• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

FelipeMGM

What games have they made?

they are one of the studios who worked on WipEout Omega Collection and they also made When Vikings Attack for the PS3, a game published by SIE

I think if Sony would want to publish it, they would have closed the deal already due to their very close relationship

Shin-Ra

What games have they made?
vikings-banner.png
vikings-relax-banner.png

WipEoutOmega.png
Unless they've got two games going at once, the game they're pitching they consider to be AAA.

I think if Sony would want to publish it, they would have closed the deal already due to their very close relationship
You could say the same of Supermassive Games.

After shipping a much higher profile game than before, they're probably hopeful of several publishers bidding and getting a more favourable contract.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I guess some here will be interested, embargo for Uncharted The Lost Legacy reviews drops August 17 at 00:00 PST time

Oh hell yeah!!! Five days before the official release date...woohoo!!!

90+ metacritic incoming baby!!! Can't wait!!! 8 more days!!!

they are one of the studios who worked on WipEout Omega Collection and they also made When Vikings Attack for the PS3, a game published by SIE

WipEout Omega collection that I know of.

Unless they've got two games going at once, the game they're pitching they consider to be AAA.

After shipping a much higher profile game than before, they're probably hopeful of several publishers bidding and getting a more favourable contract.
Thanks, y'all.

Help'em out, Sony!

We are already talking about PGW which will happen late in the year while we still aren't sure if Sony will hold a conference at the imminent GamesCom or show anything at all. What happened? Did Sony ignore GamesCom in favor of PGW?

Skeeter49

We are already talking about PGW which will happen late in the year while we still aren't sure if Sony will hold a conference at the imminent GamesCom or show anything at all. What happened? Did Sony ignore GamesCom in favor of PGW?

If Sony was doing a conference at Gamescom, we would have known already. They'll have some stuff, but nothing new, same as E3 most likely on the show floor.

Why PGW, It's for two reasons. Lack of competition, and to put some distance between E3 and their next show. My guess anyway.

They don't have to compete with Microsoft or Nintendo when they're at PGW, because Microsoft and Nintendo aren't there in the same way. They also have time to make new builds for new games, maybe Days Gone will be playable now, maybe they can show a new demo, maybe Dreams needed more time, Wild etc. There are also a lot of games out between now and PGW, meaning they can talk about new games without the games nearing release holding them back.

I always love the twitter hints at reviews/ impressions.

At least it's not another AAA third person game....o wait maybe that's why it doesn't get any attention in the first place 🤷🏽*♂️
Theoretically you could make a third person shooter in Dreams, so nope, Dreams is just another generic AAA third person shooter.
I'm excited for Dreams.

Nice interview...but more "get this in a box" and less lunch time "Jam sessions" please Media Molecule. If this thing is really great, I'm ready to play it already and start expressing myself.

TsuWave

didn't know people that had bought triple pack expansion were getting Lost Legacy for the $Free.99 and i also forgot i bought UC4 with triple pack expansion so after seeing the review scores i thought "fuck, i'm gonna have to buy this", went to the store and it said "not available for purchase. you already own triple pack expansion" so googled it and found out. it almost feels like getting it for "free".

nice. will hold me down til Destiny 2.

yurinka

I've been wondering... what if Sucker Punch new game was not a new IP? What if it was a reboot of an old franchise? Which SIE IP has melee combat as part of its core gameplay?

EDIT: With Sly Cooper 15th anniversary coming up, is there a possibility Sony could be prepping a reboot ala Ratchet and Clank (2016)?
Let's hope Sucker Punch is rebooting Syphon Filter. I hate Sly Cooper.

I've been wondering... what if Sucker Punch new game was not a new IP? What if it was a reboot of an old franchise? Which SIE IP has melee combat as part of its core gameplay?

EDIT: With Sly Cooper 15th anniversary coming up, is there a possibility Sony could be prepping a reboot ala Ratchet and Clank (2016)?

It's really hard for me to believe it's taken them this long to release a sequel to something unless their previous project got scrapped, but I would think that would have leaked by now like Sony Santa Monica's did.

No idea why people are down on Dreams. I feel it is going to be amazing.
I've seen it at the February event in 2013. At some point u just get tired of speculating, I'm currently there with dreams. On top of that, there's been no LBP GDC moment for the game that showed a demo that I could see how fun it was going to be.

With Dreams all they have really demoed is how much good artist can express themselves with the tools

Thanks, y'all.

Help'em out, Sony!

I agree with Felipe that due to their previous working relationship they probably pitched it to Sony first, so given they're taking it to Gamescom to shop it around it could mean that Sony were not interested or the two couldn't reach an agreement due to Sony usually wanting the IP of games they publish.

FelipeMGM

I do actually think the Clever Beans job listing and the game they will be ''shopping around'' at Gamescom are actually 2 different projects.

The AAA thing they are working is prob a project like WipEout, where they will work in collaboration with other studios on a title. They are not a big studio, so I doubt they are in that point of developing a AAA game on their own

What they will be pitching at GC is prob something fully internal, and smaller in scope.

Also, I dont think the Supermassive comparison works, seeing how after Until Dawn shipped and they got a bigger recognition, their next 5 announced games were still published by SIE :p

FelipeMGM

While Im talking Supermassive, just last week I realized they are not using Decima for any of their three new projects, its all in UE4. Wonder why

Zukkoyaki

While Im talking Supermassive, just last week I realized they are not using Decima for any of their three new projects, its all in UE4. Wonder why
My theory is that they're "future-proofing" themselves. Learn the major current-gen engine to ensure your staff can effectively work with any publisher just in case the studio ever parts ways with Sony.

Shin-Ra

I do actually think the Clever Beans job listing and the game they will be ''shopping around'' at Gamescon are actually 2 different projects.

The AAA thing they are working is prob a project like WipEout, where they will work in collaboration with other studios on a title. They are not a big studio, so I doubt they are in that point of developing a AAA game on their own

What they will be pitching at GC is prob something fully internal, and smaller in scope.

Also, I dont think the Supermassive comparison works, seeing how after Until Dawn shipped and they got a bigger recognition, their next 5 announced games were still published by SIE :p
Gamescom. 😱

PlayDead's roughly 25+ people at the end of INSIDE development compared to Clever Beans' 12+ credited on WipEout Omega and expanding. PlayDead spend a long time with each game but they're also perfectionists, sorta AAA+.

The Supermassive comparison works exactly because they continued with SIE after announcing their intent to go multi platform.

For all the hate the new direction GTS is taking, I really hope it blows it away with sales. I hate how toxic communities can get over the content they want in the game.

If I see "lazy devs" one more time lol...

For all the hate the new direction GTS is taking, I really hope it blows it away with sales. I hate how toxic communities can get over the content they want in the game.

Lazy comments more like. I hope it does too. Im excited for it that's all I care about

RSchmitz

I'm not so sure about GTS.
I'll skip it because I wanted a career mode.
I feel GTS will be to Gran Turismo what SF V was for Street Fighter.

I hope they are succesful but at the same time I hope there's a regular GT7 after this.

gogojira

I know Uncharted is the current hot Sony exclusive but I held out on Horizon because I wanted a 4K set before playing. Well, I got an OLED set (c7p) last week and I picked up Horizon this afternoon.

Not a lot to add other than I'm super hyped and ready to see Horizon in all its glory. The game looked incredibly in screenshots/videos I've seen, now I get to experience it myself. :D

RSchmitz

I know Uncharted is the current hot Sony exclusive but I held out on Horizon because I wanted a 4K set before playing. Well, I got an OLED set (c7p) last week and I picked up Horizon this afternoon.

Not a lot to add other than I'm super hyped and ready to see Horizon in all its glory. The game looked incredibly in screenshots/videos I've seen, now I get to experience it myself. :D

It's beautiful at 1080p too. I had no complaints.

farisr

What I hate is some people acting like every single decision made for the game is the best decision that could've been made and that any criticism aimed at the game (especially for the things that they just so happen to not care about) should not be happening and people should just accept everything that they're being given.

That kind of attitude would've led to an always online xbox one.

Top Bottom