• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Has there be a fight where there isn't a clear rooting interest since Blackwater? I can't think of one offhand. If this season is full of fighting, I hope the battles at least take cues from that episode instead of the good vs. evil of Bastards and Hardhome.

I sort of get the impression that GRRM is building Dany up as an anti-villain in the books. Not sure if the TV series will go that route though

I know it's been discussed already but I still disagree with splitting threads at this point. There isn't a single thing left the show will take from books (maybe some minute details with Sam?) and it would be nice to have one very active thread.

I know it's been discussed already but I still disagree with splitting threads at this point. There isn't a single thing left the show will take from books (maybe some minute details with Sam?) and it would be nice to have one very active thread.

Maybe for the final season we can all come together for the potential shit-show of a thread that would be.

How long do you think the "Previously on Game of Thrones" length will it be like 9 minutes and take the episode down to only 50 minutes?

The runtimes on HBO's schedule online do not include previously on, HBO ad play at the beginning, or any content after the episode. The times on GO/NOW however, do include those, so you'll see inflated times there.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if D and D think they're clever for doing this

Roose-Bolton-Ramsay.gif

regards-1462204539.gif

arya-killing-walder-frey.gif

9wN96.gif

hqdefault.jpg

1473895305-ramsay-bolton.jpg

Not gonna say any more than that, but I think they write every death past the books this way.

duckroll

It was discussed and decided, no one cares that you disagree, the discussion is over. Try again next season.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Had to do some serious catching up, but I marathoned both s5 & 6 to be ready for the new season. Overall I'd say s5 was the weakest of them all and 6 is a vast improvement. Some things that stood out

- Barristan gets a very anticlimactic exit
- Everything Dorne was a joke, with the Sand Snakes being the worst offenders. The fight scene in the garden, the bad pussy, Areo Hotah... It was such a cathartic moment when Olenna told all the Sand Snakes to shut up in the final episode. It's a shame to see this region condensed to a few characters. Executing Doran and Areo was them just slaughtering and giving up on anything Dorne. I get streamlining, but they gave us some terrible tv instead. D&D did Dorne dirty.
- No Aegon then? So I'd guess his entire storyline goes nowhere in the books too. I always expected him to have some kind of impact. Maybe GRRM still does...
- The impact of Ramsay's cruelty diminished as time went on. Early on I felt dread when he was on screen, but it was high time for him to go.
- The final two episodes of s6 were pretty amazing back to back. Battle of the Bastards was great from a visual standpoint, but the finale was the more rounded and fully realized ep. One of the best in the series. Same for Hardhome.
- Always felt like Jaime's turning against Cersei was a great development of the character. Final shot makes me think that's finally going to happen now? She literally did what Aerys would've done, no way he condones this.
- Not a big fan of Arya's plot. It meandered around until she finally realized she couldn't escape who she was. And as she's wielding Needle, Jaqen says she finally became 'no one'... Eh not really? Unless I'm missing something from that scene.
- I was pretty sure 'Frey pie' wouldn't be a thing, until it was. I also didn't like how it was lazily inserted. In the book it wasn't even outright stated, but here you get hammered over the head with it. Arya's Frey kill also seemed so sudden. She spends ages in Braavos, then in her next appearance she's already next to Frey. I guess they just wanted the surprise factor.

Would've loved to read all this first and I'm curious how George's version differs, but it's pretty exciting to see this either way. It's been 6 years since DwD, I just want to see the story move on at this point and at least the show is providing that.

Just watched the s7 trailer... glad I'm caught up :eek:

I sort of get the impression that GRRM is building Dany up as an anti-villain in the books. Not sure if the TV series will go that route though

Not sure what an anti-villain is? Is it an anti-hero or the opposite of an anti-hero?

Personally, I do find Danny's talk of taking "what is rightfully hers" in Westeros to be gross. She wants to kill tens of thousands of foot soldiers and burn down cities to liberate people who aren't slaves. (They are serfs, sort of, but she hasn't said shit about ending that.) I don't see how she's much different from Cersei as a leader.

Team Jon!

ryseing

Not sure what an anti-villain is? Is it an anti-hero or the opposite of an anti-hero?

Personally, I do find Danny's talk of taking "what is rightfully hers" in Westeros to be gross. She wants to kill tens of thousands of foot soldiers and burn down cities to liberate people who aren't slaves. (They are serfs, sort of, but she hasn't said shit about ending that.) I don't see how she's much different from Cersei as a leader.

Team Jon!

She's also bringing over nomads primarily known for sacking and raping.

It's gonna be great.

Speevy

Banned
As I've pointed out a thousand times, there is no "peace' in Westeros.

No farmers peacefully tending their fields, no families growing up in the Riverlands, nothing.

There is always something to rule but the only people who matter are the great houses.

Imagine if they had built up an entire society of common people in Westeros who had reactions to the happenings around the capital.

She's also bringing over nomads primarily known for sacking and raping.

It's gonna be great.

Oh don't worry. Dany will give a vague speech and the Dothraki will change their entire culture because she is a Pretty White Girl.

As we all know, rape is evil but murder is fine.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Team Jon!
She's coming to break the wheel!

Speevy

Banned
Don't worry about Dany.. Tyrion, who's had 4 conversations with her, will talk her out of every drastic decision she might make, enabling Cersei to fuck them over.

Moff

Remember when they made Tyrion a good guy even after he murdered his father and lover? Good times.

Remember when they made Ned the good guy after he murdered a dude whose only crime was to run away from invincible undead? those hacks.

An-Det

Glad the premier is finally here. Had to call my mom up since I knew she'd forget about it, but I can't wait.

Is anyone else playing the Ringer Thrones Mortality Pool? I'm doing my list for the first episode and I'm drawing a blank on 2-5 since I expect it to be a chill episode as far as main character deaths go. Number 1 I think is a safer bet after what Cersei did end of Season 6. I could see Grey Worm dying to take King's Landing, but not Dragonstone which it seems they go to first, and no one else seems to be in immediate danger.

Something that struck me while rewatching the series this summer was how much Brienne's actress has improved. She is great now (imo), but she was rough in season 2.

Edit: haha, I think Septon Unella has a pretty grim future.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Glad the premier is finally here. Had to call my mom up since I knew she'd forget about it, but I can't wait.

Is anyone else playing the Ringer Thrones Mortality Pool? I'm doing my list for the first episode and I'm drawing a blank on 2-5 since I expect it to be a chill episode as far as main character deaths go. Number 1 I think is a safer bet after what Cersei did end of Season 6. I could see Grey Worm dying to take King's Landing, but not Dragonstone which it seems they go to first, and no one else seems to be in immediate danger.

do you actually have to see them die on the show to count? because i could see unella never mentioned again and you're just meant to imagine what happened to her.

An anti-hero is a hero with some morally questionable traits

An anti-villain is a villain who has some sympathetic traits.

Basically this. Plus her ADWD arc was basically about her trying out a diplomatic, peaceful path to deal with her troubles in Mereen, only to turn turn to fire and blood at the end.

An-Det

do you actually have to see them die on the show to count? because i could see unella never mentioned again and you're just meant to imagine what happened to her.

I assume they have to die/show a corpse on-screen, but yeah I could see that happening too.

Brakke

Banned
We can't join the threads because this thread is a shitshow and the unsullied didn't do anything to deserve us.

Steejee

Had to do some serious catching up, but I marathoned both s5 & 6 to be ready for the new season. Overall I'd say s5 was the weakest of them all and 6 is a vast improvement. Some things that stood out

- Everything Dorne was a joke, with the Sand Snakes being the worst offenders. The fight scene in the garden, the bad pussy, Areo Hotah... It was such a cathartic moment when Olenna told all the Sand Snakes to shut up in the final episode. It's a shame to see this region condensed to a few characters. Executing Doran and Areo was them just slaughtering and giving up on anything Dorne. I get streamlining, but they gave us some terrible tv instead. D&D did Dorne dirty.
- No Aegon then? So I'd guess his entire storyline goes nowhere in the books too. I always expected him to have some kind of impact. Maybe GRRM still does...
- The impact of Ramsay's cruelty diminished as time went on. Early on I felt dread when he was on screen, but it was high time for him to go.
- The final two episodes of s6 were pretty amazing back to back. Battle of the Bastards was great from a visual standpoint, but the finale was the more rounded and fully realized ep. One of the best in the series. Same for Hardhome.
- Always felt like Jaime's turning against Cersei was a great development of the character. Final shot makes me think that's finally going to happen now? She literally did what Aerys would've done, no way he condones this.
- Not a big fan of Arya's plot. It meandered around until she finally realized she couldn't escape who she was. And as she's wielding Needle, Jaqen says she finally became 'no one'... Eh not really? Unless I'm missing something from that scene.
- I was pretty sure 'Frey pie' wouldn't be a thing, until it was. I also didn't like how it was lazily inserted. In the book it wasn't even outright stated, but here you get hammered over the head with it. Arya's Frey kill also seemed so sudden. She spends ages in Braavos, then in her next appearance she's already next to Frey. I guess they just wanted the surprise factor.

Would've loved to read all this first and I'm curious how George's version differs, but it's pretty exciting to see this either way. It's been 6 years since DwD, I just want to see the story move on at this point and at least the show is providing that.

Just watched the s7 trailer... glad I'm caught up :eek:

I don't think George has any idea what he's going to do yet.

S5 was where they were basically stuck between the books and doing their own thing. Hardhome, to me, was a "Here's what happens when we they opt to really deviate from the books" episode, and blew me away. I had not watched the preview for it and was stunned that it focused so clearly on one thing. Admittedly the completely chill rower at the end makes me laugh (as does the Gendry is the rower jokes).

S6 they were almost entirely free of the books, and it really helped. I feel like a lot of your complaints are tied to those moments that were still tied to them trying to work book storylines in. Sand Snakes is one spot I feel like they dropped the ball horribly and sticking closer to the books could have been the better option. Then again, with a certain suitor from Dorne missing from the show, perhaps that wasn't going to happen.

I disagree on Barristan - while I would have liked to see him stick around on the show a bit longer, I felt his final fight was befitting. He beat back a lot of assassins, but at the same time the showed that as good as he was, age and numbers could still bring down a legend. Stannis' death, by comparison, felt a bit more anticlimatic, but I suppose that was the point.

Super hyped for S7. While the show can't really surprise as much as it used to, that's somewhat inevitable as gets to the point where it has to resolve plotlines rather than spinning off new ones.

Couldn't agree more on all points. The way Barristan was unceremoniously dispatched will never sit well with me. Dude's sworn to protect Dany, conveniently goes for a "walk" right before the Sons of the Harpy attack and, upon hearing alarm bells sound, Barristan, instead of rushing back to Dany's side to make sure she's safe, inconceivably decides to go rushing into the darkest alley he can find. We then watch one of the greatest two or three swordsmen of this era, armed with a longsword and in full armor, get ploughed by dudes in robes with daggers. Left me wondering why in the fuck they even brought him back after S1. The only purpose he ever served after resurfacing in the East was giving Dany counsel, which she flatly ignored 100% of the time.

Dorne goes without saying. They should have just skipped all of it in retrospect.

I thought S6 was largely great other than the Ramsay fatigue you mentioned and Arya's story line. Like, outside of giving her something to do for two seasons while they moved other pieces around the board, what in the fuck actually happened in terms of progression for Arya? She failed miserably at becoming a 'faceless man' at every turn, but still gets to spend the rest of the series, presumably, running around Westeros killing people on her little list while wearing other people's faces. Like, this is an ancient order with established rules and global reach, but she gets a free pass because "fuck your rules, and fuck your God. I'm going to go galavanting around like I'm one of you, crossing people I don't like off my list now. And you're going to let me, because reasons."

Yeah, OK.

Gigglepoo

Remember when they made Ned the good guy after he murdered a dude whose only crime was to run away from invincible undead? those hacks.

That scene established Ned as a character who does what his moral code tells him without questioning if it's right or not. His inability to understand nuance is that ultimately lead to his demise.

Speevy

Banned
A good rule of thumb is whenever a character tells another character not to kill someone, and they follow that advice, that turns out to bite them in the ass.

Or if a character tells another character to kill someone, and they don't follow that advice, that turns out to bite them in the ass.

Or if you're a Stark male and you either kill someone or don't kill someone, that's always the wrong choice.

Team Jon!

Yeah, on Binge Mode they touched on Dany's instinct typically being to take the most violent and destructive path and Tyrion's influence on her to try to temper that instinct. It'll be interesting to see how she handles that in Westeros.

Moff

That scene established Ned as a character who does what his moral code tells him without questioning if it's right or not. His inability to understand nuance is that ultimately lead to his demise.

no one doubts that.
what I am saying is, is that you can have a character kill someone, even unarmed, and still make him the good guy. tywin wanted tyrion dead his whole life and would have finally have him killed for a crime he did not commit. it's completely fine to have Tyrion kill Tywin and still let him be a "good" character, he certainly had more "good" reasons to kill him than Ned had for the deserter.

NeoGiff

Something that struck me while rewatching the series this summer was how much Brienne's actress has improved. She is great now (imo), but she was rough in season 2.

Edit: haha, I think Septon Unella has a pretty grim future.

I like Gwen as a person, but can't stand her as Brienne. She's one of the most obnoxious characters in the show, enunciates every word as if she's talking to children, and is weirdly prone to anger/violence as her first port of call in every situation.

Top Bottom