Khaled is trying to get into the EDM festival scene, eh?

Sai-kun

Banned
i was gonna post about that cashmere cat x sophie track being boring and then it go to the chorus and it fuckin bangs!!! sophie owns

mr stroke

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html?mid=fb-share-thecut

On March 14, I flew from Miami to the island of Great Exuma to get the planning started. I was excited, at least at first. Flying in, the water looked beautiful — but I was almost immediately warned not to go near it because of a rampant shark problem. That was an omen I regrettably missed.

After we landed, we drove to the festival site to assess our goods. When we arrived, my initial reaction was “huh.” This was not a model-filled private cay that was owned by Pablo Escobar. This was a development lot covered in gravel with a few tractors scattered around. There was not enough space to build all the tents and green rooms they would need. There was not a long, beautiful beach populated by swimming pigs. There were, however, a lot of sand flies that left me looking like I had smallpox. Still, I had hope.

My job as a talent producer was to coordinate travel and on-site logistics with the artists who would be performing: Blink 182, Major Lazer, Disclosure, among others, had already signed on. I would be working with an 11-person team and a few of the festival executives. The production team was all new hires and, before we arrived, we were led to believe things had been in motion for a while. But nothing had been done. Festival vendors weren’t in place, no stage had been rented, transportation had not been arranged. Frankly, we were standing on an empty gravel pit and no one had any idea how we were going to build a festival village from scratch.

Pending disaster aside, I started working from an island rental house. I contacted the booked artists’ tour managers to start to coordinate. Almost all of them had the same question for me, which was along the lines of, “Hey … Where’s our money??” I tried to email the business manager to get an answer, who said something like “stand by” for three days in a row. By the end of the week it became clear they would not pay the people they owed.

On Wednesday, Ja Rule arrived for a “site visit.” I don’t know if he actually visited the “site” but he did spend a lot of time on a yacht, according to his Instagram. Meanwhile the event planners were holed up indoors putting together a game plan and a budget. With so little having been prepared ahead of time, the official verdict was that it would take $50 million to pull off. Planners also warned that it would be not be up to the standard they had advertised. The best idea, they said, would be to roll everyone’s tickets over to 2018 and start planning for the next year immediately. They had a meeting with the Fyre execs to deliver the news. A guy from the marketing team said, “Let’s just do it and be legends, man.”

Hahahahaahaha

Aomber

Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett: ‘We fight over everything’

Well, if anyone's wondering what took Gorillaz 7 years to make an album, here's your answer. Damon and Jamie had a falling out for three years, seems implied that Gorillaz had effectively broken up for a while. The good news is, expect more Gorillaz music. He has 40 more songs to release, and as he states in the Guardian article, Humanz was just the beginning of a lot of exciting stuff to come. Let's just hope that stuff is better than Humanz was.

Anyone attend a DADA LIFE compound event??? Are they really fun? They look fun!

Wife and I are going this Friday at Redocks here in CO. Pretty excited!!!

Aomber

Pretty nice from ATTLAS. I really like stuff that twists in real feeling acoustic instruments with electronic elements and this does that quite nicely - you can really hear that ATTLAS knows piano because it just has that human touch to it

ATTLAS - Further

The EDM scene hasn't been moving fast enough as of late. I haven't heard a great new banger in a while and as much as I like Tiesto's Boom it isn't the song I thought it was going to be after Ultra.

The EDM scene hasn't been moving fast enough as of late. I haven't heard a great new banger in a while and as much as I like Tiesto's Boom it isn't the song I thought it was going to be after Ultra.

Maybe it's because, for me, I just haven't been paying too much attention lately or it's because I'm too focused on the Hardstyle scene.

So I agree with you is what I'm saying. The money is Pop-EDM and I don't think many big names actually want to dive into that genre until they collab with a yuge name. But again maybe it's just because I haven't looked hard enough.

*shrugs*

Sooo.... I'm sure most of y'all have listened to the new Galantis track? Uh, yeah sure.

*scratches head*

They're just begging for a remix aren't they?

Ashhong

wtf is heaven bass? someone tagged a seven lions song as heaven bass. then as I'm listening to anjunabeats songs, the bass reminds me of how aomber described future bass to me, but i mean, anjuna has had this sound for a while.

this shit dont make sense.

Top Bottom