• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Zone - The Pinball Arcade Kickstarter [Ended, $77K funded]

Love the idea but the pricing is definitely put of whack.

This coming from someone who owns an actual TZ table.

Still amazes me that in terms of ROI something I bought for fun has crushed any investment I've made for retirement over the same time period. Paid around $1300 for the table in great shape about a dozen years ago...think they go for $4-5K these days.

BiggNife

Love the idea but the pricing is definitely put of whack.

This coming from someone who owns an actual TZ table.
It's unfortunate, because the actual KS video seems-well-thought out and does a really good job of explaining what the project is and why they need the money in a concise way, but the pricing tiers don't seem well-thought-out at all. I really hope they add new tiers soon.

Jucksalbe

Banned
On top of that... is the owner menu really worth a tenfold increase in donation?

Think of it that way: $100 is something that probably only dedicated pinball fans will pledge. An owner menu is something only dedicated pinball fans would need and use, so it's the appropriate reward for that tier.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
We're 1/8th of the way there!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Backed so hard. They do seriously need to add in a $20 or $30 reward tier though.

For the people saying $10 is too much, psh. Any fan of pinball has gotten way more play worth out of these add-on tables than the paltry amount they charge. $3 is a complete steal, even $10 is basically ripping them off. Considering we now pay $60 for games with 7 hour campaigns, pinball is one of the best deals in the business. I can hardly count how many hours I've already put into Pinball Arcade with four tables at $10, more than I can say for vastly more expensive games.

And honestly other simulators like Visual Pinball don't even come close to Pinball Arcade, even though it does have its random quirks. Considering this is a chance to have one of the most expensive and fun pinball tables accessible in an extremely close approximation for what is a comparatively paltry amount of dough, no fan of pinball can honestly say that it's not worth it.

We're 1/8th of the way there!

of all the kickstarters i've done, this is the only one i'm concerned won't make it. it's also probably the nerdiest. i hope it makes it, and i hope they do get enough overage to do TNG as much as i've soured on that show, i've not soured on that table.

Minsc

Gold Member
Too bad they don't have a 3D pinball arcade you can decorate for the UI of the game yet, they could throw in some virtual posters as a $25 reward. Documentary would be an obvious choice for a missing reward, the videos on how they digitize the game are neat, but I dunno if they suffer from the seen one, seen them all effect. A spot in the table's credits could be another tier too I suppose, but there's gotta be other good stuff they can add.

nexen

Really hope they make it. I've never played Twilight Zone but I really want more tables on Pinball Arcade.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
i pledged $15 even though i own the 360 version and chose no reward, but it's not going to help them not to have any tiers of reward between 10 and 100.
True that for the general public, it probably doesn't help them to not have lots of rewards.
Hopefully the dedicated come through.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Will pay $50 for Jurassic Park.

Here's a chance to put your money where your mouth is, if they can't drum up support for the most highly regarded pinball of all time, I doubt they'll try and license a blockbuster movie franchise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1 person has already bid over $500, according to the chart on the right side of the page.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I went ahead and put a $10 on.

So now I either am, or am not, a part of the problem depending on what you think of Kickstarter, ha!

mclem

Here's a chance to put your money where your mouth is, if they can't drum up support for the most highly regarded pinball of all time, I doubt they'll try and license a blockbuster movie franchise.

I thought The Addams Family had the edge, there? I'm aware it's an extremely close-run thing, though.

Blu10

Yes. It seems like Microsoft doesn't allow them to provide a code for the DLC, whyever that may be. But it's still coming to XBLA, they simply can't offer it as a reward.

Edit: beaten.

Did they officially say this? If so I'm in for twenty even if I get nothing for it but the opportunity to play it at home without plunking 5k down

5amshift

Banned
Legendary table in my opinion. I remember playing this when I was about 8 years old at an arcade. Loving it and may pledge.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did they officially say this? If so I'm in for twenty even if I get nothing for it but the opportunity to play it at home without plunking 5k down

No, but the wording they use in the reward tiers strongly suggests that that's how it is. If you want to, you can wait a few more days. People are asking about this in the comments section, so I guess they will clarify this soon.

Zabka

In for 10. I love the Pinball Arcade even though the stupid game makes me log in multiple times on my iPad.

Shaneus

God, I want the Star Trek TNG table... what a tease in that description. Of course, if this was a TNG kickstarter, I'd probably be more willing to donate to it.

(Also the World Cup 94 table is drilled into my brain... that stupid dog mascot).

It's too bad all this old stuff is trapped in licensing hell though.
So much this. If they mentioned ST:TNG at the top, I wouldn't have given it another thought.

But I remember mentioning this in an older post... how do you incentivise something like this? I might just throw in $10-15 or so and if it comes close, I'll up it. But they SORELY need something b/w $10 and $100. Perhaps a promise of more/some DLC thrown in down the line?

And still, NEED A MENTION OF A PC VERSION.

I like Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Circus Voltaire, and Attack from Mars more than this table but I'll fund it.
You know CV just came out, right? Also, I think this thing is about as much about showing enthusiasm for moar big-name tables in general than just TZ. Like how the Double Fine KS was more about showing passion for adventure games than just a DF adventure game.

Vandiger

So much this. If they mentioned ST:TNG at the top, I wouldn't have given it another thought.

But I remember mentioning this in an older post... how do you incentivise something like this? I might just throw in $10-15 or so and if it comes close, I'll up it. But they SORELY need something b/w $10 and $100. Perhaps a promise of more/some DLC thrown in down the line?

And still, NEED A MENTION OF A PC VERSION.

You know CV just came out, right? Also, I think this thing is about as much about showing enthusiasm for moar big-name tables in general than just TZ. Like how the Double Fine KS was more about showing passion for adventure games than just a DF adventure game.

Goddamn, I'll have to pick it up for Vita. Didn't know it was out, thank you!!!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Goddamn, I'll have to pick it up for Vita. Didn't know it was out, thank you!!!

It's not out for Vita yet, though (only iOS and Android, I think), you will probably have to wait another 3 weeks or so. Also, from your list Attack From Mars is already confirmed to be released later on (I think they said it's supposed to be among the first 10 tables).

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I don't really know the cabinets themselves, but I fucking love pinball in general so much. I'll keep an eye on it and eventually back if they offer a new reward tier between $10 and $100.

Plinko

This needs to be forwarded to the owners of some of those huge pinball halls in Nevada and Texas. Perhaps they'd be willing to help.

BiggNife

You guys can pledge more than $10 if you wanted to, it shouldn't be about rewards.

Uh, having rewards is a huge reason why Kickstarter is successful. Can't you see how it would bother someone if they donated $50 and got the exact same reward if someone funded with $10?

I'm an unemployed recent college graduate. If I end up backing for more than $10 there has to be a reason more than just goodwill.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The nice thing about this is that it reaffirms the 3DS release while also mentioning a Wii U release.

I wonder if we'll see 3DS/Wii U double packs, like the PS3/Vita version.

Cardigan

I feel like the pledge amounts are out of whack and FarSight would make a lot more money if they were more reasonably priced. It's $500 (on top of the $500 for beta testing) for a signed copy of the Williams Collection. Why not charge $100 or something along those lines and get a bunch more backers?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I messaged to tell them they needed more reward tiers:

me said:
Seriously dudes, you have got to add a $25 or $40 reward tier, even if the rewards for them are negligible. Something like a signed letter of support or something from the developers... lots of people are going to come here and would impulse click them, you're leaving money on the table.

They just responded:

That's a good idea. We'll be adding some more reward tiers.

So, more tiers on the way, looks like.

Agent X

These guys need to fix the horrible bugs that plague the PlayStation 3 and Vita versions before pleading to the public to hit them up for extra cash.

A busted game with a shiny new coat of DLC is still busted.

Top Bottom