• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

Hexer06

I WISH I controlled that button, but sadly, I do not. It's a distributed system that propagates the title across servers all over the world. I have no idea how it works.

Achievements did pop for me this morning around 7AM Pacific, which means it's likely working its way through the system right now.

On the no-retry achievements - that just means you can't hit that "retry" button or skip them for the secondary achievement. Exit back to the underground and start the mission again and you can earn the no-retry achievement if you don't die. Honestly, only the final one is the real challenge, which is why it's zero-points (but has a cool concept art award for it!).

Also, if you're new to Phantom Dust, I'd suggest not reading that achievement list - there's some moderate spoilers in there!

Awesome! Thx for chiming in. Can't wait to play this today! Unfortunately I have some of the slowest Internet in the world, so I will have to wait about 3-4 hours after it comes out to play. That's if the game is around 8gb like everyone is saying. Do you by chance know if you can start playing early? Like with only 50% downloaded or something? :D

FyreWulff

think i'll roll PC on this, I have a One but I also have a bandwidth cap now... I'll wait until next month to grab the One version :p

Luckydog

While I'm not a huge PD fan, it is nice to see this get out there. I know that a lot of work went into this, but based on that trailer and how much it shows the original Xbox startup, it almost feels like this is a prelude to OG Xbox back compat.......

Zeta Oni

While I'm not a huge PD fan, it is nice to see this get out there. I know that a lot of work went into this, but based on that trailer and how much it shows the original Xbox startup, it almost feels like this is a prelude to OG Xbox back compat.......

I'm trying to be as pessimistic as possible about that being an E3 bombshell, but I gotta admit I'm starting to think (outside my normal tinfoil hat stuff) they may have actually done something.

Zedox

I'm trying to be as pessimistic as possible about that being an E3 bombshell, but I gotta admit I'm starting to think they may have actually done something.

I think if anything, that they will be re-releasing OG Xbox games rather than doing BC.

Luckydog

I'm trying to be as pessimistic as possible about that being an E3 bombshell, but I gotta admit I'm starting to think (outside my normal tinfoil hat stuff) they may have actually done something.

I had no realistic expectation of that until i saw this trailer. I expected PD to be a oneoff. but the first 45-50 seconds of a 2 minute trailer heavily show the Xbox dash that many may not remember...

edit: I shouldnt say dash but startup.....

Zeta Oni

I think if anything, that they will be re-releasing OG Xbox games rather than doing BC.

Yeah, and I've gone into more detail in the MS first party thread but between the oddness of this whole release, the involvement (and brilliance) of the team at Code Mystics, Phil Spencer's twitter avatar and how much sense it all makes to port these games, I have to agree.

Zedox

Yeah, and I've gone into more detail in the MS first party thread but between the oddness of this whole release, the involvement (and brilliance) of the team at Code Mystics, Phil Spencer's twitter avatar and how much sense it all makes to port these games, I have to agree.

Yea as technically it wouldn't be "THAT" difficult (still difficult) but getting the licenses for past games would be a huge undertaking. If they could get all the MS 1st party games at least, that would be awesome, and some major 3rd party ones. 100 games would suffice imo. The problem would be the achievements.

FyreWulff

Yea as technically it wouldn't be "THAT" difficult (still difficult) but getting the licenses for past games would be a huge undertaking. If they could get all the MS 1st party games at least, that would be awesome, and some major 3rd party ones. 100 games would suffice imo. The problem would be the achievements.

achievements can be done by just monitoring memory addresses/files, don't even need to touch the game itself

edit: if they were emulated.

Zedox

achievements can be done by just monitoring memory addresses/files, don't even need to touch the game itself

edit: if they were emulated.

Truth...i'm just thinking about the amount of work has to be done just to create them as OG Xbox ain't have 'em. I doubt many pubs would want to go through that trouble, but they may...we'll see.

FyreWulff

still not up here

ps as an aside does anyone have this issue where Xbox One DLC shows up as "Durable" ?

6gCRFpq.png

happens no matter which computer i'm signed in on

Hexer06

It's 1:07AM here. End my suffering.
Still have to download it on my terrible internet still

I feel you with the slow Internet. That's why I need this to go up soon. I still won't be able to play for probly 4 hours after it goes up. It would be awesome if it lets you play after 50% is downloaded or something...
Remember when Xbox One and PS4 were announced and they said that games would be able to be played while you download/install them? I can only remember a few games that actually let you do that. Most of them let you start up the main menu and then just come up with "game is still installing." lol

Awesome that this is free. This will be my first time playing it. Can't wait to see what all the fuss is about!

Now I'm just patiently waiting with all of you...

Dinjoralo

Oh hey, I actually found the song from the trailer: Komit, from the album Bible of Dreams.

...That was supposed to let me bide time until the switch got flipped. Eff!

Tsunamo

I feel you with the slow Internet. That's why I need this to go up soon. I still won't be able to play for probly 4 hours after it goes up. It would be awesome if it lets you play after 50% is downloaded or something...
Remember when Xbox One and PS4 were announced and they said that games would be able to be played while you download/install them? I can only remember a few games that actually let you do that. Most of them let you start up the main menu and then just come up with "game is still installing." lol
Yeah it's a bit of a shame it wasn't implimented that commonly (or like you said not it mostly only taking you to the menu anyway)

This is why I love pre-loads aswell, don't have to worry and can download it in advance so when it unlocks it's ready to go.

vort3x

If they start re releasing Xbox games, I will gladly pay money for crimson skies and midtown madness 3!! Do it now Microsoft!

arhra

ps as an aside does anyone have this issue where Xbox One DLC shows up as "Durable" ?

happens no matter which computer i'm signed in on

Well, the opposite of durable would be consumable, so maybe they're planning on splitting the DLC store section between permanent unlocks/new content, and consumables, and this is just part of that change leaking out early?

Zeta Oni

I (or more likely, someone faster) was planning on probably just making a new thread upon it being available that mentions that its free and includes links to the store, the free DLC, and here to the OT.

FyreWulff

Well, the opposite of durable would be consumable, so maybe they're planning on splitting the DLC store section between permanent unlocks/new content, and consumables, and this is just part of that change leaking out early?

Well, I guess it's technically correct.. been like that for months. Such a weird word to use to indicate downloadable content, especially when 360 content uses more clear words on the same site.

arhra

Well, I guess it's technically correct.. been like that for months. Such a weird word to use to indicate downloadable content, especially when 360 content uses more clear words on the same site.

Yeah, I just saw that post about it being part of the API that's just showing in a place it probably shouldn't.

Wish they actually would split DLC between permanent stuff and consumables in the store, though. Would make browsing stuff much easier for some games that have a bunch of both types.

Top Bottom