• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

I cancelled my preorder of Kick Ass 4K from Best Buy since I got it from amazon for $13 the other day. Best Buy decided to send it to me a day early instead. It still shows as cancelled and I haven't been charged for it. So, cool. I guess I got it for free.

J_Viper

Best Buy has a B1G1 for a few Lionsgate 4k discs, including Dredd, The Expendables, John Wick, and 3:10 to Yuma.

I cancelled my preorder of Kick Ass 4K from Best Buy since I got it from amazon for $13 the other day. Best Buy decided to send it to me a day early instead. It still shows as cancelled and I haven't been charged for it. So, cool. I guess I got it for free.
I'm calling the cops

wish iTunes would let you view bitrates.. I was looking at my Google WiFi while watching Bram Stoker's Dracula and the Apple TV 4K was consuming anywhere between 25Mbps and 66Mbps.. wondering what the actual bitrate is.

Shame you can't download the files, because that could give you a clue.

Blade Runner is a very pretty movie

wish iTunes would let you view bitrates.. I was looking at my Google WiFi while watching Bram Stoker's Dracula and the Apple TV 4K was consuming anywhere between 25Mbps and 66Mbps.. wondering what the actual bitrate is.

Shame you can't download the files, because that could give you a clue.

Enabled the developer HUD on my Apple TV 4K, Blade Runner looks like it's running at around 26-30Mbps bitrate.

Edit: so hey, maybe all you A/V nerds can help me out, I’m legitimately confused. So the developer HUD on the Apple TV has been fascinating, tells a lot of information. Currently the one confusing me is what frame rate stuff runs at. I was under the (maybe completely misguided) impression that movies ran at 24fps and tv shows ran at 30fps, but so far every single things I’ve streamed regardless of the source reports at around 24fps. Blue Planet and Parks and Rec and DareDevil through Netflix, Harvey Birdman through Hulu, Veep through HBO Go, Rick and Morty through iTunes, etc. All of them reporting 24fps to the HUD. The only exception I’ve found is an old Jimmy Carr standup special I bought on iTunes like ten years ago, that runs at 30fps.

So like, what gives? Misreporting or does really everything run at 24fps?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
what do have you have your video settings from apple tv at? 4K60HDR? 4K24?

edit - though a lot of what you just described actually makes sense at 24fps. It's way more common to shoot studio content at 24fps (because almost all of the equipment is already 24fps) at the same time allowing for better encoding at the same bitrate (or smaller files at the same quality).

but that is just a theory. the hud could also be wrong.

edit 2 - oh yeah, it is wrong to assume TV shows are 30fps. In fact most TV shows probably are 24fps, going back to almost all non-sitcoms (and even eventually many sitcoms) being shot on film and telecined to video. switching over to HD recording, most shows maintained 24fps so they looked the same as the earlier seasons shot on film. then new shows wanted to keep a consistent look with existing shows, etc. it's why we lost the "sitcom" or "soap opera" look on prime time tv. because it was cheaper just to shoot everything on film knowing it would eventually go to DVD. similarly with cartoons.. it was originally just cheaper to animate to 12 cells per second and then double copy the cells to film before bringing them to video.

edit - though a lot of what you just described actually makes sense at 24fps. It's way more common to shoot studio content at 24fps (because almost all of the equipment is already 24fps) at the same time allowing for better encoding at the same bitrate (or smaller files at the same quality).

edit 2 - oh yeah, it is wrong to assume TV shows are 30fps. In fact most TV shows probably are 24fps, going back to almost all non-sitcoms (and even eventually many sitcoms) being shot on film and telecined to video. switching over to HD recording, most shows maintained 24fps so they looked the same as the earlier seasons shot on film. then new shows wanted to keep a consistent look with existing shows, etc. it's why we lost the "sitcom" or "soap opera" look on prime time tv. because it was cheaper just to shoot everything on film knowing it would eventually go to DVD. similarly with cartoons.. it was originally just cheaper to animate to 12 cells per second and then double copy the cells to film before bringing them to video.

The video output doesn't matter for the developer HUD, it just tells you what the source is running at.

Yeah, I did a bit more research this morning and it seems like TV shows are 24fps as well as movies, which hey, the more you know. But now I consider it even more important than ever that the Apple TV get auto-switching of modes, because unless it's doing some processing of its own to reverse the pull down of playing a 24p source in 60p output, my TV doesn't do that.

Edit: the TCL 55P607 can cleanly play a 24p source without having to change any settings, but it has no way to cleanly play a 24p video through a 60p output, at all.

The video output doesn't matter for the developer HUD, it just tells you what the source is running at. L

Yeah, I did a bit more research this morning and it seems like TV shows are 24fps as well as movies, which hey, the more
you know. But now I consider it even more important than ever that the Apple TV get auto-switching of modes, because unless it's doing some processing of its own to reverse the pull down of playing a 24p source in 60p output, my TV doesn't do that.

Yeah I think many shows are 24fps to give that professional cinematic look.

The nightly news for example would be 60 fps

Finally got a chance to open up my Re-Animator Limited Edition. This set is a beauty. Gonna watch the Integral Version in a little bit. I hope I won't have to buy this movie again for a very long time.
What did you think of the transfer? I'm looking to upgrade from my neon green Millenium DVD but there's been a few releases in between.

Scavenger

What did you think of the transfer? I'm looking to upgrade from my neon green Millenium DVD but there's been a few releases in between.
The Arrow Video Re-Animator Blu-ray is the best release yet. It's sourced from the same excellent 4K restoration that was first used on the German Blu-ray, but this time with a better encode from David Mackenzie. My only beef with the restoration is that there are vertical scratches that weren't cleaned up.

Arrow Video release also has the correct opening credits without the automatic scratch removal mistake of the German Blu-ray.

Westonian

Digital pricing is always in this weird purgatory because Studios (and this goes for games too) don't want to undercut brick and mortar retailers who are still the vast majority of their sales. So instead of being reasonable and selling the streaming only version fpr much less than I can get a physical UHD + HD Blu-ray + digital UHD, they sell one third of that for that package same price.

Bananas.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

The Arrow Video Re-Animator Blu-ray is the best release yet. It's sourced from the same excellent 4K restoration that was first used on the German Blu-ray, but this time with a better encode from David Mackenzie. My only beef with the restoration is that there are vertical scratches that weren't cleaned up.

Arrow Video release also has the correct opening credits without the automatic scratch removal mistake of the German Blu-ray.

Yep. Unless you're a diehard fan of the R-Rated cut, which was omitted from this release, this Arrow set is the one to get. No framing issues, no weird DNR or compression going on, and the color timing is on point. You also get both Unrated and Integral cuts ( I think I still prefer unrated).

The scratches that Scavenger mentioned is a legit complaint, not sure why they didn't clean that up. Some will have issues (still) with the slightly soft image of this film, but that's Re-Animator and it's true to source.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

4K 24fps... HDR/DV/non depending on content, but really it's just a Star Trek / HDR movie box for me right now until Apple fixes it to do native framerate and colorspace

Superman: The Movie - Extended Cut and Special Edition 2-pack is out today. Here's a review from Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-The-Movie-Blu-ray/189338/#Review
4Cxh9Mp.jpg
Also DC related, Best Buy is getting new illustrated steelbook versions of the DC Extended Universe movies at the end of the month. These should go well with the recent Wonder Woman one.

Superman: The Movie - Extended Cut and Special Edition 2-pack is out today. Here's a review from Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Superman-The-Movie-Blu-ray/189338/#Review

Also DC related, Best Buy is getting new illustrated steelbook versions of the DC Extended Universe movies at the end of the month. These should go well with the recent Wonder Woman one.
Suicide Squad has a terrible cover fitting a terrible movie.
Those Man of Steel and BvS covers are dope though.

aravuus

What extra disc issue? My copy of it should be arriving tomorrow or Friday. It's not gonna break my BD player, burn down my house and call my mom a bitch if I put the extras disc into the player?

What extra disc issue? My copy of it should be arriving tomorrow or Friday. It's not gonna break my BD player, burn down my house and call my mom a bitch if I put the extras disc into the player?
No, most copies are just missing a special features disc that's supposed to be included.

Man, watching th UHD of Starship Troopers made me feel as excited as the first time I've seen it and I've easily seen it 20 plus times. Lots of fun details in the background I've never missed and hit damn the space plasma scenes were cool.
Very happy with that purchase.

How is the Ghostbuster collection (I an II) ? Two of my favorite movies but am willing for a better transfer down the road if this one isn't up to par as a movie from the 80s can be.

So, wife and I just watched Blade Runner. Fucking great looking movie in 4K. My disc has an error on it, though. It fucks up at the end, right as Batty is picking Deckard up and tossing him onto the roof. Tried it on another player and it does it there as well, so definitely a disk issue. So, that kind of sucks.

Seriously fantastic looking movie in 4K, though. I was sitting there stunned the whole time.

Went all in on 4k a moment ago with the purchase of a 75" Sony x900, new Yamaha receiver (383), and the x800 4k player from Sony. Can't wait for the delivery this weekend.

Sorry if this has been addressed but I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with 4k disc compatibility on an Xbox One S. I purchased The Mummy (1999) 4k UHD and my Xbox will not read it. Every other 4k disc works and I had the disc exchanged in case it was faulty.

Looking online it seems I'm not alone, people had similar issues with Deadpool.

I contacted Universal to open a ticket but I doubt that will go anywhere. Anyone else run into this?

Sorry if this has been addressed but I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with 4k disc compatibility on an Xbox One S. I purchased The Mummy (1999) 4k UHD and my Xbox will not read it. Every other 4k disc works and I had the disc exchanged in case it was faulty.

I contacted Universal to open a ticket but I doubt that will go anywhere. Anyone else run into this?

The last update reset the display settings on my box. Go in there and double check to see if the settings are set for 4K. You may have to do a hard reboot.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How is the Ghostbuster collection (I an II) ? Two of my favorite movies but am willing for a better transfer down the road if this one isn't up to par as a movie from the 80s can be.

I have the first one on apple tv (I have both, but apple/sony haven't upgraded 2 to 4K yet). as a huge fan of the movie, it's background and efforts to restore and bring it to various media over the years (all the way back to remastered laser disc).. I really doubt there is ever going to be another transfer of this. It looks about as good as a clean film from the 80s can look.

Not a major fan of the HDR. It looks good.. but it's a bit more in your face than movies of the era would typically have been. it's all subjective though.

but the objective quality of the transfer.. being it was shot at 35mm this is likely the best print we are ever going to get (which is a good thing. pristine)

JdFoX187

Banned

I'm really hoping the Xbox One X drive will be better, or these issues will be, somehow, ironed out by then. I plan on using it as my backup 4K UHD player in the bedroom, but these reports have me concerned.

I'm really hoping the Xbox One X drive will be better, or these issues will be, somehow, ironed out by then. I plan on using it as my backup 4K UHD player in the bedroom, but these reports have me concerned.
I'm hoping it's software related and can be patched because I'll honestly be pissed if their solution is for me to spend $600 on a new box when I just bought this 12 months ago

I think honestly it's software related as I've had my Xbox one S UHD drive replaced and had same issues. I've noticed the same or similar issues are happening on the windows pc UHD drives as well. Seeing as the Xbox one is basically a windows 10 pc it makes sense to me. Probably has a lot to do with the stupid crazy DRM requirements surrounding UHD.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think honestly it's software related as I've had my Xbox one S UHD drive replaced and had same issues. I've noticed the same or similar issues are happening on the windows pc UHD drives as well. Seeing as the Xbox one is basically a windows 10 pc it makes sense to me. Probably has a lot to do with the stupid crazy DRM requirements surrounding UHD.

That makes sense. I sold my PS3 back in the day, thinking I could use the blu-ray drive in my PC to watch my movies. After a month of fighting with software and constant errors, I bought a cheap blu-ray player. The DRM they keep adding is just absolutely ridiculous.

That makes sense. I sold my PS3 back in the day, thinking I could use the blu-ray drive in my PC to watch my movies. After a month of fighting with software and constant errors, I bought a cheap blu-ray player. The DRM they keep adding is just absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah its bizarre. At least they're including the regular blu ray in the package, and that works fine. But even more baffling as I dont know why the DRM would be different between the two discs

I have the first one on apple tv (I have both, but apple/sony haven't upgraded 2 to 4K yet). as a huge fan of the movie, it's background and efforts to restore and bring it to various media over the years (all the way back to remastered laser disc).. I really doubt there is ever going to be another transfer of this. It looks about as good as a clean film from the 80s can look.

Not a major fan of the HDR. It looks good.. but it's a bit more in your face than movies of the era would typically have been. it's all subjective though.

but the objective quality of the transfer.. being it was shot at 35mm this is likely the best print we are ever going to get (which is a good thing. pristine)

Thanks, you.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How is the blade runner uhd? I am going to rent it from vudu tonight. Worth $10 rental?

I'm mostly interested in hdr.

Not the version I was planning to get, but I'm tired of looking/waiting and just found this in a Walmart (one that I never go to) bargain bin. I've been searching for any copy for like a year, and all I ever found was the DVD at Best Buy. Every other Blu-ray is always sold out or overpriced online.

I'm glad to finally have it. I've never seen any version of the movie...at least as far as I can remember. But I've always wanted to. I'm planning to watch this with my brothers before watching Blade Runner 2049.

Stanng243

I'm thinking about picking up a digital copy of Batman and Harley Quinn UHD. How is the quality of it? I'm curious how big a difference their is between the UHD and Hd versions. Someday I'll be able to afford a 4k tv, so I can see for myself.

Top Bottom